• Home
  •  » High Street
  •  » The Bush-Obama-Trump Whitehouse - Your privacy down the shitter

#302 2013-10-03 01:33:50

#307 2013-10-10 04:52:38

Well, it's no surprise how the review panel assesses the importance of its work.

#308 2013-10-10 05:37:30

“I simply thought that it was inappropriate for our group to continue working while the vast majority of the men and women of the intelligence community are being forced to remain off the job,” Michael Morell, a board member and a former CIA director, told Politico.

#310 2013-10-11 23:14:29

Now I wonder: does the government have a talking bear?

#311 2013-10-12 01:01:41

Now there's another surprise.  Again the reason I do a search for something that will have more palatable ads before I log off, it came as an accidental lesson from my daughter - she was buying hair products using my login and suddenly every fucking ad I saw was for girly shit.

#316 2013-10-19 21:20:10

So...  None of this shit hit your radar before there was a digital foot print?

#317 2013-10-19 22:31:13

MSG Tripps wrote:

I turn 60 next year and got my first ATM card in 1971. Define before and after.

Last edited by choad (2013-10-19 22:34:35)

#318 2013-10-19 22:32:39

MSG Tripps wrote:

Nah, I worked to close to the sun for too fucking long to think anything different, I assumed we all knew it was a given.  Hell DARPA invented and built the internet during the cold war - what the fuck did anyone really expect?  That doesn't change the fact that it's still fucking annoying as hell.

#319 2013-10-21 06:26:38

The intercepts were apparently triggered by certain key words

Yep, apparently the fact that they were scanning phone calls and texts for key words isn't all that alarming to the media anymore...

#320 2013-10-21 07:06:13

Emmeran wrote:

Hell DARPA invented and built the internet during the cold war - what the fuck did anyone really expect?

Probably not what you think. The next link is a must read for every one who can type.

http://www.amazon.com/Where-Wizards-Sta … 0684832674

#321 2013-10-21 07:18:39

choad wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

Hell DARPA invented and built the internet during the cold war - what the fuck did anyone really expect?

Probably not what you think. The next link is a must read for every one who can type.

http://www.amazon.com/Where-Wizards-Sta … 0684832674

So basically this book is trying to sell the concept that the internet was founded by a door-to-door soap salesman?

#322 2013-10-21 07:33:39

Read it and see, knucklehead.

#323 2013-10-21 09:38:04

Oh yes - the joys of VoIP.

#324 2013-10-22 22:50:35

Not really privacy, but another example of the state of oversight.

The vote slipped by unnoticed by most, but on close inspection, it revealed previously unreleased documents that lift the lid on an unusual standoff between Congress and the Obama Administration’s C.I.A. At its core is a bitter disagreement over an apparently devastating, and still secret, report by the Senate Intelligence Committee documenting in detail how the C.I.A.’s brutalization of terror suspects during the Bush years was unnecessary, ineffective, and deceptively sold to Congress, the White House, the Justice Department, and the public. The report threatens to definitively refute former C.I.A. personnel who have defended the program’s integrity. But so far, to the consternation of several members of the Intelligence Committee, the Obama Administration, like Bush’s before it, is keeping the damning details from public view.

#325 2013-10-23 02:07:51

square wrote:

Not really privacy, but another example of the state of oversight.

The vote slipped by unnoticed by most, but on close inspection, it revealed previously unreleased documents that lift the lid on an unusual standoff between Congress and the Obama Administration’s C.I.A. At its core is a bitter disagreement over an apparently devastating, and still secret, report by the Senate Intelligence Committee documenting in detail how the C.I.A.’s brutalization of terror suspects during the Bush years was unnecessary, ineffective, and deceptively sold to Congress, the White House, the Justice Department, and the public. The report threatens to definitively refute former C.I.A. personnel who have defended the program’s integrity. But so far, to the consternation of several members of the Intelligence Committee, the Obama Administration, like Bush’s before it, is keeping the damning details from public view.

I don't know why, it's not as if that's a secret.

#326 2013-10-26 00:06:48

Old Europe isn't happy with recent news.

The European Parliament has voted to halt the Terrorist Finance Tracking Program (TFTP), an agreement to share data on financial transactions in the Continent with the US – after documents leaked by Edward Snowden showed the NSA was hacking the system anyway.

. . . According to prolific whistleblower Snowden, Uncle Sam's spies pwned the SWIFT system, as well as those of other financial providers including Visa, and is busy slurping up credit card records and other information on selected targets.

Also, some revelations that will surely be decried as invasion of privacy.

#327 2013-10-26 08:31:29

And a happy 12th Anniversary to the Patriot Act.

#329 2013-10-26 15:59:36

Dmtdust wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/27/us/federal-prosecutors-in-a-policy-shift-cite-warrantless-wiretaps-as-evidence.html?_r=0

Mr. Verrilli last year urged the Supreme Court to dismiss the case because those plaintiffs could not prove that they had been wiretapped. In making that argument, he said a defendant who faced evidence derived from the law would have proper legal standing and would be notified, so dismissing the lawsuit by Amnesty International would not close the door to judicial review of the 2008 law. The court accepted that logic, voting 5-to-4 to dismiss the case

Ooops, sorry about that - everybody was being illegally tapped.

