• Home
  •  » High Street
  •  » The Bush-Obama-Trump Whitehouse - Your privacy down the shitter

#252 2013-08-29 17:12:32

and the panic continues:  http://www.omaha.com/article/20130829/N … s-students

Last edited by Emmeran (2013-08-29 17:26:59)

#253 2013-08-29 21:06:39

Eric Arthur Blair, 1903-1950

“If you want to keep a secret, you must also hide it from yourself.”

“He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.”

“If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face—for ever.”

“War is peace. Freedom is slavery.  Ignorance is strength.”

“Big Brother is Watching You.”

“Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one’s mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them.”

“Until they became conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious.”

“The choice for mankind lies between freedom and happiness and for the great bulk of mankind, happiness is better.”

“The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power, pure power.”

“Power is in tearing human minds to pieces and putting them together again in new shapes of your own choosing.”

“Orthodoxy means not thinking–not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.”

“For, after all, how do we know that two and two make four? Or that the force of gravity works? Or that the past is unchangeable? If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable – what then?”

“Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power”

#255 2013-08-29 22:28:38

I always am amazed at the contortions of logic that the bureaucracy subjects us to when explaining how the accounting of the money that we choose to give them for spying on ourselves is itself a secret that they can't share with the very people paying the bill.

#256 2013-08-29 23:16:59

GooberMcNutly wrote:

I always am amazed at the contortions of logic that the bureaucracy subjects us to when explaining how the accounting of the money that we choose to give them for spying on ourselves is itself a secret that they can't share with the very people paying the bill.

“Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one’s mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them.”

(This is attributed to George Orwell's 1984 but if I'm not mistaken F Scott Fitzgerald wrote the same thing earlier but viewed it as intelligence, not doublethink, delusion or in his case, delirium tremens.)

#258 2013-09-02 07:21:13

Look on the bright side guys - now we know where all of our fucking money went!

#260 2013-09-04 19:43:08

#262 2013-09-06 11:29:58

I love the implied threat.

Before You Opt-Out, Consider This:
Opting out of Acxiom's online and/or offline marketing data will not prevent you from receiving marketing materials. Instead of receiving ads that are relevant to your interests, you will see more generic ads with no information to tailor content. For example, instead of getting a great offer on a hotel package in your favorite vacation spot, you might see an ad for the latest, greatest weight loss solution.

#263 2013-09-06 15:04:55

I've developed a habit of making my last shopping search of the day something that I don't mind seeing in the ad's; for example if I'm buying something for my daughter I will afterwards go shop for chainsaws.  I'm just not that interested in seeing ad's for ladies shoes after all, this way I get to see ad's for chainsaws and axes.

Even though IE10 defaults to "do not follow" they seem to have worked their way around it already, but then again they are motivated by money.

#266 2013-09-11 22:21:25

XregnaR wrote:

I'll just put this here - http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-6-weird … since-911/

The video you posted of the former jarhead from NH made the same point better.

Someday I hope you'll explain the evolution of your thinking on this fuckery because I know you weren't prepared to believe it 10 years ago. Jesus. Ten years is even harder to believe, isn't it?

#267 2013-09-11 22:28:45

choad wrote:

XregnaR wrote:

I'll just put this here - http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-6-weird … since-911/

The video you posted of the former jarhead from NH made the same point better.

Someday I hope you'll explain the evolution of your thinking on this fuckery because I know you weren't prepared to believe it 10 years ago. Jesus. Ten years is even harder to believe, isn't it?

We all knew it back then but ten years ago we didn't want to believe and even if we thought it might be happening we didn't want to be thought of as conspiracy idiots.

Fuck, who are the idiots now?

#268 2013-09-12 10:08:50

Well, watching us devolve into a barely veiled police state was something of an eye opener.

