#2 2011-01-25 23:10:05

That's how I feel on the night of November 2nd. Then I wake up in the morning on the third and realize that there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

On Thursday afternoon, there are dozens of young men with short beards and sunglasses standing on the boulevard. "God has done all of this," one says, before going on to advocate a religious government. Another one is arguing with a young woman wearing makeup. She says she is afraid of these people, that she's anxious about the possibility of the Islamists becoming a major political force.

Aaaand, like that, it's over.

#3 2011-01-28 20:00:40

and Cairo ignites

Aside from the obvious national self interest of ours to keep the Muslim Brotherhood from imposing Sarhia Law; how do the extremists on here fall out?

Should we support Mubarak as he strategically contains the Islamo-republic expansion or do we clamor for a democratic vote which may well bring about an Islamic Theocracy?

Furthermore this is not an Arabic state, these are Egyptians - the same rules do not apply.

#4 2011-01-28 21:00:41

Fuck Mubarak.  Amerikan Sock Puppet.  Side with the demonstrators, before Biden sticks his foot in his mouth again.  If we side with the demonstrators, and do the correct thing for a fucking change, we could actually help an emerging Democratic or something similar Gov't to emerge. 

Why does the US always back the fucking Trolls.

#5 2011-01-28 21:06:21

As far as the Islamic Brotherhood goes, I'm not all that worried. Any group that thinks they can become popular by bombing the populace has some serious mental and spiritual deficiencies to try to compensate for. Look what happened when PNAC tried it.

Last edited by Tall Paul (2011-01-28 22:03:38)

#6 2011-01-28 21:07:42

Dmtdust wrote:

Fuck Mubarak.  Amerikan Sock Puppet.  Side with the demonstrators, before Biden sticks his foot in his mouth again.  If we side with the demonstrators, and do the correct thing for a fucking change, we could actually help an emerging Democratic or something similar Gov't to emerge. 

Why does the US always back the fucking Trolls.

I'm with Dust.  I'm not well-versed in the history of 20th-Century Egypt, but I have the impression that Mubarak is another Marcos/Shah/Saddam, a despot our country has helped keep in power because he's "friendly" to our interests.  How many more lessons of that type are we going to need before we learn that this foreign policy model always blows up in our faces?

Of course, decades of American meddling may have polluted the place beyond redemption, and we might actually wind up with a hardline Sharia government in Egypt; but I doubt it.  If we let nature take its course now, the place might actually become a true democracy.

Fingers crossed that the current administration will be too busy with its mammoth agenda to add another spinning plate to the show, and will keep their meddling hands out of Egypt.

P.S.  Best topic title in a long time.

Last edited by George Orr (2011-01-28 21:08:50)

#7 2011-01-28 21:27:01

I think the US should grab the moral high ground, if for nothing more than to have some credibility with whatever government shakes out of this mess, and mess it will be.  We don't need another Iran.

The ramifications go beyond an Islamic government.  We've had 2 hot wars in that desert since '67, and nearby oil is at risk.

#8 2011-01-28 21:36:58

Our 82 year old troll Mubarak needs to face the obvious; it's time to get on a plane with as much money, gold, and other assets as he can grab on the way out.  The South of France is a lovely place to spend your final years in exile, especially if you have hundreds of millions in stolen assets.

Our policy of supporting Middle Eastern trolls that agree to do Israel's bidding is blowing up in our face.  All that remains to be seen is whether our current crop of trolls will be replaced by military dictatorships or mullahs.  The real danger in all of this is Israel deciding to use the Sampson Option.  If invaded, Israel will launch all of its nukes, including the ones aimed at Europe.  It's known they intend to take out Europe (and possibly get in a few strikes at us from their submarines) if it looks like they're about to go under.

#9 2011-01-28 22:07:52

To be honest, I'm an isolationist; I've always felt the America's inheritant strength was gained by avoiding involvement.  But what isolationist truly means is now up in the air - do we accept all refugee's believing it will increase our overall strength - or does that fact that half of the worlds population want's to join our ranks and the cold hard reality that we cannot absorb 3 billion poor people dampen that belief?

It appears that the Muffin Man does require payment after all, and us Amerikan's need to either put up or shut up.

Last edited by Emmeran (2011-01-28 22:09:59)

#10 2011-01-28 23:19:31

fnord wrote:

If invaded, Israel will launch all of its nukes, including the ones aimed at Europe.  It's known they intend to take out Europe (and possibly get in a few strikes at us from their submarines) if it looks like they're about to go under.

I'm sure your sources are impeccable. Moving on.

Emmeran wrote:

To be honest, I'm an isolationist; I've always felt the America's inheritant strength was gained by avoiding involvement.  But what isolationist truly means is now up in the air - do we accept all refugee's believing it will increase our overall strength - or does that fact that half of the worlds population want's to join our ranks and the cold hard reality that we cannot absorb 3 billion poor people dampen that belief?