#331 2013-10-29 04:15:07

We'll just keep this as our little secret from the boss: the spirit of J. Edgar lives.

Based on interviews with US officials, the paper said that "President Barack Obama went nearly five years without knowing his own spies were bugging the phones of world leaders. Officials said the NSA has so many eavesdropping operations under way that it wouldn’t have been practical to brief him on all of them."

Looks more and more like Keith Alexander will have to draw from the Hoover playbook if he wants to keep his job into 2014.

#332 2013-10-29 11:43:17

square wrote:

We'll just keep this as our little secret from the boss: the spirit of J. Edgar lives.

Based on interviews with US officials, the paper said that "President Barack Obama went nearly five years without knowing his own spies were bugging the phones of world leaders. Officials said the NSA has so many eavesdropping operations under way that it wouldn’t have been practical to brief him on all of them."

Looks more and more like Keith Alexander will have to draw from the Hoover playbook if he wants to keep his job into 2014.

I know nussing, I see nussing.
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120220050807/familyguy/images/7/76/SgtShultz.png

#333 2013-10-29 12:01:25

LOL!

#335 2013-11-09 02:08:40

I just read that earlier.  Warms the cockles of my heart.

#336 2013-11-09 10:19:35

This coming from the company that reads your emails and searches in order to spam you with adverts and build a digital dossier on you to sell to everyone including the governments, hypocrisy appears to be the word of the day.

#337 2013-11-12 11:25:19

More Homeland hijinks.  Coming to a city near you.

Strange new off-white boxes popping up in downtown Seattle use wi-fi networks that can record the last 1,000 locations of a person using their cellphone’s MAC address

#338 2013-11-12 12:19:32

phreddy wrote:

More Homeland hijinks.  Coming to a city near you.

Strange new off-white boxes popping up in downtown Seattle use wi-fi networks that can record the last 1,000 locations of a person using their cellphone’s MAC address

But don't you want to be safe Phreddy?

Think about Boston buddy, someone could blow you up with a big boom!  I think you are just being un-American, see if they know where you are all the time then they can, umm, they can make you safer!!

Last edited by Emmeran (2013-11-12 12:20:18)

#339 2013-11-12 20:16:42

This makes me glad I have never been attached to my cell phone. I most often just leave it at home when I go out. If someone needs me so badly, they can call me at work. Otherwise, I will talk to them later. And of course since I really don't care for it much, it is not a smart phone so has no GPS or other properties which are useless to me.

#340 2013-11-12 20:26:46

doesyourpussyhurt wrote:

And of course since I really don't care for it much, it is not a smart phone so has no GPS or other properties which are useless to me.

Unless you yank the battery or the SIM, your movements are still recorded.

#341 2013-11-12 20:49:38

I counter these efforts by making my life boring and uneventful.

#343 2013-11-13 03:55:35

Removing the SIM card won't help; cell phones without them can be used to make emergency 911 calls and will happily associate with any base station, real or fake.  To avoid all tracking, you must turn the phone off or, if you're truly paranoid, remove the battery.

#344 2013-11-13 04:52:31

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  An overwhelming majority of us think it's nobody.

Even spook-friendly congresscritters are shying away.

#345 2013-11-13 06:15:45

Oh I don't know, do you think the existence of a "Secret Court" bothers people that much?

#346 2013-11-13 08:19:48

choad wrote:

doesyourpussyhurt wrote:

And of course since I really don't care for it much, it is not a smart phone so has no GPS or other properties which are useless to me.

Unless you yank the battery or the SIM, your movements are still recorded.

It sits on a desk in my home. My movements are not usually anywhere near that desk. So no, it actually doesn't. And this phone is really old. I seriously doubt it has any of the necessary technology to track me, not that this would be the reason I don't carry it everywhere. I just don't see any reason to carry it with me for the possibility of a phone call I might miss but will get at a later time.

#347 2013-11-13 09:10:02

This all ignores the fact that if any person with any brains were involved in heinous activities they would use a pre-paid burner phone paid for with cash at the local swap meet.  Only an idiot would engage in illegal activities with a branded phone.

Ergo, they either are chasing idiots or snooping on every day folks; frankly chasing idiots would appear to be as frustrating of a task as catching a greased pig.  Snooping on every day folks on the other hand would appear on the surface to be even more inane.  However it could just be a money grab, a contract tossed to someone's friend or relative...

Last edited by Emmeran (2013-11-13 09:12:11)

#348 2013-11-21 01:24:34

Following the law is just too hard.

The lapdog barks a little.

#349 2013-11-21 06:57:27

Three degrees of separation

The NSA has been using the UK data to conduct so-called "pattern of life" or "contact-chaining" analyses, under which the agency can look up to three "hops" away from a target of interest – examining the communications of a friend of a friend of a friend. Guardian analysis suggests three hops for a typical Facebook user could pull the data of more than 5 million people into the dragnet.

So if you do the math you can figure out that with modern social & communications networks every single one of us is being tracked.   Hi NSA!!   =)

Last edited by Emmeran (2013-11-21 06:58:07)

• Home
  •  » High Street
  •  » The Bush-Obama-Trump Whitehouse - Your privacy down the shitter

Board footer

cruelery.com