• Home
  •  » High Street
  •  » 74th Annual High Street Quasi Civil Gun Abortion Politics Thread

#201 2013-04-26 18:02:38

#202 2013-04-26 19:52:32

GooberMcNutly wrote:

I was thinking about this today. You know how the latest Boston shit hitting the media fan made a whole new generation of rednecks hate on the vast majority of law-abiding Muslims because some unhappy, socially maladjusted Muslim did something bad?

Now you know how gun owners feel.

That's how they feel about what?  They feel that way because they can freely own a pistol, a shotgun and a breech-fed .30-06?

Or they feel that way because most of us don't think they should be able to own a SAW with a 100 round drum?  My fucking heart bleeds for you, I'm fine with my shotgun and rifle, what I have fits my need although I probably need to pick up a .22LR to train the boys with.  I don't understand what people are trying to accomplish here; please fill me in...

#203 2013-04-28 19:54:49

phreddy wrote:

Baywolfe wrote:

And stupid people probably shouldn't own guns.  They're legally allowed to but, they just shouldn't.

Although this sounds reasonable on its surface, you may discover that clever people are more dangerous.  Crazy people, yes, take their guns.  Stupid people? not so sure.

Sure about that?

http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=GS&Date=20130426&Category=ARTICLES&ArtNo=130429692&Ref=V1&MaxW=728&logo=/images/watermark.gif&logoxpos=0&logoypos=0

+click+

EDIT: Bad linkage corrected

Last edited by Tall Paul (2013-04-29 17:34:54)

#204 2013-04-29 16:58:53

Tall Paul wrote:

phreddy wrote:

Baywolfe wrote:

And stupid people probably shouldn't own guns.  They're legally allowed to but, they just shouldn't.

Although this sounds reasonable on its surface, you may discover that clever people are more dangerous.  Crazy people, yes, take their guns.  Stupid people? not so sure.

Sure about that?

http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcsi.d … logoypos=0

+click+

Bad linkage

#205 2013-04-29 17:04:06

Down at the (new) local gun shop today signing the boy up for safety lessons, as a new resident I have to take them too.

Saw a pre-ban Colt AR-15A2, they want $2.5k for it;  I would really love to have one of those as I know the weapon so very well.  In the end I'll probably get a bolt action 7.62 and a bolt action .22 for the boys to learn on.

I don't know what I'd actually do with an A2 anyway.  Also saw some nice Flintlocks, now that's a pretty sporting way to hunt...

#206 2013-04-29 21:55:53

Bolt Action.  Only a poor shot needs a semi auto. I've an indigenous friend down in R.I. who hunted with flintlocks for many years.  He has abandoned hunting do to the nutjobs who pass for hunters now days.

Oh, and sights.  If you can't get up on your deer from down wind close enough to use a hard sight, why are you even hunting?

#207 2013-04-29 22:26:45

Gun rights have nothing to do with hunting.  There is no right to hunt.

#208 2013-04-29 23:51:49

I do 95% of my big game hunting with black powder (well, Triple-7 substitute...) but that doesn't make me not want to own an AR. And anyone who would pay $2.5k for an AR-15, no matter what the vintage, is being silly. I'm sure it's worth something to collectors, but so are pepper box pistols, but I wouldn't try to actually shoot one.

But while Dusty may consider it a form of manliness to self-restrict access to technology, if I'm going to kill something, I'm going to do everything in my power to make sure it's done in a quick and decisive manner with a minimum of suffering or chance to cause suffering.

You guys just keep telling yourself two things: You have no personal right to defend your own life or safety and that the Bill of Rights is 9 amendments taking power away from the Federal government and one amendment giving it all back. Then you can sleep soundly at night.

#209 2013-04-30 01:56:39

Dmtdust wrote:

Bolt Action.  Only a poor shot needs a semi auto. I've an indigenous friend down in R.I. who hunted with flintlocks for many years.  He has abandoned hunting do to the nutjobs who pass for hunters now days.

Oh, and sights.  If you can't get up on your deer from down wind close enough to use a hard sight, why are you even hunting?

I understand where you're coming from, but it's a sad fact when killing an animal that often the more sporting the method the less clean the death. 

But as RX points out, "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" has nothing to do with hunting.

#210 2013-04-30 02:27:47

Ah, I prefer hunting more than pretending that I am soldier, or some fabled militia. This militia stuff is shite.  First ya got to be organized by the state, which none of these numb-fucks are.  If you want it to really, really, really real, you need training, not fucking fantasy cowboy shite. Look at the Swiss for god sakes.

