#1 2008-04-23 01:29:49

OK, so having nothing better to do this weekend than drown in PHP, I womped up a killfile/ignore feature for the board.  All you do is go to a user's profile page and click the button to ignore posts.

The behavior is managed from your own profile page in the Display section, which also includes the list of ten most hated users.

Note that while this will hide posts within threads, the main list of threads is not affected.

Post your comments/complaints/bug reports to this thread.

#2 2008-04-23 02:07:10

Ah, yes, the killfile. 

From my usenet days I seem to recall that getting yourself killfiled means you win.

#3 2008-04-23 02:20:20

Admins and moderators don't [choke]...[sob] get this option.

https://cruelery.com/img/ignore.png

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

Last edited by choad (2008-04-23 02:20:53)

#4 2008-04-23 11:49:05

choad wrote:

Admins and moderators don't [choke]...[sob] get this option.

That's an interesting point... since admins and moderators are supposed to be keeping an eye on things, perhaps they shouldn't have the option of ignoring other users (or maybe just removing the "plain ignore" option for them would be appropriate).

It will be entertaining to see how this evolves, just as watching the killfile on Cruel was.  I can now only clearly remember a few names from the most killed list there - Horse (of course), some of the many faces of NYJ, emily, Top Poster, and, though he was long gone by the time I came on the scene, Stu_Pendisdick (not sure about the spelling) still managed to hang on to a top spot for years.  Did anyone happen to save any statistics for posterity's sake?

#5 2008-04-23 12:10:38

square wrote:

It will be entertaining to see how this evolves, just as watching the killfile on Cruel was.  I can now only clearly remember a few names from the most killed list there - Horse (of course), some of the many faces of NYJ, emily, Top Poster, and, though he was long gone by the time I came on the scene, Stu_Pendisdick (not sure about the spelling) still managed to hang on to a top spot for years.  Did anyone happen to save any statistics for posterity's sake?

Zookeeper?!

Stu Pendiskick was my hero. Three nonstop weeks of word salad, wasn't it? Top Poster was one of the many faces of Jew and I know Scsotd topped the charts for at least a few weeks because I put him there. Good times.

#6 2008-04-23 12:13:17

I remember the exploit where you tinyurl'd (or just a=href'd) to the "ignore" command page at cruel.

Horse got like 100 kiillfiles in a week that way.

#7 2008-04-23 12:17:19

And hey, since you're here, Choad...

Does the top menu load in the same spot as the banner pic because I use firefox, or is this a bug?  Depending on the banner pic, I sometimes can't even see the menu.

http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/2311/messdzv4.png

...and blue text on black background is a little rough, too.

Minor complaints.  I like this board otherwise.

#8 2008-04-23 12:39:37

raoul.duke wrote:

And hey, since you're here, Choad...

Does the top menu load in the same spot as the banner pic because I use firefox, or is this a bug?  Depending on the banner pic, I sometimes can't even see the menu.

http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/2311/messdzv4.png

...and blue text on black background is a little rough, too.

You have a selection of at least half a dozen different skins, each displaying differently, with 'Oxygen' the default. Swap around, (from your profile, click Display) and see what appeals. For something different, check here and lemme know what looks interesting.

edit: This one is George's favorite.

Last edited by choad (2008-04-23 12:47:18)

#9 2008-04-23 12:46:10

Thanks, that's better.

And look!  I'm #2 on the ignore list.

#10 2008-04-23 12:51:33

raoul.duke wrote:

I remember the exploit where you tinyurl'd (or just a=href'd) to the "ignore" command page at cruel.

Horse got like 100 kiillfiles in a week that way.

Pains me to admit, but that was entirely RangerX's handiwork.

#11 2008-04-23 12:54:40

raoul.duke wrote:

Thanks, that's better.

Your seester, maybe?

#12 2008-04-23 13:19:06

choad wrote:

raoul.duke wrote:

Thanks, that's better.

Your seester, maybe?

Why would she ignore me?

I don't even think Crotchweazel's ignoring me.  Hmm.  I wonder who I pissed off so bad in a week.

