#1 2010-11-30 11:36:18

The good news? Doesn't matter anymore whether Assange is discredited or topped. Dozens more will rush in where feckless angels fear to tread.

http://blogs.forbes.com/andygreenberg/2 … e-secrets/

#2 2010-11-30 12:02:27

Haul it all out into the open!

#3 2010-11-30 13:03:25

Our masters will use this as an excuse to censor the net.  Expect to have to do your recreational surfing via proxy and to have many sites hosted in places like Tonga.

#4 2010-11-30 13:04:01

He's a douchebag who is obviously a Fight Club fan for all the wrong reasons.

#5 2010-11-30 13:04:51

Taint wrote:

Haul it all out into the open!

Yes!!  Can't hurt anyone, except maybe this guys family; they are now dead - you can fucking bank on it.

#6 2010-11-30 13:20:38

Don't get it, Em? There are no noncombatants.

It's a race to oblivion for all of us. Enjoy the ride.

#8 2010-11-30 17:43:29

The potential for global openness and scrutiny that I've seen in the WWW (and often dreamed about, I admit) is finally creeping into actual reality.

This is the tradeoff for our old-fashioned sense of "personal privacy."  I'm not saying that's a grand thing, or that I welcome losing my "privacy" (or that I won't miss it a lot) but we were gonna lose ours anyway, and now at last the bigass institutions--the governments, and yes by God the motherfucking megacorporations--are starting to lose theirs too.

For sure, the Powers That Be are going to try to suppress the Internet.  I look forward to watching that farce play out.

'Cause you can't stop the signal, Mal.

#9 2010-11-30 19:39:20

Espionage has always been a way of life for governments, the military and for large corporations. 
Some of the realities:
1.  It's up to the institutions to keep their secrets safe.
2.  Most secrets shouldn't be secret but they are.
2.  There are no shortages of traitors and spies.
3.  If you get caught as a traitor or a spy, the institution has every right to kill you.
4.  This goes for anyone passing on those secrets, like Wikileaks.

So, although I believe most of the secrets Wikileaks will be publishing deserve to be in the public domain, I would weep no tears for the fuckers who betrayed an oath of secrecy nor those who benefit from the publishing of the secrets should the wrath of gawd befall them.

#11 2010-11-30 20:31:34

George Orr wrote:

The potential for global openness and scrutiny that I've seen in the WWW (and often dreamed about, I admit) is finally creeping into actual reality.

This is the tradeoff for our old-fashioned sense of "personal privacy." 
For sure, the Powers That Be are going to try to suppress the Internet.  I look forward to watching that farce play out.

'Cause you can't stop the signal, Mal.

Personal Privacy is a modern construct that was always destined to be short lived; historically, whether in village or tribe everyone knew everyone's business.

Openness is another such modern construct, it's a silly concept which is destined to wind up on the dung heap of history; if nothing else this leak will prove to be the catalyst.  De-compartmentalizing state secrets was a stupid idea to begin with.

Finally, nobody ever wants to stop the signal - it's far more effective to distort it.

#12 2010-11-30 20:44:00

The very interesting fact is that the US Government has the legal and technical ability to shut down his web site; and yet they do not.  Why?

#13 2010-11-30 21:01:41

Emmeran wrote:

The very interesting fact is that the US Government has the legal and technical ability to shut down his web site; and yet they do not.  Why?

Because it's a waste of time.  He's sending the stuff to nice helpful folks like the NY Times, so why bother shutting down his site?

#14 2010-11-30 21:04:47

Emmeran wrote:

They could nuke Iran, and Venezuela too, but for the fall out.

The NYTimes and every other major media outlet on the planet is as complicit as Assange.

#15 2010-11-30 21:16:05

My take, after going through a trough of the data, is that it paints us in a much better light than we appeared before the leaks were published.  Outside of a (relative) few examples, most of the cables show us being nice to the world and working hard for peace, order and justice.

Besides, we all knew Clinton was an arrogant, condescending bitch.

Last edited by Emmeran (2010-11-30 21:16:30)

#16 2010-11-30 21:51:51

I have no problem with freedom of speech.  It's cool what Wikileaks is doing.

However, with freedom comes responsibility.  So when share prices tumble because Wikileaks spat out some shit, the WL minions should be held responsible.  Wikileaks divulges some government docs and someone dies, WL gets prosecuted for their responsibility in the affair.

Freedom of speech isn't the same as being an irresponsible dick.  Wikileaks doesn't seem to understand that.  Government is for being an irresponsible dick.

#17 2010-11-30 22:01:51

Not to mention that Assange and the pathetic gay soldier may have just set off the Second Korean War

and we have yet to see what Iran will do now that they have proof the entire region is plotting against them.

#18 2010-11-30 22:21:33

Emmeran wrote:

Not to mention that Assange and the pathetic gay soldier may have just set off the Second Korean War

Aw, Em honey, this is just how N. Korea puts its hand out for money.  They've been doing this for at least 20 years.

and we have yet to see what Iran will do now that they have proof the entire region is plotting against them.

They've never been keen on having any "proof" before; but this may indeed be helpful keeping the current regime in power.

