• Home
  •  » High Street
  •  » The Bush-Obama-Trump Whitehouse - Your privacy down the shitter

#201 2013-08-13 07:51:30

https://cruelery.com/uploads/13_colonoscopy_video_for_government.gif

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#203 2013-08-13 14:53:28

These incidents also high-lights how lax the access control procedures are on this data; I hired a SysAdmin out of the military once and the stories he had to tell were incredible.

#204 2013-08-14 04:25:52

Now, now, none of you hens need to worry; we have the perfect individual to guard your house.

#205 2013-08-14 04:36:14

https://cruelery.com/uploads/13_government_colonoscopy2.gif

#207 2013-08-16 14:17:08

And now this.  An internal audit by the NSA reports that the agency violated the  privacy of American citizens thousands of times.  However, it was not the NSA who turned over the report to Congress, it was Snowden.

#208 2013-08-17 01:21:17

But at least there's a court looking over their shoulder, right?

Perhaps the Congress will grow a pair?

#210 2013-08-17 12:55:29

NSA statements to The Post

Question is, how much of this rotten behavior does it take to topple a government?

#212 2013-08-19 04:19:42

choad wrote:

Question is, how much of this rotten behavior does it take to topple a government?

Sadly, it kinda depends on which government.  If this were a Republican government it would have already been toppled (writ: Nixon).  But unfortunately there's nobody who will even attempt to take down The First Black President®... he's golden (brown), protected by the race card.

#213 2013-08-19 10:25:47

"Bearing in mind it is a new use of terrorism legislation to detain someone in these circumstances... I will write to the police to ask for the justification of the use of terrorism legislation - they may have a perfectly reasonable explanation."

Now that the NSA have provided us with new meanings for so many common words, this sort of action will henceforth be known as providing your Mr Miranda warning.

#214 2013-08-19 12:02:44

whosasailorthen wrote:

choad wrote:

Sadly, it kinda depends on which government.  If this were a Republican government it would have already been toppled (writ: Nixon).  But unfortunately there's nobody who will even attempt to take down The First Black President®... he's golden (brown), protected by the race card.

Sadly this isn't related to flavor of presidency we have been building towards this since the 70's

#216 2013-08-19 12:54:15

"and that's when things got out of control"

#217 2013-08-19 13:08:25

Emmeran wrote:

Sadly this isn't related to flavor of presidency we have been building towards this since the 70's

Sadly, you have to reach farther back than the divine right of kings to find the seeds of our imperial presidency.

https://cruelery.com/sidepic/emperorsnewclothes.png

So fictional ballot boxes and shameless despots are our new norm and sheeple children, there will be tears.

Last edited by choad (2013-08-19 13:17:31)

#218 2013-08-19 13:18:52

And the heavy boot comes down again.

Federal agents are investigating instructors who supposedly help applicants seeking US government jobs fib their way through lie-detector tests.

#219 2013-08-19 13:22:07

On the plus side they seem to be wiping out partisanship with amazing efficiency; they have literally offended everyone.  The only question then becomes:  Can we pull ourselves back from the brink?

#220 2013-08-19 13:34:17

This whole thing scares the hell out of my East European relatives... they've seen it all before, writ large.  They lost everything.  And the suffering lasted 45 years, with two or three full generations raised in it.

#221 2013-08-19 14:30:13

The normal course for amending the Constitution is for Congress to vote by a 2/3 majority for an amendment and then have the 3/4 of the states ratify it.  However, there is a provision in the Constitution for calling a constitutional convention without the consent of Congress. To do so, 2/3 of the state legislatures must agree to it.  Any amendments coming from the convention must then be ratified by 3/4 of the states.  Many conservatives are advocating for going this route and imposing term limits and fiscal responsibilities on members of Congress and strict limits on government's authority over our liberties.

I think it would be a good idea if we could keep the crazies out of the process.

#223 2013-08-19 16:14:58

I'm not sure guys but I'm not sure that having the Director of the CIA become President at one point then to later have the Secretary of Defense become VP well I think we can clearly identify the roots of this current situation.

Worst part is that I voted for both of them...

#224 2013-08-19 20:58:11

Teenagers are naturals at this. Which is how they get around the content filters that authorities place on their lives.

#225 2013-08-19 21:05:33

The logic of our days. Soon 2 plus 2 will equal 5 for you too.