#13 2008-04-23 13:31:16

raoul.duke wrote:

choad wrote:

raoul.duke wrote:

Thanks, that's better.

Your seester, maybe?

Why would she ignore me?

I don't even think Crotchweazel's ignoring me.  Hmm.  I wonder who I pissed off so bad in a week.

i ain't ignoring ya, ralf.puke, i'm sending extra-bad-psychic-carma waves towards you, in the ernest hope that youll acidentaly shoot yourslef in the asshole. Looser.

#14 2008-04-23 13:47:09

Any guess as to who is

http://i30.tinypic.com/34xiaop.jpg

http://i28.tinypic.com/iyegr5.jpg?

It is serendipity that killfile was reinstated at the same time that he shows up.

Last edited by Fled (2008-04-23 13:48:04)

#15 2008-04-23 22:23:29

It's nice to be popular...

http://b.imagehost.org/0600/0df559042bf54af9080218541ce4fe869fbce7c7_m.jpg

...and no, that's not me...
I'm guessing the same four that are ignoring me are the very same I'm ignoring....plus one...admin knows who that is....

Last edited by Lurker (2008-04-23 22:28:24)

#16 2008-04-23 22:25:25

Kathaksung?

#17 2008-04-23 22:26:13

sigmoid freud wrote:

Kathaksung?

no, but thanks but for playing....

#18 2008-04-23 22:48:24

raoul.duke wrote:

choad wrote:

raoul.duke wrote:

Thanks, that's better.

Your seester, maybe?

Why would she ignore me?

BECAUSE YOU KILLED THE BIRDIES!!

*sniffles*

Trick, please. I would never ignore you, Brother Raoul. I even posted Fear and Loathing, in honor of your glorious ressurection.

Now the new village idiot on the other hand...I could ignore it.

#19 2008-04-23 22:49:44

Lurker wrote:

sigmoid freud wrote:

Kathaksung?

no, but thanks but for playing....

I just sent Kathy a note telling him that we miss him and where to find us.

#20 2008-04-23 22:50:22

sofaking wrote:

raoul.duke wrote:

choad wrote:

Your seester, maybe?

Why would she ignore me?

*sniffles*

Trick, please. I would never ignore you, Brother Raoul. I even posted Fear and Loathing, in honor of your glorious ressurection.

Does this mean I've been made redundant?

#21 2008-04-23 22:55:03

Ramona Bell wrote:

square wrote:

Zookeeper?!

Sorry.  I never kept killfile stats.  Only top poster stats.  And even if I did still have the raw data from the stats I ran I'd never admit it (since I don't want to go wading through it again).

#22 2008-04-23 23:01:22

Lurker wrote:

sofaking wrote:

raoul.duke wrote:

Why would she ignore me?

*sniffles*

Oh, Lurky...I'm so sorry. No one from Human Resources spoke with you today? An impressively qualified candidate has won the position.

Oh, this is awkward.

If it's any consolation, we offer a generous severance package.

#23 2008-04-23 23:11:23

sofaking wrote:

Lurker wrote:

sofaking wrote:

*sniffles*

Oh, Lurky...I'm so sorry. No one from Human Resources spoke with you today? An impressively qualified candidate has won the position.

Oh, this is awkward.

If it's any consolation, we offer a generous severance package.

No apologies necessary, it was getting to be a stressful position to ...uh, fill... my knees were getting chaffed as well...

#24 2008-04-23 23:15:06

Nice work Square!   And here I was under the impression that Choad wanted me to hunt you down and...  well, it was obviously a just a failure to communicate clearly.

Seriously appreciated mod.

#25 2008-04-23 23:42:07

opsec wrote:

Amen. Let the asshattery begin.

Any thoughts on managing headers?

#26 2008-04-24 01:41:09

choad wrote:

What, you mean banner images?

#27 2008-04-24 01:57:50

square wrote:

choad wrote:

I tried to manipulate it a bit, but PHP is not my strong point, and the way it's constructed is a bit obtuse, so I failed, and I've been waiting to have some more free time before I start at it again.  Someone with decent PHP foo should be able to fix it fairly easily.  Basically it sets the source of the image to headerimage.php instead of using headerimage.php to generate the name of the file to serve, so nobody ever caches the header images.  I'd go into more detail on why it's a little harder than it sounds, but I won't post it here.  If you can get choad to forward me your email I'll tell you the hidden wrinkle.

