• Home
  •  » High Street
  •  » Your Reading Preferences May Threaten National Security

#1 2007-11-28 21:43:46

The Feds tried to force Amazon.com to turn over purchase records.

#2 2007-11-29 02:06:42

Didja think buying anything at Borders with a credit card was supplying them with less info?

#3 2007-11-29 02:24:30

Big surprise. Isn't this the same administration that wants libraries to turn over records of books loaned to patrons? I'll stick with buying my books at used, lefty bookstores here in San Francisco, thanks.

#4 2007-11-29 14:15:49

Taint wrote:

Big surprise. Isn't this the same administration that wants libraries to turn over records of books loaned to patrons? I'll stick with buying my books at used, lefty bookstores here in San Francisco, thanks.

Taint,

I hope you pay for that with small bills. You live in the city where you have to be oh so carefull you don't get the wrong thing for lunch too many times in a row at the Whole Foods deli.

#5 2007-11-29 15:01:22

kim

I work with the Secret Service here and there and some of the ways they get their information ... I tell ya.

Where did the idea of books you buy and being a killer/terrorist/fucking weirdo start (other than the Catcher in the Rye situation) to get the Government so concerned?

#6 2007-11-29 15:07:23

kim wrote:

Where did the idea of books you buy and being a killer/terrorist/fucking weirdo start (other than the Catcher in the Rye situation) to get the Government so concerned?

An educated and informed population is anethma to totalitarian states the world over, including our own.

#7 2007-11-29 15:21:57

In related news: Public Libraries For Profit

#8 2007-11-29 15:24:35

Jeff Stein, CQ National Security Editor, wrote:

The idea was that a spike in, say, falafel sales, combined with other data, would lead to Iranian secret agents in the south San Francisco-San Jose area.

What about New York?  Who's looking out to protect us from Bill O'Reilly?

#9 2007-11-29 16:39:48

Decadence wrote:

The idea was that a spike in, say, falafel sales, combined with other data, would lead to Iranian secret agents in the south San Francisco-San Jose area.

What? Did they identify a spike in sales of Wonder Bread and ground beef?

#10 2007-11-29 17:11:32

Taint wrote:

What? Did they identify a spike in sales of Wonder Bread and ground beef?

To be honest, I've really no idea what in the hell seems to be going on there; However, a friend in the city informed that the local "Bed, Bath, And Beyond" has been out of stock on loofahs for well over a week; So, . . .

http://photos3.flickr.com/5155713_62b0f3fab0.jpg

#11 2007-11-29 17:55:25

choad wrote:

But does this mean that if a "public library" is run for profit by a private corporation that they are no longer obligated to surrender their patron records without warrant?

#12 2007-11-29 18:15:09

pALEPHx wrote:

choad wrote:

But does this mean that if a "public library" is run for profit by a private corporation that they are no longer obligated to surrender their patron records without warrant?

No they will get to sell info  on your readership habits whether you like it or not and the government can get it from Facebook like the rest of us. That is unless of course some databank lobbiest gets some legislation past that requires the government to spend your tax dollers buying all your private data from them.

#13 2007-11-29 18:20:02

kim wrote:

I work with the Secret Service here and there and some of the ways they get their information ... I tell ya.

Where? I will tell you when. As soon as the Gutenberg got done with the bible and resett the type for something else the authorities started nosing around who was reading what.

#14 2007-11-29 18:26:01

Decadence wrote:

Old squeaky clean Bill O'rly had  bit of an interest in Falafel's himself.

#15 2007-11-29 19:16:11

Johnny Rotten wrote:

kim wrote:

Where? I will tell you when. As soon as the Gutenberg got done with the bible and resett the type for something else the authorities started nosing around who was reading what.

The Bible in languages other than Latin was considered subversive by the authorities; many people who owned one were put to death for their own good and to protect the souls of their neighbors from corruption.

#16 2007-11-29 20:50:54

fnord wrote:

Johnny Rotten wrote:

kim wrote:

The Bible in languages other than Latin was considered subversive by the authorities; many people who owned one were put to death for their own good and to protect the souls of their neighbors from corruption.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

#17 2007-11-29 21:50:14

Johnny Rotten wrote:

Old squeaky clean Bill O'rly had bit of an interest in Falafel's himself.

Yeah, I didn't want to explain the joke; But, I wasn't sure if Taint hadn't gotten it, or had simply decided to go in a different direction.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/theblog/archive/oreilly-falafel.jpg

#18 2007-12-02 11:13:02

kim wrote:

The Secret Service was once the US government's most professional agency but it's allowed the last two administrations to so thoroughly compromise its mission, it's all but worthless now.

At least if they fuck up as bad as FEMA, we'll get regime change much sooner than anyone has prayed possible.

Secrecy Invoked on Abramoff Lawsuits

#19 2007-12-02 14:18:26

Decadence wrote:

Johnny Rotten wrote:

Old squeaky clean Bill O'rly had bit of an interest in Falafel's himself.

Yeah, I didn't want to explain the joke; But, I wasn't sure if Taint hadn't gotten it, or had simply decided to go in a different direction.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/theblog/a … alafel.jpg

I'm just clueless. What was O'Reilly's connection to falafel?

#20 2007-12-02 15:34:12

Taint wrote:

You must have really been out of it:

Results 1 - 10 of about 71,400 for "o'reilly" falafel.

JR's post has the pertinent link.

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#21 2007-12-02 15:40:30

square wrote:

Taint wrote:

You must have really been out of it:

I suspect I simply found it too traumatizing and blocked it out.

#22 2007-12-02 16:39:32

Decadence wrote:

I heard about that story, and I just falafel about it...   *ducks*

• Home
  •  » High Street
  •  » Your Reading Preferences May Threaten National Security

Board footer

cruelery.com