The mood toughened just over a month ago, when I received a phone call from the centre of government telling me: "You've had your fun. Now we want the stuff back." There followed further meetings with shadowy Whitehall figures. The demand was the same: hand the Snowden material back or destroy it. I explained that we could not research and report on this subject if we complied with this request. The man from Whitehall looked mystified. "You've had your debate. There's no need to write any more."

During one of these meetings I asked directly whether the government would move to close down the Guardian's reporting through a legal route – by going to court to force the surrender of the material on which we were working. The official confirmed that, in the absence of handover or destruction, this was indeed the government's intention. Prior restraint, near impossible in the US, was now explicitly and imminently on the table in the UK. But my experience over WikiLeaks – the thumb drive and the first amendment – had already prepared me for this moment. I explained to the man from Whitehall about the nature of international collaborations and the way in which, these days, media organisations could take advantage of the most permissive legal environments. Bluntly, we did not have to do our reporting from London. Already most of the NSA stories were being reported and edited out of New York. And had it occurred to him that Greenwald lived in Brazil?

The man was unmoved. And so one of the more bizarre moments in the Guardian's long history occurred – with two GCHQ security experts overseeing the destruction of hard drives in the Guardian's basement just to make sure there was nothing in the mangled bits of metal which could possibly be of any interest to passing Chinese agents. "We can call off the black helicopters," joked one as we swept up the remains of a MacBook Pro.

#226 2013-08-20 14:56:05

https://cruelery.com/sidepic/theendisathand.png

~ click ~

The link above is not some 'noid sputtering agitprop. The US government's global surveillance is driving a wooden stake through what little remains of professional news gathering and I'm guessing if you haven't noticed this where you live, you're not paying attention.

#227 2013-08-20 18:12:33

choad wrote:

https://cruelery.com/sidepic/theendisathand.png

~ click ~

The link above is not some 'noid sputtering agitprop. The US government's global surveillance is driving a wooden stake through what little remains of professional news gathering and I'm guessing if you haven't noticed this where you live, you're not paying attention.

Listen to Eastern European people and how they speak.  Those born and raised during the oppressive Communist times - when everyone spied on everyone else - speak in a monotone... completely flat-affect. No inflection.  No facial changes.  They do not smile.  They are utterly flat and without emotion.  (Hell, you can even hear it in the classic 'Russian' TV cartoon characters like Boris Badanoff and Natasha Fatale.)  It's a fact, and if you've ever traveled to these formerly communist countries you'd know well of what I write.  That's how deep the impact was to the psyche of the average person.  It fundamentally changed them.

Now listen to those born since the freedoms.  They speak now with a lilt.. with inflection.. with facial expressions.  They smile in public.  They will wave to a baby.  They will hug in public.  They have no fear of being 'outed' and being slammed in a prison somewhere or sent to the uranium mines (as many of my relatives were).

We are not far away from the former... I'd venture to say, it's already here.  If someone says they are a Republican or a conservative many of you will immediately hate them and stop listening.  So they hide it.  They play happy families.  They go along, smile and say nothing.  Or they act like they are on the 'home team' to cover.   This is already happening BIGTIME in the schools - kids won't speak up with ideas that aren't currently politically correct.  My kids spent their entire school years hiding their feelings and opinions and only speaking privately about them with very trusted few friends of a like mind.  Speaking out openly would mean bad grades from (largely) liberal teachers and tacitly (or openly) condoned ridicule by their peers (some of whom were indeed faking outrage to provide cover for their own real opinions).  They wrote wonderful papers about how awful conservative values are and how wonderful liberal icons and ideals are.  And they didn't believe a word of it.

Look at the reaction on this very board.  Folks who speak out against the current flow are subject to disdain and marginalizing.  They're stupid. They're insane.  They're clearly not playing with a full deck. They are not worth listening to.

I'm sorry. 

I'll lead the elephant out of the room now.

Last edited by whosasailorthen (2013-08-20 18:23:04)

#228 2013-08-20 18:20:05

whosasailorthen wrote:

See now that's the deal with the far-right "conservatives", they are always seeing pink elephants everywhere they go.

Last edited by Emmeran (2013-08-20 18:20:33)

#229 2013-08-20 18:38:26

Emmeran wrote:

whosasailorthen wrote:

See now that's the deal with the far-right "conservatives", they are always seeing pink elephants everywhere they go.

As much as I appreciate the humor in your message, and I do, there's a nugget in there as well. 

