#1 2015-12-07 13:05:18

#2 2015-12-07 21:14:52

Here's a badly-kept secret from one who was raised fundamentalist down in the buckle of the Bible Belt:
Christianity is no longer widely practiced in this country.  It hasn't been for at least a generation now.
Actual Christian faith has largely been replaced by simple, pig-ignorant peasant superstition.
There are still true faithful everywhere; but the attendees of prosperity-gospel mega-churches who strut and grunt about this being a "Christian nation" do not know their Bible--the book they claim is the word of God, the one we're all supposed to live by.  They could not recognize one single Bible verse if their fucking lives depended on it.
They've never even cracked the spine.  They rely on their ministers to "interpret" the holy word for them.

Gawd, this year has sucked.  I am turning into a sour old lady, sourer by the hour.

#3 2015-12-08 05:22:28

So you're having doubts about the most violent religion of all time?  Reconquista anyone?

#4 2015-12-08 07:58:41

Emmeran wrote:

So you're having doubts about the most violent religion of all time?  Reconquista anyone?

Religion just supplies an "acceptable" outlet for the nature of our species.  Same as war.

#5 2015-12-08 10:12:09

I've always viewed religion as the smart guy who could figure out parlor tricks way to gain power in the tribe.  As opposed to the politician who could out talk everyone or the warrior who could beat them up.

In the end it all turns out to be a grab for the best food, mate and house.

#6 2015-12-08 12:37:05

Emmeran wrote:

I've always viewed religion as the smart guy who could figure out parlor tricks way to gain power in the tribe.  As opposed to the politician who could out talk everyone or the warrior who could beat them up.

In the end it all turns out to be a grab for the best food, mate and house.

I can verify this. I live in an old church and it makes a nice home in the best part of town.

#7 2015-12-08 18:10:32

George Orr wrote:

Here's a badly-kept secret from one who was raised fundamentalist down in the buckle of the Bible Belt:
Christianity is no longer widely practiced in this country.  It hasn't been for at least a generation now.
Actual Christian faith has largely been replaced by simple, pig-ignorant peasant superstition.
There are still true faithful everywhere; but the attendees of prosperity-gospel mega-churches who strut and grunt about this being a "Christian nation" do not know their Bible--the book they claim is the word of God, the one we're all supposed to live by.  They could not recognize one single Bible verse if their fucking lives depended on it.
They've never even cracked the spine.  They rely on their ministers to "interpret" the holy word for them.

Gawd, this year has sucked.  I am turning into a sour old lady, sourer by the hour.

They're mostly Judeo-Christians since they spend most of their time quoting the Old Testament instead of their supposed "savior".  We're becoming a nation ruled by trailer park trash.

#8 2015-12-08 20:44:44

Baywolfe wrote:

They're mostly Judeo-Christians since they spend most of their time quoting the Old Testament instead of their supposed "savior".  We're becoming a nation ruled by trailer park trash.

So true. I really like most of the red letter parts of the New Testament. Then they tacked Paul's crap on at the end and ruined what could have been a decent religion.

#9 2015-12-09 13:24:19

nfidelbastard wrote:

Baywolfe wrote:

So true. I really like most of the red letter parts of the New Testament. Then they tacked Paul's crap on at the end and ruined what could have been a decent religion.

Back when I cared about that sort of thing, it was pointed out on more than one occasion that Paul's writings appeared to be from somebody that had absolutely no knowledge of Jesus.  Ah well, we don't really know who wrote any of it anyway.

#10 2015-12-09 18:11:16

Baywolfe wrote:

Back when I cared about that sort of thing, it was pointed out on more than one occasion that Paul's writings appeared to be from somebody that had absolutely no knowledge of Jesus.  Ah well, we don't really know who wrote any of it anyway.

Odd.... most of what my relatives post on Face Book about Jesus has that same quality.

#11 2015-12-09 19:03:45

Tall Paul wrote:

Odd.... most of what my relatives post on Face Book about Jesus has that same quality.

Now I'm confused, are you now saying that Jesus didn't have sex with dinosaurs?

#12 2015-12-09 20:06:29

Emmeran wrote:

Tall Paul wrote:

No, I'm saying nearly all of the Jeebus-spam and half of the comments I get from a certain branch of my family tree demonstrate a profound ignorance of religion and morals in general and Christianity in particular.

#13 2015-12-10 14:25:21

Tall Paul wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

Tall Paul wrote:

No, I'm saying nearly all of the Jeebus-spam and half of the comments I get from a certain branch of my family tree demonstrate a profound ignorance of religion and morals in general and Christianity in particular.

To wit:

Jesus said to love your enemies, and pray for those that spitefully use you.

Jesus said to count it a blessing when you're persecuted and to always turn the other cheek.

Jesus said to come out from among the "sinners" and live lives that will make people wonder what it is about you that makes you so happy.

Jesus's Brother James said that Pure Religion was to help Widows and Orphans in their affliction.

We only have to read a posting from a member of the religious right to know how 180 degrees they are on those subjects.

#14 2015-12-14 09:59:41

When facts aren't having any effect, win virtually any "current events" argument with the fund/evangelical, by simply quoting Jesus.  Works every time.

Last edited by JetRx (2015-12-14 10:02:04)

Board footer

cruelery.com