#1 2008-05-14 21:39:27

(Here is a link to the original publication in the journal "Body Image.")

Setting aside the research design problems in this study, which compared how individuals in a couple rate their own looks and those of their partner but did not include assessments of each person's attractiveness by a larger, anonymous study group, this could be a sweet note on the dynamics of human pair bonding, or at least a nod recognizing that human perceptions and preferences are not as simple as advertisers and wack-mags would like -- rather, our perceptions of beauty are at least partially grounded in experiencing, rather than just looking at, others.

But apparently it's not.  We're all just fugly narcissists.

..Professor Richard Wiseman, a psychologist at Hertfordshire University, said: 'Most people are optimists - they have a notion that the world is much rosier than it is.

"They like to think they have an attractive partner because it makes them feel better."

#2 2008-05-14 21:44:42

Your true love will think you are the most gorgeous thing they have ever set their eyes on.

...I thought i was the most attractive man alive... that hasn't been on tv...

#3 2008-05-14 21:49:57

The corollary is-have you ever dated someone r super good looking, like, a model or something, and then gotten to know them, and begin to find them really unattractive? Remind me to tell the Maximo story here someday.

#4 2008-05-14 21:56:21

icangetyouatoe wrote:

The corollary is-have you ever dated someone r super good looking, like, a model or something, and then gotten to know them, and begin to find them really unattractive? Remind me to tell the Maximo story here someday.

Oh yes.  After a few experiences like that, I have to force myself to give conventionally attractive men "a chance."  Of course, it ends up just being a chance to hate ourselves and each other more, so maybe I should just stick to dwarves with 3rd degree burns.  Can anyone here hook me up?

#5 2008-05-14 22:29:25

"Positive illusions" or cognitive dissonance? I'd like to see the study redone to include homos/lezzies. I'll bet that would really screw up their findings.

#6 2008-05-14 22:35:18

Yeah Pale, we all know you're a butt burglar, or at least portend to be...

Why is it that couples that have been together for long periods tend to morph into each other?  Same with their animals... (Little Willies cue to post his lame-ass photo shop pug pic of me)  By the way WCL, I happen to be a fan of Pugs.

#7 2008-05-14 22:46:57

I'm convinced that it's nature's way that our near-vision begins to really suck just about the time that our spouse starts to shrivel.

#8 2008-05-14 23:10:57

Welcome to the "age" phenomenom.

If you don't get it now you will eventually.

#9 2008-05-14 23:11:46

Emmeran wrote:

Welcome to the "age" phenomenom.

If you don't get it now you will eventually.

And that's if you're lucky.

#10 2008-05-15 00:37:14

I had an interesting experience this past weekend. I was visiting friends in Palm Springs (First time there: go for the swimming pools, forget the food and most chances of encountering anything resembling culture or intellect) and was introduced to a guy with whom I was immediately taken. Very handsome - OK, hot - and smart as fucking hell (Although he's American, he's a lawyer working with the European Union on environmental issues).

I was struck dumb. I stumbled over my words or simply fell silent feeling ordinary and dull by comparison. He was quite nice to me, though, chatting me up, asking about my work and my writing. But I couldn't get past the immediate attraction and was left feeling like an awkward teenager all over again.

No matter how another person may rate on the broad culturally accepted standards of beauty, it really is the one-on-one experience that matters most, I think. I know he wouldn't have been attractive to others among my friends, but damn...

#11 2008-05-15 09:10:18

Taint wrote:

I had an interesting experience this past weekend. I was visiting friends in Palm Springs (First time there: go for the swimming pools, forget the food and most chances of encountering anything resembling culture or intellect) and was introduced to a guy with whom I was immediately taken. Very handsome - OK, hot - and smart as fucking hell (Although he's American, he's a lawyer working with the European Union on environmental issues).

I was struck dumb. I stumbled over my words or simply fell silent feeling ordinary and dull by comparison. He was quite nice to me, though, chatting me up, asking about my work and my writing. But I couldn't get past the immediate attraction and was left feeling like an awkward teenager all over again.

No matter how another person may rate on the broad culturally accepted standards of beauty, it really is the one-on-one experience that matters most, I think. I know he wouldn't have been attractive to others among my friends, but damn...

Oh isn't life just so fucking wonderful and syrupy?

Who do you write for?  Walt fucking Disney? Jeezus - here comes "Everybody-is-wonderful-because-they-are-differnt-Bear"

#12 2008-05-15 11:48:05

Auntie Em Sez:  "Oh isn't life just so fucking wonderful and syrupy?"

Quit pissing on Taints fire Em, life is a bowel of cherries....

#13 2008-05-15 13:05:16

Emmie, you've been irritable lately. Has the Mrs. been screwing the paperboy?

#14 2008-05-15 15:14:47

Taint wrote:

Actually there's a humorous story behind my grumpiness but I can't be bothered to type it up; but the bottom lin is that sappiness just isn't in my nature.

And that little highlight of your life there was tipping the sappy scale pretty damn far.

#15 2008-05-15 15:23:33

How about just offering the punch line to your story, then we can imagine the rest.

#16 2008-05-15 15:32:26

Taint wrote:

How about just offering the punch line to your story, then we can imagine the rest.

