#1 2008-10-04 01:02:28

Why else would we need Attack Helicopters as part of our natural disaster relief program???

"We need a lot more in our toolbox in order to deal with angry people on the street," said Col. Barry Johnson of U.S. Army North.

Here ya go Phr-tah, the answer to the Democratic voting surge.

Last edited by Emmeran (2008-10-04 01:08:40)

#2 2008-10-04 08:29:39

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/2418/ad64dapacheattackhelicouk5.jpg

There you go; more justification for Blackwater [et al] program[s].
Not enough troops to cover the mission.

The balance between current [past, future] agenda success and no initiation of a draft at any cost.

Last edited by MSG Tripps (2008-10-04 08:57:49)

#3 2008-10-04 21:58:30

I kin haz Chinook nao?

#4 2008-10-05 01:26:28

I find a full pod of hellfire missiles does wonders for keeping the bread lines in order.

#5 2008-10-05 03:35:34

MSG Tripps wrote:

The balance between current [past, future] agenda success and no initiation of a draft at any cost.

Never a draft, because the brass couldn't assume its blind loyalty?

I'm curious, Dhal. Think your average NG unit would comply with orders to fire on unarmed US civilians?

https://cruelery.com/sidepic/kentstate1970.jpg

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#6 2008-10-05 07:34:48

choad wrote:

I think currently the majority of the American public would not tolerate conscription for anything less than a WWII type scenario.

Think your average NG unit would comply with orders to fire on unarmed US civilians?

It is the variables that set up a reaction like that.  Then and now, some would, others would not.

Recall how many times there was confrontations between National Guard Units [once upon a time called "Nixon's Girls" by active duty soldiers] and the public.  While any civilian death is unacceptable, it was so rare as to have been statically an extremely deviant action.  [This is in reference to student types only.]

That is not to say it did not happen before or after Kent State; however, I can not remember another situation.
[Don't bogart....  Pass it over to me.]

#7 2008-10-05 08:23:58

MSG Tripps wrote:

That is not to say it did not happen before or after Kent State; however, I can not remember another situation.

1992 LA Riots

GooberMcNutly wrote:

I find a full pod of hellfire missiles does wonders for keeping the bread lines in order.

The AGM 114 Hellfire is a rail-launched weapon, rockets come in pods (Zuni)

#8 2008-10-05 08:49:57

Emmeran wrote:

1992 LA Riots

Student types?

#9 2008-10-05 09:06:38

Emmeran wrote:

The Hellfires are on the inside under the stubbies in the first image.

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/6600/agm114hellfire00ef4.jpg

Last edited by MSG Tripps (2008-10-05 09:14:09)

#10 2008-10-05 09:37:56

MSG Tripps wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

The Hellfires are on the inside under the stubbies in the first image.

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/6600 … e00ef4.jpg

Correct - the inboard station (#3) is loaded with a 19 shot pod for 2.75" rockets.  The Hellfires pictured there are display models only (note the lack of explosives marker bands)

http://images.pennnet.com/articles/mae/thm/th_0707maesupp_feat03.jpg

This image shows a Hellfire-II with yellow bands denoting high explosive, and a brown band at the rear denoting a solid fuel propellant.  The AGM-114 is primarily designed for use against armored vehicles and bunkers, it contains a 20lb shaped charge warhead, some varients include a fragmentation sleave on the warhead section all varients include a pre-cursor charge to defeat reactive armor.  All known production mods use passive guidance meaning the target must be lit by a designator of some sort; the example above is laser guided.  I would expect the laser guided/fragmentation varient to be deployed with the "Army of the North".

This information may become very important to you come the first Tuesday in November

#11 2008-10-05 09:40:03

MSG Tripps wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

1992 LA Riots

Student types?

Rodney King riots, several unarmed "gang bangers" were engaged with squad weapons.

The results were predictable.

#12 2008-10-05 09:49:58

Rotor Head?

#13 2008-10-05 17:37:30

MSG Tripps wrote:

Rotor Head?

Ordie

#14 2008-10-05 18:53:27

Robot Armies

#15 2008-10-05 22:29:50

choad wrote:

MSG Tripps wrote:

I'm curious, Dhal. Think your average NG unit would comply with orders to fire on unarmed US civilians?

https://cruelery.com/sidepic/kentstate1970.jpg

Being originally from Ohio, I loathe what happened at Kent State, but I still blame Governor James Ford Rhodes for calling the NG out, and the Generals that ordered the live ammo, more than I blame the scared kids facing the protesters.