Conservatives are very often described as 'far-right' or 'wing-nuts' even when it does not apply (and certainly does not in my case)... but it helps in marginalizing them better, doesn't it?  After all, if we can exaggerate someone's views to the point where they seem silly and over-the-top we can better ignore them as zealots or irrational beings.  One step from the funny farm. 

Oh, and that was another fun way to get rid of folks during the communist times - to send those who were 'unmutual' (with a nod to Number 2) to an insane asylum.  It happened a lot.

(Now we just send them to Florida.)

Last edited by whosasailorthen (2013-08-20 18:43:50)

#230 2013-08-20 18:44:09

Talk to the Tea Party my friend, those guys chased me out of the Republican ranks.

#231 2013-08-20 18:49:01

Emmeran wrote:

Talk to the Tea Party my friend, those guys chased me out of the Republican ranks.

I don't disagree, and in fact I think they were the death-knell for the Republicans.  Until the GOP can contain their ultra-conservative membership and start to internally find compromise, they will continue to fail miserably.  Far-right and far-left extreme wings of BOTH parties are the reason someone who is open to compromise cannot win a national contest.  And more's the worse for all of us.  It is the death of negotiation and reason.

#232 2013-08-20 19:12:23

whosasailorthen wrote:

If someone says they are a Republican or a conservative many of you will immediately hate them and stop listening.

whosasailorthen wrote:

Conservatives are very often described as 'far-right' or 'wing-nuts' even when it does not apply (and certainly does not in my case)... but it helps in marginalizing them better, doesn't it?  After all, if we can exaggerate someone's views to the point where they seem silly and over-the-top we can better ignore them as zealots or irrational beings.  One step from the funny farm.

Ah, the cry-baby shows itself. "Nobody likes me, everybody hates me so I'm going to eat some worms." I believe what I believe, but I'm not so arrogant that I'm convinced that no one else has better ideas. Debate and compromise are not dirty words, but the basis of democracy. I don't hate Republicans or conservatives, and I am willing to listen. Willing, that is, right up to the point that they start spouting ideological nonsense. I apply the same rule to Democrats and liberals, by the way.

The problem IS NOT that conservatives are very often described as 'far-right' or 'wing-nuts', but that far-right wingnuts have taken to calling themselves conservatives. The Republican party embraced Commie-baiting thugs in the 50's, chose to align itself with the worst racist scum in the 60's and then with various TV preachers and snake-handlers in the 80's. This was done in a bid to gain more votes because most people thought their policies were wrong. Now many R-people are surprised to find that their party leadership is overflowing with thugs, scum and zealots.

#233 2013-08-20 19:43:48

whosasailorthen wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

I don't disagree, and in fact I think they were the death-knell for the Republicans.  Until the GOP can contain their ultra-conservative membership and start to internally find compromise, they will continue to fail miserably.  Far-right and far-left extreme wings of BOTH parties are the reason someone who is open to compromise cannot win a national contest.  And more's the worse for all of us.  It is the death of negotiation and reason.

I will agree, but will add this:  The Democratic party is currently run by leftists.  This is the reason the TEA party and other far right groups have gained momentum.  They have sprung into prominence as a reaction to the administration's policies.

#234 2013-08-20 19:55:03

phreddy wrote:

whosasailorthen wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

I will agree, but will add this:  The Democratic party is currently run by leftists.  This is the reason the TEA party and other far right groups have gained momentum.  They have sprung into prominence as a reaction to the administration's policies.

Bullshit. The Democratic party is run by what would have been called moderate Republicans thirty years ago. The only thing about Obama the teabaggers react to his albedo.

#235 2013-08-20 22:37:41

"According to an NBC News report, an "overwhelmed" National Security Agency still isn't sure which files Edward Snowden took with him when he fled to Hong Kong more than two months ago."

https://cruelery.com/uploads/18_0a7adbd8-e2eb-4589-be12-b83955d7951d.jpg

HAAAAA ha ha ha ha ha!

#236 2013-08-20 23:35:04

Outside of the obvious issues we are supposed to be shocked that out-sourcing our intelligence work to contractors has bit us in the ass?

Last edited by Emmeran (2013-08-20 23:36:18)

#237 2013-08-22 01:06:01

Judge John Bates wrote:

The sheer volume of transactions acquired by NSA through its upstream collection is such that any meaningful review of the entire body of the transactions is not feasible. As a result, the Court cannot know for certain the number of wholly domestic communications acquired through this collection, nor can it know the number of non-target communications acquired or the extent to which those communications are to or from United States persons or persons in the United States... it is impossible to define with any specificity the universe of transactions that will be acquired by NSA's upstream collection at any point in the future.

