#251 2016-11-10 11:35:30

All the growers up in my part of California are in mourning.  Now that we have legalized weed, the bottom of the market will drop out.  California's Central Valley has some of the best growing dirt in the world and the farmers who own it will be able to produce pot by the bail.  Yes, there will be boutique growers in Humboldt County and elsewhere, but it won't take long before the big farms come up with their own distinctive strains, and for a lot less.

Now if all the states can follow suit, we will finally put the Mexican cartels out of business.  Well, out of the pot business anyway.  Maybe we will eventually wise up and legalize all drugs for recreational use by adults exercising their free will.

#252 2016-11-10 11:52:58

phreddy wrote:

All the growers up in my part of California are in mourning.  Now that we have legalized weed, the bottom of the market will drop out.  California's Central Valley has some of the best growing dirt in the world and the farmers who own it will be able to produce pot by the bail.  Yes, there will be boutique growers in Humboldt County and elsewhere, but it won't take long before the big farms come up with their own distinctive strains, and for a lot less.

Now if all the states can follow suit, we will finally put the Mexican cartels out of business.  Well, out of the pot business anyway.  Maybe we will eventually wise up and legalize all drugs for recreational use by adults exercising their free will.

I doubt it. There is a reason that sweet corn is grown on hidden fields and in front of the farmhouse, midnight raids would clean out anyone growing it out in the open. Sure, there are a LOT of crops grown under glass, and I expect 99% of the legal weed will be too, if just to control access and prevent accidental pollination. But that's expensive and manpower intensive, so prices will probably not shrink more than 50%. And quality will probably suffer as well.

Compare to tomatoes. When was the last time you had a tasty, cheap tomato grown on a farm? Or a cheap but good California wine?

#253 2016-11-10 12:22:07

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Compare to tomatoes. When was the last time you had a tasty, cheap tomato grown on a farm? Or a cheap but good California wine?

I get incredible heirloom tomatoes at the Farmer's Market at the top of my road.  All grown with 15 minutes drive of my house.  As for California Wine, well, good is a very subjective term.

I envision that if this ever reaches the national level, big tobacco is ready to pounce.  But I'll still by from my local.  Or more likely, grow my own.

#254 2016-11-10 12:58:17

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Compare to tomatoes. When was the last time you had a tasty, cheap tomato grown on a farm?

For breakfast, direct from Choad Farm, 10 black krim crowded on the only unshaded strip of leaf mulched beach sand available on this postage stamp lot. Already sieved next year's seed. Last year they grew to the roof line and I fed the neighborhood. I'll see how they manage under lights this winter.

A-N-Y idiot can grow weed.

#255 2016-11-10 16:21:02

Any idiot can grow tomatoes, too. How many do? And you know Big Tobacco will roll a joint that's low tar, menthol flavored horse manure. But their advertising will convince you that is what you want, so you will buy it.

So maybe it's time to invest some money in the next Mr Beer for weed.

#256 2016-11-10 16:42:45

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Any idiot can grow tomatoes, too. How many do? And you know Big Tobacco will roll a joint that's low tar, menthol flavored horse manure. But their advertising will convince you that is what you want, so you will buy it.

So maybe it's time to invest some money in the next Mr Beer for weed.

Double edged sword.  Industry will offer us certified potency which is a necessity these days, however my neighbor will offer you this smooth strawberry tasting shit that will make the casual smoker paranoid in 5 minutes flat.

Money talks so we'll go through the gyrations and eventually end up with crap in shrink-wrap, top shelf stuff in silk pouches and craft weed with funky names.  The world never really changes.

#257 2016-11-11 10:47:25

Emmeran wrote:

Money talks so we'll go through the gyrations and eventually end up with crap in shrink-wrap, top shelf stuff in silk pouches and craft weed with funky names.  The world never really changes.

So, Bud Light, Westy-12 and Homebrew. I can live with that.

#258 2016-11-11 11:52:22

I have a feeling the edibles are going to be the biggest problem.

#259 2016-11-11 11:56:39

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Any idiot can grow tomatoes, too. How many do?