It seems that your misinterpretations of what constitutes the constitution is a bit more widespread: 
http://www.upworthy.com/its-official-fo … y-3?c=upw1

Last edited by Dmtdust (2013-04-30 02:30:22)

#211 2013-04-30 11:45:23

Tall Paul wrote:

phreddy wrote:

Baywolfe wrote:

Sure about that?

http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcsi.d … logoypos=0

+click+

EDIT: Bad linkage corrected

But the guy didn't even have a gun.  Apparently, the current laws worked just fine.  This convicted felon didn't have a real firearm, but I'll concede that he's plenty stupid.

#212 2013-04-30 13:46:33

GooberMcNutly wrote:

But while Dusty may consider it a form of manliness to self-restrict access to technology, if I'm going to kill something, I'm going to do everything in my power to make sure it's done in a quick and decisive manner with a minimum of suffering or chance to cause suffering.

However you have to admit you don't need a 30 round removable clip to do so, an 8 round breech load will do the same job.  We already draw lines, the question of where the lines are drawn is what is under discussion.  I'm in favor of a 8 or 10 round limit to all magazine's for all civilian owned weapons, if you can't do the job with that then you should be required to surrender your weapon on grounds of incompetency.

#213 2013-04-30 14:05:50

As the gun control debate rages... the United States weaponizes itself at an unprecedented rate.

Whether it is due to the recent governmental attempt to enforce assorted gun controlling measures in the aftermath of the Newtown, CT shooting, or, merely driven by the same catalyst that saw a surge in gun sales four years ago, namely the presidential election, one thing is certain: America is weaponizing itself at an unheard of pace, with both Sturm, Ruger shipments and units produced surpassing 500,000 each in one quarter for the first time in history

Last edited by lechero (2013-04-30 14:07:00)

#214 2013-04-30 16:03:51

https://cruelery.com/uploads/11_fat_guy_shooting_his_gun.gif

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#215 2013-04-30 16:28:43

Good Grief!  I'm fat and I could fit inside him twice!

What do you think?  Five bills?

#216 2013-04-30 17:13:59

Baywolfe wrote:

Good Grief!  I'm fat and I could fit inside him twice!

What do you think?  Five bills?

I'd like to see him try the Standing to Prone Rapid Fire course, hell - Standing to Sitting would be fun also....

And I can see why he'd want a large clip, he can't possibly aim that thing without external support.

Last edited by Emmeran (2013-04-30 17:15:23)

#219 2013-05-01 14:01:41

Nothing says love like your own handgun or assault rifle, especially for children.

#220 2013-05-01 14:13:03

icangetyouatoe wrote:

Nothing says love like your own handgun or assault rifle, especially for children.

Toe!!!!

I'm saddened that I didn't get to see you before I left for the other shining sea...

#221 2013-05-01 21:21:18

icangetyouatoe wrote:

That is kind of wasted here sadly Mon Cher.  From what I see from Phredd, and a couple of others their supposed right to own a gun run a militia (state sponsored if I am correct)  trumps children's rights to pursue happiness, and oh, life.  Nothing does say love like an instrument of death kept around because you are scared shitless of other people.

#222 2013-05-02 14:10:24

Dmtdust wrote:

icangetyouatoe wrote:

That is kind of wasted here sadly Mon Cher.  From what I see from Phredd, and a couple of others their supposed right to own a gun run a militia (state sponsored if I am correct)  trumps children's rights to pursue happiness, and oh, life.  Nothing does say love like an instrument of death kept around because you are scared shitless of other people.

What does this have to do with responsible gun ownership?  Responsible people do not buy guns for their children and worse, leave them unattended.  If I gave a car to a 10 year old and sent him out on the highway where he killed someone in a wreck, you wouldn't be bitching about car ownership.  You would be demanding that I be thrown in jail for negligence.

#223 2013-05-02 14:51:14

phreddy wrote:

What does this have to do with responsible gun ownership?

I'm going to assume you meant "What does this have to do with the current proposed gun laws".  The new laws wouldn't have changed this scenario one iota, the irresponsibility here is piled about as high as it can get and this family paid the price for being lazy and stupid.  This was a horrible thing however they should consider themselves lucky he didn't shoot someone else's kid; they did a good job of keeping the tragedy right where it belongs - with the irresponsibility.

