#1 2007-11-07 21:30:20

... and we're worried about a Hollywood writers strike ...

Georgian security forces shut down the independent press.

The last 3 minutes of broadcast

Translation of last minute

Reuters article

via Metafilter

#2 2007-11-07 21:39:43

kim

Holy shit

#3 2007-11-07 22:04:11

Goddammit, where is Team America???

#4 2007-11-07 22:13:36

I'm afraid the response from Team America will be "Fuck Yeah".   Saakashvili is our "ally".

#5 2007-11-07 22:26:28

When I heard that Georgia had declared a state of emergency, I was thinking that the South had finally risen and the long national nighmare was over.  Imagine my chagrin.

#6 2007-11-07 22:39:25

headkicker_girl wrote:

When I heard that Georgia had declared a state of emergency, I was thinking that the South had finally risen and the long national nighmare was over.  Imagine my chagrin.

My grandmother - from Lavinia, TN - always referred to it as "The late, great unpleasantness".

Bless her heart.

#7 2007-11-07 22:43:39

whosasailorthen wrote:

My grandmother - from Lavinia, TN - always referred to it as "The late, great unpleasantness".

Bless her heart.

Southerners are so polite.  She makes it sound as simple as removing a dead possum from under the porch.

#8 2007-11-07 23:30:24

headkicker_girl wrote:

whosasailorthen wrote:

Bless her heart.

Southerners are so polite.  She makes it sound as simple as removing a dead possum from under the porch.

Yeah, she was a true southern lady... fair of skin and soft of voice... all of 5' tall, but could wring a chicken's neck with one hand, and out-cook Justin Wilson on any day of the week.  Died at 98.  God, I miss her pear preserves.  *Desperately*.  She clearly remembered her mom telling her stories of when the (damn) yankee troops marched through their farm, took everything and destroyed the rest.

#9 2007-11-08 00:46:05

And you want to know what happened after the lights went out and the cutaway? Tune in to Fox Nuze. They've been running state-sponsored propaganda for years.

#10 2007-11-08 00:46:46

On the brighter side they've just been rescued from having their news station purchased by Rupert Murdoch.

#11 2007-11-08 05:03:07

whosasailorthen wrote:

Yeah, she was a true southern lady... fair of skin and soft of voice... all of 5' tall, but could wring a chicken's neck with one hand, and out-cook Justin Wilson on any day of the week.  Died at 98.  God, I miss her pear preserves.  *Desperately*.  She clearly remembered her mom telling her stories of when the (damn) yankee troops marched through their farm, took everything and destroyed the rest.

I sweat cranky yankee from every pore but my best friends celebrate 72 years of marriage this week. As I type, I'm looking at a jar labelled "Beach Plum - Ellie's Jellies" and you're right. Hard not to cry. They're both 97.

May your last Reb Widow rest in peace...

#12 2007-11-08 06:12:06

pALEPHx wrote:

And you want to know what happened after the lights went out and the cutaway? Tune in to Fox Nuze. They've been running state-sponsored propaganda for years.

Fox news is partisan (just like the shuttered Georgian media), not a government mouthpiece.  I don't recall them cheer-leading the Clinton Administration.

#13 2007-11-08 08:11:41

choad wrote:

whosasailorthen wrote:

I sweat cranky yankee from every pore but my best friends celebrate 72 years of marriage this week. As I type, I'm looking at a jar labelled "Beach Plum - Ellie's Jellies" and you're right. Hard not to cry. They're both 97.

May your last Reb Widow rest in peace...

Cheers.  Thanks for that. 

And just remember, as for ol' Neil Young, southern man don't need him around anyhow.

#14 2007-11-08 14:17:22

opsec wrote:

Fox news is partisan (just like the shuttered Georgian media), not a government mouthpiece. I don't recall them cheer-leading the Clinton Administration.

Tojo's remark was more amusing. Bring teh funay, Ops! Try harder!

When you're done, you can seriously explain how partisanship in journalism is any different, in the end, than state-sponsorship. In a way, I think, the former is worse because you're just kissing the ass of whoever's in power, as averse to being forced to broadcast only what the State wants the citizenry to know. Which is to say, you can actually get "news" from Faux Noise, but you have to read between the lines, to strip it of the unabashed editorializing. Not recommended for children below voting age, really.

#15 2007-11-08 17:33:58

pALEPHx wrote:

can [you] seriously explain how partisanship in journalism is any different, in the end, than state-sponsorship.

It isn't. Never was, never will be, world without end, amen.

Objective news reporting is a myth and no one would read it if it wasn't.

Now for fucksake, read this:

Journalist Sues Interviewee For Expressing Views

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#16 2007-11-08 18:32:10

pALEPHx wrote:

you can seriously explain how partisanship in journalism is any different, in the end, than state-sponsorship.

It's different only like a 2 party system is different from a 1 party system.  I'm sorry, I thought my point obvious.

#17 2007-11-08 18:45:29

pALEPHx wrote:

opsec wrote:

Fox news is partisan (just like the shuttered Georgian media), not a government mouthpiece. I don't recall them cheer-leading the Clinton Administration.

Tojo's remark was more amusing. Bring teh funay, Ops! Try harder!

When you're done, you can seriously explain how partisanship in journalism is any different, in the end, than state-sponsorship. In a way, I think, the former is worse because you're just kissing the ass of whoever's in power, as averse to being forced to broadcast only what the State wants the citizenry to know. Which is to say, you can actually get "news" from Faux Noise, but you have to read between the lines, to strip it of the unabashed editorializing. Not recommended for children below voting age, really.

Indeed!

#18 2007-11-08 19:40:41

opsec wrote:

I'm sorry, I thought my point obvious.

It wasn't, dear. Still isn't. But carry on!

http://www.xmere.com/forums/uploads/post_images/cthulhu_gunn.jpg

#19 2007-11-08 21:05:06

http://www.jwz.org/images/14-3.jpg

#20 2007-11-09 05:54:29

All day long Fox news has been reporting that our long national nightmare is over. French Fries are finally back on the menu boys.

Not a pip about Georgia though.

#21 2007-11-09 09:44:43

I'm surprised Fox hasn't reported if as "tough security measures to insure the freedom of the Georgian people".

#22 2007-11-09 10:31:23

Yes it is odd. The Georgian Prez is completely in line with Fox's attempt to restart the cold war build up and cast Putin as the second coming of Stalin.

But then again they are a bit schizo about Musharraf's actions this week. The anchors keep giving mixed messages which means that management hasn't decided exactly what talking points they must conform to.

I suspect that they got back market research that says that  martial law doesn't yet play to a full house in Peoria. I am sure that once they figure out how to tie it to 9/11 and the surrender party's attempt to flush the nation down Billary's commode they will get all the pundits in a row to quack the same tune.

Board footer

cruelery.com