#2 2017-02-16 14:53:47

Would dovetail nicely with the rejuvenation of another era. 

Parts 1-3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBMj-96hols
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLuKXOVnzhE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yBePJrKmws

Last edited by JetRx (2017-02-16 23:16:16)

#6 2017-05-12 21:01:56

"The cumulative capacity of India's solar grid at the end of March 2016 was 6.76 gigawatts. As of 6 April 2017, the country's solar grid had a cumulative capacity of 12.28 GW." - Wikipedia

Barring some unforeseen catastrophe, India is going to kick all our asses in the next 50 years.  I prefer that it be them rather than China.

#7 2017-05-12 22:33:18

17 percent of the world population in a country about 1/3 the size of the United States.  They need every advantage they can get their hands on.

#9 2017-05-13 19:07:15

Awesome.

#10 2017-05-13 19:12:30

Melons and I are in, we need to do the roof soon anyway.

#11 2017-05-13 19:49:30

Emmeran wrote:

Melons and I are in, we need to do the roof soon anyway.

DO EET.
We had our roof done last year.  The Fed govt. has some nice incentives (get 'em 'fore the Repubs wipe 'em out) but sadly I don't know the details.  Our city govt. also has a hefty rebate, and even the power company kicked in some money.
But I'm sure that whatever sales reps you get in touch with will have allllll the details for ya.
Get it done before it catches on and all these rebates & tax breaks get taken away.

#12 2017-05-31 07:12:55

The winds of change are blowing

Beverage makers like Coca-Cola already pay a few cents more for bottles made from plant-based materials, which won’t add to the growing plastic soup in our oceans.

#15 2017-06-07 10:38:47

Emmeran wrote:

Follow the money

To no one's surprise, Texas provides no subsidies for homeowners who want to go solar.  They're fine helping companies that want to sell it to us, then they can just sell more fuel based energy out of state.

#17 2017-06-16 09:36:57

Emmeran wrote:

Follow the money

Watching that slideshow I still see about 100 times too much manual labor in the manufacturing process. It's the same thing I see in domestic solar manufacturing, lots of people working with soldering irons and carefully moving parts around. If you want to get it cheap, really cheap, you have to automate it a lot more, even by Asian standards of manpower costs. It should be hoppers of sand at one end and solar panels at the other and 5 guys in the factory.

And one of the main reasons that I can see people in southeast Asia and the developing world (like India) so fired up about solar isn't because it's a socially and ecologically better alternative, it's because fossil fuels are expensive, utility taxes are outrageous and power distribution is spotty even in many developed regions and delivered at the whim of the ruling party du jour. At least with a solar panel and a battery you have predictable outages and nobody is taxing or withholding your amps when the political winds blow differently.

#18 2017-06-16 09:49:08

Well naturally the treehuggers are going to resist us paneling the deserts but jeez that resource and the fact that desertification can be somewhat reversed with shade should make it highly more attractive than a tortoise and a lizard for every 5 sq miles.

#19 2017-06-18 18:40:36

Emmeran wrote:

Well naturally the treehuggers are going to resist us paneling the deserts but jeez that resource and the fact that desertification can be somewhat reversed with shade should make it highly more attractive than a tortoise and a lizard for every 5 sq miles.

I used to work with a guy who grew up in AZ and could wax poetic about the beauty of his home territory.  I know some people can see beauty there.

I grew up in the Appalachian foothills, and I fucking hate the desert.  There is nothing alive there, and the few things that are alive are ugly and full of poison.
Panel the whole fucking thing for all I care; at least then there'd be shade.

#24 2017-07-05 09:26:35

Hydrazine is incredibly toxic, that's why they used to foam down the Space Shuttle after it landed.  Congrats to the Netherlands but not sure this is viable in large cities.

#25 2017-07-05 09:39:08

Baywolfe wrote:

Hydrazine is incredibly toxic, that's why they used to foam down the Space Shuttle after it landed.  Congrats to the Netherlands but not sure this is viable in large cities.

One of the reasons I like posting shit here, I know absolute diddly-squat about chemistry.

#26 2017-07-07 06:28:06

Ignition!: An Informal History of Liquid Rocket Propellants

It [chlorine trifluoride] is, of course, extremely toxic, but that's the least of the problem.  It is hypergolic with every known fuel, and so rapidly hypergolic that no ignition delay has ever been measured.  It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water - with which it reacts explosively.

#27 2017-07-07 09:34:06

That's a great read. I've bookmarked it to come back to later, some good stories in there. I've a relation that was instrumental in the development of mass quantities of H2O2 for propulsion that we "stole" from the krauts as they could make it at 1/10th the cost we could at that time. Another relative worked with fuel regulation for Westinghouse (as a side line from blast furnace design) until co-opted to work on the Westinghouse nuclear reactor.