You're an isolationist as long as we're over there and they're not over here.  Personally, I'd like to leave them over there and stay over here, but then I wouldn't be enjoying this first world lifestyle

#11 2011-01-28 23:38:10

opsec wrote:

You're an isolationist as long as we're over there and they're not over here.

That's where you are selectively forgetful; I disparaged Bush for putting our boys in harms way without cause and I won't pause to deride your silly ass for the same sentiment.  Troll someone with a failing memory bitch-eyes, mine works just fine.

#12 2011-01-28 23:41:55

The moral position is clear: Either continue to prop up middle-eastern thugs, which was such a success in Iran, or walk our Democracy talk. On the other hand, we could cold-shoulder our proven allies like Ho Chi Minh, which has never failed to produce results. Stiff-arming reformers who have deposed our thug-puppets and who have genuinely asked for our help could potentially work as well as it did with Fidel Castro.

Now that the adults (as they call themselves) are back in charge in the House, maybe we should leave it to them to sort out this tangled knotty problem after they've pulled their collective thumb out finished their list of symbolic and futile gestures.

#13 2011-01-29 00:03:28

Emmeran wrote:

opsec wrote:

That's where you are selectively forgetful; I disparaged Bush for putting our boys in harms way without cause and I won't pause to deride your silly ass for the same sentiment.  Troll someone with a failing memory bitch-eyes, mine works just fine.

I wasn't trying to troll you, nor was it meant to paint you a warmonger.   "Isolationist" is normally used to describe foreign policy, and your Glenn Beckingscribing it into an immigration issue causes a bit of cognitive dissonance.

Edit: Extra "n" on the Glen.

Last edited by opsec (2011-01-29 00:08:14)

#15 2011-01-29 00:17:07

opsec wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

opsec wrote:

I wasn't trying to troll you, nor was it meant to paint you a warmonger.   "Isolationist" is normally used to describe foreign policy, and your Glen Beckingscribing it into an immigration issue causes a bit of cognitive dissonance.

That's the problem with language today.  It's become so muddled, defined, then redefined that we are no longer able to properly express an idea without confusion.  I think a revamping of the English language is in order, at this point it's become Orwellian, and the slave are attacking one another over it.

#16 2011-01-29 00:30:13

Dirckman wrote:

That's the problem with language today.  It's become so muddled, defined, then redefined that we are no longer able to properly express an idea without confusion.  I think a revamping of the English language is in order, at this point it's become Orwellian, and the slave are attacking one another over it.

Secret codes and dog-whistles tend to do that over time. Newt Gingrich and Rodger Ailes are the two assholes who started the modern use of such disinformation.

Courtesy of Dmtdust:
http://cheezcomixed.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/da037a35-ea7a-4ee8-acba-a7f43eb49a51.jpg

Last edited by Tall Paul (2011-01-29 00:39:31)

#17 2011-01-29 00:43:44

Tall Paul wrote:

Newt Gingrich and Rodger Ailes are the two assholes who started the modern use of such disinformation.

Oh yes, they rediscovered the ancient form using semiotics to lie to and control the populace.   This technique had long been lost to politicians, but they somehow came in possession of an ancient scroll from fabled Nixon era....

pppfffftt.

#18 2011-01-29 00:45:24

George Orr wrote:

I'm not well-versed in the history of 20th-Century Egypt, but I have the impression that Mubarak is another Marcos/Shah/Saddam, a despot our country has helped keep in power because he's "friendly" to our interests.

Close enough. The US occupation of Iraq in 2003 was fundamentally a replay of the Britain's 1956 regime change misadventure in Egypt. Dunno where you'd find it but you get a chance, watch the BBC documentary, "The Other Side of Suez".

#19 2011-01-29 01:03:30

choad wrote:

George Orr wrote:

I'm not well-versed in the history of 20th-Century Egypt, but I have the impression that Mubarak is another Marcos/Shah/Saddam, a despot our country has helped keep in power because he's "friendly" to our interests.

Close enough. The US occupation of Iraq in 2003 was fundamentally a replay of the Britain's 1956 regime change misadventure in Egypt. Dunno where you'd find it but you get a chance, watch the BBC documentary, "The Other Side of Suez".

Pretty much on the mark.  The US never learns from others mistakes, nor their own.

#20 2011-01-29 01:10:58

opsec wrote:

Tall Paul wrote:

Newt Gingrich and Rodger Ailes are the two assholes who started the modern use of such disinformation.

Oh yes, they rediscovered the ancient form using semiotics to lie to and control the populace.   This technique had long been lost to politicians, but they somehow came in possession of an ancient scroll from fabled Nixon era....

pppfffftt.

