• Home
  •  » High Street
  •  » With Rulings Like This, Who Needs A Constitution?

#2 2011-09-22 03:11:43

Of course I oppose Capital Punishment on anti-humanitarian grounds (it's far more fiendishly cruel to lock somebody up for life without parole than it is to put them swiftly to death), but saying it's OK to put innocent people to death makes my position look sane by comparison!

#3 2011-09-22 05:37:15

fnord wrote:

Of course I oppose Capital Punishment on anti-humanitarian grounds (it's far more fiendishly cruel to lock somebody up for life without parole than it is to put them swiftly to death), but saying it's OK to put innocent people to death makes my position look sane by comparison!

Well, when Tony the Pony gets what's coming to him (if there's any justice in the world), at least no one will be able to claim he's innocent.

#4 2011-09-22 07:22:37

From what I've read, there's actually almost no EVIDENCE that Georgia-boy was anything close to innocent.

- witnesses didn't recant any testimony, they filed unnotarized documents that they could no longer remember the details...  after 20 years what would you expect?
- the guy had numerous appeals and was even allowed a special "prove your innocence" appeal that most people don't get
- The shells at the scene matched his gun
- The evidence showed he'd been shooting recently
- witnesses put him at the scene

He is guilty.  The system bent over backwards for him, and he still came out guilty.  I am not keen on capital punishment, but I am convinced they've got the right guy in this case.

#5 2011-09-22 08:49:48

I wish people would stop equating "not guilty beyond a reasonable doubt" with "innocence".

#6 2011-09-22 11:32:48

The whole death penalty thing is a waste of time and money; I vote for internal exile - we can just drop them off on one of the Aleutian Islands with a fishing pole, a sleeping bag and a tent - have a nice life.

#7 2011-09-22 15:44:42

Emmeran wrote:

The whole death penalty thing is a waste of time and money; I vote for internal exile - we can just drop them off on one of the Aleutian Islands with a fishing pole, a sleeping bag and a tent - have a nice life.

That actually doesn't sound too bad to me.

#8 2011-09-22 18:53:41

GooberMcNutly wrote:

I wish people would stop equating "not guilty beyond a reasonable doubt" with "innocence".

Just as soon as people stop equating 'convicted of a felony' with 'guilty'. On second thought, how about not equating 'accused on the TV' with 'guilty'?

#9 2011-09-22 20:19:51

Tall Paul wrote:

how about not equating 'accused on the TV' with 'guilty'?

OK, here is my brilliant plan #6784:

1) We have a lot of people out of work in this country, right? Can't find work and are on the dole or disabled, right? We give them money every month.

2) We need impartial jurists for trials.

3) We pay people NOT to watch TV (or only watch things on DVD or something), especially not the "news" or get a paper or otherwise concern themselves with current events or popular culture.

4) Then we provide these people as jury pools. It's great because then you don't have to take working folk out of production and you were going to be paying these people anyway.

OK, you can pay me now...

#10 2011-09-23 12:15:09

For anyone who still doubts this animal's guilt, please read Ann Coulter's column.  Love her or hate her, she always does her research.  It will allow you to sleep better knowing that justice was, in fact, served.

#11 2011-09-23 13:21:15

That's pretty much what I had read as well, the fact remains that is still costs far more to put him to death than to throw him in jail for the rest of his life.  You would think the conservatives would be all for the abolishment of the death penalty just to save that money or maybe this is yet another hypocrasy of the "family values" people.

#12 2011-09-23 15:03:39

Emmeran wrote:

That's pretty much what I had read as well, the fact remains that is still costs far more to put him to death than to throw him in jail for the rest of his life.  You would think the conservatives would be all for the abolishment of the death penalty just to save that money or maybe this is yet another hypocrasy of the "family values" people.

I believe conservatives value justice (call it retribution if you wish) over the costs involved.

#13 2011-09-23 18:29:18

phreddy wrote:

I believe conservatives value justice (call it retribution if you wish) over the costs involved.

Right to life so we can kill you - gotta love it.

#14 2011-09-23 20:16:18

phreddy wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

And I believe (capital C) Conservatives value jerking off over the torture, anal rape and killing of defenseless prisoners over justice. The cost doesn't enter into it except as fuel for talking points about government spending. Just sayin'.

#15 2011-09-23 22:53:14

sic

Until the Death Penalty is equally applied across socio-economic lines, regardless of representation, it is wrong.  If you, as a State, say that if you kill, then you will be killed, then it has to be applied regardless of the situation.  Soon as exceptions are made, then the Death Penalty must be abolished.

https://cruelery.com/uploads/thumbs/15_mickeykillemall.png

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

• Home
  •  » High Street
  •  » With Rulings Like This, Who Needs A Constitution?

Board footer

cruelery.com