As for what I personally believed 10 years ago, I still believe some of it today.  I am still the naive ex mil-spec dude who wants to find the bad guys of the world and kick their teeth in.  I think that some of what we did was, on the face of it, for the right reasons.  But I also think that like shooting, boxing, tennis and other blood sports, if you don't follow through properly, the end result is all fucked up.

when I talk to some of my former compatriots who stayed in, I hear about the good, bad and ugly of what has been going on in Iraq, AFghanistan, the Philippines, etc.  When I look at the news and politicians, all I see is lies and manipulation.....

My kids are a better reminder of how fast time passes, but yeah, 10 years.  Holy shit.  Say, isn't the 10 year anniversary gift tin foil (in hat form)?

Edit-

And Em, no matter how much we were resistant to believe some of the conspiracies back then, take comfort in knowing that everything that Kathy posts is still batshit crazy.

Last edited by XregnaR (2013-09-12 10:10:00)

#270 2013-09-14 06:00:28

XregnaR wrote:

Well, watching us devolve into a barely veiled police state was something of an eye opener.

I recall telling you about a friend deployed during the opening salvos Iraqi's shock and awe, and the cash pallet loads of millions he helped distribute while contractors skimmed and grunts on the ground remained all but naked, all to feed the imperial ambitions of chickenhawk fuckwits. Still believe in good guy, bad guy, huh? Ah well.

#271 2013-09-14 10:29:00

choad wrote:

XregnaR wrote:

I recall telling you about a friend deployed during the opening salvos Iraqi's shock and awe, and the cash pallet loads of millions he helped distribute while contractors skimmed and grunts on the ground remained all but naked, all to feed the imperial ambitions of chickenhawk fuckwits. Still believe in good guy, bad guy, huh? Ah well.

Innocence, much like a girls virginity, is very seldom surrendered without a prolonged personal struggle.  I hold it against no man to continue to hope that things just aren't the way they are and I'll not say I told you so when the cherry pops.

#273 2013-09-14 17:41:27

https://cruelery.com/uploads/13_fingerprint_phone.gif

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#274 2013-09-14 17:44:41

Emmeran wrote:

We all knew it back then but ten years ago we didn't want to believe and even if we thought it might be happening we didn't want to be thought of as conspiracy idiots.

Ten years ago?  Young man, some saw it coming many more years before that.  I am not surprised by much.

#275 2013-09-15 09:07:17

More obvious intrusions, I hope the liked that FC St. Pauli shirt I bought; I guess the "You'll never walk alone" slogan on it was quite correct.

#276 2013-09-15 14:03:47

Oops, somebody forgot to classify the design of the Information Dominance Center. Here it is on the architect's webpage

I wonder if we can chip in and buy  choad one of those particular Aeron office chairs as military surplus?

#278 2013-09-17 10:49:27

Here's another little tidbit.  The stench from the Behghazi coverup is beginning to reek. 

A CIA employee who refused to sign a non-disclosure agreement barring him from discussing the Sept. 11, 2012 terrorist attack in Benghazi, Libya, has been suspended as a result and forced to hire legal counsel, according to a top House lawmaker.

#279 2013-09-17 12:47:03

phreddy wrote:

Here's another little tidbit.  The stench from the Behghazi coverup is beginning to reek. 

A CIA employee who refused to sign a non-disclosure agreement barring him from discussing the Sept. 11, 2012 terrorist attack in Benghazi, Libya, has been suspended as a result and forced to hire legal counsel, according to a top House lawmaker.

The most frightening part is that none of this has anything to do with the administration, the powers that manage this stuff appear to be beyond control at this point.  Putting a political spin on this detracts from the real problem of bureaucrats' out of control.

#280 2013-09-17 14:14:50

Emmeran wrote:

phreddy wrote:

The most frightening part is that none of this has anything to do with the administration, the powers that manage this stuff appear to be beyond control at this point.  Putting a political spin on this detracts from the real problem of bureaucrats' out of control.

