#101 2010-12-12 12:26:28

http://asset.soup.io/asset/1324/2716_3e20.jpeg

#102 2010-12-12 13:59:19

I just have to say....  the Russians want Assange to get the Nobel Peace Prize, with a sizable chunk of the globe aligned with that sentiment.

Last edited by Dmtdust (2010-12-12 14:00:22)

#103 2010-12-12 14:31:02

Emmeran wrote:

My point remains that some of this information is serious and sensitive and should be handled with respect to the possible events which could result.

Absolutely a fair point.  Assange either doesn't give a rat's ass what harm flows from his publication, or else he really wants that harm to occur.  He'll get his 15 minutes of infamy and others will pay the price.

#104 2010-12-12 16:27:01

Everytime I see you guys get your knickers in a twist over Wikileaks something like this pops up:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/1 … google_cnn

If you were actually paying attention to it all, some 1000 cables have been released, and none of them are of any real import.

Get over it, and move along as it is getting embarrassing reading the tripe you are putting out.

#105 2010-12-12 17:01:55

Dmtdust wrote:

Everytime I see you guys get your knickers in a twist over Wikileaks something like this pops up:

https://cruelery.com/sidepic/crapton.jpg

Easily tops any previous deprivation North Korea's had to endure. Merciful Layla.

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#106 2010-12-12 17:14:01

choad wrote:

https://cruelery.com/sidepic/crapton.jpg

Easily tops any previous deprivation North Korea's had to endure. Merciful Layla.

Abso-fucking-lutely.  Fuck Clapton.

Last edited by MSG Tripps (2010-12-12 17:15:50)

#108 2010-12-12 17:50:54

Dmtdust wrote:

If you were actually paying attention to it all, some 1000 cables have been released, and none of them are of any real import.

Get over it, and move along as it is getting embarrassing reading the tripe you are putting out.

With all of the Assange ball-washing you guys and your tripe are doing you kind of have to expect the moderates and right-wingers to get sick of it

#109 2010-12-12 17:51:46

Fled wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

My point remains that some of this information is serious and sensitive and should be handled with respect to the possible events which could result.

Absolutely a fair point.  Assange either doesn't give a rat's ass what harm flows from his publication, or else he really wants that harm to occur.  He'll get his 15 minutes of infamy and others will pay the price.

Yes we certainly don't need Assange to cause us harm.  We are quite able, all by ourselves, of causing the requisite amount of harm necessary during pursuit of our little incursions.  Thank you very much.

#110 2010-12-12 18:11:30

Thanx, Dhal. That blew the stink out.

#111 2010-12-12 18:19:24

MSG Tripps wrote:

Gee Thanks Tripps, last thing we needed was more stink in here.

#112 2010-12-12 19:57:43

Emmeran wrote:

With all of the Assange ball-washing you guys and your tripe are doing you kind of have to expect the moderates and right-wingers to get sick of it

Ooooooouuuuuuuue  Petulant are we?  Your boat still doesn't float.  I expect more deep thoughts delivered in hyper emotional subtext...again and again.

#113 2010-12-12 20:01:36

Emmeran wrote:

Gee Thanks Tripps, last thing we needed was more stink in here.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance;
baffle them with bullshit.

#114 2010-12-12 20:45:11

FOIA... oh yes, in SPADES.  Keep swallowing that crap.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/12/f … misconduct

#115 2010-12-12 22:05:06

Dmtdust wrote:

FOIA... oh yes, in SPADES.  Keep swallowing that crap.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/12/f … misconduct

Yup . . . it's a virtual black out, fuckin' Federalist Nazi's

Through a careful comparison of thousands of pages of documents we received from this FOIA request

I'm so glad to hear that inconsistencies are now EVIL!   Get over your fear of government, it really doesn't become you.

#116 2010-12-12 22:52:11

rattle rattle.

Last edited by Dmtdust (2010-12-12 22:53:32)

#117 2010-12-13 03:27:08

Wow, Emmeran, from your reaction to Assange one would think he's an ex-boyfriend of your daughter's or something like that.

The guy who supplied Assange with the documents is the criminal.  Whoever allowed that guy access to the info is incompetent.  From the way you wrap yourself in the flag and try to defend indefensible stupidity and bumbling ham-handedness as a bold stand against terrorism I would think you're gunning for a job at the TSA.  Are you?

#118 2010-12-13 22:31:41

Is Treason a Civic Duty?

Is the state permitted to keep secrets from its citizens? Are citizens permitted to disclose such secrets?

The answer to both questions is very simple: Yes.