#28 2017-07-07 11:58:35

GooberMcNutly wrote:

Another relative worked with fuel regulation for Westinghouse (as a side line from blast furnace design) until co-opted to work on the Westinghouse nuclear reactor.

The have an office right here in Downtown Dallas.

#29 2017-07-07 13:20:43

GooberMcNutly wrote:

That's a great read.

I had places to go, people to meet and that blew up my morning.

#31 2017-07-12 20:41:21

My uncle has a country place
That no one knows about
He says it used to be a farm
Before the Motor Law

Credits - ALEX ZIVOJINOVICH, GARY LEE WEINRIB, NEIL ELWOOD PEART
Discography - Spirit Of The Radio

Last edited by Emmeran (2017-07-12 20:44:37)

#32 2017-07-28 16:55:50

Peak Demand

The end of a pipeline.

Last edited by Emmeran (2017-07-28 16:56:41)

#34 2017-09-14 13:57:02

The electric yacht.

#35 2017-09-14 14:07:19

Ridiculous and useless power density except as a tender. For that purpose,  the market is crowded  with better bling and tech for the buck. can't beat the value of petroleum's energy density when you need a massive amount of portable power. At least till fuel cells come along.

#36 2017-09-14 15:09:02

Johnny_Rotten wrote:

Ridiculous and useless power density except as a tender. For that purpose,  the market is crowded  with better bling and tech for the buck. can't beat the value of petroleum's energy density when you need a massive amount of portable power. At least till fuel cells come along.

I'm tired of half measures. They promised it, and I'm holding out. The Jetsons had one fifty some years ago:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Nucleon

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e8/Ford_Nucleon.jpg
Ford Nucleon

#37 2017-09-14 15:55:08

https://cruelery.com/img/jetsons.choadachrome.png

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#38 2017-09-14 16:09:04

Emmeran wrote:

The electric yacht.

Well, Hinkley finally found a way to make their boats cost *more*. Any vehicle that's designed to operate primarily in salt water should have as *few* critical electrical systems as possible. But then again, the kind of people that will buy it will make that someone else's problem.

#39 2017-09-21 17:53:20

Making money where the money is made, tipping points are something like this.

#41 2017-09-26 17:19:28

That's not a boon for the timber industry, that's a boon for the adhesive industry.

#42 2017-09-29 14:48:46

Tesla capitalizes

This is an obvious move, it accelerates the shift to solar/battery.  In return Tesla gets appreciative loyalty and knock on sales for upgrades/replacements.  I fully expect they will offer cell phone repeaters in some of these rural packets in the future if not SatCom internet links.  This would allow them to out facebook Facebook, perhaps even out roku Roku.

#43 2017-09-29 15:36:04

As long as they don't rely on the Puertoricenos to install or maintain them, they will be golden. But it's starting to look like a good investment if you suffer in sunny climes.

It worked for phone companies. I'm sure that's the model Elon is aiming for, owning the whole infrastructure.

#44 2017-09-29 16:48:05

GooberMcNutly wrote:

It worked for phone companies. I'm sure that's the model Elon is aiming for, owning the whole infrastructure.

Precisely

#46 2018-01-24 16:02:09

GooberMcNutly wrote:

As long as they don't rely on the Puertoricenos to install or maintain them, they will be golden. But it's starting to look like a good investment if you suffer in sunny climes.

They will defiinitely have to import skilled labor to set that up. Since the plan is to export all the Puerto Ricans to replace the million of illegal immigrant labor once they are all deported back to the shithole on the other side of the big beautiful wall.

How the US will replace immigrant workers with Puerto Ricans

#48 2018-04-25 13:49:02

Electric buses were seen as a joke at an industry conference in Belgium seven years ago when the Chinese manufacturer BYD Co. showed an early model.

Is the whole world being run by superstitious retards?  Propane/LNG buses have worked for decades, why would this be a joke? 

Fuck General Motors, Firestone, Standard Oil, and others for their Streetcar Conspiracy.  Whether it's an urban legend or not.

#49 2018-04-25 14:57:04

Baywolfe wrote:

Fuck General Motors, Firestone, Standard Oil, and others for their Streetcar Conspiracy.  Whether it's an urban legend or not.

Streetcars make a comeback

#50 2018-04-25 15:17:40

Emmeran wrote:

Baywolfe wrote:

Streetcars make a comeback

"Comeback" like as in the rest of the developed world since forever? Light rail and city trams are the backbone of most large urban zones in the first world.

Board footer

cruelery.com