It's a bit more than that, politics has always bred liars. What's happening now is an attack on information itself. By overwhelming the various media with a barrage of the good, the bad and the batshit crazy they're hoping to not only drown out legitimate news but to attack the very idea that 'The News' itself has any value at all. Now investigation and publishing (in the convenient form of Wikileaks) have been branded by some as criminal.

#21 2011-01-29 01:11:13

Dmtdust wrote:

choad wrote:

George Orr wrote:

Pretty much on the mark.  The US never learns from others mistakes, nor their own.

No!!  This time it will be different though because we'll bring them democracy!  If it doesn't work it'll be because they're ignorant to how much we're trying to help them!  Dropping a shitload of munitions on population centers always helps bring people freedom!

#22 2011-01-29 01:25:15

opsec wrote:

fnord wrote:

If invaded, Israel will launch all of its nukes, including the ones aimed at Europe.  It's known they intend to take out Europe (and possibly get in a few strikes at us from their submarines) if it looks like they're about to go under.

Ignoring the fact that Israel is a rouge terrorist state prone to psychotic actions isn’t option for world leaders.

Last edited by fnord (2011-01-29 01:25:46)

#23 2011-01-29 01:56:38

Tall Paul wrote:

It's a bit more than that, politics has always bred liars. What's happening now is an attack on information itself. By overwhelming the various media with a barrage of the good, the bad and the batshit crazy they're hoping to not only drown out legitimate news but to attack the very idea that 'The News' itself has any value at all. Now investigation and publishing (in the convenient form of Wikileaks) have been branded by some as criminal.

I don't disagree with your healthy cynicism, but I disagree this is something new.  I'd also question your phrasing of the problem given that Fox "News" is swallowed whole by so much of the US demographic.

I have reasons for not getting into the "debate", but IMO Wikileaks is the best thing that has happened to the fourth estate since Murrow.  Loose lips may sink ships, but closed minds cause genocides.

#24 2011-01-29 01:59:16

https://warehamwater.cruelery.com/img/short-spacer.gifhttps://cruelery.com/sidepic/kingtut.jpg

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#25 2011-01-29 02:08:37

fnord wrote:

opsec wrote:

fnord wrote:

Ignoring the fact that Israel is a rouge terrorist state prone to psychotic actions isn’t option for world leaders.

The above article was written by Palestinian Information Center Staff source

Edited to cite source.

Last edited by opsec (2011-01-29 02:18:40)

#27 2011-01-29 02:19:38

opsec wrote:

I don't disagree with your healthy cynicism, but I disagree this is something new.  I'd also question your phrasing of the problem given that Fox "News" is swallowed whole by so much of the US demographic.

I would say that the scale of it is new, although the scale of available information has also increased; so fair enough. As for Fux News being swallowed, I have to keep reminding myself that half the population has a below average IQ.

#28 2011-01-29 02:34:57

fnord wrote:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/101/286581059_8ffb9e71d1.jpg

#29 2011-01-29 02:38:22

I like Wikipedia, but I don't use it as an argument from authority

He has a bachelor’s degree in applied science (with an emphasis on environmental biology) was awarded by the Queensland Institute of Technology in Australia. He also holds a diploma of education from the University of Queensland (a graduate qualification necessary for Ham to begin his initial career as a science teacher in the public schools in Australia). He has been awarded two honorary doctorates: a Doctor of Divinity (1997) from Temple Baptist College in Cincinnati, Ohio and a Doctor of Literature (2004) from Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia.

As a young Earth creationist, Ham believes that the entire universe was created about 6,000 years ago and that Noah's flood occurred about 4,500 years ago. He believes that this explains how a small number of animals carried on Noah's ark could produce the biological diversity observed on Earth. Ham also believes that dinosaurs co-existed with modern humans. He supports this view primarily with biblical scripture and makes the claim that he uses the same evidence that scientists use.

Also, Jesus rode Dinosaurs and the Israelis are stupid enough to invite nuclear retaliation.  OK, to be fair Ken only believes the first thing.

#30 2011-01-29 02:59:48

I've actually seen Ken Ham in person.  I visited the Creation Museum a few years back and got a few chuckles in the process.  It was pretty sad except for the theater experience which had vibrating chairs and a mist of water to emulate the biblical flood.  The fucking place is full of Mennonites and when Ken Ham walked through the lobby they surrounded him like a bunch of groupies.  He is one ugly motherfucker, his skin is much worse than how it looks in the pictures.  Jesus Christ, but I'm drunk....................

#31 2011-01-29 03:22:18

Dirckman wrote:

Jesus Christ, but I'm drunk....................

Amen.