...and that's how it came to pass that my precious privacy was invaded and I'm pretty much living in my own garage.

#17 2008-05-15 15:36:02

Emmeran wrote:

Taint wrote:

...and that's how it came to pass that my precious privacy was invaded and I'm pretty much living in my own garage.

Is your garage nicer than the rest of your house, or can you make the rest of your house less nice than your garage?

#18 2008-05-15 15:43:53

Emmeran wrote:

Taint wrote:

Actually there's a humorous story behind my grumpiness but I can't be bothered to type it up; but the bottom lin is that sappiness just isn't in my nature.

And that little highlight of your life there was tipping the sappy scale pretty damn far.

You're a mean and nasty man, Emmeran. All you do is carp and criticize. The world's already going down the shitter - it certainly doesn't need your type of negativity. Taint, please tell us more about your puppy-crush. Were there any spontaneous intra-trouserine jizz squirts? Was the rectal mucous flowing like brown lava from your butthole? Now that gay marriage is on again in Cali, you can tell us anything. I believe we're legally obliged to listen.

#19 2008-05-15 16:06:03

tits_matilda wrote:

Is your garage nicer than the rest of your house, or can you make the rest of your house less nice than your garage?

It's a garage in the end, but more importantly the beer fridge is in the garage and so I'm closer to my true love on a regular basis.

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

You're a mean and nasty man, Emmeran.

Thanks

Last edited by Emmeran (2008-05-15 16:07:18)

#20 2008-05-15 16:18:31

icangetyouatoe wrote:

I was just talking about this with a college friend...there was a guy we went to school with who was really hot, and still looks good 20 years later, but damn, was he boring as hell, and still boring now (married to the same women from college who always looks miserable).  I never could understand how anyone could actually date him because he never had anything to say.  Same thing with a doctor I knew...he was actually attractive (for a doctor) and he had lots of women chasing after him, but again, boring as a post...unless you wanted to hear him talk about himself incessantly (I didn't).

#21 2008-05-15 16:20:12

I love this place.

#22 2008-05-15 17:25:15

Emmeran wrote:

Oh isn't life just so fucking wonderful and syrupy?

Syrupy wonderful life -- Suck it!

#23 2008-05-15 18:02:52

icangetyouatoe wrote:

The corollary is-have you ever dated someone r super good looking, like, a model or something, and then gotten to know them, and begin to find them really unattractive?

Miss Indiana and I were IU's front page homecoming poster couple. Majestic titties but sadly, otherwise dead from the neck down and from the mouth up. I hitch hiked thousands of miles for those titties. My brother, who nailed her first, neglected to mention she was psycho.

#24 2008-05-15 22:53:27

choad wrote:

I hitch hiked thousands of miles for those titties.

It's show and tell time...where is the picture???

#25 2008-05-15 23:19:43

headkicker_girl wrote:

I was just talking about this with a college friend...there was a guy we went to school with who was really hot, and still looks good 20 years later, but damn, was he boring as hell... I never could understand how anyone could actually date him...

If any newbie ever doubts you are a female, show him this quote.  Men are happy to have sex with stupid people who are pretty.  This is a male thing regardless of orientation.

#26 2008-05-16 00:21:46

fnord wrote:

If any newbie ever doubts you are a female, show him this quote.  Men are happy to have sex with stupid people who are pretty.  This is a male thing regardless of orientation.

'Tis sad, but true. I've found myself suddenly having to ease out of delicate social situations solely because I was stupid and horny enough to fuck whatever was standing next to me, only to find out they felt "a real connection".

So did I, but it sure as hell wasn't emotional.

#27 2008-05-16 00:22:56

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

Taint, please tell us more about your puppy-crush. Were there any spontaneous intra-trouserine jizz squirts? Was the rectal mucous flowing like brown lava from your butthole? Now that gay marriage is on again in Cali, you can tell us anything. I believe we're legally obliged to listen.

I'll bet that sweet-talking gets you into girls' panties left and right.

#28 2008-05-16 00:43:42

Taint wrote:

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

Taint, please tell us more about your puppy-crush. Were there any spontaneous intra-trouserine jizz squirts? Was the rectal mucous flowing like brown lava from your butthole? Now that gay marriage is on again in Cali, you can tell us anything. I believe we're legally obliged to listen.

Their usually not conscious, so he doesn't have to do much to seduce them.

#29 2008-05-16 01:56:36

headkicker_girl wrote:

Taint wrote:

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

Their usually not conscious, so he doesn't have to do much to seduce them.

I resemble those remarks. And yes, to be honest, Taint, there's a power of (ahm tryin' tuh tok uhmurikan...howm i doon?) young women who go for the extra-gross mean-old-nasty psycho-smartass daddy schtick. Sure, I've had to drug some. Who hasn't? But mostly I get the big ole soft-eyes from under-the-batting lashes look and I know I'm due for a dinner of sweet, sweet cooze. And of course, Fnord is right about guys and brains and pretty girls. But I do have a lower threshold. For instance, no matter how hot Lurker says his mom is (in the following video from his extra-gay wedding), I simply would NOT do her:

(I believe that's Turkey's dad in the background reading into the microphone.)

Board footer

cruelery.com