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#16 2008-10-05 23:00:02

Baywolfe wrote:

Being originally from Ohio, I loathe what happened at Kent State, but I still blame Governor James Ford Rhodes for calling the NG out, and the Generals that ordered the live ammo, more than I blame the scared kids facing the protesters.

It's always the commanders fault; that responsibility comes with the authority.

#17 2008-10-05 23:15:17

Emmeran wrote:

Baywolfe wrote:

Sorry, but everyone with an M1 Garand at that little picnic had a choice at that moment.  All along with their officers should of been tried for murder.

#18 2008-10-06 10:51:31

Dmtdust wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

Baywolfe wrote:

Sorry, but everyone with an M1 Garand at that little picnic had a choice at that moment.  All along with their officers should of been tried for murder.

Manslaughter maybe but I still have a problem with that; having a choice is a questionable assumption based on academic theory instead if pragmatic reality.  Murder is for the commander who wrote the battle order, something must also be saved for the elected official who thought it was OK to send combat troops in to do a police job.

This is a question of using a sledgehammer as a fly-swatter and being surprised with the results; don't blame the hammer for being a hammer.

#19 2008-10-06 12:02:22

Psychological studies are not value statements, Emmeran. Soldiers are trained to follow orders, but breaking the law is still breaking the law. If the soldiers had been ordered to steal cars and sell them to a chop shop, there would be no confusion - the whole damned lot of them would have gone to jail. Murder, however, is what soldiers are supposed to do, so how can it be a crime? But it is. You can get Aristotelian about the causality, or juridical about apportioning the blame, but those kids were shot in cold blood and the boys who pulled the triggers were by definition murderers. The generals and the politicians may have ordered the hit, but the hitmen took the contract. Were they insane? No more than any hitmen. Were they coerced? No more than the members of any gang. From the day they signed up, their actions were predicated on individual choice, and they should each have stood trial for their individual blame.

#20 2008-10-06 12:06:25

Familiar with the UCMJ?

#21 2008-10-06 12:23:13

I believe it's like our Code of Service Discipline.
Probably contains something to the effect of:
...must obey all lawful orders...
Which wouldn't, to my mind, apply here.

#22 2008-10-06 12:29:34

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

Which wouldn't, to my mind, apply here.

You have no clue, WilberCuntLicker [as you should not, being a foreign national civilian type].

#23 2008-10-06 12:33:19

So...I agree with you...and you tell me I'm wrong. Could you be a little more specific?

#24 2008-10-06 12:43:31

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

Could you be a little more specific?

Naw.  I don't feel like rising to the bait, eh old boy?

#25 2008-10-06 12:46:01

MSG Tripps wrote:

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

Could you be a little more specific?

Naw.  I don't feel like rising to the bait, eh old boy?

Bait? Bait?
Shit - now we're both confused.

#26 2008-10-06 17:08:09

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

Soldiers are trained to follow orders, but breaking the law is still breaking the law.

The law is a subjective matter to a combat force or an angry mob.

In cases such as this no-one knows if the first shot was accidental and the remainder reflexive.  What we do know is that an infantry company was issued squad weapons and live ammo and then sent to confront an angry mob; the result was entirely predictible.

If the result is predictible then are the actions of those pawns on either side at all attributible?  Leaders are paid to understand and mitigate these risks, failure to do so is a crime.

That would be warfare theory for you.

#27 2008-10-06 19:16:16

Emmeran wrote:

Weren't you talking about Kent State? I don't remember there being a war on at the time...at least, not a civil war.
Military law is, in Canada at least, a subset of our system of jurisprudence, and soldiers, though subject to military law, are still citizens subject and responsible to civil law. Thus does a civilized nation attempt to ensure that its military does not become an autonomous sphere of flexible morality wherein concepts such as murder and torture are mitigated or justified by the uniform. Following orders is not an excuse for murder - it's still your finger on the trigger.

#28 2008-10-06 19:18:10

unarmed civilians... retreating.

#29 2008-10-06 21:31:47

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

Weren't you talking about Kent State?

Kent State, Army of the North, its all the same.

The point is if you train someone to react a certain way in a certain situation you should not the persecute them for following your will.  Prosecution of the individual troops for conditioned reactions during the fog of war was introduced by the extreme left as an anti-war measure.  The reality is it is an anti-troop measure.

A jury of their peers would condemn but not convict, for their peers would understand the fog of war and the ever present reality of trained reactions.  The fault lies with those who would commit assault troops vs civilians, much as the owner of a starving pit bull is at fault for leaving the animal alone all day with a baby.

We are proven creatures of conditioning, we condition these young men to be the most effective warriors possible and then second guess those trained reactions when the balloon goes up.

