#1 2019-10-20 21:12:45

What is up with this?

"I've seen whales suddenly start breaching many times before in the 11 years I have been on the water. Double-breaches are rarer, and its even more rare to see multiple pairs double breaching simultaneously."

#2 2019-10-21 11:48:27

Underwater sounds I posit.

#3 2019-10-21 20:41:37

Leaping for joy celebrating the destruction of us human pests? Given the eminent possibility that the earthquake swarm could bring on the big one that would slough California off?

#4 2019-10-21 21:01:08

Johnny_Rotten wrote:

Leaping for joy celebrating the destruction of us human pests? Given the eminent possibility that the earthquake swarm could bring on the big one that would slough California off?

As I see it Cali has nothing to worry about, they will always have a ton of little quakes and that relieves the pressure and prevents the big quake.  Now Missouri should worry as should the East Coast.  Missouri is known for having "The Big One" and if New England gets hit with even a moderate quake the entire place will come to the ground.

#5 2019-10-22 11:45:35

Interestingly the eggheads are saying that many of the recent quakes are just the type that set off more quakes in other fault areas. What they cant yet explain is why disparate areas are having sequentially timed quakes. They have considered some of these to be to far apart to be triggered. And point to more analysis needed to even rule out plain coincidence.

#6 2019-10-22 14:45:22

...also remember California faults are slip faults.....not quite as devastating as the fracture fault a la 'New Madrid' in the Missouri/Mississippi river area....

#7 2019-10-22 16:13:34

I seriously doubt - any of us - will live to see imminent threat earthquake predictions, so why worry? I've endured a few of them, one by sleep walking into the street and waking to the sound of my bedroom, and the floor above it, collapsing. Plot your exits, that's my advice.

#8 2019-10-22 18:30:52

choad wrote:

I seriously doubt - any of us - will live to see imminent threat earthquake predictions, so why worry? I've endured a few of them, one by sleep walking into the street and waking to the sound of my bedroom, and the floor above it, collapsing. Plot your exits, that's my advice.

We have food, water, camping gear, erm... self defense stuff in the garage, which is not above the basement.  Local trees might be a bother, but nothing that close (I think).

#9 2019-10-23 07:20:07

Who cares about the people, what about the whales?

I always see a whale's natural state of mind, built over countless millions of years, is to consider us inconsequential to pursuit of their life and happiness. To the point of only being glancingly aware of us.  Except of course till a few spunky individuals started harpooning their brethren. But really that only went on for a total of, what? maybe 2 whale lifetimes. Till most of us who are not Japanese started leaving them alone again.

But maybe they are more aware of their environment than we know. And they associate us with the destruction of their habitat. In which case they might know that a 4.7 M quake isn't severe enough to kill us off and whales breaching is more some sort of resonant rain dance. Whereby they are dancing to call up the big one, they leap and plunge to egg on the tsunami that will finally collapse California, flood Silicon Valley  and return us to the stone age. When we were not such a pest to them.

#10 2019-10-23 15:46:22

Johnny_Rotten wrote:

Who cares about the people, what about the whales?

I always see a whale's natural state of mind, built over countless millions of years, is to consider us inconsequential to pursuit of their life and happiness. To the point of only being glancingly aware of us.  Except of course till a few spunky individuals started harpooning their brethren. But really that only went on for a total of, what? maybe 2 whale lifetimes. Till most of us who are not Japanese started leaving them alone again.

But maybe they are more aware of their environment than we know. And they associate us with the destruction of their habitat. In which case they might know that a 4.7 M quake isn't severe enough to kill us off and whales breaching is more some sort of resonant rain dance. Whereby they are dancing to call up the big one, they leap and plunge to egg on the tsunami that will finally collapse California, flood Silicon Valley  and return us to the stone age. When we were not such a pest to them.

Yes Please.

#11 2019-10-23 17:43:01

SpacePuppy wrote:

Johnny_Rotten wrote:

Whereby they are dancing to call up the big one, they leap and plunge to egg on the tsunami that will finally collapse California, flood Silicon Valley  and return us to the stone age. When we were not such a pest to them.

Yes Please.

What really makes you imagine they are not simply pissed off by the coitus-interruptus which we call an earthquake?  We know earth quakes create waves and waves break apart submerged coitus. 

Simple really...

I think it's just a bunch of whales with blue balls/ovaries who were frustrated because they wanted to get their rocks off.

#12 2019-10-23 18:02:08

The simplest answer is pain and/or distress. Let's surface, pop our ears and see what those sightseeing fuckwits are up to now.

Board footer

cruelery.com