#1 2014-08-29 11:02:03

I had to bail on the Facebook group.

It strikes me as an exceptionally unwise idea to pair this crowd's love of dark humored and twisted Internet content with Facebook's insistence on real names and Mark Zuckerberg's love of tracking every move we make online.

The "Seen By" tracking on each post is enough to disqualify any of us from gainful employment in decent society.

#2 2014-08-29 12:09:13

It's a closed group Daddy; if you look at the seen by, it only lists other members of the group. Your friends aren't able to see that you're a member of the group when they look at your profile.  I am however concerned by Mark Zuckerberg's competition with the NSA over who can gather the most information on members of the public.

#3 2014-08-29 13:21:18

Imagine the scenario of the man who created "Cruel.com & Drudgeretort" being intimidated by possible FB tracking... Surely I am living in an alternate universe if this actually happened.

#4 2014-08-29 14:51:47

With Facebook's policy of expose first and inform second I to choose to err on the side of caution, the primary income streams for FB are focused around selling your personal info - trust them at your peril.  I, myself, shall err on the side of caution.

#5 2014-08-29 18:42:48

Oh, no no.  I'm very, very careful about what I say and link to on FB.  I don't want to opt out completely, because a lot of my family members are on FB, and they live very far away, and I like being able to keep up with their doings.

As for High-Street stuff, what's wrong with socializing here?

#6 2014-08-29 21:44:43

Yeah, I'm not too keen on mixing my HS activity and my FB activity, and I can't see a reason to... as Georgie noted, I can socialize here if need be.

#7 2014-08-30 00:46:00

George Orr wrote:

Oh, no no.  I'm very, very careful about what I say and link to on FB.  I don't want to opt out completely, because a lot of my family members are on FB, and they live very far away, and I like being able to keep up with their doings.

As for High-Street stuff, what's wrong with socializing here?

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/sm/custom/k/g/e809584e71.jpg

#8 2014-08-30 12:06:43

I liked hanging out there, but anything someone posts on the group will have your name in the "seen by" list forever, and all you have to do to end up on it is scroll down the wall.

Let's say some teen's sexting video goes viral because it's funny and/or scandalous. Do you really want to be logged somewhere as having seen it when the video could be criminal to view?

#9 2014-08-30 12:49:32

Nothing like that was ever put up there, and the policy was not to have anything like that on the page.

Last edited by Dmtdust (2014-08-30 12:50:53)

#10 2014-08-31 06:54:20

rcade wrote:

It strikes me as an exceptionally unwise idea to pair this crowd's love of dark humored and twisted Internet content with Facebook's insistence on real names and Mark Zuckerberg's love of tracking every move we make online.

Your recent bbs work history redaction was too hasty, or you've entirely forgot why anyone who mastered errorlevel exits launched their own system in the first place. You decide what the world sees.

Zuckerberg is no more than an irritating posterchild of the larger, all encompassing issue of privacy. You were general assignment for a while, right? Cut your teeth covering school board and council meetings, police blotter and obit rewrites? Imagine if you had that job now.

Between 2008 and 2012 I flushed almost every elected official and the police chief here out of public office  simply by wandering door to door around a village block at the crack of noon, barefoot in all weather, to collect a week's worth of riveting news in 15 minutes.  The town spent $150,000 or more in tax revenue trying to shut me up and I felt like a demented kid again. I even got to ask the Pantload-In-Chief on video if he was still beating his wife. Never again, but a lovely parting gift all the same.

Each and every one of my former sources assumes, maybe correctly, my communications are tapped and they will say nothing more. For good or ill, I'm done.

#11 2014-09-01 14:47:49

Dmtdust: There was an image in a post that convinced me it was a bad idea. While I can agree that the policy is to avoid that, I don't like the "seen-by" concept at all in a forum where edgy material is the subject matter.

#12 2014-09-01 15:52:46

was it an image put there by Pale?

#13 2014-09-01 16:07:39

Can't remember. It was a Rule 34 joke.

