#2 2007-11-28 16:48:15

Just promise me you won't edit the first word of the title, HK.

#3 2007-11-28 16:56:13

We're not smart enough yet to prove a genetic link to intelligence means there isn't one?

Here's my anecdotal evidence. One of my sisters married a [redacted] lawyer. Shit, I'd have a lot more fun with this if... Ok, anyway. My sister's new husband lost the ability to produce sperm and the sample he had frozen was insufficient to produce the desired two child household. My sister went shopping, a genetic trait passed from female to female, and found herself a rocket scientist. Really. His contribution cost her a small fortune but turns out, it was worth it.

My nephew is six now and scarey bright. Does his sister's calculus with one eye closed. You will read about this kid in coming years. He's engaging, personable and attractive; blond hair, blue eyes, athletic build. I've known most of my forebearers reaching back more than a hundred years and can say with conviction, this kid has no equal.

What am I supposed to think?

#4 2007-11-28 17:25:52

choad wrote:

We're not smart enough yet to prove a genetic link to intelligence means there isn't one?

Hey, I didn't editorialize it.  I just reported the facts.  I do think the propensity for certain traits is genetic, but it works for everything...not just intelligence.  Athletic parents are likely to produce athletic kids; musical parents are likely to produce musical kids, etc...

Here's my anecdotal evidence. One of my sisters married a [redacted] lawyer. Shit, I'd have a lot more fun with this if... Ok, anyway. My sister's new husband lost the ability to produce sperm and the sample he had frozen was insufficient to produce the desired two child household. My sister went shopping, a genetic trait passed from female to female, and found herself a rocket scientist. Really. His contribution cost her a small fortune but turns out, it was worth it.

My nephew is six now and scarey bright. Does his sister's calculus with one eye closed. You will read about this kid in coming years. He's engaging, personable and attractive; blond hair, blue eyes, athletic build. I've known most of my forebearers reaching back more than a hundred years and can say with conviction, this kid has no equal.

What am I supposed to think?

Think about all the Mensa members who have mediocre lives and hope that the kid is able to maintain balance.

#5 2007-11-28 18:14:18

I think we are looking past the fact that musical parents bring up a child in a musical household, intelligent parents raise a child in a household of discussion and intelligent thought, and athletic parents will be more likely to push a child into sports or athletics (generally speaking). Just as wife-beating runs in families......teaching by example, so too do other traits.

Using myself as an example, my father was an engineer, and my mother a teacher of mathematics. I however, was interested in the arts. Music painting, sculpture, etc. Was I given the tools to follow what I cared most about. Hell no. I was taught that the way to a successful life was through studying hard, learning everything available in the technical world, and ignoring the "other stuff".

So today I have a job that I hate, doing something I despise, but make a good living doing it. Am I happy? Not at all, but then I have become too dependent on the income to just walk away in pursuit of what I would really love to be doing.

Of course this is all generalization, and there will always be examples of people finding their love in life without a parents guidance.

#6 2007-11-28 18:20:27

Pussy....

Walk away from it.  Save yourself.  Do it.  Misery comes in those pay-packets.  Similar background, I walked away from it fairly early on.   It has been a roller coaster, but I can claim a better part of my life devoted to what wet my whistle.

Go For It.   Save Your Soul.

D

#7 2007-11-28 19:07:11

Dmtdust wrote:

Walk away from it.  Save yourself.  Do it.  Misery comes in those pay-packets.  Similar background, I walked away from it fairly early on.   It has been a roller coaster, but I can claim a better part of my life devoted to what wet my whistle.

Good points from each one of you, except... success in this world is measured in dollars and your chance of ever finding a reliable mate or any kind of creature comfort diminish, relative to your shrinking bank balance... unless you have great tits.

Yes, friends, I am living proof a big dick doesn't help.

Dusty, you are either incredibly lucky, subsist on inherited wealth or are full of shit. Which is it?

#8 2007-11-28 19:27:03

Ah....would that I could. But then Mrs Pussy and the little ones would not be happy with me. I am living the American dream, and am in debt up to my eyeballs. My debt will last into my 70's....woohoo!