You will never be able to convince me that conditioned actions commited in the heat of confrontation can be considered murder, man-slaughter maybe, but not murder.   The people and the politico's need to understand that you don't play with loaded weapons.

#30 2008-10-06 21:54:39

Baywolfe wrote:

I still blame Governor James Ford Rhodes for calling the NG out, and the Generals that ordered the live ammo, more than I blame the scared kids facing the protesters.

"Scared" or brainwashed?

During a press conference, Governor Rhodes called the protesters un-American and referred to the protesters as revolutionaries set on destroying higher education in Ohio. "They're worse than the brown shirts and the communist element and also the nightriders and the vigilantes," Rhodes said. "They're the worst type of people that we harbor in America. I think that we're up against the strongest, well-trained, militant, revolutionary group that has ever assembled in America."

#31 2008-10-06 21:56:38

sigmoid freud wrote:

Baywolfe wrote:

I still blame Governor James Ford Rhodes for calling the NG out, and the Generals that ordered the live ammo, more than I blame the scared kids facing the protesters.

"Scared" or brainwashed?

During a press conference, Governor Rhodes called the protesters un-American and referred to the protesters as revolutionaries set on destroying higher education in Ohio. "They're worse than the brown shirts and the communist element and also the nightriders and the vigilantes," Rhodes said. "They're the worst type of people that we harbor in America. I think that we're up against the strongest, well-trained, militant, revolutionary group that has ever assembled in America."

Thank you sir - my point exactly.

(however "Brainwashed" is a harsh word for someone who serves at your {the public's} whim)

#32 2008-10-06 22:00:22

Emmeran wrote:

I would expect the laser guided/fragmentation varient to be deployed with the "Army of the North".

Hellfires are hella expensive. What's wrong with good old fashioned napalm?

http://www.gallerym.com/images/work/big/pulitzer_nick_ut_vietnam_napalm_kim_phuc_6872_L.jpg

#33 2008-10-06 23:04:50

sigmoid freud wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

I would expect the laser guided/fragmentation varient to be deployed with the "Army of the North".

http://www.gallerym.com/images/work/big … 6872_L.jpg

Really the only problem is that some knucklehead sold the public on the idea of selective warfare with zero collateral damage - sounds almost like a Star Trek episode.

#34 2008-10-06 23:16:03

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

Psychological studies are not value statements, Emmeran. Soldiers are trained to follow orders, but breaking the law is still breaking the law. If the soldiers had been ordered to steal cars and sell them to a chop shop, there would be no confusion - the whole damned lot of them would have gone to jail. Murder, however, is what soldiers are supposed to do, so how can it be a crime? But it is. You can get Aristotelian about the causality, or juridical about apportioning the blame, but those kids were shot in cold blood and the boys who pulled the triggers were by definition murderers. The generals and the politicians may have ordered the hit, but the hitmen took the contract. Were they insane? No more than any hitmen. Were they coerced? No more than the members of any gang. From the day they signed up, their actions were predicated on individual choice, and they should each have stood trial for their individual blame.

Four dead in Ohio

Fucking Canucks and their protesting

#35 2008-10-07 20:59:48

sigmoid freud wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

For one Napalm sucks to work with and is dangerous as hell shipboard or on the flightline, I'll vote for your good old Mk-80 series General Purpose Bomb.  Cheap, easy to store, easy to deliver and highly effective in a variety of configurations.

But cluster bombs are sexy too . . .

http://www.textrondefense.com/imgs/products/claw/38430-A.jpg

Now, "New and Improved with Clean Battlefield Technology"

#36 2008-10-08 09:37:39

I was always partial to the personal approach. Jack Booted Thugs (tm) deliver the message in the way that "nuke them from space" just can't.

Last edited by GooberMcNutly (2008-10-10 09:48:07)

#37 2008-10-17 10:56:39

This has gotten really sick.

[U.S. Army Lt. Col. Darrel Vandeveld] is at least the fourth prosecutor to resign from the [Guantánamo] tribunals. Others have accused superiors of political meddling or deliberately misleading senior civilian Pentagon officials about the quality of evidence against defendants.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27200615/

#38 2008-10-17 11:12:57

choad wrote:

This has gotten really sick.

[U.S. Army Lt. Col. Darrel Vandeveld] is at least the fourth prosecutor to resign from the [Guantánamo] tribunals. Others have accused superiors of political meddling or deliberately misleading senior civilian Pentagon officials about the quality of evidence against defendants.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27200615/

I'm very pleased with the number of military lawyers that have resigned or refused this assignment - it seems all isn't lost after all.

Board footer

cruelery.com