#28 2008-04-24 09:09:13

Re:  Killfile

It appears the people who populate the killfile are all old [and older] people from Cruel.  [Except that Biscuit shitter.]

#29 2008-04-24 09:20:36

choad wrote:

opsec wrote:

Amen. Let the asshattery begin.

Oh man.  Killfile...

So, has Whorse showed up yet?

#30 2008-04-24 09:21:21

Oh, and where do I go to see those who have been killfiled by others?  Or is that a luxury I gave up when I gave up my admin status...

#31 2008-04-24 09:28:36

Roger_That wrote:

Oh, and where do I go to see those who have been killfiled by others?  Or is that a luxury I gave up when I gave up my admin status...

In your profile, under 'display,' at the bottom.

#32 2008-04-24 09:31:31

Hey Roger_That.  Read the first entry in this thread.  Access from the display page from on your profile page.

#33 2008-04-24 09:35:36

Sorry all, I'm a bit Rustic (yeah I meant that).

#34 2008-04-24 12:48:09

Roger_That wrote:

Yeah, we're shit out of luck but I'm sure there are compensations.

#35 2008-04-24 18:29:54

tojo2000 wrote:

square wrote:

choad wrote:

Basically it sets the source of the image to headerimage.php instead of using headerimage.php to generate the name of the file to serve, so nobody ever caches the header images.  I'd go into more detail on why it's a little harder than it sounds, but I won't post it here.  If you can get choad to forward me your email I'll tell you the hidden wrinkle.

choad sent me an archive of the PHP files, so I can take a look at those and see if I can figure something out.  My e-mail is equilateralparallelogram at Yahoo, any guidance on the problem you mentioned is welcome.

#36 2008-04-24 18:56:57

Life with a killfile is like not ever getting to watch a homeless man shit in an intersection, or listen to someone crazy chew out a cashier, or attend a goddawful company christmas party. In other words, I won't be using that feature, because it's unamerican, goddamn it.

#37 2008-04-24 19:11:01

icangetyouatoe wrote:

Life with a killfile is like not ever getting to watch a homeless man shit in an intersection, or listen to someone crazy chew out a cashier, or attend a goddawful company christmas party. In other words, I won't be using that feature, because it's unamerican, goddamn it.

Amen!

Resorting to use of a killfile is the most craven of internet surrenders.

#38 2008-04-24 20:39:39

you can still view the comments by clicking on them.  I'm using it to avoid Chef-Boy RD's gratuitous animal snuff...oh, and Twat-Tonguers' insipid twattle...

BTW, I would NEVER ignore our sweet little Princess...

Last edited by Lurker (2008-04-24 20:42:58)

#39 2008-04-24 20:50:06

Lurker wrote:

you can still view the comments by clicking on them.  I'm using it to avoid Chef-Boy RD's gratuitous animal snuff...oh, and Twat-Tonguers' insipid twattle...

Speaking of gratuitous animal snuff, I fed the ol' boa tonight and took video in the hopes of getting something worth horrifying CuntWeevil with, but I was not happy with the result.  Before the next feeding I'll construct a proper video-friendly arena (the glass tank I currently use fucks up my POS camera's auto-focus something fierce, and it's hard to get a good angle on the action in it anyway).

#40 2008-04-24 21:53:39

jesusluvspegging wrote:

Lurker wrote:

Speaking of gratuitous animal snuff, I fed the ol' boa tonight and took video in the hopes of getting something worth horrifying CuntWeevil with, but I was not happy with the result.  Before the next feeding I'll construct a proper video-friendly arena (the glass tank I currently use fucks up my POS camera's auto-focus something fierce, and it's hard to get a good angle on the action in it anyway).

I had a friend with a Boa, he always said the feeding was a very intimate thing for the serpent.   I guess I can see why, and also NEVER feed them in their habitat.  This way you can still reach in and pick them up without getting bitten....you did learn the first time not to let it associate your hand with food?