#19 2010-11-30 22:49:32

George Orr wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

Aw, Em honey, this is just how N. Korea puts its hand out for money.  They've been doing this for at least 20 years.

They've never been keen on having any "proof" before; but this may indeed be helpful keeping the current regime in power.

Sweety, at the end of the Super Bowl this year the press will ask the winning quarterback what he will do next; this year he will respond "Go to George Orr's World"!!

Die Bild wrote:

"And the disturbing thing is: An entity like WikiLeaks can only exist in the free world. Despots and dictators would not allow it. But at the same time, the organization is defying the rules that allow it to exist. That is anarchy."

Truth shall set you free

We all know how well that transparency shit worked out for Anne Franke don't we.

Last edited by Emmeran (2010-11-30 22:52:12)

#20 2010-11-30 22:56:59

Emmeran wrote:

We all know how well that transparency shit worked out for Anne Franke don't we.

Oh please! We all know the diary was written with a ball point pen that was invented five years after the purported authoress of this weepy tale died in a pool of her own diarrhea.

#21 2010-11-30 23:07:16

fnord wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

Oh please! We all know the diary was written with a ball point pen that was invented five years after the purported authoress of this weepy tale died in a pool of her own diarrhea.

Regardless, the point is clear.  Information bears with it distinct responsibility - and while I view most of these exposures as positive, I'm quite certain there will be rivers of blood because of this.

Besides, this Assange dude is one creepy fella - his ego is to the point of revolting.

#22 2010-11-30 23:11:51

choad wrote:

The NYTimes and every other major media outlet on the planet is as complicit as Assange.

Choad, you know that in a time of war the Fed had the explicit right to censor the media; they could turn it off with out a wimper being heard.  I think that us and our special Allies are benefiting.  Mubarak, Merkel, Cameron: they all receive local political boosts from these leaks.

#23 2010-12-01 01:46:35

Emmeran wrote:

choad wrote:

Choad, you know that in a time of war the Fed had the explicit right to censor the media; they could turn it off with out a wimper being heard.

Then DARPA had to go create a global network and royally fuck itself.

Sweet, huh?

Daniel Ellsberg, the defense analyst who leaked the Pentagon Papers in 1971, derided American officials who said the leaked diplomatic cables put lives at risk.

Speaking to the BBC on Tuesday, Ellsberg said:

"That's a script that they roll out, every administration rolls out, every time there's a leak of any sort. The best justification for secrecy that they can find is that lives are at stake. Actually, lives are at stake as a result of silence and lies, which a lot of these leaks reveal. Certainly the same charges were made about the Pentagon Papers and turned out to be quite invalid over the years, the same things that Hillary Clinton is saying now about WikiLeaks. As a matter of fact."

Last edited by choad (2010-12-01 01:48:53)

#24 2010-12-01 07:29:52

choad wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

choad wrote:

Choad, you know that in a time of war the Fed had the explicit right to censor the media; they could turn it off with out a wimper being heard.

Sweet, huh?

But it's not a global network in the end; it's an American network which we still hold the key to.  If nothing else they can claim copy-write infringement.  They still control the root.

#25 2010-12-01 11:18:52

Emmeran wrote:

choad wrote:

Sweet, huh?

But it's not a global network in the end; it's an American network which we still hold the key to.  If nothing else they can claim copy-write infringement.  They still control the root.

And the first time the US [publicly] asserts that control is also the last. Nation states, an innovation of the last hundred years, are notoriously fickle about a concept called Sovereignty. We'd get our blow back, pay back assess kicked.

Jon Stewart to Julian Assange: "Stop the Drama!"

Last edited by choad (2010-12-01 11:23:46)

#26 2010-12-01 12:30:02

Em wrote:

He has pissed off too many powerful people.  Whether it's espionage, rape, or copyright infringement, he will go down for a crime one way or the other.  Think OJ Simpson and Al Capone.

#28 2010-12-01 12:55:47

Emmeran wrote:

Game over.

When the Russkies come for him he can stand on his first amendment rights.  (While the FSB agents loop the suicide rope around his neck.)

#31 2010-12-01 17:13:30

Is it just because this guy is so high profile that he hasn't wound up missing or found with a bullet in his brain?  Are Cold War-type assassinations that passe?

#32 2010-12-01 18:57:31

Scotty wrote:

Is it just because this guy is so high profile that he hasn't wound up missing or found with a bullet in his brain?  Are Cold War-type assassinations that passe?

He doesn't have long to live.  It's possible the decision about how to terminate him hasn't been made yet.  Should it be an “accident”, should he be killed in prison in a staged inmate dispute, or should it be an outright public execution?  As the Wicked Witch Of The West would say: "These things must be done delicately."

#33 2010-12-01 19:17:22

Let the sunshine in.......

#34 2010-12-01 20:30:08

fnord wrote:

Scotty wrote:

He doesn't have long to live.  It's possible the decision about how to terminate him hasn't been made yet.  Should it be an “accident”, should he be killed in prison in a staged inmate dispute, or should it be an outright public execution?  As the Wicked Witch Of The West would say: "These things must be done delicately."

I'd like it to go down like this.