Choad is correct in that life from the outside looking in is measured in dollars. From the inside looking out however, there are so many more variables. I just have to live with the cards I have dealt myself. But thanks for the advice.

#9 2007-11-28 21:06:15

Life is a bit of a roller coaster when you do your own thing.  I’m not into big houses, flashy cars, and other material status symbols.  I love to travel, read, go to classical concerts, take classes, grow exotic plants, eat well, and in general feed my head.  When I was younger it was sex, drugs, and rock-n-roll.  I may wind up living in a senior trailer park or in a room in an old people’s residence hotel, but I will smile when I look back on my life.

#10 2007-11-29 02:22:11

choad wrote:

He's engaging, personable and attractive; blond hair, blue eyes, athletic build... What am I supposed to think?

That you've been reading "The Boys from Brazil" too many times.

Intelligence, or the capacity for and effective manifestation of it, is reliant on a constellation of genetic loci, much like human sexuality (all forms of it). We have autistic savants and we have rocket scientists who don't know what day it is. We also have wily janitors and manipulative crackwhores. Since we already have enough difficulty deciding what "intelligence" is, it's probably a little premature--as you put it--to give up looking. Just ask, what would we do once we found it/them?

#11 2007-11-29 02:50:49

choad wrote:

Dusty, you are either incredibly lucky, subsist on inherited wealth or are full of shit. Which is it?

Incredibly Lucky (I married a very nice person.), and by the estimations of some, I am adequately talented, though I would say just a well (self) educated Bohemian Dilettante. I make no great shakes financially, but I have a positive effect where and when I can.  My tits are of average size, thank you.

#12 2007-11-29 21:49:53

pALEPHx wrote:

choad wrote:

He's engaging, personable and attractive; blond hair, blue eyes, athletic build... What am I supposed to think?

That you've been reading "The Boys from Brazil" too many times.

Intelligence, or the capacity for and effective manifestation of it, is reliant on a constellation of genetic loci, much like human sexuality (all forms of it). We have autistic savants and we have rocket scientists who don't know what day it is. We also have wily janitors and manipulative crackwhores. Since we already have enough difficulty deciding what "intelligence" is, it's probably a little premature--as you put it--to give up looking. Just ask, what would we do once we found it/them?

pALEPHx, every time you post, I get more and more pissed off you're gay.  You have a broad understanding of intelligence,  you're Jewish (I don't know where the Jew-boy attraction came from), and you seem to be tall.  If you have blue eyes, I might as well go kill myself now, because it would be proof that G*d hates me. 

Please tell me you have three brown stars.

#13 2007-11-29 23:25:44

pALEPHx wrote:

Since we already have enough difficulty deciding what "intelligence" is, it's probably a little premature--as you put it--to give up looking.

There's no such thing as premature. When it's time, it's time. Sorry, ancient joke. You're dead right. I scored in the moron percentile on the chiltin test. The US is the last nation on earth anyone should look to measure success. And that nephew I mentioned? He recently got himself banned for life from his favorite website for telling an annoying kid to suck his balls. He's heartbroken. Just our kind of loser, huh?

#14 2007-11-29 23:49:59

Remember - half of the population is of below average intelligence. In the last two US presidential elections, about half of the voters chose Bush.

Quod erat demonstrandum.

P.S.: My eugenics program to increase intelligence in the populace is as follows:

Teenagers are not allowed to drive cars. Instead, they are given motorcycles. And, they are not allowed to wear helmets. Many of the "C-student" kids will be killed before they can reproduce, either through their own foolishness, or by being run over by the huge numbers of substandard drivers out there. Hence, an eventual increase in overall intelligence. Moreover, the fresh young cadavers will provide a rich source of transplantable organs for us aging baby boomers, as we will need more and more replacement parts as time goes on. And, getting at least some part of the populace onto fuel efficient vehicles will reap global warming benefits, too.