But this a killfile thread, not a rodentkill thread....

#41 2008-04-24 22:17:47

Lurker wrote:

I had a friend with a Boa, he always said the feeding was a very intimate thing for the serpent.   I guess I can see why, and also NEVER feed them in their habitat.  This way you can still reach in and pick them up without getting bitten....you did learn the first time not to let it associate your hand with food?

Yeah, I knew about that before I got him.  I've never fed him in his terrarium. 

While swallowing a meal, the snake is at its most vulnerable to predators, so he does tend to get a little snippy around mealtime.  I've been bitten 3 or 4 times, and it's always more surprising than it is painful, and every time I was doing something I shouldn't have been.  Once they get the scent of prey they get really bitey, but that's about the only time you have to worry about it.

Too bad tonight's video came out like crap.  Rat #1 was taken while asleep and never made a sound.  Rat #2 died slow and noisy.

#42 2008-04-24 22:41:24

jesusluvspegging wrote:

the glass tank I currently use fucks up my POS camera's auto-focus something fierce, and it's hard to get a good angle on the action in it anyway

I feel your pain. He's prettier than this. 

http://cruel.storagelake.com/Flowerhorn_aquabid.jpg

Hah, my first SPAM!

#43 2008-04-24 22:44:03

tojo2000 wrote:

Basically it sets the source of the image to headerimage.php instead of using headerimage.php to generate the name of the file to serve, so nobody ever caches the header images.

Ideally, I want to see another profile display entry, this one for image selection - banners and sidepics - and allow selection numbers determine which images random select for vistors and un-logged in members alike.  Let consensus decide, not some image snob like me.

Last edited by choad (2008-04-24 23:50:32)

#44 2008-04-24 23:06:28

opsec wrote:

jesusluvspegging wrote:

the glass tank I currently use fucks up my POS camera's auto-focus something fierce, and it's hard to get a good angle on the action in it anyway

I feel your pain. He's prettier than this. 

http://cruel.storagelake.com/Flowerhorn_aquabid.jpg

Hah, my first SPAM!

Why are you selling your pretty fishie? You can tell he's rad.

#45 2008-04-24 23:19:51

fnord wrote:

I just sent Kathy a note telling him that we miss him and where to find us.

You realize, don't you, sooner or later Kathy will add auto-display videos to his cut and paste skill set.

Last edited by choad (2008-04-24 23:20:32)

#46 2008-04-25 09:43:36

sofaking wrote:

Why are you selling your pretty fishie? You can tell he's rad.

I bought 4 to grow and breed... a good plan had just ONE of 'em been female.  Plans to cross him with a devil fish didn't work out (though that would have been awesome). As it is, he's taking up valuable real estate I need to grow out a bunch of devil fish fry.

#47 2008-04-25 20:38:42

choad wrote:

This one is George's favorite.

You.  Slandering.  Bastard.  You only threw that in because you knew I'd be offline for three days.

#48 2008-04-25 23:18:31

George Orr wrote:

you knew I'd be offline for three days.

True, that's why I took this snapshot when your cousin/uncle Earl dropped by  in your absense.

http://i003.radikal.ru/0804/a4/711924d51baf.jpg

#49 2008-04-26 01:03:42

opsec wrote:

Hah, my first SPAM!

Spam?  SPAM????!!??  My ass.  Sir, you have performed a tremendous service this day.  I will be establishing a planted tank in the near future, and what I've needed but hadn't put forth any effort to find was some sort of source for unusual specimens to fill it.  Wow.  AquaBid.  I'm sporting aquatic wood.

#50 2008-04-26 01:05:51

choad wrote:

Ideally, I want to see another profile display entry, this one for image selection - banners and sidepics - and allow selection numbers determine which images random select for vistors and un-logged in members alike.  Let consensus decide, not some image snob like me.

Oh, a voting-type thing.  It looks like there are some mods for "reputation points" that could possibly be adapted for this purpose.  This weekend is pretty full, maybe I'll get some time next weekend.  Making a nice interface could be a bit tricky...

Board footer

cruelery.com