#14 2014-09-01 16:46:46

Oh that was Pale. yeah, not to my taste either.

#15 2014-09-01 22:51:27

Yes, that image was disgusting. I'm OK with beheadings, adult babies reaching into their diapers for art supplies, M&M Mini-Tube fun and games, lesbians slurping shit out of a cup, and assorted other weirdness, but that was a bit much even for me.

#16 2014-09-01 23:05:50

Do tell.

#17 2014-09-02 10:43:36

Why not create a fake FB profile for stuff like this?  I have one only because I have to have a private page to have a business page.  However it isn't my real name and I have it set to complete barren isolation so no one can post shit to my wall or anything at all.

I have several friends that have family FB pages and then other ones with nicknames or whatnot so they can talk about all the weed they smoke.

#18 2014-09-02 22:02:15

Scotty wrote:

I have several friends that have family FB pages and then other ones with nicknames or whatnot so they can talk about all the weed they smoke.

Zuckerberg, the NSA and Gawd knows who else can access all of it instantly, and are likely fapping over someone's private business as we type.

#19 2014-09-03 00:24:21

George Orr wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Zuckerberg, the NSA and Gawd knows who else can access all of it instantly, and are likely fapping over someone's private business as we type.

Probably none of ours, though, because in the grand scheme of things none of us is fapworthy.

#20 2014-09-03 01:18:41

tojo2000 wrote:

George Orr wrote:

Probably none of ours, though, because in the grand scheme of things none of us is fapworthy.

Some of the women here, I recall, could disrupt street traffic but you're right, most of us are on the back nine, declawed and house broken. Solid citizens. Good Germans. Obedient consumers. Sheeple, even... until we become business competitors, political adversaries or whistle blowers. Then it's good night Vienna and we're fucked. Guantánamo bunkmates? For refuseniks like us, because we're special, and unreeducable, they'll probably find some place colder.

#21 2014-09-28 05:10:05

I'm beginning to wonder about FB as well. To think that I have lived long enough to be called a yankee by the pale, washed-out wraith of a former high-streeter.... If he were still here we could debate the relative merits of Colorado and Baja Sonora in a calm and respectful manner.

Last edited by Tall Paul (2014-09-28 05:36:20)

#22 2014-09-29 16:37:11

Everyone who asks to befriend me on my real FB page gets the same response.  "I am friending you, but note that my profile has zero true information about me and I only check in once a week at the most.  If you want to contact me, do not send me a FB message and expect a response.  Send me an email or, better yet, call me."

#23 2014-09-29 20:39:55

People who send me a friend request are always met by the same response, a total and complete silence. It has been eleven months since I even bothered to log on. It is the only way to deal with that. Didn't someone here say the fad was over?

#24 2014-09-30 04:18:15

Is anything more cruel and annoying than gloating about your absolute ignorance?

Let's see!

I've never seen Facebook. Evar. Early proprietary dialup services cured that curiosity 30 years ago. Can you recall Prodigy without gagging?

I have dispatched my minions to screenshot and scrape ill-advised Facebitch pitcher posts for local amusement.

And I have gleefully collected overly-attached-girlfriend / disgruntled-stalker stories for an as yet untitled horror novel.

From the outside looking in, fb is a rabid matriarchy. My all-time fave facebitch story, one I've documented more than a dozen times, is the doting boyfriend/husband who designs his sweetheart's new page and she promptly defriends him. That never grows old.

Finally, I don't negotiate with tourists. I smoke them out of their hidey-holes.

#25 2014-09-30 06:22:28

From what I can tell FB does hold the distinction of getting more people (re-)laid than any software EVAR!!!

So it can't be all bad, I might give it a try someday.

#26 2014-09-30 22:23:41

Heh, 

No need to gloat at my gloating. But never stop calling it like you see it. Looking at in another way world ruled by women looking out for opportunities to entertain getting (re)laid can't be all bad. Raging matriarchy it may be and such. At least till your number comes up to be defriended. Just keep trucking on after all.

Board footer

cruelery.com