#2 2012-05-03 12:00:42

Higher education is a farce already.  the time that a college degree was a significant differentiator when entering the workforce is long gone.  Even an MBA of other 'advanced" degree will not get you far.

College today is little more than a drinking game extension of high school.  Even Harvard is finally admitting that college is not appropriate for everyone.

#3 2012-05-03 12:15:40

Hey, if you're going to for a mail order degree why not MIT or Harvard?

#4 2012-05-03 12:33:10

If I were god for a day, I'd deny college admission for anyone under 25.

I posted this here somewhere months ago.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/19/educa … cates.html

#5 2012-05-03 13:44:09

choad wrote:

If I were god for a day, I'd deny college admission for anyone under 25.

I posted this here somewhere months ago.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/19/educa … cates.html

Good plan. You should be required to party your ass off until you hit 25, then settle down to get educated. Graduate, get a good job and start partying again.

#6 2012-05-03 14:01:17

Coursera and Udacity, which are set up as for-profits, said they are committed to keeping their classes free and have each raised millions from venture capitalists.

Then attendance will drop at public universities and a short time and a few mergers later 85% of higher education will be run by a few major multi-national corporations.

The success of this model will cause Conservatives to press for it's implementation at the High school level and then middle school.

25 years down the road a handful of businessmen will control the education of the majority of the world.

#7 2012-05-03 14:05:20

Emmeran wrote:

25 years down the road a handful of businessmen will control the education of the majority of the world.

As opposed to now?

#8 2012-05-03 14:42:46

Em wrote:

As opposed to the inept institutions which are stuffing politically correct liberal bullshit into the heads of today's school kids.

#9 2012-05-03 15:05:03

My son is graduating soon.  If one looks at what a school teaches for say, employ-ability, his turns out 90 percent of the students are working in their chosen fields within 6 months.

Education should be more than that though, I still believe. 

Phredd, you just need to pay attention/support your schools that reflect your vaules, you know Christian Fundamentalist Colleges etc.  None of that equality, and multiculturalism there.

#10 2012-05-03 15:11:15

Dmtdust wrote:

My son is graduating soon.  If one looks at what a school teaches for say, employ-ability, his turns out 90 percent of the students are working in their chosen fields within 6 months.

Education should be more than that though, I still believe. 

Phredd, you just need to pay attention/support your schools that reflect your vaules, you know Christian Fundamentalist Colleges etc.  None of that equality, and multiculturalism there.

The concern should focus around the propensity to streamline for costs, for example you end up with a total of 5 professors teaching 85% of the students across America, it would be pretty easy to change history at that point.  (and yes Phreddy they would be teaching them Liberal Math, you know where positive and negative numbers are treated equally and even the fractions have rights)

#11 2012-05-03 16:21:47

WCL

phreddy wrote:

Em wrote:

As opposed to the inept institutions which are stuffing politically correct liberal bullshit into the heads of today's school kids.

It's like swallowing a hot turd to agree with both Em & Phred at the same time, but I do. Phred's side first:

The notion of "academic freedom" was eroded beyond belief in the '90s (I was there) and still hasn't recovered (I won't be going back). For the last 20-odd years students have studied under a cloud of politically correct dogma, which was written by self-castrating males under the tutelage of under-qualified feminists (who were shoe-horned into teaching roles they were never fit for).

Looking in at the argument from Em's direction, Universities that are not sufficiently funded by the public sector (and/or by a private sector that doesn't demand a 'quid pro quo') have to turn to the business model to survive. That leads to the swift erosion of the university's mandate, which used to be "higher education." These days Universities compete with colleges and training schools for the entrance fees of 2nd-rate students, crowding their campuses, lowering their standards, and changing their mandates (read "job placement") accordingly. It's an ugly mess. Businessmen should be shot on sight at the University gates.

Board footer

cruelery.com