#2 2014-11-11 20:18:05

Sure, this sounds much better.   Just to prove counseling works, I suggest the released prisoner spends his first weekend of freedom with the Governor and his family.  This way the people in the neighborhood where the homicidal maniac is eventually released can sleep easier.

#3 2014-11-12 06:07:23

phreddy wrote:

Sure, this sounds much better.   Just to prove counseling works, I suggest the released prisoner spends his first weekend of freedom with the Governor and his family.  This way the people in the neighborhood where the homicidal maniac is eventually released can sleep easier.

Phreddy go back and try reading the article, the problem was release to the streets straight from solitary.  That coupled with the fact he kept saying he was going to kill people just didn't work out so well.

Basically the gist is

About 30 percent of all state prison inmates have been diagnosed with a mental illness, and the percentage is higher in solitary confinement.

“We’ve got to do some serious, deep thinking about our handling of the mentally ill,” Lux said. “We have to have some answer for them other than just putting them in solitary confinement and just forgetting about them.”

Basically this solidly Red state is starting to undo some of the Reagan fuckups cuz the shit just didn't work.

#4 2014-11-12 06:47:44

I'll just drop these here. They are somewhat related to the original post.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/11/opini … ef=opinion

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/violen … 1643807529

#5 2014-11-13 16:16:21

nfidelbastard wrote:

I'll just drop these here. They are somewhat related to the original post.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/11/opini … ef=opinion

And it’s true that these hospitals, including the one where I work, are hellish. But not because the patients are restrained. In fact, it’s the opposite. Patients, even violent ones, are often given a shocking amount of freedom. As a consequence, every day, across the country, these hospitals record dozens of assaults by patients against staff members and other patients — a situation that, thanks to expanded patients’ rights laws and state health bureaucracies, we can do almost nothing about.

Hey, I have an idea.  Solitary confinement.

#6 2014-11-13 16:36:14

phreddy wrote:

Hey, I have an idea.  Solitary confinement.

Hey, I have an idea.  Make the people we pay to solve the problem actually solve the fucking problem.

Legislators, cops, doctors & rights defenders should all get their shit together and fix the problem.  This is what we pay them for.

...and yes Phreddy the whack-job psychopaths still get to have rights.  However their actions do force us to limit their rights for the "Greater good".  So as much as we'd like to say throw away the key we all have to remember that each of us is just one virus or brain tumor away from being a temporary whack job ourselves.

{troll}
I understand as a right-wing whack job yourself you could never understand these concepts but the rest of us have hope for an eventual cure and don't want to write you off for good.
{/troll}

#7 2014-11-17 18:21:29

Em wrote:

...and yes Phreddy the whack-job psychopaths still get to have rights.  However their actions do force us to limit their rights for the "Greater good".  So as much as we'd like to say throw away the key we all have to remember that each of us is just one virus or brain tumor away from being a temporary whack job ourselves.

Very noble Em.  Except you're not the one who has to deal with these people on a daily basis.  Call me a right wing whack job, but I still believe homicidal maniacs need to be locked up for everyone's good, including their own.

#8 2014-11-17 18:53:43

phreddy wrote:

Em wrote:

Very noble Em.  Except you're not the one who has to deal with these people on a daily basis.  Call me a right wing whack job, but I still believe homicidal maniacs need to be locked up for everyone's good, including their own.

But that's the argument buddy, he wasn't locked up correctly.  We can and should do better and usually at a lesser cost.

This fucker didn't belong on the streets but because he was part of the penal system he had to be released.  As part of the mental health system he can be held indefinitely because he poses a distinct danger to society.  The problem is your average voter doesn't want to take time to research these things, call it Huxleyism in motion, and they will vote for the low hanging fruit even if it is counter to their best finances and interests.  Many politicians will feed off of that to win votes, so you end up with what we got here in the situation.

Board footer

cruelery.com