#1 2009-03-12 15:46:39

Iraqi shoe-thrower gets three years.

I just have to wonder.  What would happen to an American journalist who threw his shoes at a visiting foreign head of state.  He'd likely get charged with assault but what kind of time would he likely have to do?

Last edited by Zookeeper (2009-03-12 15:47:46)

#2 2009-03-12 15:47:09

Kinda light for assaulting a head of state.

#3 2009-03-12 15:50:09

jesusluvspegging wrote:

I don't know.  Throwing one's shoe is clearly not an attempt to do serious bodily harm.  In Iraq it's a grave insult but not really an attempt to harm.  I'd think it would be somewhere between a verbal assault and an assault with the intent to do harm.

#4 2009-03-12 15:52:15

Zookeeper wrote:

jesusluvspegging wrote:

I don't know.  Throwing one's shoe is clearly not an attempt to do serious bodily harm.  In Iraq it's a grave insult but not really an attempt to harm.  I'd think it would be somewhere between a verbal assault and an assault with the intent to do harm.

OK.  Go outside, throw your shoe at the first cop you see, then use that argument and see how far it gets you.

I'll wait here for your report.

#5 2009-03-12 16:28:15

jesusluvspegging wrote:

Zookeeper wrote:

jesusluvspegging wrote:

OK.  Go outside, throw your shoe at the first cop you see, then use that argument and see how far it gets you.

Are you saying I'll be put away for three years?

I didn't say it was an act that is or should be consequence-free.   I'm just not sure about three years for the offense.

#6 2009-03-12 17:09:09

Zookeeper wrote:

Are you saying I'll be put away for three years?

I didn't say it was an act that is or should be consequence-free.   I'm just not sure about three years for the offense.

By that reckoning, my little brother would still await his parole date. I had him on height, weight and reach, but his deadly throwing arm evened the odds at a distance. Shoes were his favorite weapon, but I still sport a dent from a latex loaded paint brush. Neighbor kids sold tickets to our title bouts. Good times.

#7 2009-03-12 17:44:28

This is a delicate political and diplomatic issue for our puppet régime in Iraq.  The man is considered a hero by the majority of the Iraqi people and in the Arab world.  His death or a long imprisonment could lead to a revolution.  The puppets nevertheless have to make it clear that threats to their cushy positions will not be tolerated.  While officially our government says this is an internal Iraqi matter, our government is no doubt pushing for punishment for daring to insult our former Decider and challenging our right to run the country.  These factors would explain the relatively light sentence; in most Turd World countries this sort of thing would result in summary execution or in a long prison sentence that featured beatings, rape, starvation and other forms of torture.

#8 2009-03-12 18:03:47

jesusluvspegging wrote:

Zookeeper wrote:

jesusluvspegging wrote:

Zookie is black.  He wouldn't return.

#9 2009-03-12 18:24:24

fnord wrote:

This is a delicate political and diplomatic issue for our puppet régime in Iraq.  The man is considered a hero by the majority of the Iraqi people and in the Arab world.  His death or a long imprisonment could lead to a revolution.  The puppets nevertheless have to make it clear that threats to their cushy positions will not be tolerated.  While officially our government says this is an internal Iraqi matter, our government is no doubt pushing for punishment for daring to insult our former Decider and challenging our right to run the country.  These factors would explain the relatively light sentence; in most Turd World countries this sort of thing would result in summary execution or in a long prison sentence that featured beatings, rape, starvation and other forms of torture.

fnord, it's just so cute when you try to talk about politics!

#10 2009-03-12 18:27:06

I really expected this guy to get Guantanamoed, or at least five years in Iraqi prison and a public flogging.

#11 2009-03-13 04:38:49

http://pages.suddenlink.net/n8uxf/get_smart_shoe_phone.jpg
Mr. Bush, it's for you.

#12 2009-03-15 06:30:01

The guy shoulda practiced his aim.

#13 2009-03-15 13:07:28

Did you see what he got convicted of, though?  "Insulting a foreign dignitary"  Why the fuck should that be illegal, specifically?

#14 2009-03-16 00:16:25

Because if you do, they cry "Wah, wah, wah" all the way home.

#15 2009-03-16 00:52:20

Zookeeper wrote:

I don't know.  Throwing one's shoe is clearly not an attempt to do serious bodily harm.

Um, I dunno about that

#16 2009-03-17 09:13:50

Here,

http://www.heelsforyou.com/Images/Plsr-Apr08-web/adore-1020-bsch.jpg

Duck!

#17 2009-03-17 21:09:42

scarydog wrote:

The guy shoulda practiced his aim.

I thought the former pResident did a fair job of ducking and weaving. He'd had about 8 years of practice by then. Personally wishing that just one of the shoes hit its mark sadly didn't make it so.

Board footer

cruelery.com