#1 2013-11-20 14:30:58

Never too early to give a little thanks.

https://cruelery.com/uploads/359_chagrin_falls_thanksgiving.jpg

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#2 2013-11-20 18:38:40

https://cruelery.com/sidepic/gobblegobble.png

Fuck. That time of year again?

I hitchhike escaped onerous kid duty here often and the most reliable rides were always draftees from the local air base, most a long way from home and waiting to ship out. There was always beer on ice in the back seat and their missions were uniformly aimless. For some reason, they always asked directions to Plymouth so they could piss on The Rock.

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#3 2013-11-20 20:55:09

Something still makes me want to firebomb any store open on Thanksgiving day (other than the booze and smokes shop of course...). We should all be at home, fighting with our family, getting drunk and watching football as God intended!

#4 2013-11-20 22:40:20

Easter. Now that's a holiday to hate. Everything's closed and you have to dress up in some kind of Spring church fashion to take pictures. Worst yet, the oldies want to drag you down to "Sunrise Service." Hey! There's only one thing in my mind that ever needs a "Sunrise Service" and it definitely doesn't involve folding chairs in a church parking lot. To add to the misery, you have to eat ham. I love where one religion never eats ham to honor God and my religion force feeds the shit down my throat right at swimming pool season.

Last edited by Banjo (2013-11-20 22:45:31)

#5 2013-11-21 00:43:34

You're all wet, Banjo. Easter photos are the best ever illustration of domestic drama, discomfort and dysfunction. Look through your photo album again, you'll see.

#6 2013-11-21 18:08:42

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Something still makes me want to firebomb any store open on Thanksgiving day (other than the booze and smokes shop of course...). We should all be at home, fighting with our family, getting drunk and watching football as God intended!

Retail workers are among the lowest paid workers in American.  I'm sure plenty of them appreciate extra hours, especially it if comes at time and a half.

#8 2013-11-23 08:45:41

Banjo wrote:

Easter. Now that's a holiday to hate. Everything's closed and you have to dress up in some kind of Spring church fashion to take pictures. Worst yet, the oldies want to drag you down to "Sunrise Service." Hey! There's only one thing in my mind that ever needs a "Sunrise Service" and it definitely doesn't involve folding chairs in a church parking lot. To add to the misery, you have to eat ham. I love where one religion never eats ham to honor God and my religion force feeds the shit down my throat right at swimming pool season.

The ham, while vile (though I LOVE good potato salad), does not perplex me as much as the tradition of eating lamb at Easter.  That just seems...sick, somehow.  Also, lamb tastes like shit.

#9 2013-11-23 08:54:59

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-n … g-the-bird

edit: Comedy Central auto run function is untameable.

Last edited by choad (2013-11-26 22:51:36)

#10 2013-11-23 09:12:43

George Orr wrote:

The ham, while vile (though I LOVE good potato salad), does not perplex me as much as the tradition of eating lamb at Easter.  That just seems...sick, somehow.  Also, lamb tastes like shit.

Are you sure you're eating the right part of the lamb?

#11 2013-11-23 09:30:47

Tall Paul wrote:

George Orr wrote:

I've eaten mutton (never again), lamb chops several times (nasty) and leg of lamb twice.  Once the leg of lamb was palatable, but only because it tasted nearly like beef.
Lamb/mutton has a bitter, nearly-rotten undertaste that I do not care for.

#12 2013-11-23 09:32:05

It's apparent some people in this world think cooking Ham or Turkey is like a penis thinking that bigger is always better; bigger is better sometimes but only if you know what you're doing, in the end it almost always comes down to preparation, technique and skill.

Last edited by Emmeran (2013-11-23 09:32:37)

#13 2013-11-23 10:01:42

George Orr wrote:

Tall Paul wrote:

George Orr wrote:

I've eaten mutton (never again), lamb chops several times (nasty) and leg of lamb twice.  Once the leg of lamb was palatable, but only because it tasted nearly like beef.

That's too bad. Well kept and well cooked sheep parts are a real joy but they can turn nasty if not handled properly. But if you don't like it, then there's nothing more to be said. Tell you what: You eat my beets and I'll eat your lamb.

#14 2013-11-23 10:15:16

Tall Paul wrote:

You eat my beets

Oh god do I hate beets, at least turnips can be grilled into a somewhat edible form - but fucking beets are a scourge.

#15 2013-11-23 10:37:43

Emmeran wrote:

Tall Paul wrote:

You eat my beets

Oh god do I hate beets, at least turnips can be grilled into a somewhat edible form - but fucking beets are a scourge.

Turnip root is fucking disgusting.  I am Southern so I will occasionally eat turnip greens; they're good with vinegar and some cornbread on the side.
You can do nice things w/ beets, but they take quite a bit of prep.  Husband™ made borscht once--between baking the beets, grating the beets, etc. etc. it took an entire afternoon (but was quite tasty).  We like 'em pickled as a side for pork chops.  I keep meaning to try them baked like potatoes but never get around to it.

#16 2013-11-23 10:39:58

As for the shortage of huge turkeys, since the reports keep stressing it's a shortage of "fresh" oversized turkeys I suspect there is some kind of storage/distribution problem somewhere. 
If you need that much turkey to feed your guests, buy two runty ones--or buy one whole turkey and a breast; nobody likes the dark meat anyway, amirite?

#17 2013-11-23 11:29:54

George Orr wrote:

As for the shortage of huge turkeys, since the reports keep stressing it's a shortage of "fresh" oversized turkeys I suspect there is some kind of storage/distribution problem somewhere. 
If you need that much turkey to feed your guests, buy two runty ones--or buy one whole turkey and a breast; nobody likes the dark meat anyway, amirite?

You are right. I keep my dark meat on the south side of the mashed potatoes.

#18 2013-11-23 18:39:58

#19 2013-11-23 19:23:02

Banjo wrote:

George Orr wrote:

Dark meat has enough flavor to stand up to gravy and stuffing, white meat might as well be white bread for all the flavor contribution it makes once the cranberry sauce comes into play.

#20 2013-11-24 09:27:55

Tall Paul wrote:

Banjo wrote:

George Orr wrote:

Dark meat has enough flavor to stand up to gravy and stuffing, white meat might as well be white bread for all the flavor contribution it makes once the cranberry sauce comes into play.

If that is true it is not being cooked properly.  Hmph.

#21 2013-11-24 14:35:54

George Orr wrote:

Tall Paul wrote:

George Orr wrote:

Someone has done you a great disservice.  Lamb when cooked properly is quite amazing.

#22 2013-11-24 19:30:16

If we ever have a HS dinner party I'll make lamb chops that will knock your bra around to the back. Then I'll post pictures.

#23 2013-11-25 17:59:05

http://www.nataliedee.com/112513/MW-mmmmmmmm-so-good.jpg

#24 2013-11-26 15:20:08

Happy Twerky Day

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/2013-11/enhanced/webdr05/25/13/anigif_enhanced-buzz-26912-1385402793-20.gif

Board footer

cruelery.com