#2 2014-03-31 14:09:56

The perfect storm when a defendant with lots of money meets a liberal judge who believes the humiliation of prison life is worse than child molestation.

#3 2014-03-31 16:52:58

I don't believe this is a matter of liberal vs conservative, as much as it is a matter of caste. Both liberals and conservatives have shown themselves willing to take money to shield members of the upper class from the consequences of their actions. A low class kneegrow who did this would spend the rest of his life getting raped in a for profit prison, which the upper class molester probably owns stock in.

#4 2014-03-31 17:19:57

fnord wrote:

I don't believe this is a matter of liberal vs conservative, as much as it is a matter of caste. Both liberals and conservatives have shown themselves willing to take money to shield members of the upper class from the consequences of their actions. A low class kneegrow who did this would spend the rest of his life getting raped in a for profit prison, which the upper class molester probably owns stock in.

I have no doubt that money buys better legal representation, but I doubt a conservative judge would have let him slide, regardless of his legal team's talent.

#5 2014-03-31 18:50:23

Privilege noun.  From the Latin privilegium  meaning Private Law.

#6 2014-03-31 19:35:42

phreddy wrote:

fnord wrote:

I have no doubt that money buys better legal representation, but I doubt a conservative judge would have let him slide, regardless of his legal team's talent.

Do you mean the same sort of conservative judge who rules that deeply held convictions should supersede established law? And after all, fucking family members is a deeply honored tradition in some of our most conservative states.  It's not as if he aborted a fetus or confiscated a gun... Conservative/liberal is just one axis on the graph and I doubt it entered into this decision, the wealthy/poor axis was far more germane.

#7 2014-03-31 20:51:02

Baywolfe wrote:

That nails it.

#8 2014-03-31 21:49:43

Baywolfe wrote:

Private operates above the law, like Greek gods hovering above the earth on their own private Mt. Olympus. Greek gods broke the rules and the laws but the one thing they respected was power and influence.

Last edited by choad (2014-03-31 21:56:15)

#10 2014-04-10 22:20:13

So basically the Judge said this is bullshit but I'm being forced to do it and Phreddy then tries to twist it into a political issue.  Great, we get a sack of shit getting a free ride because he has money backed up by our own private Tea Partier blaming politics instead of admitting to the reality of our fucked up money bought system.

#11 2014-04-10 23:11:07

God I hate this.

#12 2014-04-10 23:38:57

Dmtdust wrote:

God I hate this.

The worst bit is that what we've got here in the US of A is about as good as it gets in this world of ours...

#13 2014-04-11 07:37:09

Emmeran wrote:

Dmtdust wrote:

God I hate this.

The worst bit is that what we've got here in the US of A is about as good as it gets in this world of ours...

Oh aren't you all sunshine and roses...

#14 2014-04-11 08:01:28

I dunno Dusty's excuse but our weather sucks. We're entitled.

https://cruelery.com/sidepic/rayofsunshine.png

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#15 2014-04-11 08:29:51

#17 2014-05-10 20:09:32

https://cruelery.com/sidepic/getoutofjailfree.png

~ click ~

#18 2014-05-14 22:34:56

https://cruelery.com/sidepic/gumby.png

“A mandatory power and privilege training... for every incoming Harvard Kennedy School of Government student starting August 2014.”   

“The exercise of public leadership ...requires an honest assessment of structural power dynamics, of in-group and out-group dynamics, and of privilege."

#20 2014-05-20 16:50:44

Ya know, I feel like a complete ass for getting even one DUI (particularly since I wasn't driving).  WTF is seven DUI's about?

#21 2014-05-21 14:26:28

Emmeran wrote:

Ya know, I feel like a complete ass for getting even one DUI (particularly since I wasn't driving).  WTF is seven DUI's about?

An actual physical/psychological illness.  And he's too rich for anybody to force him to do anything about it. 

DWI Penalties should escalate like they do in the NFL.  For the First one, if nobody gets hurt, should be a slap on the wrist and a small fine after having your day in court.  The Seventh should be Life in Prison without Parole, and the forfeiture of all your assets, first being distributed as compensation to anybody hurt from their actions, and the rest goes to the State.  No alternate sentencing.

#22 2014-05-21 20:03:12

Baywolfe wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

An actual physical/psychological illness.  And he's too rich for anybody to force him to do anything about it. 

DWI Penalties should escalate like they do in the NFL.  For the First one, if nobody gets hurt, should be a slap on the wrist and a small fine after having your day in court.  The Seventh should be Life in Prison without Parole, and the forfeiture of all your assets, first being distributed as compensation to anybody hurt from their actions, and the rest goes to the State.  No alternate sentencing.

It's that way in most states already, if you're not rich.

Board footer

cruelery.com