#1 2009-04-17 20:44:53

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8003799.stm

Last edited by Dmtdust (2009-04-17 20:45:28)

#2 2009-04-17 21:18:21

Actually, for those of us who make our living selling our intellectual property (in my case, software) it's a rather happy day.

#3 2009-04-17 21:26:45

I see my stuff pirated all the time.  It phases me not.

#4 2009-04-17 23:17:30

Well, the site itself is still up, if that matters to anybody.

#5 2009-04-18 00:09:52

Zookeeper wrote:

Actually, for those of us who make our living selling our intellectual property (in my case, software) it's a rather happy day.

A lot of my stuff gets picked up by various news sites and blogs concerned with food safety/issues, etc. I'm of mixed feelings about it. I'm pleased my work is regarded as substantial enough that people refer to it and I'm happy more people are seeing it. Doesn't help my hit count, though.

#6 2009-04-18 00:44:05

OK, I'm going to have to ask for some advice, and as long as we're on the subject...

I recently downloaded season 1 of The Wire (must see), and the files were all fucked up. I tried to figure out what was wrong--long story short, HBO is circulating bad torrents, which they then use to send me a cease and desist order via my ISP. Apparently HBO has teams of people who do this for all their shows. This sucks, as HBO has the best series on tv. Is anybody willing to tell me:

A) If I should be worried about this, and

B) How I can get ahold of this stuff before my ISP starts charging by the gigabyte.

Any thoughts you all might have on this would be greatly appreciated.

#7 2009-04-18 01:50:04

Dmtdust wrote:

What type of "stuff" are your referring to and is it your livelihood?

Most folks who support themselves selling software they've developed do indeed care when their stuff gets pirated.  Piracy was costing me about 20% of my income at one point until I improved my software's protection.  Most folks would be phased by a 20% reduction in their income.

#8 2009-04-18 01:53:39

ah297900 wrote:

OK, I'm going to have to ask for some advice, and as long as we're on the subject...

I recently downloaded season 1 of The Wire (must see), and the files were all fucked up. I tried to figure out what was wrong--long story short, HBO is circulating bad torrents, which they then use to send me a cease and desist order via my ISP. Apparently HBO has teams of people who do this for all their shows. This sucks, as HBO has the best series on tv. Is anybody willing to tell me:

A) If I should be worried about this, and

B) How I can get ahold of this stuff before my ISP starts charging by the gigabyte.

C) Pay for HBO

or

D) NetFlix when they come out on DVD

#9 2009-04-18 01:54:39

Just out of curiosity, Zook, you technical or management?

#10 2009-04-18 02:11:50

Zookeeper wrote:

Dmtdust wrote:

What type of "stuff" are your referring to and is it your livelihood?

Most folks who support themselves selling software they've developed do indeed care when their stuff gets pirated.  Piracy was costing me about 20% of my income at one point until I improved my software's protection.  Most folks would be phased by a 20% reduction in their income.

I am an artist among a few other things.  My stuff has been pirated for years.  The only time I get upset is when someone is making money with it. , or claiming it as their own (like on ebay).  Then, I send my lawyer their ISP info.  I give them the option to pay a fee, or to not sell it, or display it, with a link.  They can mash it up if they like.  You change it enough, then it's yours from what I can see.  I can go to several sites with my art work on it, and I am happy to see my name still on the pieces.  More money for me.  Free advertisement and all.

I look forward to yearly reasonable yearly subscription rates for something like photoshop or illustrator.  I know many artist who use pirated versions.  Most want to come in and legitimize their use, but the cost is so very prohibitive.  Adobe is run by a bunch of wanks.  They could make 10 times what they are now if they had subscriptions, and a tiered system, but no, they would rather cut their noses off to spite their faces.

#11 2009-04-18 13:57:51

orangeplus wrote:

Just out of curiosity, Zook, you technical or management?

Yes, sort of.  I'm an independent developer and market my software myself from my own web site.  The current term in fashion for it is Micro ISV or mISV.  In days-gone-by the term was "shareware author" but since the word "shareware" has a negative connotation in so many minds a lot of developers don't use it.

