#1 2016-06-22 10:47:29

Turns out, Lucifer does not equal Satan

The word "Lucifer" in Isaiah 14:12 presents a minor problem to mainstream Christianity. It becomes a much larger problem to Bible literalists, and becomes a huge obstacle for the claims of Mormonism. John J. Robinson in A Pilgrim's Path, pp. 47-48 explains:

"Lucifer makes his appearance in the fourteenth chapter of the Old Testament book of Isaiah, at the twelfth verse, and nowhere else: ‘How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! How art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!’"

The first problem is that Lucifer is a Latin name. So how did it find its way into a Hebrew manuscript, written before there was a Roman language? To find the answer, I consulted a scholar at the library of the Hebrew Union College in Cincinnati. What Hebrew name, I asked, was Satan given in this chapter of Isaiah, which describes the angel who fell to become the ruler of hell?

The answer was a surprise. In the original Hebrew text, the fourteenth chapter of Isaiah is not about a fallen angel, but about a fallen Babylonian king, who during his lifetime had persecuted the children of Israel. It contains no mention of Satan, either by name or reference. The Hebrew scholar could only speculate that some early Christian scribes, writing in the Latin tongue used by the Church, had decided for themselves that they wanted the story to be about a fallen angel, a creature not even mentioned in the original Hebrew text, and to whom they gave the name "Lucifer."

#3 2016-06-22 21:59:22

What?!? An institutionalized imperial religion faked a story and treated it as Gospel? Color me surprised.

#4 2016-06-23 04:09:23

Paternal grand relations ran bootleg liquor with the Falwells.  Like most organized crime, 2nd gen. went "legit". 

Had all this nonsense figured out in my "formative" years.   

That being said, back in the mind-expanding college freshman years (slumming in Prillamin Switch), I ONCE took advantage of an "invite" placed in my screen door...which just happened to be from the holy-rollin'-serpent-handlin' place of worship down the road. 

Attending church services of this type, accompanied by one Mr. Natural, goes w/out saying.  I was on my knees believin' anything they was sayin' and surrendering to a higher power that day.

Apologies Fnord...purely coincidental double entendre.

#5 2016-06-23 12:09:13

JetRx wrote:

Apologies Fnord...purely coincidental double entendre.

Heh heh. You said serpent handling, heh heh.

#6 2016-06-23 14:14:11

JetRx wrote:

Attending church services of this type, accompanied by one Mr. Natural, goes w/out saying.  I was on my knees believin' anything they was sayin' and surrendering to a higher power that day.

Board footer

cruelery.com