Naturally the government is permitted to have secrets. It is part of the prudent behavior of every civil servant to prepare decisions in confidence, so as to prevent unauthorized individuals from thwarting the desired outcome in advance

Just as it is legitimate for the state to keep information secret, it is legitimate for the press to publish information it has succeeded in obtaining from the belly of the state.

Enjoy

#119 2010-12-13 23:15:12

Emmeran wrote:

I'm so glad to hear that inconsistencies are now EVIL!   Get over your fear of government, it really doesn't become you.

You don't have to fear them to hate them.....

"To be GOVERNED is to be watched, inspected, spied upon, directed, law-driven, numbered, regulated, enrolled, indoctrinated, preached at, controlled, checked, estimated, valued, censured, commanded, by creatures who have neither the right nor the wisdom nor the virtue to do so. To be GOVERNED is to be at every operation, at every transaction noted, registered, counted, taxed, stamped, measured, numbered, assessed, licensed, authorized, admonished, prevented, forbidden, reformed, corrected, punished. It is, under pretext of public utility, and in the name of the general interest, to be place[d] under contribution, drilled, fleeced, exploited, monopolized, extorted from, squeezed, hoaxed, robbed; then, at the slightest resistance, the first word of complaint, to be repressed, fined, vilified, harassed, hunted down, abused, clubbed, disarmed, bound, choked, imprisoned, judged, condemned, shot, deported, sacrificed, sold, betrayed; and to crown all, mocked, ridiculed, derided, outraged, dishonored. That is government; that is its justice; that is its morality."

—P.-J. Proudhon

Last edited by Dirckman (2010-12-13 23:16:30)

#120 2010-12-13 23:49:21

The State is a condition, a certain relationship between human beings, a mode of human behavior; we destroy it by contracting other relationships, by behaving differently."  - Gustav Landauer

#121 2010-12-14 00:08:54

Dmtdust wrote:

The State is a condition, a certain relationship between human beings, a mode of human behavior; we destroy it by contracting other relationships, by behaving differently."  - Gustav Landauer

Excellent quote.  In a recent article the author, a voluntaryist, recommends that we ask the statists in our life if they would promote violence against us or our property to achieve something that is important to them.  If they say "No" then you inform them what voting and the state really are.  If they say "Yes" then they are people who we obviously do not have a good relationship with and we need to reject them and get them out of our life.

#122 2010-12-14 08:06:19

I used to read and admire both Bakunin and Landauer, although I preferred Bakunin.  That was probably because Bakunin was more reckless and less dedicated to organized theory and argument.  Landauer always seemed to assume that human nature was divine and ultimately would yield a utopia, which seemed contrary to experience.  At the time, I also balked at Landauer's arguments that the individual is subordinate to the collective.  At this point, I really can't make a lot of sense of what I was thinking, except that I had an aversion to authority.

Last edited by Fled (2010-12-14 08:59:00)

#123 2010-12-14 08:22:11

except that I had an aversion to authority

Don't feel bad, this is a symptom of a lifetime of security; this symptom is common in wealthy and secure countries and almost non-existant in places where the bullet hits the bone.

#125 2010-12-19 14:44:49

#127 2010-12-20 01:53:52

a software program invented 15 years ago by the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory.

Welcome to yesterday..... wake up and smell the coffee; and let's not go into the reality that this bizarro really is.

#128 2010-12-20 10:06:41

I hate it when the sword cuts both ways

I'll spare you Assanges whining about his privacy and confidentiality, trust me - it's not pretty.

#130 2010-12-22 16:43:10

Washington Post wrote:

. . .  it's mainly known by its all-too-apt acronym: W.T.F.

Damn it.  No-Thing pisses me off more than a bureaucracy feigning self-a-wareness.

#131 2010-12-22 16:45:44

Decadence wrote:

Washington Post wrote:

. . .  it's mainly known by its all-too-apt acronym: W.T.F.

Damn it.  No-Thing pisses me off more than a bureaucracy feigning self-a-wareness.

Don't worry: it's a totally ironic self-awareness that easily translates into indifference.

#132 2010-12-23 08:22:16

Uh oh.

It looks like the first wikileaks  casualty has now happened.

#133 2011-01-02 11:31:34

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/01/ … tml?hpt=C2

Governments require monitoring, but exposures such as those by WikiLeaks and similar outlets may produce unintended consequences. One result may be that fewer records are kept of diplomatic activities, thus curtailing, rather than advancing, transparency and openness

This trend I've witnessed first hand; in light of SEC document retention rules topics which once would have created a huge paper trail are now only discussed verbally or with hand written notes which are collected and shredded after the meeting.  Humans are ingenious creatures and will find a way to maintain their confidentiality.

