#2 2012-05-17 13:38:05

I hope you like it, Windows 8 is pretty much going to look like that webpage shat all over your desktop.

#3 2012-05-17 17:30:12

GooberMcNutly wrote:

I hope you like it, Windows 8 is pretty much going to look like that webpage shat all over your desktop.

Is it any wonder XP, an adolescent 12 year old, claims 47% of the market, a jump of 1% from its share the year before?

Mickeysoft is fucked.

Last edited by choad (2012-05-17 17:31:06)

#4 2012-05-17 17:58:38

This is a recent trend in website interface design. Supposedly it makes it easier to quickly browse & consume content, it's popular for tablet interfaces. You can credit Microsoft actually for being one of the early adopters, they've been doing it a couple of years here: http://wonderwall.msn.com/

Chicks supposedly dig it too, it makes me want to poke my eyes out.

#5 2012-05-17 18:20:38

Fuck.

#6 2012-05-17 18:35:29

WCL

Jesus God...hard to believe a company the size of Intel can't afford proper marketing guidance. I remember the last time the colour orange was in wide usage - just before the tech-bubble popped. For a while it all but disappeared, but over the last few years I've seen more orange advertising again, with its inherent message of desperation: "Look at me! I'm Orange! I'll do anything for attention!" I wouldn't bet the farm on it, but it may be an end-of-cycle market indicator.

#7 2012-05-17 19:40:21

GooberMcNutly wrote:

https://cruelery.com/uploads/11_win8-2.jpg

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#8 2012-05-17 19:45:56

choad wrote:

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Is it any wonder XP, an adolescent 12 year old, claims 47% of the market, a jump of 1% from its share the year before?

Mickeysoft is fucked.

I don't agree with your view, their Office365 offering alone is enough to sustain their current market share, not to mention free Skydrive with free excel/word applets making Google and Apple's offerings look immature and barely thought out.

Windows 8 is nothing special, it's just a wrapper tossed on top of Win7; we've already disabled that via GPO in our test group.

#9 2012-05-17 21:39:35

It's another win for the eternally distracted against the marginally organized. Folders and files and distinct applications are just too "linear" and "hierarchical" for people to just "get". (All terms from Windows 8 design specs) So instead you get the Big Messy Desk design and hope you can keep track of it.

#10 2012-05-17 21:50:45

How's this any different than Win 3.1?

#11 2012-05-17 23:41:38

WCL

For the last week I've been using a 'doze 7 loaner. It's fine, overall, but small modifications (such as turning off the touchpad) that would take me a few quick command line entries in linux took half an hour, and as for making it look and feel the way I want it to...forget it. Once either 'doze or Apphole decides they want you to do something their way, they really make it hard to do anything else. For whatever reasons, they don't want users to modify their products. In a marketplace that thrives on change, limiting the user experience smacks of senile thinking. Obviously MS has its dick solidly up business's ass, and Apphole has conquered the trendy and creative - but the shine comes off everything in time. Give linux another few years to develop its ease-of-interoperability and the game may start to change.

#12 2012-05-18 03:53:55

WCL wrote:

Give linux another few years to develop its ease-of-interoperability and the game may start to change.

In fairness, that's a fantasy long deferred, by 20 years give or take. I installed an early slackware distro on an aged, wheezing 386 clone over the vocal objections of my ff ex, which is to say I never confessed that crime until now. Its x-windows approximation refused to load but it still beat os/2 and lantastic/desqview/qemm for stability six ways to Sunday. Give it another few years, I thought. Hah.

Remember DoubleDOS? Thems were the daze.

#13 2012-05-18 04:04:48

WCL

choad wrote:

WCL wrote:

Give linux another few years to develop its ease-of-interoperability and the game may start to change.

In fairness, that's a fantasy long deferred, by 20 years give or take. I installed an early slackware distro on an aged, wheezing 386 clone over the vocal objections of my ff ex, which is to say I never confessed that crime until now. Its x-windows approximation refused to load but it still beat os/2 and lantastic/desqview/qemm for stability six ways to Sunday. Give it another few years, I thought. Hah.

I hear what you're saying, but still and still and still.

Last edited by choad (2012-08-30 19:46:24)

#14 2012-05-18 09:59:13

I say that the best thing you could do for yourself (and any knee biters you might be training in the Way of the Bit) is to have one of everything around the house. Good netbooks can be had used for less than $100 on eBarf and are great platforms for trying out Linux distros. I prefer EasyPeasy for netbooks, but throw 5 or 8 on a bootable USB key (about 30 minutes work depending on how fast your download is) and give them a whirl. But mostly, just experience the differences. You don't have to lay there and get fed raw Horker Loaf by Microsoft or Apple. But you owe it to yourself to be conversant in all, even if you do type "ls" in your DOS box from time to time.

#15 2012-05-18 12:50:24

WCL wrote:

choad wrote:

WCL wrote:

I hear what you're saying, but still and still and still.

You sound like an Amiga user circa 1990.  Learn PowerShell and quit whining.

#16 2012-05-18 12:51:34

WCL wrote:

small modifications (such as turning off the touchpad) that would take me a few quick command line entries in linux took half an hour, and as for making it look and feel the way I want it to...forget it.

Again, try to keep up with the technology, learn powershell.

#17 2012-05-18 17:25:40

WCL

Emmeran wrote:

If I were a Windows user I think I would learn Powershell, but at the moment linux and the CLI suits me perfectly. If linux disappeared I would probably go back to Windows, but very reluctantly. I don't see its value as a home computer when there are myriad linux distros that will do almost all the same things for free, with way less bloat and no need for virus protection (8 years with linux - no virus protection and no viruses - and yes, I auto-bup to be safe).