#35 2010-12-01 23:29:18

fnord wrote:

Scotty wrote:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/0 … ance-file/

#36 2010-12-02 11:31:22

Emmeran wrote:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/07/wikileaks-insurance-file/

When I read about that I was truly impressed with their forethought. It's like a real-life Le Carre' novel. I'm sure that the private key is sitting in an envelope in some lawyers safe waiting until Assange fails to check in from time to time.

#37 2010-12-03 15:05:29

Turning up the heat

The man who believes nothing should be secret sure is keeping a lot of his own - fucking hypocrite

#38 2010-12-03 16:42:10

Emmeran wrote:

The man who believes nothing should be secret sure is keeping a lot of his own - fucking hypocrite

Ever faced a viable death threat, Em?

Remarkable, really, remaining reasonably sane after 4 years in a sniper scope.

Assange has a martyr's deathwish but that doesn't explain your animus. Why the hate?

#39 2010-12-03 17:40:07

Tall Paul wrote:

Let the sunshine in.......

...through a little hole in his forehead about .45 inches in diameter.

#40 2010-12-03 18:26:41

Although I too enjoy having access to the information and feel that little of it should be classified, this is not a case of someone publishing a relatively discrete set of classified documents in order to reveal corruption or dishonesty which one could justify.  This is appears to be more of an indiscriminate dump (see the flies gather).  If it Aldrich Ames or Robert Hanssen had passed these documents along, there is no doubt how the public would view it.  And this is the view of a civil libertarian.

Last edited by Fled (2010-12-03 18:29:15)

#41 2010-12-03 18:41:41

Fled wrote:

Although I too enjoy having access to the information and feel that little of it should be classified, this is not a case of someone publishing a relatively discrete set of classified documents in order to reveal corruption or dishonesty which one could justify.  This is appears to be more of an indiscriminate dump (see the flies gather).  If it Aldrich Ames or Robert Hanssen had passed these documents along, there is no doubt how the public would view it.  And this is the view of a civil libertarian.

There is hope for you Fled.

#44 2010-12-03 19:32:28

choad wrote:

Ever faced a viable death threat, Em?

Remarkable, really, remaining reasonably sane after 4 years in a sniper scope.

Assange has a martyr's deathwish but that doesn't explain your animus. Why the hate?

Firstly:  You can't really believe no one knows where he's at.

Secondly: I was referring to his secret source (whom is already in custody and will be so for life)

But regardless, unlike the media which is cleansing the docs of names and places, he dumped them with plenty of info on informants and supporters in a war zone. People who will die for Assanges religious fervor.

Frankly, he's a hypocrite and a media whore who believes everyones secret's should be exposed; except his of course.

#45 2010-12-03 19:46:43

Emmeran wrote:

Right, in Osama's cave, next door to Cheney's undisclosed location.

#46 2010-12-03 19:46:44

George Orr wrote:

I've been on the fence about Assange for months, and it's bothered me that I couldn't make up my mind.

In recent days I'm leaning further toward liking what he's doing.

This is his claim, but that claim has zero factual basis, he can't possibly know what chains of events have or will occur from his little publicity play.  He's been in hiding and I can assure you it's not in Iraq or Afganistan.

We know three facts:

1.  He could not possibly have read all of the documents himself - even if he did take Evelyn Wood's speed reading course.

2.  He's been on the dodge and really has no idea what is happening every where in the world because of what he  did, nor does he care.

3.  Assange is anti-American, always has been; which is why Wikileaks should actually be called Wiki-US-leaks.  It's a targeted hack at us by a maniac.

I'm all in favor of a good expose'; mis-dealings and transgressions should be exposed, investigative reporting makes the world a better place. This however is not what Assange and Bradley did.  Assange wanted to hurt the US and didn't care who else got hurt along the way.

#47 2010-12-03 19:47:52

choad wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

Right, in Osama's cave, next door to Cheney's undisclosed location.

bin Laden's dead, has been for years; they just roll him at to shake at us whenever they feel it would be helpful.

#48 2010-12-03 20:16:52

choad wrote:

Sorry, I just realized I didn't answer your question.

The hate is because when I look at the pictures of him I see Sarah Palin; when he speaks it's with the same attitude as Palin.  I am definitely not a Palinite.

and honestly, since I found out he was a deadbeat dad; nothing will ever change my opinion of him and I will always view his actions in a negative light.

Last edited by Emmeran (2010-12-03 20:48:59)

#50 2010-12-04 06:51:04

"sex by surprise," which he said involves a fine of 5,000 kronor or about $715.

"We don't even know what 'sex by surprise' even means, and they haven't told us," Stephens said...

"Whatever 'sex by surprise' is, it's only a offense in Sweden -- not in the U.K. or the U.S. or even Ibiza," Stephens said. "I feel as if I'm in a surreal Swedish movie being threatened by bizarre trolls. The prosecutor has not asked to see Julian, never asked to interview him, and he hasn't been charged with anything. He's been told he's wanted for questioning, but he doesn't know the nature of the allegations against him."

I would definitely pay $715 right now for a little surprise sex. Where is RT when we need her input on this subject?

Board footer

cruelery.com