#224 2013-05-08 16:21:19

Ahh Congress - so many ways to get paid.

In 2004, the gun lobby backed an amendment to prohibit the ATF from requiring dealers to conduct annual inventories. In 2011, the bureau found that almost 18,500 guns were unaccounted for during the course of 13,100 compliance inspections, according to the ATF.

“Everyone from Wal-Mart (WMT) down to the corner grocery store understands how important it is to know where your stuff is. The firearms industry is the one industry in our country that doesn’t seem to think it’s a good idea.”

#226 2013-05-10 12:43:22

I was going to let this rest, but since you brought it up again, let me show you some of the language directly from the bill.  This language quoted below is only the part on transfers. 

If you loan your friend your shotgun before he buys his hunting license or before the season opens, or if he travels through a county where the hunting season is not open, both of you have committed a federal crime.

Only you can move your weapon.  If you place your weapon in your friends truck during a move, both of you have committed a federal crime.

If any of the above involves two or more guns, both of you are guilty of trafficking.

S.649 wrote:

(t)(1) Beginning on the date that is 180 days after the date of enactment of the Fix Gun Checks Act of 2013, it shall be unlawful for any person who is not licensed under this chapter to transfer a firearm to any other person who is not licensed under this chapter, unless a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer has first taken possession of the firearm for the purpose of complying with subsection (s). Upon taking possession of the firearm, the licensee shall comply with all requirements of this chapter as if the licensee were transferring the firearm from the licensee's inventory to the unlicensed transferee.

`(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to--

`(A) bona fide gifts between spouses, between parents and their children, between siblings, or between grandparents and their grandchildren;

`(B) a transfer made from a decedent's estate, pursuant to a legal will or the operation of law;

`(C) a temporary transfer of possession that occurs between an unlicensed transferor and an unlicensed transferee, if--

`(i) the temporary transfer of possession occurs in the home or curtilage of the unlicensed transferor;

`(ii) the firearm is not removed from that home or curtilage during the temporary transfer; and

`(iii) the transfer has a duration of less than 7 days; and

`(D) a temporary transfer of possession without transfer of title made in connection with lawful hunting or sporting purposes if the transfer occurs--

`(i) at a shooting range located in or on premises owned or occupied by a duly incorporated organization organized for conservation purposes or to foster proficiency in firearms and the firearm is, at all times, kept within the premises of the shooting range;

`(ii) at a target firearm shooting competition under the auspices of or approved by a State agency or nonprofit organization and the firearm is, at all times, kept within the premises of the shooting competition; or

`(iii) while hunting or trapping, if--

`(I) the activity is legal in all places where the unlicensed transferee possesses the firearm;

`(II) the temporary transfer of possession occurs during the designated hunting season; and

`(III) the unlicensed transferee holds any required license or permit.

`(3) For purposes of this subsection, the term `transfer'--

`(A) shall include a sale, gift, loan, return from pawn or consignment, or other disposition; and

`(B) shall not include temporary possession of the firearm for purposes of examination or evaluation by a prospective transferee while in the presence of the prospective transferee.

`(4)(A) Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter, the Attorney General may implement this subsection with regulations.

`(B) Regulations promulgated under this paragraph--

`(i) shall include a provision setting a maximum fee that may be charged by licensees for services provided in accordance with paragraph (1); and

`(ii) shall include a provision requiring a record of transaction of any transfer that occurred between an unlicensed transferor and unlicensed transferee accordance with paragraph (1).'.

#227 2013-05-10 13:08:47

phreddy wrote:

I was going to let this rest, but since you brought it up again, let me show you some of the language directly from the bill.  This language quoted below is only the part on transfers. 

If you loan your friend your shotgun before he buys his hunting license or before the season opens, or if he travels through a county where the hunting season is not open, both of you have committed a federal crime.

Only you can move your weapon.  If you place your weapon in your friends truck during a move, both of you have committed a federal crime.

If any of the above involves two or more guns, both of you are guilty of trafficking.

I'm having a hard time lining up your statements with the quotes from the proposed law, it seems like you are nit-picking more than a bit here.  Furthermore tell your lazy-ass fucking friend to go get a shotgun license if he wants to borrow your shotgun.  In most states the license only requires a back ground check and safety course.  Other-wise he has to go hunting with you and you can loan him the weapon once the hunt begins - is that so fucking hard?

