#101 2014-01-28 10:22:25

Sad news Fnord.  All the Elizabeth Kubler-Ross, so "distant" nearly four decades ago,  now has relevance in my life as well.  Over the years, you've handled this most inevitable sorrow with an exemplary, dignified,  aplomb.

#102 2014-01-28 11:23:55

I send a hug.

#103 2016-06-26 23:59:57

PostScript 2 1/2  years later:     Today I got a note from Partner™'s youngest son asking for items he had given us over the years, plus some things a former girlfriend gave us when she was courting his family. In addition, he wanted a silver teapot that we purchased in the English village where his former in-laws live, because it matches one he purchased there. I'm using most of these things, but I can always buy replacements.  One of the items is hanging on my living room wall, so something will need to go on the nail it's hanging on.  This is disturbing, because it tells me he didn't consider our relationship valid, even after several decades together, and as far as he was concerned these things belonged only to his father. I even saved this asshole's life on several occasions! He now lives several doors down from me, but rather than breaking the things on his porch or shoving them up his ass without lube I will let him have them and avoid contact with him. Partner™'s other children have been awesome and have been there for me.

#104 2016-06-27 09:32:00

Hey, there's always a puppy that should have been drowned in every litter.  You're a much kinder individual than I am.

#105 2016-06-27 21:01:54

These things tend to happen when there is a death in the family.  I've been through it several times.  People get all worked up about this or that item--often just a piece of tchotchke, sometimes actually fairly valuable, but never worth the acrimony.  Fnord is doing the right thing by just letting this shit pass; responding in kind to this shitheel son, especially since he lives so close by, would only lead to hell on earth...if my experience is anything to go by.
When I worked for lawyers, back in the past century, the second-worst situations were disputes with neighbors and without fail the ABSOLUTE worst situations were fallings-out in a family.

#106 2016-06-28 01:17:46

George Orr wrote:

These things tend to happen when there is a death in the family.  I've been through it several times.  People get all worked up about this or that item--often just a piece of tchotchke, sometimes actually fairly valuable, but never worth the acrimony.  Fnord is doing the right thing by just letting this shit pass; responding in kind to this shitheel son, especially since he lives so close by, would only lead to hell on earth...if my experience is anything to go by.
When I worked for lawyers, back in the past century, the second-worst situations were disputes with neighbors and without fail the ABSOLUTE worst situations were fallings-out in a family.

True, but he should screw him on the teapot.

#107 2016-06-29 17:44:16

You could always engrave "Fnord + Parner 4ever" in big gothic script on the tea pot, then return it.

#108 2016-06-29 18:15:21

^^^^^

#109 2016-06-30 21:56:11

Sad news and condolences to you, Fnord.

#110 2016-06-30 22:28:22

fnord wrote:

Today I got a note from Partner™'s youngest son asking for items he had given us over the years, plus some things

There are so few who ever distinguish themselves as more than parasites, privileged or not, you can't not notice the rare saints in your orbit... until mortality starts picking them off.

Board footer

cruelery.com