#12 2009-04-18 14:07:36

Dmtdust wrote:

I am an artist among a few other things.  My stuff has been pirated for years.  The only time I get upset is when someone is making money with it. , or claiming it as their own (like on ebay).  Then, I send my lawyer their ISP info.  I give them the option to pay a fee, or to not sell it, or display it, with a link.  They can mash it up if they like.  You change it enough, then it's yours from what I can see.  I can go to several sites with my art work on it, and I am happy to see my name still on the pieces.  More money for me.  Free advertisement and all.

Artwork is probably among the hardest IP to protect (especially with the Internet).  So many people think that any graphic they find on any web site is up for grabs and use on their own site (just as all the user-created banners on High-Street came about).  They just don't understand what copyright is (at least in this context).  I've been guilty of that as well.  The tough part is that when you find an image on the web you usually don't know where it originated from and have no way of knowing what the wishes of the original artist are.  It might be public domain or it might not. 

With software there's really no ambiguity if the software states right on its start-up and About screens that it's commercial software and when the licensing agreement spells it out.  People who pirate such software know full well what they are doing.

#13 2009-04-18 14:17:13

Dmtdust wrote:

I look forward to yearly reasonable yearly subscription rates for something like photoshop or illustrator.  I know many artist who use pirated versions.  Most want to come in and legitimize their use, but the cost is so very prohibitive.  Adobe is run by a bunch of wanks.  They could make 10 times what they are now if they had subscriptions, and a tiered system, but no, they would rather cut their noses off to spite their faces.

Unfortunately, with most software products consumers simply aren't willing to agree to a model where they have to pay for annual license renewals.  Most consumers want a one-off deal.  I've sold software both ways so I know what I'm talking about.  For a product that requires regular updating to remain useful (anti-virus software is probably the best example) people are often willing to pay for the updates or pay an annual license renewal fee since the publisher is continually providing them updates that they need.  With graphic design software I would expect that you would have a hard time convincing users to keep paying for it year after year.  Too many people are satisfied buying the current version and don't care to keep paying for updates if the version they bought gets the job done for them.  Still, some publishers are starting to get some traction with the idea of unlimited updates (regardless of whether they are small or large updates) at a low annual price.

As for your friends who use pirated software because they consider it too expensive, they have no excuse.  If you consider something overpriced then don't buy it.  Just because you think something is overpriced is no excuse for stealing it.

#14 2009-04-18 14:54:27

Easily said, and understandable from your vantage.  As art has moved into the computer world, one has to have tools.  Artist are notoriously poor.  I mean you could use Gimp, which f'ing limps.

#15 2009-04-18 15:32:49

Dmtdust wrote:

Easily said, and understandable from your vantage.  As art has moved into the computer world, one has to have tools.  Artist are notoriously poor.  I mean you could use Gimp, which f'ing limps.

Software development tools aren't exactly cheap.  I've spent a fair amount on development tools, setup deployment tools, help authoring tools, etc.  I've also paid a fair amount to people for graphic and website development.

I agree with you about Gimp.  I'm no graphic artist but I found Gimp a major pain to try to get started with.  Paint.net was easier but still I don't use it much since I just plain suck at graphic design.  But it's a false dilemma to say one's choices are between a freeware/open source app and the most expensive product on the market.  There are lots of graphics programs out there with prices all along the continuum.  If you can't afford top-of-the-line then use something more affordable.

The bottom line though is if you can't live without something, that, by definition, makes it highly valuable to you.  To say it's too expensive on one hand and to say you can't do without it on another is sort of a contradiction unless it is literally priced beyond the means of the target customer.  Photoshop is expensive but if it's indispensable then it sort of follows that it is highly valuable and is likely to be priced as such.  I'm willing to bet that your friends paid for the computers they run their pirated copies of Photoshop on.  Most likely they cost a lot more than the software.  They just weren't so easy to get illegally.  It's easy to rationalize when its so easy to get away with it.  If your friends had had to break into a store to copy the software rather than just download it or get a copy from a friend I'm willing to bet they would have either ponied up the money or went with a less expensive product.

Last edited by Zookeeper (2009-04-18 15:35:54)

#16 2009-04-18 18:15:55

Well, as much as I agree with you, your model of the world no longer really exist.  The equiv of what actions you seem to endorse to deal with this situation would be the "War On Some Drugs", in truth you are spitting into the wind.  You can though, try to educate people, and provide multiple ways of paying.  Adobe sells but 5% of all of its copies.  That is pretty much the straight poop.  How Zooks are you going to convert all these people back to paying in the traditional manner?  The old music industry has failed miserably with the tactics you endorse, and is dying as a consequence.  The new music industry is doing quite well... and its model will prevail.  Just look at what the bands are doing on their own, and especially note the success of Radiohead and others with their way of dealing with the new landscape.