Anyone who wants to remember what tomatoes were before UC Davis bred them for uniform size, color, thick skins for mechanical pickers and rancid taste. Heirlooms have zero shelf life. They are the LAST crop I'd grow if I were a commercial grower.

#260 2016-11-11 14:36:26

choad wrote:

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Any idiot can grow tomatoes, too. How many do?

Anyone who wants to remember what tomatoes were before UC Davis bred them for uniform size, color, thick skins for mechanical pickers and rancid taste. Heirlooms have zero shelf life. They are the LAST crop I'd grow if I were a commercial grower.

You can still go to the Farmer's Markets during the summer here in the area and get the tomatoes that burn your mouth they're so good.

#261 2016-11-11 14:43:39

You guys are just reinforcing my position. Nobody has mentioned getting great tomatoes at the big box, where 99% of the tomatoes are sold. Expect a rush to the bottom in Big Tobacco; who can make the just marginally intoxicating joint for the minimum money? But, tobacco has always sold premium brands along with the schwag, so they might notice how the Millenials are always willing to spend (someone else's) money on quality, so I don't worry about the lack of product. Just the bad rep it will get for being produced by a company watching the bottom line first.

But all that's years away. First the government has to figure out just how heavy a burden of a sin tax the public will put up with while gratefully collecting the taxes and political contributions with the other hand. If they set up a three-tier distribution model like for beer, you might as well ring your dealer back up, because it's over.

#262 2016-11-11 15:12:38

Baywolfe wrote:

You can still go to the Farmer's Markets during the summer here in the area and get the tomatoes that burn your mouth they're so good.

Or just go to my kitchen

https://cruelery.com/uploads/11_wp_20161111_001.jpg

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#263 2016-11-13 17:12:00

Apparently, not for a few months.

#265 2016-11-23 12:41:54

https://cruelery.com/sidepic/corner.mailbox.png

~ click ~
https://cruelery.com/header/HSwedeliver.jpg

#266 2016-11-23 13:32:14

https://i.imgur.com/PLRVTrZ.jpg

#268 2017-01-17 10:38:04

The next step will be for the big dollars to move in, buy everybody out, and regulate the supply and, therefore, the price.  At least that's what my old Economics textbook said usually happens.

#269 2017-01-17 13:06:37

Baywolfe wrote:

The next step will be for the big dollars to move in, buy everybody out, and regulate the supply and, therefore, the price.  At least that's what my old Economics textbook said usually happens.

Walmart brand doobies in 4...3...2..

#270 2017-01-17 15:08:21

Emmeran wrote:

Baywolfe wrote:

I wonder if folks will open and use those as they shop too....??

#271 2017-01-17 15:36:29

Mugwump wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

Baywolfe wrote:

It seems that Walmart has more of a meth/ heroine culture.

#272 2017-01-18 10:38:08

Emmeran wrote:

Baywolfe wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/hMGs9DS.jpg

#273 2017-01-18 10:43:39

Bigcat wrote:

Mugwump wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

It seems that Walmart has more of a meth/ heroine culture.

Meth, maybe, but not heroin, at least not in the south!

#277 2017-05-19 17:00:14

Volunteers needed to smoke pot for science

Last edited by GooberMcNutly (2017-05-19 17:00:33)

#279 2017-06-14 07:21:32

Gee, a former Mexican Presidente who speaks in complete, coherent sentences.

In English. What'll they think of next?

https://cruelery.com/sidepic/bandido.png

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2017/0 … ism-trump/

#282 2017-07-11 16:35:12

That's what happens when you put the liquor distributors in charge of pot. What do they care, they bought a government sponsored monopoly with their campaign contributions. Monopolies ain't got time for that customer service BS.

#283 2017-07-11 16:38:50

Or perhaps this is what happens when you answer the pent up demand.  Specialized stores are a joke, put it with the booze and be done with it.

Now on the other hand cleaning up the booze distribution laws should be part of it.

