#1 2009-04-03 13:42:25

Up to 40 people have been taken hostage and several others shot in the US state of New York, say reports.

Standard rules:

Age of the attacker?

Race?

Occupation?

Weaponry of choice?

Prior criminal record?

Previous connection with the American Civic Association?

Motive - anyone specifically targeted?

P.S. Dang, looks like the story was updated with age/race while writing this post.  Still plenty of details to speculate on, though.

#2 2009-04-03 13:53:55

In the UK Asian means Arab or Indian.  I'm going with a wacked out lone Muslim terrorist seeking martyrdom and the 72 virgins.

Edit:  Check that.  The story was from the BBC, but the witness describing the perp was an American.

Broome Community College Assistant Professor Tuong Hung Nguyen was asked to work with police to communicate with the shooter. Nguyen is fluent in Vietnamese.

Last edited by phreddy (2009-04-03 14:01:51)

#3 2009-04-03 18:55:49

square wrote:

Up to 40 people have been taken hostage and several others shot in the US state of New York, say reports.

Standard rules:

Age of the attacker?

Race?

Occupation?

Weaponry of choice?

Prior criminal record?

Previous connection with the American Civic Association?

Motive - anyone specifically targeted?

P.S. Dang, looks like the story was updated with age/race while writing this post.  Still plenty of details to speculate on, though.

My guesses

Weapons: Assault rifle and/or high capacity semi-auto pistols

Prior criminal record: None, "he was a quite hard working man"

Previous association: Was taking classes to get his citizenship when he got laid off and was notified his Visa was revoked.

Motive: See above

Last edited by badperson (2009-04-03 18:58:13)

#4 2009-04-04 02:49:19

What do you want, the standard profile, or the reason he went after an immigration center? People who go on "rampages" are targeting an institution or group. Individual human life is of no consequence for them, mostly because they have no care for themselves and have lost all empathy for other human life. We really have to wait for things like his employment record or whatever manifesto he left glued to the walls of his SRO. As most of these jackasses tend to end up well ventilated by the police or themselves, we're all left to ask "why" when the answer to that particular question is never going to satisfy.

#5 2009-04-07 12:38:49

#6 2009-04-07 23:31:45

Such people always tend to find justification in SOMETHING. If we even accept half of what the "cop" was doing, then it would be enough to drive ME apeshit, and we all know I can manage English adequately. Sounds like someone rode him into a corner, but it still doesn't excuse his response to it. You've got children who are abused for years who don't grow up to be abusers, themselves. I don't see a "vicious cycle" here, just someone who was late to snap and eventually went after the group/institution he felt had done him the most wrong. If left to my own devices, I would have just killed this "cop" person. The note is hard to parse, because of the language problem, but if so many of the experiences were correct, I'd probably wanna cut a bitch too. Doesn't mean a homicidal rampage was in order.

Last edited by pALEPHx (2009-04-07 23:32:58)

#7 2009-04-07 23:48:49

I don't think we can assume that any of it is true.  If you can believe him then an undercover cop in various guises has been following him from town to town through a name change and change of address over a period of almost 15 years, slamming brakes in front of his car, sneaking into his house and stealing $20 from his wallet, and giving him lots of ass.  Okay, I don't know what that last one means, but it doesn't sound good.

The idea that it's an undercover cop following him from one coast to the other seems a little too conveniently tinfoily.

#8 2009-04-08 00:25:37

I wasn't discounting his paranoia, only accepting that it had to have a focus on SOMETHING. He didn't exactly go after a police station or other government office. It's a subjective logic; he blames who he blames. While I don't put it past a probation officer or some other kind of law enforcement agent with an agenda, I highly doubt the circumstances, as well. This guy was definitely fantasizing more than probably occurred.

I try to put myself in Korea, or something (I have a friend who teaches there), and wonder if I'd consider myself "persecuted" by local officials because I hadn't mastered the communication skills. I still wouldn't be given to vengeance fantasies or the use of weapons to eradicate the institutions that had made my life inconvenient (even if I blamed them, and not myself for not actively learning to assimilate better). Job loss or inadequacy is a different matter. This country has accepted so many who have been able to find work, even those who have doctorates in their native lands, in far less superior positions.

This person was wired wrong to deal with personal failure. That may be cultural, or habitual, but the end result was outright violence, and that is not a social norm for his own culture, or ours.

#9 2009-04-08 08:44:38

Have you read that letter? He says he did it because when he was in California some police used secret techniques to control the fan in his house, making it stuffy and hard to breathe.

Kind of like my wife when she catches me fiddling with the thermostat.

#10 2009-04-08 21:17:15

GooberMcNutly wrote:

But you ARE trying to kill her.

#11 2009-04-08 21:23:40

pALEPHx wrote:

GooberMcNutly wrote:

But you ARE trying to kill her.

...are fags cold all the time, just like women?

#12 2009-04-09 01:56:32

That letter sounds eerily similar to Kathy.  Rogers might want to watch his back.

#13 2009-04-09 02:07:32

square wrote:

That letter sounds eerily similar to Kathy.  Rogers might want to watch his back.

Why, has rcade been giving Kathy ass?

#14 2009-04-09 02:14:19

square wrote:

It really does.

#15 2009-04-09 02:40:42

Choad needs to watch his back; I sent an email to Kathy a few months ago telling her where to find us.

Board footer

cruelery.com