#51 2008-04-26 01:25:49

square wrote:

choad wrote:

Ideally, I want to see another profile display entry, this one for image selection - banners and sidepics

Oh, a voting-type thing.  It looks like there are some mods for "reputation points" that could possibly be adapted for this purpose.

Probably not feasible and just an idea but I was trying to imagine a simple way to select your own images. Maybe a better method is to enable a clicked image to summon the next image in rotation. As you can see, I'm flying blind here.

#52 2008-05-01 00:16:22

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/221/snapshot7rh1.png

FYI, the artifact of the missing name above is because someone killfiled a user that no longer exists (I'm guessing Lunker).  The next time this person clicks the button to ignore/stop ignoring someone (doesn't matter who), the now-invalid entry should be scrubbed from their ignore list.

Just in case anyone was curious.

#53 2008-05-01 00:47:48

square wrote:

FYI, the artifact of the missing name above is because someone killfiled a user that no longer exists (I'm guessing Lunker).  The next time this person clicks the button to ignore/stop ignoring someone (doesn't matter who), the now-invalid entry should be scrubbed from their ignore list.

Well I sure as hell ain't gonna do THAT.  It's my artifact and it has every right to live.

DON"T TAKE MY BABY!

Last edited by jesusluvspegging (2008-05-01 00:48:54)

#54 2008-05-01 01:15:57

Here come the dingoes!

#55 2008-05-01 08:02:51

whiskytangofoxtrot wrote:

opsec wrote:

Hah, my first SPAM!

Spam?  SPAM????!!??  My ass.  Sir, you have performed a tremendous service this day.  I will be establishing a planted tank in the near future, and what I've needed but hadn't put forth any effort to find was some sort of source for unusual specimens to fill it.  Wow.  AquaBid.  I'm sporting aquatic wood.

Happy to be of service to another fish geek.  The only problem I have with Aquabid is shipping costs.  The buyer of my Flowerhorn paid almost twice the cost of the animal to get it shipped soonest.   Of course with flora you won't really have that problem.

I now return you to you regularly scheduled thread.  Hey, who's ignoring me?  Am I going to have to start shouting?!

#56 2008-05-15 01:01:28

choad wrote:

Probably not feasible and just an idea but I was trying to imagine a simple way to select your own images. Maybe a better method is to enable a clicked image to summon the next image in rotation.

After looking through the banner code and thinking about it a bit, I came up with three options:

A. Do nothing; maintain the status quo.

B. Keep the current moderator-selected system, but have three categories of banners: not displayed, displayed to all users (including guests), displayed to registered users only.  This is pretty simple to implement and allows narrowing down the banners guests see.

C. Permit users to turn individual banners on/off.  Unpopular banners (those turned off by X number of users) would not be displayed to guests.  Moderators would only disable banners that were duplicates, the wrong dimensions, or otherwise technically deficient.  This would take a bit more work and require minor modifications to the database.  I could probably reuse a lot of the logic from the ignore system since they're conceptually similar.  The hardest part would be coming up with some reasonable kind of interface for users to switch banners on and off.

Personally, I would rather go with B and anoint someone with aesthetic sensibilities to select banners than have to wade through them all and pick and choose for myself.  But I can see the merits of C also.

BTW, the sidepics seem to be stuck - they haven't changed for me all night...

#57 2008-05-15 01:12:08

square wrote:

Personally, I would rather go with B and anoint someone with aesthetic sensibilities to select banners than have to wade through them all and pick and choose for myself.  But I can see the merits of C also.

BTW, the sidepics seem to be stuck - they haven't changed for me all night...

B appeals to me, too. I noticed the stalled sidepics earlier this evening, doubled checked the cron command that calls it and its associated script. Then I drank a pint of stout. Can't find the problem. Think there's a feasible way of wrapping that function into the header routine?

My eyes are crossing. Hasta maņana.

#58 2008-05-15 01:23:41

Ha. I see said the blind man to the deaf girl. Thanks, Square.

Board footer

cruelery.com