#1 2011-07-02 21:15:26

...get a spotter.

#2 2011-07-02 21:45:25

Does that seem credible to anyone? I half expected Art Linkletter's daughter to waltz in at the end and say, "Tada! Just a joke!"

#3 2011-07-02 22:35:42

choad wrote:

Does that seem credible to anyone? I half expected Art Linkletter's daughter to waltz in at the end and say, "Tada! Just a joke!"

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. "Kids take the darnedest things......"

#4 2011-07-02 22:37:53

I know, but I still thought it was funny because I didn't expect the window thing.

#5 2011-07-02 22:47:00

Not widely known to the public before she died in 1969, 20-year-old Diane Linkletter jumped out of a window of her high-rise apartment to her death in West Hollywood, California. Her death was widely reported in the media at the time, and her father blamed her death on LSD. Shortly thereafter, Art Linkletter became a prominent anti-drug campaigner.

#7 2011-07-03 04:52:20

Dad even sounds a little like Nixon.

#8 2011-07-03 05:46:14

I have no idea what happened either but I have very grave doubts about the acid flashback theory, especially coming from Nixon's unofficial anti-drug propagandist.

#9 2011-07-03 11:56:01

There was a recent controlled study that showed that mushroom-derived hallucinogen, called psilocybin can be safely and beneficially used in the right doses under the right circumstances.

http://healthland.time.com/2011/06/16/m … long-term/

#10 2011-07-03 13:19:32

Fucking Amateurs...  Darwin Award For Stupidity.

#11 2011-07-04 12:42:37

I have never met anyone that has had a "flashback" and I know at least 20 people personally who have taken acid.  I sometimes see something that is kind of trippy and reminds me of a part of a trip but never have a I been subject to the effects of LSD without ingesting it.

#12 2011-07-04 19:37:03

Stinkhammer wrote:

I have never met anyone that has had a "flashback" and I know at least 20 people personally who have taken acid.  I sometimes see something that is kind of trippy and reminds me of a part of a trip but never have a I been subject to the effects of LSD without ingesting it.

I think that many of these so-called flashbacks are the normal effects of fatigue but that we only really notice them after experiencing acid. On the other hand, the nighttime streetlight halo effect does seem to be a genuine effect but then again it's rather pretty.

What I would think if I ever did have a flashback? I would think that somewhere along the line I had actually gotten my money's worth from a dealer.

#13 2011-07-05 00:19:35

Tall Paul wrote:

Stinkhammer wrote:

I think that many of these so-called flashbacks are the normal effects of fatigue but that we only really notice them after experiencing acid. On the other hand, the nighttime streetlight halo effect does seem to be a genuine effect but then again it's rather pretty.

What I would think if I ever did have a flashback? I would think that somewhere along the line I had actually gotten my money's worth from a dealer.

I've known someone who claimed to have flashbacks, and it is one of only a handfull of people I've talked about acid use with (hell no, I have no desire).  Then again, he did a lot of other drugs as well, and his claim that he was on nothing else at the time seems suspect.

#14 2011-07-05 07:32:30

tojo2000 wrote:

Then again, he did a lot of other drugs as well, and his claim that he was on nothing else at the time seems suspect.

Unmentioned here is the spectacle of watching someone completely unhinge on acid, something I watched several times 40+ years ago. Curious about its long term consequences, I checked last night to see whatever became of so-and-so, a casualty of easily the worst psychotic break I've ever witnessed. My wayward friend, last seen sporting dreads, is now a noted meteorologist with the national weather service, his head still in the clouds, I guess.

#15 2011-07-05 08:23:41

choad wrote:

tojo2000 wrote:

Then again, he did a lot of other drugs as well, and his claim that he was on nothing else at the time seems suspect.

Unmentioned here is the spectacle of watching someone completely unhinge on acid, something I watched several times 40+ years ago. Curious about its long term consequences, I checked last night to see whatever became of so-and-so, a casualty of easily the worst psychotic break I've ever witnessed. My wayward friend, last seen sporting dreads, is now a noted meteorologist with the national weather service, his head still in the clouds, I guess.

True enough, watching an acid freakout is not the most pleasant experience, but psychotomimesis is not a property of acid.

#16 2011-07-05 08:59:41

Tall Paul wrote:

psychotomimesis is not a property of acid.

In my own limited, stonedage research sample, there were recognizable freakout candidates, already unstable personalities who didn't need much push. Those were the dark ages, though. Anymore, there's probably an Acid-Ed for Trainables wiki page.

#17 2011-07-05 19:22:36

choad wrote:

Tall Paul wrote:

In my own limited, stonedage research sample, there were recognizable freakout candidates, already unstable personalities who didn't need much push. Those were the dark ages, though. Anymore, there's probably an Acid-Ed for Trainables wiki page.

And that's the point, really. Acid brings out nothing in your personality that wasn't there in the first place, and even then the experience can be controlled and guided. That's one of the reasons why Leary proposed that tripping be done in a comfortable environment with an experienced counselor present. One of the greatest jokes of the whole stoner era was that  the reprehensible control-freak all-out evil bastards at the CIA who initiated LSD studies thought LSD was so dangerous because they themselves had evil, uncontrollable,  reprehensible all-out bastards of bad trips.

#18 2011-07-05 21:16:38

As well they should.  You cannot dictate to it.

#19 2011-07-05 23:35:58

Tall Paul wrote:

choad wrote:

Tall Paul wrote:

And that's the point, really. Acid brings out nothing in your personality that wasn't there in the first place, and even then the experience can be controlled and guided. That's one of the reasons why Leary proposed that tripping be done in a comfortable environment with an experienced counselor present. One of the greatest jokes of the whole stoner era was that  the reprehensible control-freak all-out evil bastards at the CIA who initiated LSD studies thought LSD was so dangerous because they themselves had evil, uncontrollable,  reprehensible all-out bastards of bad trips.

And this overly conceited view is one of the things that has been a stumbling block on the way to any realistic examination of the drug.  It's the refusal to believe that anyone who didn't already have psychological problems or is already evil ( of course we must accept that all members of the CIA are evil) might have issues that is the major bigotry of the psychedelic movement.

#20 2011-07-06 00:22:48

No, I won't say that all members of the CIA are evil, but the people in charge of MK Ultra certainly were. I do give them credit for experimenting on themselves first although that may only have been because they were desperate to keep knowledge of their experiments secret. And everyone has issues, which is why you should always have a spotter.

As far as I can tell the biggest stumbling block on the way to any realistic examination of the drug is the insistence of the government, despite evidence, that there are no acceptable medical or recreational uses for LSD. That goes for psilocyben, MDMA and even pot. It's just another variation of 'pay no attention to the man behind the curtain'. And please note that even the illegality of cocaine didn't stop the (yep, you guessed it!) CIA from importing it by the planeload.

#21 2011-07-06 17:26:47

There is so much in this video that fucking cracks me up! I especially love it when he first realizes someone is sitting next to him. Also, an Oscar to the supporting actress. It's hard to pull off "full retard" in front of the camera but she nailed it.

I'm into my second can of Cheese Wiz and I'm still watching this video. Top Notch! Top Notch!

Board footer

cruelery.com