(If your friend can't pass the back ground check you may want to reconsider loaning him shit anyway.)

#228 2013-05-10 13:18:57

Well, Phreddy, it seems like any senator who had a better way to deal with the problem of hand gun lending among criminals, which is commonplace in many cities, could easily have voted to allow the bill to come before the full senate where amendments could be offered and considered.  Instead, the filibuster succeeded and the compromise bill (drafted by Mr Club-for-Growth himself) died without debate.

#229 2013-05-10 14:00:10

Emmeran wrote:

Furthermore tell your lazy-ass fucking friend to go get a shotgun license if he wants to borrow your shotgun.

The Constitution wrote:

.....SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

#230 2013-05-10 14:46:06

phreddy wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

Furthermore tell your lazy-ass fucking friend to go get a shotgun license if he wants to borrow your shotgun.

The Constitution wrote:

.....SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

WELL REGULATED MILITIA...

I'm also glad to see that you support the individual citizens right to own Stinger missles...

Last edited by Emmeran (2013-05-10 14:53:06)

#231 2013-05-10 15:47:04

Under the theory that the Founders (PBUH) designed the second amendment as a recourse against tyranny, then it's perfectly legitimate to mail ricin to your senator when you personally feel your rights are being infringed.

#232 2013-05-10 16:37:06

Htom Sirveaux wrote:

Under the theory that the Founders (PBUH) designed the second amendment as a recourse against tyranny, then it's perfectly legitimate to mail ricin to your senator when you personally feel your rights are being infringed.

True - Ricin technically is a munition when used in that manner; the right to bear arms shall not be infringed after all.

#233 2013-05-10 16:51:55

Emmeran wrote:

Htom Sirveaux wrote:

True - Ricin technically is a munition when used in that manner; the right to bear arms shall not be infringed after all.

Personally, I believe we should have the right to manufacture ricin if we wish.  Sending it in the mail or otherwise using it to poison someone has always been a crime.  We should also have the right to distill liquor and grow marijuana and opium poppies, so long as we don't give them to a minor.  We should be allowed to appear drunk or stoned in public so long as we leave others alone.  There are any number of restrictions on our rights which we have given up because it is convenient for law enforcement.  Some of these rights are specifically mentioned in the Constitution and fortunately, people like you two have been unable to extinguish them, yet.

#234 2013-05-10 17:01:45

phreddy wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

Htom Sirveaux wrote:

Personally, I believe we should have the right to manufacture ricin if we wish.  Sending it in the mail or otherwise using it to poison someone has always been a crime.  We should also have the right to distill liquor and grow marijuana and opium poppies, so long as we don't give them to a minor.  We should be allowed to appear drunk or stoned in public so long as we leave others alone.  There are any number of restrictions on our rights which we have given up because it is convenient for law enforcement.  Some of these rights are specifically mentioned in the Constitution and fortunately, people like you two have been unable to extinguish them, yet.

So then you agree with my right to own and use guided missiles?

#235 2013-05-10 17:09:03

Emmeran wrote:

Why not?  So long as you observe the same handling and storage protocol as the military does.  However, if your use, storage, or handling hurts innocent people, you should suffer the consequences.  And, my why not question was not rhetorical.  Tell me why not.

#236 2013-05-10 17:22:40

phreddy wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

Why not?  So long as you observe the same handling and storage protocol as the military does.  However, if your use, storage, or handling hurts innocent people, you should suffer the consequences.  And, my why not question was not rhetorical.  Tell me why not.

Wait, now you are tacking on regulations and infringing my right to bear that arm.  I know for a fact those missiles are safely stored in such locations as grain bins, under beds and caves throughout the world.

Last edited by Emmeran (2013-05-10 17:22:54)

#237 2013-05-10 17:52:32

phreddy wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

I think saying people can do all kinds of wildly dangerous things and then punishing them when lots of people get killed is a shitty way to do things.

"OK, you can have this Abrams tank, but the moment you use it to annihilate an elementary school, then LOOK OUT, MISTER, BECAUSE YER GON GIT PROSECUTED SO BAD, provided we can get you out of the tank."

That's not a good way to do things: "Look, Kim, you can go ahead and have your nukes, but as soon as you kill 5,000,000 people in Seoul, we're totally gonna kick your ass."