#284 2017-07-12 10:37:43

In one of the states I visit, the corrupting influence of regulating the markets is playing out very badly for everyone but the monopoly holders. The existing 2  licensed distributors have spent more than it cost to build their businesses on lobbyists in the last term. Successfully shutting down the granting of new distributorships.  They went so far as to provide very high paying jobs for already retired ex- senators so that they could send clear signals to the current legislators where their loyalties should lie when they block the existing regulation plan they already approved last year.

This is about to cause a real problem for those in state government tasked with implementing the law. They tax by granting yearly license fees to producers and distributors. And have gained 10s of millions for the state budget this year in granting production licenses.  And now that all just started producing there will be a glut in 3 months and no where to sell it as the only distributors may be  maxed. You can imagine the contrived pressure that will happen to the markets, price and  investments of the producers. Almost all of whom are small scale local businesses who invested less than 3 m to get operational.

The law requires the state to arrive at harvest to grind into dust anything not under contract to be sold. It can not be stored to be sold later.  In a fitting, maybe kafkaesque, turn of events, one of the distributor's partners has applied for and received the state license to be the certified wood chipper with the state contract.  Whom will be dragged cerimoniously to the grow with state bureaucrats in tow, to  grind up his very suppliers product that they choose not to buy. All the while charging a fee for this service to humanity. That is going to be some shit show this fall.

#285 2017-07-12 10:45:36

Johnny_Rotten wrote:

In one of the states I visit, the corrupting influence of regulating the markets is playing out very badly for everyone but the monopoly holders.

Ah, you've been visiting Massachusetts.  As you know familiarity breeds corruption, long term familiarity breeds monopolistic corruption.

#287 2017-07-17 14:01:00

Too bad it was discovered before they even had time to crank up the ad campaign.

#288 2017-07-22 18:06:48

Times they are a changing, Bangor local newspaper runs "How to grow marijuana" article in gardening section.

#289 2017-07-22 18:28:21

Emmeran wrote:

Johnny_Rotten wrote:

In one of the states I visit, the corrupting influence of regulating the markets is playing out very badly for everyone but the monopoly holders.

Ah, you've been visiting Massachusetts.  As you know familiarity breeds corruption, long term familiarity breeds monopolistic corruption.

There once was a bootlegger police chief from Nantucket...

#290 2017-07-22 19:55:23

A new study at the University of Bonn in Germany, in collaboration with a team from The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, found that cannabis reverses aging in the elderly brain.

Administering a low-dose of cannabis to three different groups of mice (2-months old, 12-months old, and 18-months old), over the course of 1 month, the researchers found that the elderly mice (i.e. the 18-month group) were able to perform at the same level as the control group of young mice (i.e. the 2-month group). The elderly mice, Forbes writes, “struggled with tasks as consistent with their brain ages at first, but saw a huge increase in performance with THC infusions that raised their skill level up to young-mouse (drug free) standards and continued for weeks afterward.”

http://cannabissativainc.com/cannabis-r … ing-brain/

#292 2017-07-25 19:03:59

It just keeps getting closer to the Demolition Man world, doesn't it?

#293 2017-07-26 10:50:17

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/news/2017/07/26/TELEMMGLPICT000135775243-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqpVlberWd9EgFPZtcLiMQfyf2A9a6I9YchsjMeADBa08.jpeg

Click to take communion...

#294 2017-08-01 20:16:29

The Dude abides...

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. (And I'm sure he will be "randomly" selected...)

#295 2017-08-30 10:04:55

https://dynamicmedia.zuza.com/zz/m/original_/3/c/3c631dab-219c-406d-8968-e4fbc0488386/B823516219Z.1_20170829182551_000_GUV1UNB25.2_Super_Portrait.jpg

Click, hold, pass to the left.

#296 2017-09-03 00:40:03

https://cruelery.com/sidepic/falsealarm.png

~ Your Spunk Is Spaced ~

#298 2017-09-19 13:37:55

#299 2017-09-19 16:00:08

Emmeran wrote:

OUI?

Just do the standard field sobriety test twice. Once with quiet and again while Bohemian Rhapsody plays loudly. I think it will be pretty obvious at that point who is baked.

Board footer

cruelery.com