#1 2009-04-27 21:04:11

I'm not usually such a"softie;' But this is adorable.

May Xenu Have Mercy On Your Thetan-Infested Souls,
Dec

#2 2009-04-28 00:54:22

This is what Scientologists actually believe

Actually, I'm willing to bet that most of the rank-and-file Scientologists don't believe most of that at all.  Just the ones who have paid enough to earn this "Advanced Technology" secret information. 

I'd love to hear from a low-level Scientologist to get their take on the whole Xenu thing.  From what I understand they won't talk about it since they've been admonished to cover their ears and hum loudly whenever anyone says "Xenu" to them.  They probably think the story is just lies unbelievers tell about their church.

#3 2009-04-28 01:12:28

Scientology is just as believable as any other religion.  The only reason it stands out is that it has only been around for a few decades now rather than a few centuries or millenia.  Religion of any kind is a form of mental retardation in my mind.

#4 2009-04-28 01:24:19

Dirckman wrote:

Scientology is just as believable as any other religion.  The only reason it stands out is that it has only been around for a few decades now rather than a few centuries or millenia.  Religion of any kind is a form of mental retardation in my mind.

Oh, I'd say it's more retarded than most.  It's one thing to believe that God has magical powers, the thing that makes this extra retarded is the inclusion of things that are supposedly not magical, yet completely disprovable, like L. Ron Hubbard saying he went to Mars and was almost run over by a train, or that people evolved from clams.

#5 2009-04-28 01:27:56

tojo2000 wrote:

Dirckman wrote:

Oh, I'd say it's more retarded than most.  It's one thing to believe that God has magical powers, the thing that makes this extra retarded is the inclusion of things that are supposedly not magical, yet completely disprovable, like L. Ron Hubbard saying he went to Mars and was almost run over by a train, or that people evolved from clams.

I did not evolve from a mollusk, thank you. I am the descendant of a cephalopod. With wavy blue hair and a tattoo of Elvis just above his beak.

#6 2009-04-28 08:30:15

tojo2000 wrote:

. . . like L. Ron Hubbard saying he went to Mars and was almost run over by a train, or that people evolved from clams.

Thanks for the remider of one of my favorite qoutes (Now, added to the main page - At least until CO$ sues the fuck out of of Choad).

"People will tell you that there are no trains on Venus; But, let me tell you, I was all-most run over by one.  That's the funny thing about trains - They're all-ways trying to run you over." ~ L. Ron Hubbard

#7 2009-04-28 09:23:26

Dirckman wrote:

I have been attending church regularly all year and let me tell you, the things that are said as gospel in there are as bat shit crazy as anything scientologists could ever dream to come up with. And this is a watered down liberal flavor of Christianity to boot.

I even took a class on the history and development of Anglican theology to get a handle on it. The only people who even begin to speak some sense were those like Richard Hooker who said essentially look, at the root of it all we are born sacred and all we have to do is realize that for what it is. That this may be the whole of God's desire for us. He really wanted to say that all the rest of the dogma and much of the liturgy was superfluous, but he couldn't quite get away with going that far. Especially with the competing forces of Calvinism making inroads at the time.

Just be glad we don't have the proteges of Calvin still lurking around. They would make our Christian Right look like pussies.

On the other hand, when on the mainland I have been attending church with a friend who is the female rector of a prominent large East Coast City's church. I got to see her preach from the pulpit that it is time to rewrite the bible completely. That the wording is all out of context for modern human life and the entire tone of it should be altered. It was written for another time and people. She particularly objects to the Christian soldier wording and thinks the parables and gospel should also be changed to new stories. That changing it in no way means you have to throw out God's message.

I watched her go through the thought process of preparing to write the sermon when I was spending the day before in her home, but I had no idea she was going to say something so sensible yet so radical.

It was awesome.

#8 2009-04-28 10:56:45

Johnny_Rotten wrote:

I have been attending church regularly all year and let me tell you, the things that are said as gospel in there are as bat shit crazy as anything scientologists could ever dream to come up with.

I endured something similar when I first moved back here and whether she knew it or not, George helped me see the light. Still have that exchange here somewhere.

It's all bunk, Johnny, every last bleeding word of it... marching as to war.

Further!

#9 2009-04-28 13:26:04

Johnny_Rotten wrote:

Just be glad we don't have the proteges of Calvin still lurking around.

In-Deed.
https://cruelery.com/uploads/167_calvinandhobbes.jpeg

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#10 2009-04-28 19:20:18

With creationism and intelligent design proponents like the Discovery Institute and Ken Hamm trying to force their ideologies on everyone, Christianity has turned extremely dangerous.  The Texas school system is their latest target and they are winning many battles there.  They knowingly do whatever they can to destroy critical thinking skills and knowledge of the scientific method, dumbing down as many people as they can in the process.  These people are setting our society back decades of scientific progress and no matter how much they are exposed to be frauds they never seem to lose their reputations.  Scientology has its share of morons that choose to believe their comic book ideologies, but they aren't a major threat to a free thinking society like Chistianity and Islam are.  I'm all for letting people believe whatever it is they want to believe until they become a threat to a free society.  The major religions have been and remain a threat.

#11 2009-04-29 03:55:38

More Scientology lulz:

Stephen Colbert's attempt to over-ride Xenu as the most voted on name for NASA's Node 3.

Anonymous responds:

#12 2009-04-30 21:35:01

choad wrote:

whether she knew it or not, George helped me see the light.

I didn't know it, and can't guess what exchange you are referring to; but I am delighted to have been of service.  Today's been one of the shittier days in recent memory* so it was nice to have a little light peep in.

*Nobody died or anything.  It'll be OK in the long run.

Board footer

cruelery.com