Normally, I would agree with you, but in this case, I believe the coverup goes right to the top.  The bureaucrats are being intimidated to hide Hillary's incompetence for not responding to the ambassador's pleas for more security.  And there is no way Obama would take the heat for telling the armed forces to stand down during the attack if some underling had given the order.  He had to have made that decision.

#281 2013-09-17 16:44:49

phreddy wrote:

Normally, I would agree with you, but in this case, I believe the coverup goes right to the top.  The bureaucrats are being intimidated to hide Hillary's incompetence for not responding to the ambassador's pleas for more security.  And there is no way Obama would take the heat for telling the armed forces to stand down during the attack if some underling had given the order.  He had to have made that decision.

Give it a rest, you know there is no way possible that the so called "Stand Down" order came from on high.  It came from the local commander who knew the logistical situation of the area.  Yes we could have launched a B-2 strike out of Kansas but it would have taken 18 hours to get there, which would have been 17 hours too late.  It's simple physics buddy - the reason there wasn't support is that there weren't assets available to make a difference in time.

Now if you want to claim that the Ambassador was sent there to be killed as part of an murder plot then you (and Kathy) might have an arguable point, none of the rest of the concepts work out when you do the simple math.  It's basic reality dude, those guys were dead before they even woke the Marines, had there been more troops on the spot we would only have a higher body count.

Look at it this way - the guy was under the protection of the real-life equivalent of Chuck Norris and Steven Segal and he still got dead.  The antagonists put on and executed a great plan, this shit happens.  We lose sometimes; fucking deal with it.

**Reminder, the politico's only have "go/no go" decisions and only on strategic matters; everything else is handled by the local commanders.  Besides I thought we already settled the fact that this was a CIA screw up.

Last edited by Emmeran (2013-09-17 16:48:10)

#282 2013-09-18 00:38:07

Back on topic...

Not even Tintin is safe.

Security experts suspect the Belgian biz was infiltrated by state-backed hackers - and NSA and GCHQ have emerged as the prime suspects. Journalists in Belgium - writing here, here, here, and here - cite sources who reckon Belgacom’s systems may have been compromised for two years by a foreign intelligence agency.

Edit: it was the Brits.

Last edited by square (2013-09-22 19:48:16)

#283 2013-09-20 01:01:36

Can somebody explain to the NSA that Snowden has merely done to the NSA what the NSA has been doing to U.S. citizens and business for decades? Snowden deceitfully ignored the legally binding promises he made to the NSA; the NSA similarly runs roughshod over both the letter and the spirit of surveillance legislation (and systematically lies about it, something Snowden doesn’t do).

Plus: Congratulations, assholes, you broke the Internet.

#284 2013-09-20 23:30:08

This essay pretty well sums it up.

We have learned that in pursuit of its bureaucratic mission to obtain signals intelligence in a pervasively networked world, the NSA has mounted a systematic campaign against the foundations of American power: constitutional checks and balances, technological leadership, and market entrepreneurship. The NSA scandal is no longer about privacy, or a particular violation of constitutional or legislative obligations. The American body politic is suffering a severe case of auto-immune disease: our defense system is attacking other critical systems of our body. . . .

What did we actually know about what we got in exchange for undermining internet security, technology markets, internet social capital, and the American constitutional order? The intelligence establishment grew by billions of dollars; thousands of employees; and power within the executive. And we the people? Not so much. Court documents released this week show that after its first three years of operation, the best the intelligence establishment could show the judge overseeing the program was that it had led to opening "three new preliminary investigations". This showing, noted Judge Walton in his opinion, "does not seem very significant".

If this was the best the intelligence community could put on the table when it faced the risk of judicial sanction, we can assume that all the hand-waving without hard, observable, testable facts is magician's patter, aimed to protect the fruits of a decade's worth of bureaucratic expansionism. Claims that secrecy prevents the priesthood from presenting such testable proof appeal to a doctrine of occult infallibility that we cannot afford to accept.