"Officer, that man is collecting explosives and putting them in a duffel bag. He said he's going down to the federal building." "Unfortunately, ma'am, he hasn't broken any laws. But as soon as he kills those people we'll be sure to arrest him, provided he's not a suicide bomber."

#238 2013-05-11 10:45:12

Phreddy's looking for the libertarian bailout.  Oops.  I probably offended somebody again.  There are no judicial scholars I know of that think the second amendment, or any other amendment, is intended to be absolute.  One thing you can be very confident of is that the drafters would have been a lot more circumspect with their wording if they had foreseen the kinds of arms that now exist.

#239 2013-05-11 19:08:09

https://cruelery.com/uploads/thumbs/5_gun.jpg

#240 2013-05-13 12:46:40

A)Has ANYONE argued that a 5 year old should have a gun?

B)Explain to me how a service provided by other human beings is a right?

#241 2013-05-13 13:08:00

Oh Ranger, please display your self centered Knuckle dragging.  I love it when you go all "I am a Libertarian and don't interact or care about others".  It is so macho, it sends the ladies quivering.

#242 2013-05-13 14:06:20

Dmtdust wrote:

Oh Ranger, please display your self centered Knuckle dragging.  I love it when you go all "I am a Libertarian and don't interact or care about others".  It is so macho, it sends the ladies quivering.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/aroy/2013/0 … ual-right/

For the record, I am OK with the idea of socialized medicine, as long as it is implemented wisely.  So far here in the US, IMLTHO, it has not.  I like how things are done in the UK, where you still have to option to choose private health insurance, with which comes an almost concierge level of service.  At least over there I can have the callouses removed from my knuckles in a timely fashion, without having to pay exorbitant premiums or wait for a  Purgatorian endothermic event.

Also for the record, I am a Frisbeetarian, having abandoned Libertarianism as being as idealistically implementable as Socialism.  We need government (to an extent) to provide services (within reason), which must be paid for by taxes (also withing reason).  It's all part of growing up and being civilized.

#243 2013-05-13 14:20:14

In the UK, very few Doctors do not take National Health.  The situation you cited about the young man could be laid at the feet of our current system where Doctors work on a for profit basis.

Nice to know you are growing out of the Libertarian.  It is cool that people can mature.

#244 2013-05-13 17:56:27

XregnaR wrote:

A)Has ANYONE argued that a 5 year old should have a gun?

Besides you, you mean? Or am I wrong and you're not a dot dot dot head? You know what I mean, the kind of guy who loves the Constitution so much that he just can't bring himself to admit that parts of it exist? The "... the right to bear arms shall not be infringed" crowd. Maybe I'm confusing you with Phreddy, sorry.

There are people who think nothing of marketing killing machines to 5 year-olds so long as the money rolls in. How do you feel about that?

#245 2013-05-14 09:46:07

Tall Paul wrote:

Besides you, you mean? Or am I wrong and you're not a dot dot dot head? You know what I mean, the kind of guy who loves the Constitution so much that he just can't bring himself to admit that parts of it exist? The "... the right to bear arms shall not be infringed" crowd. Maybe I'm confusing you with Phreddy, sorry.

There are people who think nothing of marketing killing machines to 5 year-olds so long as the money rolls in. How do you feel about that?

I think you should go back and start reading through every gun related comment I have made on this site.  go on.  I'll wait.

Done?  Good.

I don't believe ANYTHING should be marketed to a 5 year old.  Period.  Not guns.  Not cereal.

As for things that might cause harm to children, I am much more concerned with the state of our government education system, and the proliferation of psychotropic drugs as a method of behavior management.  I am also much more concerned with the cultural belief that it is OK to farm out raising our kids to child care facilities that have little or no oversight, environments that are a Lord of the Flies writ small scale.

Children have no Right to Bear Arms, or any other rights guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution.  I STRONGLY believe that all our "rights" come with great responsibility.  Something most seem to have forgotten.

#246 2013-05-17 04:23:47

annnnd marketing (on que)

Last edited by choad (2013-06-12 14:17:04)

#247 2013-05-18 01:38:47

Of course the Founding Fathers totally anticipated this.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconside … le-on-sale

#248 2013-05-19 07:32:15

https://cruelery.com/uploads/11_more_guns.jpg

#249 2013-05-28 13:51:22

https://cruelery.com/uploads/11_fear_of_strangers.jpg

#250 2013-05-28 14:28:52

A wee bit of perfection and truth.

• Home
  •  » High Street