In keeping with the Administration's dedication to transparency, it only took a year-long lawsuit to get this out in the open.

#238 2013-08-24 17:35:04

http://i.imgur.com/eL4x6xe.jpg

#239 2013-08-24 19:46:15

Dianne Feinstein wrote:

As I have said previously, the committee has never identified an instance in which the NSA has intentionally abused its authority to conduct surveillance for inappropriate purposes.

Keith Alexander wrote:

The assumption is our people are just out there wheeling and dealing. Nothing could be further from the truth. We have tremendous oversight over these programs.

Well, maybe they did after all.

#240 2013-08-27 22:59:51

Those journalists reporting on classified documents are traitors!  At least, when they're not me.

A thousand more potential leakers -- never say never again.

With friends like U.S., who needs enemies?

#241 2013-08-28 00:18:57

square wrote:

Those journalists reporting on classified documents are traitors!  At least, when they're not me.

A thousand more potential leakers -- never say never again.

With friends like U.S., who needs enemies?

Outsourcing strikes again!  Driven by privatization greed our national security has been completely compromised, unlike many others Snowden just went public instead of secretly selling it for top dollar.

Mind you I support Snowden's action but happily piss on Manning's betrayal.

#242 2013-08-28 01:25:45

To Gen X, a job for life with the NSA was a probably-impossible dream — it's what their parents told them to expect, but few of their number achieved. To Gen Y the idea of a job for life is ludicrous and/or impossible.

This means the NSA and their fellow swimmers in the acronym soup of the intelligence-industrial complex are increasingly reliant on nomadic contractor employees, and increasingly subject to staff churn. There is an emerging need to security-clear vast numbers of temporary/transient workers ... and workers with no intrinsic sense of loyalty to the organization.

#244 2013-08-28 10:49:18

A short history lesson on how we got to Prism

According to hundreds of pages of FBI files, the bureau:

Collected, without court order, personal information about Savio from schools, telephone companies, utility firms and banks and compiled information about his marriage and divorce.

Monitored his day-to-day activities by using informants planted in political groups, covertly contacting his neighbors, landlords and employers, and having agents pose as professors, journalists and activists to interview him and his wife.

Obtained his tax returns from the Internal Revenue Service in violation of federal rules, mischaracterized him as a threat to the president and arranged for the CIA and foreign intelligence agencies to investigate him when he and his family travelled in Europe.

Put him on an unauthorized list of people to be detained without judicial warrant in event of a national emergency, and designated him as a "Key Activist" whose political activities should be "disrupted" and "neutralized" under the bureau's illegal counterintelligence program known as COINTELPRO.

#245 2013-08-28 14:43:45

I drove to Berkeley to listen to Savio speak.  His message, which sounded pretty radical, was quite tame by today's standards.  He had a running feud with the university's president, Clark Kerr.  I recall that four floors of one dorm had huge letters taped to the inside of the windows which read:

Freedom
Under
Clark
Kerr

Saying Fuck in public was pretty bold back then.  In the days of J. Edgar Hoover, the FBI took any hint of Communist activity very seriously.  They came looking for me when I was just a kid handing out leaflets in support of Kennedy for president.  Apparently, the organization I volunteered for was on their list.

#246 2013-08-28 16:51:00

phreddy wrote:

They came looking for me when I was just a kid handing out leaflets in support of Kennedy for president.  Apparently, the organization I volunteered for was on their list.

Good think you weren't handing out Fair Play for Cuba Committee leaflets.  You should see what happened to the last guy.

http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/12cb2bb54eef.gif

#247 2013-08-28 17:34:37

https://cruelery.com/uploads/13_wanted_journalists.jpg

#248 2013-08-28 17:48:46

whosasailorthen wrote:

Good think you weren't handing out Fair Play for Cuba Committee leaflets.  You should see what happened to the last guy.

http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/ … b54eef.gif

Where is that guy when we really need him?

#249 2013-08-28 18:43:02

phreddy wrote:

whosasailorthen wrote:

Careful.  The internets have big ears.

#250 2013-08-28 18:49:45

whosasailorthen wrote:

phreddy wrote:

whosasailorthen wrote:

Careful.  The internets have big ears.

You should have seen what I wrote before I toned it down. Seriously!

• Home
  •  » High Street
  •  » The Bush-Obama-Trump Whitehouse - Your privacy down the shitter

Board footer

cruelery.com