#51 2012-07-30 00:06:15

Tall Paul wrote:

...making it feasible to print an entire gun...

I call bullshit on this one. Printing a receiver is one thing, and I have no doubt it would work for a time. Printing a barrel is something else entirely and you're entirely welcome to try firing one as long as I'm nowhere nearby.  No need to go for something big like a .50 caliber sniper rifle. Why not start small? Print yourself a .270 and let me know how it goes.

Should be do-able to print handguns, though.

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#52 2012-07-30 12:08:22

Tall Paul wrote:

I call bullshit on this one. Printing a receiver is one thing, and I have no doubt it would work for a time. Printing a barrel is something else entirely and you're entirely welcome to try firing one as long as I'm nowhere nearby.  No need to go for something big like a .50 caliber sniper rifle. Why not start small? Print yourself a .270 and let me know how it goes.

Try to keep up with modern technology my friend

#53 2012-07-30 12:26:02

there is huge difference between what can be used to make airplanes (or weapons) and what will be viable for the home user, cost wise.

If you think about it, modern CNC machines aren't much more than glorified printers spitting out batch jobs from a PC.....

Also, fuck off flying in a transparent aircraft.

#55 2012-07-31 08:48:46

Emmeran wrote:

Tall Paul wrote:

Try to keep up with modern technology my friend

I have been keeping up, but I believe that the pressure differential between the inside and outside of an airliner's hull is much less than that of a gun barrel. If that's not the case I'll be happy to be corrected.

#56 2012-07-31 10:09:21

Tall Paul wrote:

I have been keeping up, but I believe that the pressure differential between the inside and outside of an airliner's hull is much less than that of a gun barrel. If that's not the case I'll be happy to be corrected.

Now you're simply talking about an engineering challenge.

#57 2012-07-31 11:31:02

I would actually be curious as to how the 3D printing technology would address the concept of a cylinder.  An aircraft hull is not a truly homogeneous cylinder, but rather sheets of material assembled in to a tube.  A firearm barrel is homogeneous, which is what allows it to withstand the high pressures.

#58 2012-07-31 14:41:05

Fid

"I would actually be curious as to how the 3D printing technology would address the concept of a cylinder. "

Vectors...

You could have different parts printed from different material - metallic powders, exotic carbon or polymer  compounds.

#59 2012-07-31 17:01:24

I'll believe a printed sear when I see it. That edge is usually milled to the thousandths and then ground to tenths.

But if you used printing to make the resin master, coat with slurry and silica, pour the steel and then hammer forge, I'll bet you could make a respectable barrel. But that's not really a direct print.

But I have seen some sintered metal products that were extremely durable, including replacement landing gear links for a C-130 Hercules but they get heat treated like 20 times after being molded.

#60 2012-07-31 17:14:13

GooberMcNutly wrote:

...That edge is usually milled to the thousandths and then ground to tenths.

Huh??

#61 2012-07-31 17:35:51

whosasailorthen wrote:

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Huh??

It's that new math.....

#62 2012-07-31 19:39:24

whosasailorthen wrote:

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Huh??

He must mean ten thousandths.

#63 2012-07-31 20:29:37

GooberMcNutly wrote:

I'll believe a printed sear when I see it. That edge is usually milled to the thousandths and then ground to tenths.

And then then the end-user takes a file to it :)

#64 2012-07-31 22:15:46

opsec wrote:

GooberMcNutly wrote:

And then then the end-user takes a file to it :)

At the range. Yeah, I've seen that.

Board footer

cruelery.com