• Home
  •  » High Street
  •  » Why is the GOP really against Obamacare? Because it might succeed.

#51 2013-10-05 05:14:01

MSG Tripps wrote:

Zombie Elvis wrote:

You may not be aware of it, but your country is a fucking laughing stock when it comes to your medical system and Obamacare in particular.

The population of Australia is 23,236,647.  The population of the USA is 316,789,000.  If an Aussie can, do the math.

Thank you Capt. Non Sequitur. I'm sure that means something to you.

Are you trying to say that the US of A is too large to ever have a hope of reaching a consensus on anything as modern as equal rights and social equity? Perhaps it's time to exercise your 2nd amendment rights, take out a bunch of tyrants, discover that the Revolutionaries V2.0 can't actually work together, degenerating into Civil War V2.0. Then you can split into about 20-30 different cuntries with proper border controls; the more enlightened states can then start to build an alliance along the lines of the EU, inviting in the others as they prove themselves functional, rational and capable of working together towards the common good.

#52 2013-10-05 06:03:41

Don't be mean to the poor little guy, ZE. Someone who can't understand that more people paying into the pool means that more money is available is deserving of your pity. Maybe America isn't so much exceptional as special after all.

#53 2013-10-05 08:44:11

Rep. Mark Meadows (R-N.C.) initiated a formal letter, endorsed by around 80 of his House GOP colleagues, vowing to oppose any spending measure that failed to gut the Affordable Care Act. When asked why the House doesn't just vote on "a full CR if you don't care about Obamacare anymore," Rep. Meadows replied:

"Because it, twofold. One is, is, that when you when you start to look, they say 'clean CR?' That it, it translates into into to truly a blank check, and, and so Obamacare is an issue for me and my constituents, but what happens is today is, we gotta figure a way to open it back up and, and with that, in opening it back up, when we start to look at these issues, it, it is critical that we make it, the decisions we, we make to be as least harmful as they possibly can be."

Who could argue with that?

#54 2013-10-05 18:34:10

I know it's cyclical, but right now the Republican Party is the major impediment to anything getting done in this country.  Between trying end runs to circumvent anything they don't like that's already signed into law, to throwing up roadblocks against any legislation that moves us out of the 19th Century.  Well done, GOP, well done!

#55 2013-10-05 22:13:47

Zombie Elvis wrote:

choad wrote:

Zombie Elvis wrote:

To be clear, I am saying I payed nothing else.

You suck.

Thanks mate.

For all its poisonous predators, you seem to have an occasionally functioning democracy, along with your own exported corruptions. Think "Australian ballot". Gerry Mander hailed from here, this district.

I especially like Australia's 'national garage sale day' idea.

#56 2013-10-05 22:52:25

choad wrote:

Wait, aren't Garage Sales just a way of moving worthless shit from house to house?

#57 2013-10-05 23:18:54

Emmeran wrote:

choad wrote:

Wait, aren't Garage Sales just a way of moving worthless shit from house to house?

Let me point out that one man's worthless shit is another man's duly-elected Representative, just to nudge the thread back onto topic.

In Japan we have Big Garbage Day, when every household in the neighborhood puts large items out for collection. Most people put theirs out a day or two in advance so others can take anything that they might need. I have a desk, a drafting table with a machine attached, fine wooden cabinets (tansu), a foot-powered sewing machine complete with accessories and a pair of studio monitors that are worth at least ten times what I paid for my whole stereo setup including the original speakers. After weeks of fruitless searching in shops I also found the perfect set of handlebars for my SR-500 that way.

#58 2013-10-08 04:13:03

choad wrote:

For all its poisonous predators, you seem to have an occasionally functioning democracy, along with your own exported corruptions. Think "Australian ballot". Gerry Mander hailed from here, this district.

I've never heard of Garage Sale day. Then again, it looks like it was invented in Bondi - a zone famous for having drunks, brain-dead sun-worshippers and assorted self-aggrandising wankers who haven't got the sense to avoid that over-crowded tourist trap.

The democracy has had a hard time functioning recently. Last government was hampered by a slightly hostile senate, and an opposition that very willingly applied Hitler's Big Lie theory. Surprisingly, they didn't deliver on too many promises, and have suffered a massive landslide loss in the house of Reps (much like your Congress). Strangely enough, the senate is even more hostile this round, with a lot of comedy independents taking the balance of power. My theory is that it's a consequence of the twisted aussie sense of humour: vote red in the reps and blue (or pink, or black, or polka-dot or ....) in the senate and watch the sparks fly. Actually, that's been happening recently state-side too - what's up wit' dat?

The preferential voting system is hard to pick holes in. I think the only down-side is that it makes stupid people suspicious that a giant vote-rigging trick is being played upon them - and that can't be a bad thing!

http://24.media.tumblr.com/6f7791f7b110bbf75b83012017d2625c/tumblr_mk6n2lE8o11r4zr2vo1_500.gif

Last edited by Zombie Elvis (2013-10-08 04:37:34)

• Home
  •  » High Street
  •  » Why is the GOP really against Obamacare? Because it might succeed.

Board footer

cruelery.com