I was an acquaintance with Bob Wallace, you might look him up, and the part he played in this.

#17 2009-04-18 23:19:39

Dmtdust wrote:

Well, as much as I agree with you, your model of the world no longer really exist.  The equiv of what actions you seem to endorse to deal with this situation would be the "War On Some Drugs", in truth you are spitting into the wind.  You can though, try to educate people, and provide multiple ways of paying.  Adobe sells but 5% of all of its copies.  That is pretty much the straight poop.  How Zooks are you going to convert all these people back to paying in the traditional manner?  The old music industry has failed miserably with the tactics you endorse, and is dying as a consequence.  The new music industry is doing quite well... and its model will prevail.  Just look at what the bands are doing on their own, and especially note the success of Radiohead and others with their way of dealing with the new landscape.

If by "my model of the world" you mean a world where people have scruples and don't steal, well, the world has always had people lacking scruples and who are willing to take what isn't theirs if they can get away with it.  The big difference today is that now it's so much easier to do it without worrying about getting caught.  It's just so seductive to be able to download something free rather than lay your money down.  I'm not sure exactly what actions you think I "seem to endorse".  If you mean prosecuting people who practice and facilitate piracy, yep.  I'm all for that.  I know it won't stop people from pirating software but if most of the people who do something illegal get away with it that doesn't make the ones who get caught innocent.

How do I convert people to paying in the traditional manner?  Well, I increased my income by about 20% by employing effective anti-cracking measures in my software.  That paid off well.  For people who don't want to pay, there are other options such as through an outfit called TrialPay.  But there's really nothing anyone can do to stop much of the piracy that takes place.  The only thing that stops people from doing something wrong that is both easy and virtually risk-free is a change in the people themselves. 

Dmtdust wrote:

I was an acquaintance with Bob Wallace, you might look him up, and the part he played in this.

I'm fairly well plugged-in to the shareware world and know about Bob Walsh.  I've met one or two of the pioneers of the shareware industry.  What about Bob?

Last edited by Zookeeper (2009-04-18 23:22:21)

#18 2009-04-18 23:30:15

You're missing the point.  I am not talking free.  Done.  You aren't reading my post.  I was talking about models evolving.  Things do you know, hence the death of the traditional modes like the music industry.  Again reference Radiohead's set up etc.

Thanks, Bye.

#20 2009-04-18 23:39:38

Ah, QBASIC.  The first language I learned, putzing away on my 486/50 with DOS 6.22.  Loads of fun, but only because I didn't know any better.

#21 2009-04-19 00:06:14

Dmtdust wrote:

You're missing the point.

I read your post.  We're just making different points, that's all.

#22 2009-04-19 00:14:51

tojo2000 wrote:

Ah, QBASIC.  The first language I learned, putzing away on my 486/50 with DOS 6.22.  Loads of fun, but only because I didn't know any better.

I started out with Commodore PET BASIC in 1980.  Why would anyone need more than 4k of RAM?

#23 2009-04-19 00:35:54

Zookeeper wrote:

Dmtdust wrote:

You're missing the point.

I read your post.  We're just making different points, that's all.

You're right.  Maybe we could actually talk points sometimes.

Clarification:  I agree that you have to do what you can do to protect your investment, and expertise with your product.

#24 2009-04-20 11:30:34

Dmtdust wrote:

Things do you know, hence the death of the traditional modes like the music industry.  Again reference Radiohead's set up etc.

Trent Reznor as well.  In May of 2008, he gave "The Slip" a-way for free to every-body registered to the Nothing Records web-site as a way to say "Thank You."  I was certainly appreciative of that move.

And, I know that a-lot of artist (Like that irrelevant ass-hole, Billy Corigan) get pissed-off about on-line music file sharing; But, I've occasionally been inspired to purchase compact discs after listening to songs that I've down-loaded.  I never would have even heard of Trail Of Dead had I not down-loaded their song "Life."  I thought that it was so great that I bought every one of their discs - The same with The White Stripes after I down-loaded their last album (Which kicked-ass; But, as it turns out, that one was a bit of a departure for them and I'm not at all impressed with their earlier discs).

Board footer

cruelery.com