#1 2018-07-24 12:00:50

https://cruelery.com/sidepic/catflood.pnghttps://cruelery.com/sidepic/katrina.png

~ click ~

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#2 2018-07-24 16:03:08

People are way to stubborn to walk away from something as fundamental as the idea of a place being home. I think we will see people living in stilt houses before you see many more of these places close down. I think the better money is in seeing people leaving where they can't get fresh water at all.

#3 2018-07-25 15:36:45

I started to realize that, in a sense, we were victims of a system because we were living in a neighborhood that should have never been built.

There is a lot of real estate just like this all along the Coastal Plain.  I know the Carolina coast pretty well, and it's been more or less eaten up with condos.  You do not want to know where aaalllll that extra sewage goes.
In my youth I used to wish hard for the ocean to rise up and wash all that ugliness away.  Now that it's actually going to happen...well, so sad, too bad, folks.  I guess you shoulda retired to Arizona instead.

#4 2018-07-25 18:50:38

George Orr wrote:

I started to realize that, in a sense, we were victims of a system because we were living in a neighborhood that should have never been built.

There is a lot of real estate just like this all along the Coastal Plain.  I know the Carolina coast pretty well, and it's been more or less eaten up with condos.  You do not want to know where aaalllll that extra sewage goes.
In my youth I used to wish hard for the ocean to rise up and wash all that ugliness away.  Now that it's actually going to happen...well, so sad, too bad, folks.  I guess you shoulda retired to Arizona instead.

Flood plains are for crops and grazing not building.  I cannot feel sorry for idjits and I sure as hell don't want to pay for their ignorance.

#5 2018-07-25 20:35:01

I will mourn the loss of several Robert Trent Jones golf courses when the time comes.  Downtown Charleston is safe for a while.

#6 2018-07-26 00:47:29

Downtown Charleston used to flood all the time in the Colonial era. The sea will reclaim what is its own.

#7 2018-07-26 09:03:33

Once they expanded into the lakes and marshes and created "made land", yes.  New Orleans did the same thing.

#8 2018-07-26 09:26:46

Teach your children well and this will only be a tax problem for you.

#9 2018-07-27 15:11:11

Johnny_Rotten wrote:

What I saw being done is woefully under prepared for what will someday happen. The cost will be immense as we are seeing with recent hurricanes elsewhere....It will be scary there when it happens.

You are, if anything, understating how ugly it may become.  A lot of those people are retirees, getting more and more infirm as time goes by.  We could get Katrina's New Orleans x 1000.

#10 2018-07-27 16:00:27

George Orr wrote:

Johnny_Rotten wrote:

What I saw being done is woefully under prepared for what will someday happen. The cost will be immense as we are seeing with recent hurricanes elsewhere....It will be scary there when it happens.

You are, if anything, understating how ugly it may become.  A lot of those people are retirees, getting more and more infirm as time goes by.  We could get Katrina's New Orleans x 1000.

I agree with both of you. I think civilization as we know it is a very thin veneer over the surface, and it can evaporate in an instant.

#11 2018-08-08 17:29:15

In a way, the Trumpster's election is evidence of just how thin it is.

#12 2018-08-09 15:06:28

Fled wrote:

In a way, the Trumpster's election is evidence of just how thin it is.

Exactly.

#13 2018-08-26 19:29:18

https://cruelery.com/sidepic/sinkingship.png

Tidewater Home Values Sink

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#14 2018-08-26 20:42:01

Where are all the televangelists proclaiming that this is God's wrath on the wealthy?  Oh, they are PART the wealthy?  Never mind...

I still want to live at least long enough to see one of Trump's golf properties go under water.

Board footer

cruelery.com