#1 2009-02-25 13:30:55

So I was bored the other day, and was flipping through one of my nuclear engineering textbooks (yeah, I'm real fun at parties) when I stumbled across this baby.  The point being tobacco gives people a radiation dose an order of magnitude higher than anything else on the list.  WTF?

So I did a quick google search and found this and this and this.

10,000 fucking anti-smoking commercials and I have to read this in a fucking textbook?  I can't help but feel the victim of a massive missinformation campaign, but I suppose I should be used to it by now.

#2 2009-02-25 13:34:16

Way to freak out half the board.

You're cool.

Welcome.

#3 2009-02-25 13:47:38

Eh, tobacco.  I recently made an active attempt to get addicted to it, just to see what it was like, and was totally unable. 

I did finally smoke enough that I no longer felt any negative effects from the cigarettes.  That took almost two weeks.  Then I gave smoking another month, just to give it a fair chance.  Then I stopped, cold turkey, about two weeks ago.  Not so much as one goddamned craving. 

Smokers are pussies.

Last edited by jesusluvspegging (2009-02-25 13:48:40)

#4 2009-02-25 14:24:43

Polonium-210 was reported in cigarettes back in the 60’s.  This is a more balanced review.

#5 2009-02-25 17:29:54

kim

What about radiation in weed? Is there any, because thats all I am concerned about?

#6 2009-02-25 17:40:44

I'm sure there's some radiation in weed, but, since THC causes cancer cells to go into apoptosis (cell death), and there's no observed linkage between weed usage and lung cancer, you probably shouldn't worry

Last edited by jesusluvspegging (2009-02-25 17:40:57)

#7 2009-02-25 17:42:31

And if you are worried, just go burn one and relax a little.

Radiation-schmadiation.

#8 2009-02-25 18:57:53

kim wrote:

What about radiation in weed? Is there any, because thats all I am concerned about?

In addition to what Jesus said, grow your own without using fertilizers that contain phosphate rock in order to reduce the amount of radioactive isotopes in your weed.

#9 2009-02-25 19:06:42

jesusluvspegging wrote:

Eh, tobacco.  I recently made an active attempt to get addicted to it, just to see what it was like, and was totally unable. 

I did finally smoke enough that I no longer felt any negative effects from the cigarettes.  That took almost two weeks.  Then I gave smoking another month, just to give it a fair chance.  Then I stopped, cold turkey, about two weeks ago.  Not so much as one goddamned craving. 

Smokers are pussies.

I dunno - maybe some of us just lack or have insufficient amplitude in whatever system is involved in nicotine addiction.  Since I love the effects of nicotine gum & the patch, I've tried to become a smoker several times, but it just never takes.  On the other hand, I've seen people go through the cold-turkey trots after a day off smokes...

#10 2009-02-25 19:22:09

exdwarf wrote:

jesusluvspegging wrote:

Smokers are pussies.

I dunno - maybe some of us just lack or have insufficient amplitude in whatever system is involved in nicotine addiction.  Since I love the effects of nicotine gum & the patch, I've tried to become a smoker several times, but it just never takes.  On the other hand, I've seen people go through the cold-turkey trots after a day off smokes...

I consider myself fortunate that I found coke to be overrated and only used it a few times.  On the other hand, I snorted heroin a few times (I hate needles) and could easily have become hooked if I hadn’t had the sense to appreciate the experience and stop while I was ahead.

#11 2009-02-25 21:08:52

Cool, so we could plant tobacco to clean up nuclear fall out, then sell the cigs to the Chinese? Payback time for all of the lead, baby!

#12 2009-02-25 23:09:37

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Cool, so we could plant tobacco to clean up nuclear fall out, then sell the cigs to the Chinese? Payback time for all of the lead, baby!

My opinion of you just went way up!

Board footer

cruelery.com