#2 2013-02-21 12:31:30

Ok, that's sick. Forget my questions about firing on US civilians.

#3 2013-02-21 12:54:15

If you can't earn a bronze star or a purple heart for injuries sustained while rescuing shipwrecked sailors or downed pilots, or busting your ass supporting the grunts, you sure as hell should not get a higher medal for flying a drone from an air conditioned Air Force base.  I'm sorry you don't have a chance to gather the bling, but if that's your motivation, strap on your boots and grab a rifle you fucking puke.

Last edited by phreddy (2013-02-21 18:08:46)

#4 2013-02-21 14:54:19

OK, a video game medal is just fucked.  A special citation for exceptional actions while using a joystick would be a more appropriate way to honor video game jocks.

#5 2013-02-21 15:29:01

phreddy wrote:

If you can't earn a bronze purple heart for injuries sustained while rescuing shipwrecked sailors or downed pilots, or busting your ass supporting the grunts, you sure as hell should not get a higher medal for flying a drone from an air conditioned Air Force base.  I'm sorry you don't have a chance to gather the bling, but if that's your motivation, strap on your boots and grab a rifle you fucking puke.

Wait - the Purple Heart was originally for valor but is now awarded for combat injury.  The Bronze Star is a performance in action award.  This new thing is just shit and I for one would be embarrassed to wear it.

At the end of the day only the CMH and the CAR carry any real weight.

#6 2013-02-21 16:48:44

I think that the lesson you can take home from this is that you don't ever fuck with the VFW. Those old coots have had nothing to do for the last 20 years but talk about how they they were the biggest bad asses in military history and how the little shits playing soldier these days don't have any idea what it's like to hump a 60 lb radio set up the side of Chosin Reservoir, the lazy little fucks. So I can't really see them getting behind this latest medal.

#7 2013-02-21 17:13:31

I'm so disgusted I can't even come up with anything humorous. It's like a medal for the most cowardly act of war.

#8 2013-02-21 17:45:16

GooberMcNutly wrote:

I think that the lesson you can take home from this is that you don't ever fuck with the VFW. Those old coots have had nothing to do for the last 20 years but talk about how they they were the biggest bad asses in military history and how the little shits playing soldier these days don't have any idea what it's like to hump a 60 lb radio set up the side of Chosin Reservoir, the lazy little fucks. So I can't really see them getting behind this latest medal.

Aren't these the same folks that anointed themselves "the greatest generation"?

#9 2013-02-21 18:47:37

opsec wrote:

I'm so disgusted I can't even come up with anything humorous. It's like a medal for the most cowardly act of war.

au contrare.  It is just a more highly advanced act of war. 

I don't hear you crying about how anyone employing a gun is a coward.  Imagine how effective you could kill if you have a gun in a mace and spear fight.

#10 2013-02-21 19:02:07

Lip shitz wrote:

opsec wrote:

I don't hear you crying about how anyone employing a gun is a coward.  Imagine how effective you could kill if you have a gun in a mace and spear fight.

The difference, which you apparently cannot comprehend, is that medals for valor and for being wounded in action are only awarded in situations where the enemy has the intention and ability to kill you on the spot.

#11 2013-02-21 20:23:56

phreddy wrote:

Lip shitz wrote:

opsec wrote:

The difference, which you apparently cannot comprehend, is that medals for valor and for being wounded in action are only awarded in situations where the enemy has the intention and ability to kill you on the spot.

He could get a cramp in his firing finger.

It's just another one of those institutions that was created to make fools feel validation.  I maimed myself so exxon's stock would gain a quarter point, so i need recognition.  Pul-leeeze.

#12 2013-02-22 16:55:10

Emmeran wrote:

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Aren't these the same folks that anointed themselves "the greatest generation"?

20 years ago the Cold War changed.  WFW’s and American Legion are run by Vietnam Era Vets. 
The problem is the rank of the medal not the award itself.

And Lip shitz, I don’t think you get it.

#13 2013-02-22 18:04:07

MSG Tripps wrote:

The problem is the rank of the medal not the award itself.

Exactly.  All military personnel are important in wars, and that includes pencil pushers and truck drivers.  However, awards for valor in combat should not be ranked below one for flying a drone from a safe position.  My take is that this award is affirmative action for the Air Force because apart from pilots and flight crews few of them ever see the heat of battle.

#14 2013-02-22 18:44:53

I'm with Top and Phreddy on this one.

Board footer

cruelery.com