#3 2011-09-13 21:18:03

Heh.  Remember MCS?  Don't hear much about that any more.

#4 2011-09-13 21:24:03

You can make big bucks calling that "homeopathy"

#5 2011-09-13 21:36:13

The technical term for what that woman has, and what the people like her have, is "batshit crazy".

Light is electromagnetic radiation.  Heat is electromagnetic radiation.  A lifetime of exposure to wi-fi at a distance of 12" is overshadowed by the radiation exposure of a few hours in the sunlight.  If she's ever had a good sunburn she's sucked up more electromagnetic radiation and accompanying damage than a whole lifetime of cell phones and wifi.

And a faraday cage isn't something you can just slap together.  You must maintain it meticulously.  Even something as trivial as a paperclip can let the RF into the cage, and this is very easy to demonstrate.  A real shielded room costs tens of thousands of dollars and a fuckload of maintenance.  Her home is powered by gas?  How does the gas get in... oh yeah, through a hole in the faraday cage... Anyone want to wager if she and her husband paid for the expensive shielded penetrators to get that through without violating the integrity of the cage?  She has electricity in the house, and that means violating the shield too unless she went to great expense to make proper shielded connections, which are expensive and require regular maintenance... She has windows too... shielded windows cost a lot of money... that's why spooky government buildings often don't have windows - it's easier/cheaper to brick up the building than make a window for a faraday cage.

And that blackout area... blanketed by RF emissions from satellites 24/7.  The radio astronomers take that into consideration, but I bet she doesn't.  The emissions from most satellites being in bands typically used by... dun dun dunnnnn wifi and cellular.

MCS people are largely crazy too, and when people stopped pandering to them they went away.  The wiki article hits it on the head:  "Double-blind, placebo-controlled trials indicate people diagnosed with MCS do not reproducibly have symptoms when exposed to chemicals."

#6 2011-09-13 21:46:04

Peco, I think it may have to do with the specific frequencies used. Kathy might know.

#7 2011-09-13 22:31:31

Light is electromagnetic radiation.  Heat is electromagnetic radiation.  A lifetime of exposure to wi-fi at a distance of 12" is overshadowed by the radiation exposure of a few hours in the sunlight.  If she's ever had a good sunburn she's sucked up more electromagnetic radiation and accompanying damage than a whole lifetime of cell phones and wifi.

Yeah, but if you could get her to stop cringing and wringing her hands long enough to understand that, she'd just project it all onto some other mysterious force "emanated by the wi-fi"--hell, if it's something un-quantifiable and/or undetectable, then she's set for life.

It was much simpler a century ago, when women like her just went and had the vapors.

#8 2011-09-14 08:19:58

Or, she could just live in my house. It's useless for cell coverage, even though the neighbors get great coverage and if I stand in the driveway, I get decent signal. But it's like my house is some kind of NORAD bunker or something.

Maybe that chick could buy a bunch of out of date Tempest equipment and live in a SCIF.

#9 2011-09-14 10:16:39

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Or, she could just live in my house. It's useless for cell coverage, even though the neighbors get great coverage and if I stand in the driveway, I get decent signal. But it's like my house is some kind of NORAD bunker or something.

Goob, are you my sister and/or brother-in-law?

#10 2011-09-14 13:54:08

I could be your BIL, if you live Ruther Glenn.

#11 2011-09-16 10:09:41

Nope.  They have the same kind of house though.

#12 2011-09-16 10:33:59

GooberMcNutly wrote:

So is mine and it's brought me end of joy watching the torment of visitors forced to endure my company unaided by running commentary from wireless world. We should put these folks to more productive use and borg them into roving cells towers.

My small, plain home was built in the 1860s by people who knew what the fuck they were doing. I didn't turn on A/C once this summer, but I did have to get a cell phone. Most of the time, it's a perfectly reliable pocket watch.

Board footer

cruelery.com