#134 2011-01-06 14:02:08

https://cruelery.com/img/anonoleaks.jpg

#135 2011-01-06 19:30:10

Emmeran wrote:

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/01/01/skinner.wikileaks.history/index.html?hpt=C2

Governments require monitoring, but exposures such as those by WikiLeaks and similar outlets may produce unintended consequences. One result may be that fewer records are kept of diplomatic activities, thus curtailing, rather than advancing, transparency and openness

This trend I've witnessed first hand; in light of SEC document retention rules topics which once would have created a huge paper trail are now only discussed verbally or with hand written notes which are collected and shredded after the meeting.  Humans are ingenious creatures and will find a way to maintain their confidentiality.

That's all to the good, maybe the cheating bastards will screw up and get caught!

#136 2011-01-07 02:17:47

Not to worry.  We'll screen the proles and ferret out the insider threats:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12117113

#137 2011-01-07 16:21:57

Emmeran wrote:

SEC document retention rules topics which once would have created a huge paper trail are now only discussed verbally or with hand written notes which are collected and shredded after the meeting.  Humans are ingenious creatures and will find a way to maintain their confidentiality.

"Don't write if you can talk;
don't talk if you can nod;
don't nod if you can wink."

This ancient chestnut, old when I was new, began here. Chicago stole it. Go looking for this quote on the web, as I did just now, it's got wikileaks written all over it.

#138 2011-01-08 00:18:38

thefriendsofeddiedoyle wrote:

Not to worry.  We'll screen the proles and ferret out the insider threats:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12117113

What would insiders have to be disgruntled about?

#139 2011-01-08 07:18:14

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5288/5267815533_b4400591d1_o.jpg

#140 2011-01-15 17:44:01

http://www.sofiaecho.com/shimg/zx500y290_1016332.jpg

#142 2011-01-15 18:44:22

MSG Tripps wrote:

Bulgaria?

Yep.

#145 2011-01-26 19:16:43

This is a prime example of what I've observed all across the "mainstream media"--a desire to cast Assange and Wikileaks in the most negative possible light. 
From Gawker:

But there's something unseemly about Keller attacking him so openly and gleefully. This is the man, for better or worse, whose effort and innovation made possible the little e-book Keller is hawking. He had accomplished reporting feats—in terms of sheer breadth and volume—that no one at the Times ever had, or ever will, match. He had something that the Times desperately wanted, and shared it with them, for free. The fact that he's also an asshole doesn't mean Keller ought to go on braying about it

They know, though they will never admit, that Wikileaks is doing what they should have been doing (and, once upon a time, would have done much better) for lo these many, many years.  But they've all traded journalism for blurbing and investigation for transcribing press releases. 

The jealousy is so thick and so deep it's a wonder they're not drowning in it.

#146 2011-01-26 19:23:15

thank you George, nice assessment.

#147 2011-01-26 19:53:09

George Orr wrote:

This is a prime example of what I've observed all across the "mainstream media"--a desire to cast Assange and Wikileaks in the most negative possible light. 
From Gawker:

But there's something unseemly about Keller attacking him so openly and gleefully. This is the man, for better or worse, whose effort and innovation made possible the little e-book Keller is hawking. He had accomplished reporting feats—in terms of sheer breadth and volume—that no one at the Times ever had, or ever will, match. He had something that the Times desperately wanted, and shared it with them, for free. The fact that he's also an asshole doesn't mean Keller ought to go on braying about it

They know, though they will never admit, that Wikileaks is doing what they should have been doing (and, once upon a time, would have done much better) for lo these many, many years.  But they've all traded journalism for blurbing and investigation for transcribing press releases. 

Good point

#148 2011-01-26 21:44:46

George Orr wrote:

At least the uproar won't go away any time soon.

Last edited by choad (2011-01-26 21:50:21)

#149 2011-01-26 22:36:54

...this is likely to present serious obstacles to US-based criminal proceedings against Assange...

I believe that Assange has deliberately presented himself as the "personification" of Wikileaks--the focus, and therefore the target for its detractors. 

He may be a flake but he's very, very smart--and, at least in his own mind, quite brave.  When you hear "Wikileaks" you automatically think of Assange.  As long as people are following/attacking/trying to discredit the mysterious and curiously photogenic Aussie, the rest of the organization is as obscure--and apparently as busy--as ever.

On the other hand, if the powers-that-be believed that they could eliminate this irritant by eliminating Julian Assange, he'd have been dead long ago.  And, as the face of Wikileaks, if he's sullied badly enough in public perception Wikileaks will be sullied as well.

#150 2011-01-26 23:24:59

George Orr wrote:

....the mysterious and curiously photogenic Aussie.....

I know I claimed to be Julian Assange in another post, but I'm not really. And I don't know if I'm that mysterious

Board footer

cruelery.com