#2 2013-04-04 10:35:13

I didn't realize that they offered full honors now for every swinging dick that ever strapped on a pair of boots; definitely a waste.  Turn it back to where it was, line of duty.

#3 2013-04-04 11:35:05

When I was in Coast Guard boot camp, I was fortunate enough to be selected to the Honor Guard.  We were the only boots who got to leave Government Island, Alameda during the 12 weeks of boot camp.  We marched in parades and got a few hours of freedom.  And, we also performed at funerals.  I can tell you the families of these old vets were very appreciative of the ceremony, complete with rifle salute, taps and presentation of the flag. 

That said, I think the families should be willing to shell out a few bucks to pay for the ceremony.  The vets get buried for free, so the added extras should be borne by the family.

#4 2013-04-04 11:59:29

When my dad died they sent a full bird colonel to play the bagpipes and a rifle salute team.  It was unbelievably meaningful and much appreciated.  I'd pay for that.

#5 2013-04-04 14:56:32

whosasailorthen wrote:

When my dad died they sent a full bird colonel to play the bagpipes and a rifle salute team.  It was unbelievably meaningful and much appreciated.  I'd pay for that.

IMHO it should be based on contribution, combat or exemplary service should be considered.  But a supply clerk in the rear with the gear, well...

#6 2013-04-04 15:02:49

Emmeran wrote:

IMHO it should be based on contribution, combat or exemplary service should be considered.  But a supply clerk in the rear with the gear, well...

Everyone does their part.  Some people have enough sense or education to stay away from the cannon fodder billets.  Sorry to offend, but just like romance, there is something for everyone.  Most of my friends who admit to being gung ho at 19 would never have joined the Marines or the infantry at 25.  Besides, the ceremonies are for the families, who believe their vet was a hero, no matter where he served.

#7 2013-04-04 15:08:04

Funerals are for the living, who already get the festivities, bequests and death bennies without sacrifice. Make 'em fork over. The deceased won't give a fuck.

#8 2013-04-04 15:12:46

Emmeran wrote:

I didn't realize that they offered full honors now for every swinging dick that ever strapped on a pair of boots; definitely a waste.  Turn it back to where it was, line of duty.

Get with the times. Fun fact: not all veterans have dicks.

#9 2013-04-04 15:28:22

Aahhh bullshit Phreddy - serving doesn't make you a hero, that's the part of the First Gulf War myth.  I've always hated that shit, don't call me a hero as I wasn't one.  Heroes are exemplary and stand above the rest; if we follow the modern logic there were 150+ million heroes across the globe in WW-II.

I strongly protest this modern hero idea and assert that actual heroes intentionally risk life and limb in extraordinary circumstances for the mission at hand and for their brothers in arms - acting above and beyond what their peers are currently doing.  By way of negative example we had one dude get a Bronze Star for successfully managing an Ammo Depot 250 miles behind the lines; does that really make him a hero?

I can easily drop you a list of true heroes and I can guaran-fucking-tee you that when you read of their exploits you will agree that they deserve the title.  I do not deserve that title and so far as I understand you do not either.

More on topic, from the article I understand that this practice started in 1999, this isn't tradition and does seem to be a waste.  And the hero lie needs to be put to rest as well.  I'm happy to have loyally served and to have that recognized but I also reject any attempts to award me such a prestigious title that I did not win through exemplary action on my part.  I don't even wear unit awards if I wasn't part of the action it was awarded for; it's simply a matter of pride I suppose.

Last edited by Emmeran (2013-04-04 15:45:05)

#10 2013-04-04 15:41:08

Htom Sirveaux wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

Get with the times. Fun fact: not all veterans have dicks.

Don't be a dick - I've fucked more than my share of WM's and respected everyone.  It's just a colloquialism; what they call themselves is even worse.

Last edited by Emmeran (2013-04-04 15:43:16)

#11 2013-04-04 16:12:24

Emmeran wrote:

Aahhh bullshit Phreddy - serving doesn't make you a hero, that's the part of the First Gulf War myth.  I've always hated that shit, don't call me a hero as I wasn't one.

I could not agree more.  Serving and doing your job does not make you a hero.  My statement had to do with family members remembering their vets as heroes.  In other words, never speak badly of the dead.

I bristle at the devaluation of the word hero.  Every cop, firefighter, and school teacher is now a "hero".  Bullshit.

Last edited by phreddy (2013-04-04 16:13:08)

#12 2013-04-04 16:17:02

Then again, when Melons calls me her hero it's an entirely different story. 

(Which I'm sure you don't want to hear about.)

#13 2013-04-04 16:28:07

Emmeran wrote:

whosasailorthen wrote:

Just to clarify, dad was hardly a supply clerk.  Among the many interesting missions was sent on, he was one of the engineers dispatched to clear the booby traps out of Hitler's nest in the mountains.  I still have the Luger he found there, from a cache of weapons that was found in the process, and a photo of him sitting in Hitler's bathtub once the place has been cleared of explosives and traps.  Discovering and disarming booby traps is not for the faint of heart.

#14 2013-04-04 17:58:25

whosasailorthen wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

whosasailorthen wrote:

Just to clarify, dad was hardly a supply clerk.  Among the many interesting missions was sent on, he was one of the engineers dispatched to clear the booby traps out of Hitler's nest in the mountains.  I still have the Luger he found there, from a cache of weapons that was found in the process, and a photo of him sitting in Hitler's bathtub once the place has been cleared of explosives and traps.  Discovering and disarming booby traps is not for the faint of heart.

I actually didn't address as I assumed if they sent a Full Bird then he had obviously earned it, I myself have not and do not expect the good citizens of the U.S. of A. to provide me with anything more than a fresh pine coffin and a nice hole in the ground*.  I did my job, wanted to go home and ran from Scud's - not a lot of heroism there.

(*I actually want to be buried on my own land and have a nice tree planted above me, but that's a different conversation.)

Board footer

cruelery.com