#2 2009-06-25 17:24:02

That video is wrong.  You can't just drop a fucking tick in the trash can; it will crawl out and re-attach itself to you or someone you love.  You either drop them into a dish of nail polish remover (and even then you have to watch 'em swim awhile before they stop moving) or set them on fire (quicker and more fun; but watch out they don't pop and splatter ya).  It's the only way to be sure!

#3 2009-06-25 17:29:27

There is no over kill in regards to ticks [among other vermin and the like].

[Possibly a homo sapien thing.]

#4 2009-06-25 18:07:36

Somehow I see this thing leaving the head in place, which can lead to a serious skin infection, septicemia, or a deadly illness like Plague, or Hantavirus.

#5 2009-06-25 18:43:15

fnord wrote:

Somehow I see this thing leaving the head in place, which can lead to a serious skin infection, septicemia, or a deadly illness like Plague, or Hantavirus.

I was always told you have to coat them in something (like mineral oil or Vaseline) so that they can't breathe, as they normally do, from the pores in their disgusting alien bodies, and have to retract their horrible horribly sucky-heads from beneath the skin.  Only then can you pluck them off and set them on fire and watch them shrivel and finally die.

I hate the eternal fuck out of those things.  What MSG_Tripps said above.

#6 2009-06-25 19:24:13

Having pulled innumerable ticks off my dog and a few off myself and friends, I'm with fnord on this one.  This device will leave the head embedded.  I think Georgi's mineral oil method may work, but I just grab a pair of tweezers, grip the head, and yank the damned things out.  The dog likes to eat them, but I demur.

#7 2009-06-25 19:25:13

George Orr wrote:

I was always told you have to coat them in something (like mineral oil or Vaseline) so that they can't breathe

That’s not recommended.  Pull them out with tweezer, trying not to crush them.  After removal, drop them in a glass bottle filled with alcohol.  They keep indefinitely and make a fun project.

http://f.imagehost.org/0806/77019802_cc9a8eb70e.jpg

#8 2009-06-25 22:56:55

What's the name of that fly that burrows into your skin and creates a larva? That you kill by putting duct tape over your skin, and it basically wiggles out?

#9 2009-06-25 23:01:05

icangetyouatoe wrote:

What's the name of that fly that burrows into your skin and creates a larva? That you kill by putting duct tape over your skin, and it basically wiggles out?

Do you mean chiggers?

#10 2009-06-25 23:04:47

You are all making my Neato Thingie into a not-so-neato thingie.

*itches*

We used to use Vaseline. It worked.

#11 2009-06-25 23:07:53

No. A bot fly? I think it's a bot fly. Chiggers do that too? Gross.

#12 2009-06-25 23:12:19

*sticks fingers in ears*

LALALALALALALALALA

#13 2009-06-25 23:18:54

icangetyouatoe wrote:

That would be the botfly.

Edit: dang, Toe beat me to it.  Just be glad I didn't post photos.

Last edited by square (2009-06-25 23:25:07)

#14 2009-06-25 23:21:17

In Alaska, I lived blissfully without the menace of ticks or chiggers or fleas or snakes. Then I moved to the Sierra Foothills of California where all these things lived in abundance. I was horrified. They were everywhere. They were after me. They wanted to kill me, slowly, by draining all my precious bodily fluids.

Now I live in San Francisco where I don't have to deal with the damned things and the only creatures who want my precious bodily fluids are good looking guys and phlebotomists. I see one mosquito a year. If I can't be back in Alaska, this does quite nicely.

#15 2009-06-25 23:31:22

square wrote:

icangetyouatoe wrote:

That would be the botfly.

Edit: dang, Toe beat me to it.  Just be glad I didn't post photos.

Thank you so much for that enlightening link, Square, and even more for the lovely video of a bot fly being removed from a woman's head. Let me return the favor.

#16 2009-06-25 23:34:19

I hate Taint and I hate square and I hate toe.  Ugh ugh ugh.  Vomit vomit vomit.

#17 2009-06-26 09:22:30

I coat them with kerosene, then set them on fire. Then pull them out with tweezers. But that's cause I am a manly man.

Actually, if they haven't started gorging, you can usually get them to back out with a little heat, like a hot coffee cup or a few touches with a soldering iron. Once they start to feed though they can't let go quickly if they wanted to, so you have to just pull them out slowly, trying to keep the head attached.

If I am outside Ill drop them on the pavement and step on them, popping them like a little bloody grape. Inside they take the Tidy Bowl express to Davey Jones Locker.

#18 2009-06-26 10:10:18

For 14 years I lived in the Bay area where Taint's description is correct. I can count the number of mosquito bites I received on 1 hand. And as an added bonus from the gods, there may be  some sort of enzyme in certain local animals that interrupts the Lymes disease life cycle.

Now I am mostly in the N  East for the year and living in ground zero for Lymes. I was visiting the hospital in February and saw a pallet load sitting in the hallway. It was boxes comprising  2 cubic yards of sterilized tweezers and little scissors. All for pulling out the coming season of embedded ticks. They go through two of these shipments a year.

The locals here spend alot of time educating everyone on proper removal. Tweezers that have the correct machined tips to do the job quickly. I think they are so vehement against all other methods because they can result in a stressed tick injecting more disease laden saliva or blood into the bite.

https://cruelery.com/uploads/359_001v2_lg.jpg

"They've gone from being cutesy deer to antlered rats. Each deer is loaded with ticks. This is a significant public health issue."  said Dr. Timothy Lepore, medical director ... (includes related articles on Lyme disease prevention)

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

Last edited by Johnny_Rotten (2009-06-26 10:14:18)

#19 2013-12-24 05:38:29

Another entry in the let's-gross-out-George competition.

#20 2013-12-24 08:48:50

choad wrote:

Another entry in the let's-gross-out-George competition.

That larvae in the first pic doesn't look like it could have come from under your skin. It does, however,  look like it could have come from Uranus.

https://cruelery.com/uploads/thumbs/415_human-bot-fly-3rd-instar-buss.jpg

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

Last edited by Banjo (2013-12-24 09:05:21)

#21 2013-12-24 10:26:52

As to Lyme disease, I was lucky enough to have the full course of this stuff...

https://ssl.adam.com/graphics/thomson/t102197f.jpg

Ergo, I am for all intents and purposes, immune. 

(And I am now quite literally a happy camper)

Board footer

cruelery.com