#33 2011-01-29 16:54:15

Dmtdust wrote:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/meast/01/29/egypt.middle.east.reaction/index.html?iref=NS1

Come on... back on subject!

CNN?!  Pfeh.

http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

Or, if you're paranoid about Homeland Security monitoring your surfing habits:
http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/29/egypt.html
or
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/

#34 2011-01-29 17:01:45

https://cruelery.com/uploads/18_tweet.jpg

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#35 2011-01-29 17:10:10

George Orr wrote:

Dmtdust wrote:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/meast/01/29/egypt.middle.east.reaction/index.html?iref=NS1

CNN?!  Pfeh.

or

Al Jazeera's coverage has been great; I haven't bothered with CNN. The NY Times has been pretty good, as well. Haaretz is worth checking out, as well.

#36 2011-01-29 18:47:14

Taint wrote:

George Orr wrote:

Dmtdust wrote:

CNN?!  Pfeh.

or

Al Jazeera's coverage has been great; I haven't bothered with CNN. The NY Times has been pretty good, as well. Haaretz is worth checking out, as well.

I just clicked on the al jazeera link, and was immediately told not to give any information to Julian Assange, at least not on camera. Spooky.....

#37 2011-01-29 19:19:57

fnord wrote:

Oh, no!  Have they gone rouge?

#38 2011-01-29 19:47:12

tojo2000 wrote:

fnord wrote:

Oh, no!  Have they gone rouge?

It's in their makeup to go rouge, leaving us red-faced.

#39 2011-01-29 19:56:00

Why can't this play itself out regardless of the media?

#40 2011-01-29 20:01:37

MSG Tripps wrote:

Why can't this play itself out regardless of the media?

Oh, it will but good media means Mubarak and who ever goes up against him are going to be held accountable. Ideally, at any rate.

#41 2011-01-29 20:09:36

Taint wrote:

Ideally, at any rate.

Perhaps I am minimizing the situation.  I am never happy with over reaction.
Hey Arkansas

#42 2011-01-30 01:29:46

#43 2011-01-30 14:48:16

Dirckman wrote:

I've actually seen Ken Ham in person.  I visited the Creation Museum a few years back and got a few chuckles in the process.  It was pretty sad except for the theater experience which had vibrating chairs and a mist of water to emulate the biblical flood.  The fucking place is full of Mennonites and when Ken Ham walked through the lobby they surrounded him like a bunch of groupies.  He is one ugly motherfucker, his skin is much worse than how it looks in the pictures.  Jesus Christ, but I'm drunk....................

Well that could be a good gig for a fugly guy stuck in the heartland. Where the groupies hot? And which are more attractive the Mennonite or the Amish girls?

#45 2011-01-30 18:17:59

Thanks for re-centering the topic.  Now it's a question of the devil you know and devil you don't; I'm betting America chooses the former, the Islamic Brotherhood is not a friend of Mr. & Mrs. Suburbia.

#46 2011-01-30 18:49:47

They could be if we through aid towards public education, health etc. instead of weapons.

#47 2011-01-30 19:57:10

Of course, decades of American meddling may have polluted the place beyond redemption....

Read Robert Fisk's excellent The Great War for Civilisation: The Conquest of the Middle East to see that, although the US and other western governments have played their parts in the Middle East, the Arab world has had a long-term natural inclination towards "strongmen" as leaders of government. Perhaps the West has encouraged that to avoid pesky democracies, but the Arab populations have to take their own share of responsibility too.

Good to see any population railing against dictatorships; and the Ayotollah in Iran must surely see how hollow his claims are given the recent unrest among his own youth popualtion.

#48 2011-01-30 20:37:01

Gray wrote:

the Arab world has had a long-term natural inclination towards "strongmen" as leaders of government.

I'm exaggerating, a little, but the fuck would anyone ever expect of a population with only one book?

Resource rich, under educated citizenry, obscene returns on investment and as easily describing Central America as it does the Philippines.

Our own general public, force fed a steady diet of box scores and sports reporting masquerading as politics, ain't much better.

#49 2011-01-30 21:47:46

choad wrote:

Gray wrote:

the Arab world has had a long-term natural inclination towards "strongmen" as leaders of government.

I'm exaggerating, a little, but the fuck would anyone ever expect of a population with only one book?

Resource rich, under educated citizenry, obscene returns on investment and as easily describing Central America as it does the Philippines.

Our own general public, force fed a steady diet of box scores and sports reporting masquerading as politics, ain't much better.

http://img2.imagesbn.com/images/14770000/14779237.JPG

#50 2011-02-01 18:37:16

square wrote:

choad wrote:

Gray wrote:

http://img2.imagesbn.com/images/14770000/14779237.JPG

Schlesinger and Fisk are all very nice, but let's hear what a REAL intellectual has to say:

Board footer

cruelery.com