Meanwhile, the NSA is sticking its fingers in its ears and telling itself that it's really made up of the good guys because... they're just good, that's why.

#287 2013-09-24 01:42:15

NSA has a job opening.

The NSA Civil Liberties & Privacy Officer (CLPO) is conceived as a completely new role, combining the separate responsibilities of NSA's existing Civil Liberties and Privacy (CL/P) protection programs under a single official. The CLPO will serve as the primary advisor to the Director of NSA for ensuring that privacy is protected and civil liberties are maintained by all of NSA's missions, programs, policies and technologies.

#288 2013-09-24 05:58:38

square wrote:

NSA has a job opening.

The NSA Civil Liberties & Privacy Officer (CLPO) is conceived as a completely new role, combining the separate responsibilities of NSA's existing Civil Liberties and Privacy (CL/P) protection programs under a single official. The CLPO will serve as the primary advisor to the Director of NSA for ensuring that privacy is protected and civil liberties are maintained by all of NSA's missions, programs, policies and technologies.

I nominate Lewis Black.

http://www.indiancomedian.com/258_LEWIS_BLACK_angry.jpg

#291 2013-09-27 09:32:54

2013-09-26: "The NSA leadership built an intelligence data collection system that repeatedly deceived the American people. Time and time again the American people were told one thing in a public forum, while intelligence agencies did something else in private."

Wyden and his fellow Democrat Mark Udall used the public hearing to press the intelligence chiefs on aspects of the top-secret surveillance infrastructure.

Asked by Udall whether it was the NSA's aim to collect the records of all Americans, Alexander replied: "I believe it is in the nation's best interest to put all the phone records into a lockbox – yes."

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/s … -committee

#295 2013-09-30 20:41:39

At the moment I am enjoying bulgogi, beer and cannabis.  The spooks have always tried to find an angle.  Business as usual is my experience.

Last edited by MSG Tripps (2013-09-30 20:45:10)

#296 2013-10-01 00:51:09

Watch where your footsteps lead...

"The Marina metadata application tracks a user's browser experience, gathers contact information/content and develops summaries of target," the analysts' guide explains. "This tool offers the ability to export the data in a variety of formats, as well as create various charts to assist in pattern-of-life development."

The guide goes on to explain Marina's unique capability: "Of the more distinguishing features, Marina has the ability to look back on the last 365 days' worth of DNI metadata seen by the Sigint collection system, regardless whether or not it was tasked for collection."

#297 2013-10-01 01:08:56

I believe that the NSA (etc) collects more data then they have the personnel to analyze regardless of the logarithms they may use to collect said data.

#298 2013-10-01 01:49:20

MSG Tripps wrote:

I believe that the NSA (etc) collects more data then they have the personnel to analyze regardless of the logarithms they may use to collect said data.

I wish that were true but the big data technology makes me ponder.

#299 2013-10-01 19:19:43

No need to worry about all those spooks watching your every move.  Obama has hand picked a special task force to investigate and stop this nonsense.  The fact that they are all his stooges and they report to James Clapper, his Director of National Intelligence shouldn't bother you.  I mean, just because Clapper was already caught lying to Congress about this mess.

The members of the review group are Richard Clarke, the chief counterterrorism adviser on the National Security Council for Clinton who later worked for Republican President George W. Bush; Michael Morell, Obama’s former deputy CIA director; law professor Geoffrey Stone, who has raised money for Obama and spearheads a committee hoping to build Obama’s presidential library in Chicago; law professor Cass Sunstein, administrator of information and regulatory affairs for Obama; and Peter Swire, a former Office of Management and Budget privacy director for Clinton.

#300 2013-10-02 00:02:06

Snowden nominated by the European Parliament for the Sakharov Prize for Freedom of Thought.

• Home
  •  » High Street
  •  » The Bush-Obama-Trump Whitehouse - Your privacy down the shitter

Board footer

cruelery.com