#18 2012-05-18 19:32:18

WCL wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

If I were a Windows user I think I would learn Powershell, but at the moment linux and the CLI suits me perfectly. If linux disappeared I would probably go back to Windows, but very reluctantly. I don't see its value as a home computer when there are myriad linux distros that will do almost all the same things for free, with way less bloat and no need for virus protection (8 years with linux - no virus protection and no viruses - and yes, I auto-bup to be safe).

I'd miss my games and all my Windows stuff is free and it all ties in with my phone so I'll stick with the Microsoft stuff.

#19 2012-05-27 07:12:40

Since this thread has all-ready been rightly "jacked":

I am currently attempting to set-up a system for a friend.  I in-stalled Ubuntu 12.04 (KDE did not prove to be as user-friendly as claimed).  I used my modem, and logged in with my Earthlink account through Firefox.  I told Firefox not to save my log-in and pass-word, and, being the accommodating sort that Mozilla are, they did not.  How-Ever, Ubuntu now connects automatically as long as my ethernet is connected.  I assume that this means that it has saved my log-in and pass-word some-where, but I can-not locate it in order to remove it (I can see my IP address when connected; But, no actual account in-formation).  Can any-body "help a brother out" on this?

Side-Note/Oddity:  After five or six re-boots, Ubuntu changed the system pass-word to all upper-case, and will not allow me to revert it.  What in the fuck is that about?

#20 2012-05-28 05:36:52

Unless you installed Ubuntu in a time machine or are using an actual modem (like, you're plugging into a phone line) you should not need login information every time you connect to the Internet.  The username and password, if needed at all, has probably been saved on your modem.

#21 2012-05-28 07:06:08

Decadence wrote:

Since this thread has all-ready been rightly "jacked":

And since you've said fuckall about the type of installation you employed, the system specs or your relative sobriety when you attempted this feat, click below and see if it looks familiar.

First, though, a handy installation tip. Never fuck with a friend's system until you've tried it first on your own.

http://bit.ly/KWgzXR

#22 2012-05-28 11:32:27

tojo2000 wrote:

. . .  are using an actual modem (like, you're plugging into a phone line) . . ..

Yeah, I re-side "in the boonies", and connect with an old ZyXel P-600.  I have been manually disconnecting it from my desk system to plug it in-to the lap-top.

tojo2000 wrote:

The username and password, if needed at all, has probably been saved on your modem.

I had not considered that.  My mind will never be completely at ease (Life "sucking" so as it does); But, that is a bit of a comforting thought.

Actually, the more that I consider it (And, as I consider my prior "set-up" {I was previously set to automatically log-in on my desk-top"), I think that you might be "right on" with this one.  Thanks for that.

choad wrote:

First, though, a handy installation tip. Never fuck with a friend's system until you've tried it first on your own.

http://bit.ly/KWgzXR

I generally will not; But, he was running a "cracked" copy of XP which was threatening to shut down with-in the week due to "automatic update" having been set.  And, it proved to be a bit difficult attempting to "verify" a "cracked" OS to MicroSoft's liking).  And, then there was that rather annoying virus which kept creating "_dl" copies of any directory which I attempted to "back-up".

And, obviously, I did attempt to find my answers through Google first.  Had I found the answer which I seek there, I would not be bothering you lot with it, now, would I?

And, as you asked, sobriety has varied on this in-stall.  But, I have found that I am more inclined to work on it after a bit of meth and scotch.  I will give it the occasional glance when I am sober; But, that is about as far as that dance gets.

But, attitude on either of our parts a-side this mourn, I do still love you, Mate.

And, ultimately, I believe that Tojo may have "come through" for me on this one where-as Google left me wandering from site to site for days.  So, may-haps I should simply bring my drunken inquiries here first in the future any-way.

Obviously, I will, in the future, be recommending this one to my friends.  "Yeah, I googled it, and could not find shit."  "Did you try high-streeting it?"  "I did not actually.  Thanks.  I will give that a go."

Last edited by Decadence (2012-05-28 13:19:38)

#23 2012-05-28 18:43:03

Decadence wrote:

And, ultimately, I believe that Tojo may have "come through" for me on this one where-as Google left me wandering from site to site for days.  So, may-haps I should simply bring my drunken inquiries here first in the future any-way.

Obviously, I will, in the future, be recommending this one to my friends.  "Yeah, I googled it, and could not find shit."  "Did you try high-streeting it?"  "I did not actually.  Thanks.  I will give that a go."

Great idea! An 'Advice From High-Street' thread may well bring on the Eschaton faster than anything else. It might also bring the Feds in in force.

#24 2012-05-28 19:25:27

Tall Paul wrote:

Great idea! An 'Advice From High-Street' thread may well bring on the Eschaton faster than anything else. It might also bring the Feds in in force.

I believe that Ops and Fnord all-ready "covered us" on that point.

And, are we no longer referring to it as an apocalypse?  Be-Cause, I was just starting to grow some-what comfort-able with that term (As comfort-able as one can be with such an all en-compassing term any-way.*).

And, lastly, should I uninstall and reinstall the ethernet port prior to creating the user accounts; Or, would that simply be over-kill?

* If it is really a choice be-twixt joining Kirk Cameron in Heaven, or being "left be-hind" with Neil Patrick Harris, I am not going to be putting too much thought in-to this one.  Kirk is really only amusing for two . . .  three minutes at best.

#25 2012-05-28 22:40:24

I-am "waiting" for George Orr's head (to*) "ex"-plode.

#26 2012-05-29 09:23:22

opsec wrote:

I-am "waiting" for George Orr's head (to*) "ex"-plode.

Mine has-been ex-ploding for at-least the past ten min-utes of read-ing this thread.

Board footer

cruelery.com