#1 2009-10-25 01:08:56

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the Albatross
About my neck was hung

http://chrisjordan.com/current_set2.php?id=11

Last edited by sofaking (2009-10-25 01:11:54)

#2 2009-10-25 01:31:55

You know, they should really only eat that corn-based plastic, the stuff that dissolves in water? That would solve this whole problem.

#3 2009-10-25 01:43:38

Scientific revalation:  "Albatross are dumb as rocks"

Nothing to see here...

#4 2009-10-25 02:21:14

Civilization is on the verge of collapse because humans are exceeding the carrying capacity of our planet.  It’s entirely possible that the collapse of civilization will also mean the demise of all humans.  However, our plastic trash will be around for hundreds of thousands of years, and sea turtles, albatrosses, sharks and other animals that mistake plastic for food will have to evolve the sense to avoid it or become extinct.

#5 2009-10-25 05:00:43

Emm - The revalation (sic) is much more about humans and what negligent fucks we are.  There's everything to see here -- an anthropological portrait worth thousands of words.

#6 2009-10-25 05:53:10

fnord wrote:

animals that mistake plastic for food will have to evolve the sense to avoid it or become extinct.

#8 2009-10-25 14:49:23

Emmeran wrote:

Nothing to see here...

I respectfully disagree.

#9 2009-10-25 16:54:38

It's just how shit goes...  Every successful species in the history of the planet has changed their environment and pushed out competing species...  Environmental change is what pushes species to evolve and those that can't succeed die and become biological dead ends.  The whole problem with environmentalists is that they somehow think that humans are somehow special and that the rules don't apply to them.  Dinosaurs were far more successful for far longer than humans and not only created numerous biolgical dead ends, but created numerous niches that needed to be filled by other species.  It's reality folks, it's not a good thing, nor is it a bad thing, it's just how the world works.

#10 2009-10-25 21:04:28

Dirckman wrote:

It's just how shit goes...  Every successful species in the history of the planet has changed their environment and pushed out competing species...  Environmental change is what pushes species to evolve and those that can't succeed die and become biological dead ends.  The whole problem with environmentalists is that they somehow think that humans are somehow special and that the rules don't apply to them.  Dinosaurs were far more successful for far longer than humans and not only created numerous biolgical dead ends, but created numerous niches that needed to be filled by other species.  It's reality folks, it's not a good thing, nor is it a bad thing, it's just how the world works.

You're right when you point out that all species change and have changed their environments, but you're overlooking the fact that we have exerted far more pressure on the environment than any other. We have the ability to alter our landscape in a way that no other species before us ever has. We use up resources at a rate far faster than any others, and - of any intelligent, mobile, tactile mammals - there are more of us than of any similar or related species, save for small mammals such as rodents and the like.

Yes, we are special because - unlike other species - we can actually alter the rules and, often, the outcomes in a way that just isn't possible for most animals.

#11 2009-10-25 21:15:17

sofaking wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

Nothing to see here...

I respectfully disagree.

Look love, I don't believe in global warming but I do believe that we need to clean up our act for a number of reasons.  If global warming or global trashing is the cause du jour to get that done I'm all for it.

But at the end of the day this is just about education, smart people are usually considerate and don't litter; dumb and greedy people are working to destroy the beauty that is our world.

Solution:  more wars, the dumb people are great cannon fodder.

#12 2009-10-25 22:47:38

kim

This is my area of specialty (as it is my career as well as the reason why I started my NP) and I can say with authority that yes, we are all fucked. Not only will our oceans be lifeless but in (the majority of) areas of the ocean, pieces of plastic out number plankton 8 to 1.

This isn't just one of those problems that go on in our world, like the clubbing of baby seals where its out there but doesn't exactly effect us. Or other issues that we can't really do much about anyway.

Its fucked up, the whole thing.

#13 2009-10-25 22:52:48

kim wrote:

This is my area of specialty (as it is my career as well as the reason why I started my NP) and I can say with authority that yes, we are all fucked. Not only will our oceans be lifeless but in (the majority of) areas of the ocean, pieces of plastic out number plankton 8 to 1.

This isn't just one of those problems that go on in our world, like the clubbing of baby seals where its out there but doesn't exactly effect us. Or other issues that we can't really do much about anyway.

Its fucked up, the whole thing.

Hey....Darwin proved it all out. We will be truly fucked when the currently evolving plastic feeders are deprived of their food source by our green initiatives....

Board footer

cruelery.com