#15 2007-11-30 00:04:08

sigmoid freud wrote:

Many of the "C-student" kids will be killed before they can reproduce, either through their own foolishness, or by being run over by the huge numbers of substandard drivers out there. Hence, an eventual increase in overall intelligence.

A modest proposal. Hey, it's not a hat here yet and surely there's some of our number unfamiliar with its hilarity.

#16 2007-11-30 00:43:58

asdf1971 wrote:

pALEPHx, every time you post, I get more and more pissed off you're gay. You have a broad understanding of intelligence,  you're Jewish (I don't know where the Jew-boy attraction came from), and you seem to be tall. If you have blue eyes, I might as well go kill myself now, because it would be proof that G*d hates me. 

Trust me, that post is going to piss more people off than I ever could on my own. Last I checked, I have the requisite number of "brown stars," but I must confess it's a reference I do not get, unless it's something to do with the Virgin Mary. Though I don't care to be responsible for your long walk off a short pier, yes, 198cm BR/BL. Don't make me post my license.

choad wrote:

He recently got himself banned for life from his favorite website for telling an annoying kid to suck his balls. He's heartbroken. Just our kind of loser, huh?

I prefer to think that the oft-lobbed commandments around here to suck each other's figurative sacks isn't really a sign of adulthood...just an indulgent regression. If we said it all the time, it'd lose its panache. Besides, what idiotic site bans a six year-old for life? Great policy they have for kids there. I hope their COPPA forms are up to date.

#17 2007-11-30 20:12:18

pALEPHx wrote:

asdf1971 wrote:

pALEPHx, every time you post, I get more and more pissed off you're gay. You have a broad understanding of intelligence,  you're Jewish (I don't know where the Jew-boy attraction came from), and you seem to be tall. If you have blue eyes, I might as well go kill myself now, because it would be proof that G*d hates me. 

Trust me, that post is going to piss more people off than I ever could on my own.

Well they haven't posted yet, so be sure to keep your ego in check.

Last I checked, I have the requisite number of "brown stars," but I must confess it's a reference I do not get, unless it's something to do with the Virgin Mary.

Wow, I've never heard the Virgin Mary associated with brown stars.  Please feel free to share any pertinent information.

Though I don't care to be responsible for your long walk off a short pier, yes, 198cm BR/BL. Don't make me post my license.

No need to post the license.  I'll just have to keep living, and holding on to the hope that one day I will find your straight doppelganger.  Unfortunately, there just aren't alot of Jews where I live.  Probably has something to do with the general level of intelligence here, the one that makes everybody think I'm really smart.

#18 2007-11-30 22:59:12

asdf1971 wrote:

Well they haven't posted yet, so be sure to keep your ego in check.

That's not ego. It's self-effacement.

Wow, I've never heard the Virgin Mary associated with brown stars. Please feel free to share any pertinent information.

Not pertinent. It's just a lithograph.

No need to post the license.  I'll just have to keep living, and holding on to the hope that one day I will find your straight doppelganger. Unfortunately, there just aren't alot of Jews where I live.

By definition and population, there aren't a lot of Jews where anybody lives. The suburban ghetto of my upbringing aside, you're unlikely to know who may be Jewish by you, if only because they're not blowing those horns we're supposed to have. As ethnic fetishes go, I suppose you could do worse, but you could also find something less unicorn-y. I'm sure our mothers would still like us to marry a doctor named Feinberg. Until then, you can have my brother. Him likey teh shiksas.

#19 2007-12-01 14:22:37

Nice lithograph.  If I ever decide to join SCA, that will be my coat of arms.  I'll be lady Mary of the Brown Stars.  I like it.

#20 2007-12-01 23:40:20

asdf1971 wrote:

No need to post the license.  I'll just have to keep living, and holding on to the hope that one day I will find your straight doppelganger.  Unfortunately, there just aren't alot of Jews where I live.  Probably has something to do with the general level of intelligence here, the one that makes everybody think I'm really smart.

Fancy a doppelgangbang, do you?

Board footer

cruelery.com