#2 2017-03-25 17:51:10

I was AFK all last week, visiting family in the ruralities.

I checked my iPod and am amazed and the number of Berry numbers I have on there--and the collection's far from complete.

Sigh.

I never saw him, but my mother saw him live during one of his last tours.  The man did not travel with a band; he hired local musicians, rehearsed a bit, and hit the stage.  He didn't need his own band--what musician in the world doesn't know his work?

There's a documentary from 1987 in which he tours with Keith Richards among others.  He was a harsh taskmaster when it came to his music.

#3 2017-03-26 11:43:37

Saw him on a flight to London about 20 years ago.  He got on with his guitar in hand - no case - and put it in the overhead in first class.  No entourage, no handlers - just him.  He was seated just across the isle from me, but one row forward.  I didn't say anything to him - I figured he'd sooner just enjoy the flight.  I did note that he was especially flirty with the stewardess, but not in a creepy way - just kinda in a fun and amusing way.

#4 2017-03-26 12:03:43

whosasailorthen wrote:

I did note that he was especially flirty with the stewardess, but not in a creepy way - just kinda in a fun and amusing way.

Ahhh... prehistory.

Sorry, not a thread hijack, I'll shut up now.

#5 2017-03-26 16:00:22

"Chuck got off the plane with a guitar case, a bodyguard and a briefcase. The understanding of the way things would go was simple: The money goes in the briefcase and the show goes on. If the cash is not put in the briefcase, there will be no show...Chuck Berry left Anchorage Monday morning at 7:30 a.m. He did not pay his hotel bill!"

Complete story here:

https://www.adn.com/alaska-life/2017/03 … anchorage/

#6 2017-03-26 18:13:32

choad wrote:

whosasailorthen wrote:

I did note that he was especially flirty with the stewardess, but not in a creepy way - just kinda in a fun and amusing way.

Ahhh... prehistory.

Sorry, not a thread hijack, I'll shut up now.

As you know, I used to teach coding on that stuff.  And believe it or not, that same OS is still in use today... quite a lot, actually, and very likely in your town.  I'd place a hefty bet that you've interacted with it in the past year, along with about 10M other folks.

#7 2017-03-26 18:15:34

JetRx wrote:

"Chuck got off the plane with a guitar case, a bodyguard and a briefcase. The understanding of the way things would go was simple: The money goes in the briefcase and the show goes on. If the cash is not put in the briefcase, there will be no show...Chuck Berry left Anchorage Monday morning at 7:30 a.m. He did not pay his hotel bill!"

Complete story here:

https://www.adn.com/alaska-life/2017/03 … anchorage/

Well, by ~1997 he'd lost his body guard, and I'm guessing his guitar case as well.

#8 2017-03-27 10:10:13

In the mid-80's I got to meet Chuck and Chubby Checkers at the same time, in my math class actually. Turned out that my math teacher and he were old school chums and when Chuck and Chubby came through VA Beach for some shindig they spent the morning shooting the shit with my math teacher during our class. I don't recall much of them except that Chuck was funny and Chubby was strange, like "Religious-Clown kinda strange". I had a Polaroid of it for a while, but lost it during a move.

#9 2017-03-27 15:30:59

Yes Chubby was strange. Never got to know him though he was my neighbor for a time as a young adult.  And we were kind of strange too in our own way in those days. We had this incredible fence around our spread and kept the privacy between us.

Board footer

cruelery.com