#1 2008-04-15 13:55:42

#2 2008-04-15 14:34:23

Sofa, really. Who the fuck is going to sit there and hour & twentyeight minutes viewing that little screen?

#3 2008-04-15 16:38:31

I watched this on the History Channel a month ago. It is pretty good. I wish I could be around for the day when it happens. I would love to be the last fucker on Earth.I would look through everyones underwear droor.

#4 2008-04-15 18:49:06

I heard about the History Channel show.  I saw the author of the book on some talk show.

The whole premise is a wank.  The human race may die out, but it is not going to be Raptured en masse, leaving zero rotting corpses but all its civilizational structures intact.  The idea is just fucking silly.

#5 2008-04-15 20:06:26

Cormac McCarthy's "The Road". Brilliant. Same premise, only with the remnants of people wandering around too. Loved it.

#6 2008-04-15 20:24:01

And the idea in the book is that some disease has wiped out man-radiation, etc-but the natural world, in some form, more or less remains. It's not all that silly when you think of it though McCarthy takes it to an extreme. Really, look at Chernobyl. Devoid of man, but teeming with plant and animal life, however flawed from the radiation that remains. Eerie.

http://i30.tinypic.com/t4wu8o.jpg

#7 2008-04-15 20:55:42

George Orr wrote:

The idea is just fucking silly.

My response to most people on most subjects.

#8 2008-04-16 00:18:57

It'll all be a moot point when CERN finishes it's black hole machine.

#9 2008-04-16 03:16:45

I just watched it on the Google video site where you could see it in a larger format (Thanks Sofie! I wouldn't have known about it without your post.). What truly saddened me was the notion that all our books and CDs and film and even radio transmissions would eventually disintegrate or just fade out.

Even though I don't believe in the existence of a soul, there is still that part of me that longs for permanence, and can't imagine not leaving something of our better efforts behind. Even more frustrating is the idea that the only real evidence of our existence would be - for fuck's sake - Mount Rushmore. Are they kidding?

#10 2008-04-16 04:59:15

Taint wrote:

I just watched it on the Google video site where you could see it in a larger format (Thanks Sofie! I wouldn't have known about it without your post.). What truly saddened me was the notion that all our books and CDs and film and even radio transmissions would eventually disintegrate or just fade out.

Even though I don't believe in the existence of a soul, there is still that part of me that longs for permanence, and can't imagine not leaving something of our better efforts behind. Even more frustrating is the idea that the only real evidence of our existence would be - for fuck's sake - Mount Rushmore. Are they kidding?

Don't worry, I heard they found fossilized caveman doodie recently.  We may be able to make an impact after all.

#11 2008-04-16 13:41:24

Tojo, apparently the supercollider's safety factor is an unknown.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/15/scien … ref=slogin

Until it all turns into a bit of timeless energy merged with everything else in the non-space on infinite (?) gravity, we should all celebrate the caveman doodie.  That, or smoke it and see what happens.

#12 2008-04-16 14:54:20

Fled wrote:

Until it all turns into a bit of timeless energy merged with everything else in the non-space on infinite (?) gravity, we should all celebrate the caveman doodie.  That, or smoke it and see what happens.

I love the scientific attitude; it doesn't matter if they are posing a measurable risk to the only known intelligent life-forms in existence, the pursuit of "Knowledge" is more important.

#13 2008-04-17 00:13:33

tojo2000 wrote:

Don't worry, I heard they found fossilized caveman doodie recently.  We may be able to make an impact after all.

With all the garbage we've dumped into the oceans, there'll be plenty of evidence, for a long, long, long time.

#14 2008-04-17 00:25:12

Emmeran wrote:

Fled wrote:

I love the scientific attitude; it doesn't matter if they are posing a measurable risk to the only known intelligent life-forms in existence, the pursuit of "Knowledge" is more important.

You've got to take the larger view.  Think of how much we'll learn from obliterating ourselves?

Board footer

cruelery.com