#1 2014-12-21 14:10:15

For best effect, go to full screen.

#2 2014-12-21 15:12:12

Fid

Some times you feel sorry for them... sometimes...

#3 2014-12-22 21:24:49

Why is our guy's aim so fucking bad?

..."Deconflict."  Heh.

Looking at that terrain, I can understand why Afghanistan has been the defeat of so many empires.

#4 2014-12-22 22:05:07

George Orr wrote:

You've heard the old saying that close is good enough in horse shoes and hand grenades.  Well, you can add 20 and 40 mm cannon rounds to that truism.  They carry explosive charges.

#5 2014-12-23 07:18:41

George Orr wrote:

The weapon is a "Area" weapon and not designed for pin point accuracy, the ability to adjust for windage is minimal also.  Keep in mind that the firing platform (a helicopter) is all shaky and jiggly to start with and it really starts to jump around when the weapon is fired.

And as Phredd pointed out, it is a 20mm or 30mm cannon (depending on the airship) shooting High Explosive rounds so it's really not necessary to hit them directly.

#6 2014-12-23 07:31:54

Shaky and jiggly is an advantage, it sort of spreads the love around to those who need it the most.

#7 2014-12-23 09:19:06

True and it's also true that when we loaded and installed the gun in the Cobra's we just eye-ball sighted it, there wasn't a need or desire for any sort of sighting tool.

#8 2014-12-23 12:13:51

The computer is doing most of the locating anyway.

#9 2014-12-24 01:13:43

Too many of them running away after a few dozen 30mm rounds, and I'm not seeing a good reason for rounds hitting 5 meters off the FLIR crosshairs. Anyway, the 30mm was intended to take on Soviet AFV's and such. In this application, a 7.65 gatling would be better. Not to mention using a $110K Hellfire to take out one guy.

Last edited by sigmoid freud (2014-12-24 01:18:32)

#10 2014-12-24 09:17:41

sigmoid freud wrote:

Too many of them running away after a few dozen 30mm rounds, and I'm not seeing a good reason for rounds hitting 5 meters off the FLIR crosshairs. Anyway, the 30mm was intended to take on Soviet AFV's and such. In this application, a 7.65 gatling would be better. Not to mention using a $110K Hellfire to take out one guy.

The Military-Industrial Complex frowns upon your critique of their use of ordinance.

#11 2014-12-24 09:50:41

Baywolfe wrote:

The Military-Industrial Complex frowns upon your critique of their use of ordinance.

Ok so they don't like the ordinance, but they don't seem to mind critique of the ordnance so long as it's expended.

#12 2014-12-24 10:10:37

sigmoid freud wrote:

Not to mention using a $110K Hellfire to take out one guy.

I thought the same thing as soon as I saw it. I cried when I saw my taxes at work there.

#13 2014-12-24 14:05:46

Banjo wrote:

sigmoid freud wrote:

Not to mention using a $110K Hellfire to take out one guy.

I thought the same thing as soon as I saw it. I cried when I saw my taxes at work there.

Unless there has been a serious price increase, AGM-114 doesn't cost anywhere near that much.  However a radical price increase wouldn't surprise me much at all.

However to be realistic, on a whirlybird, the Hellfire is the only precision munition available; everything else - guns & rockets are manually sighted and not a part of the guidance systems (including FLIR).  Again, everything else is point and shoot without computer guidance, useful for area denial but not for pinpoint kills.  Just because you see the action via FLIR doesn't mean there is active guidance involved.  Helicopters are NOT a survivable platform in a contested free-fire zone.  Protocol in a contested zone calls for "Pop & Shoot" unguided CAS or OTH missile strikes with 3rd party targeting.

ISIS has a crap load of Sudden SAM's which is why we are striking with high speed/high altitude platforms, anyone venturing down into "Sudden SAM" altitude stands a very high chance of becoming a flag kit - just ask that dude from Jordan.

Board footer

cruelery.com