#2 2008-04-28 18:08:48

Not just a child's nightmares, I fear.  Jesus.

#3 2008-04-28 19:19:25

Wolves were a scary idea for me as a kid, hearing the coyotes howl really scared the shit outta me....now it's just humans that have that effect.

#4 2008-04-28 19:43:01

Very cool. I don't get the "swarm" ones, but I think the Behind-You/The Door/The Couch monsters are fairly clever. I wonder from where that particular phobia arises.

#5 2008-04-28 19:54:44

pALEPHx wrote:

Very cool. I don't get the "swarm" ones, but I think the Behind-You/The Door/The Couch monsters are fairly clever. I wonder from where that particular phobia arises.

The couch phobia is probably due to one of those damned Coffin Couches in fnords latest post...seriously, I believe kids only learn to be fearful from those around them....

Last edited by Lurker (2008-04-28 19:55:18)

#6 2008-04-28 20:29:20

I'm sure I'll rue the day I mentioned this, but when I very small I had a terrible fear of the toilet flush. Not the toilet and nothing bowel-related, but the toilet's flush used to freak me out. It became quite the ordeal to position myself after attending to the task at hand, cleaning up, and then - standing by the door with one hand firmly on the door knob - reaching across to the toilet to flush and then escape from the bathroom as quickly as possible.

I'm sure a psychotherapist would have a field day with this.

#7 2008-04-28 20:32:41

Taint wrote:

I'm sure I'll rue the day I mentioned this, but when I very small I had a terrible fear of the toilet flush. Not the toilet and nothing bowel-related, but the toilet's flush used to freak me out. It became quite the ordeal to position myself after attending to the task at hand, cleaning up, and then - standing by the door with one hand firmly on the door knob - reaching across to the toilet to flush and then escape from the bathroom as quickly as possible.

Actually, I was the same way.  I'd lean over with one hand to flush the toilet while keeping the other one poised near the light switch so I could flush, switch, and run like hell.

#8 2008-04-28 20:42:06

Oh, thank god. I'm not alone. Let's form a support group, Tojo.

#9 2008-04-28 21:06:54

The toilet is scary because you push that lever down and everything in the bowl goes away in a noisy swirl of water.  Where does it go?  When you're new to the world your imagination can provide some incredible answers to that question.

When I was about four my baby sister, a curious toddler who meant no harm, dropped my favorite teddy in the toilet and pushed the lever down, to see what would happen, I suppose.  To say I was hysterical...well, it was simply terrifying for me.  My mother had to spend the rest of the day comforting me. 

She washed Teddy and pinned him to the clothesline by his ears to dry.  I can still see that image in my mind.

#10 2008-04-28 21:38:08

George Orr wrote:

When I was about four my baby sister, a curious toddler who meant no harm, dropped my favorite teddy in the toilet and pushed the lever down, to see what would happen, I suppose.

My brother and I, no goodnics a year apart, were confined to a Peruvian hotel room at about the same age and tried that experiment with an orange. Below the equator, we were told, toilets flush the other way.

All toilets, we learned, overflow. Punished to nap in the same bed, our heads cemented together with chewing gum. That bought us our first ever crew cuts and healthy head smacks.

#11 2008-04-28 21:50:40

tojo2000 wrote:

Taint wrote:

Actually, I was the same way.  I'd lean over with one hand to flush the toilet while keeping the other one poised near the light switch so I could flush, switch, and run like hell.

So, I'm guessing because of this, you guys never watched "All In The Family"?
For those born post...whenever they stopped the re-runs, All In The Family was the first tv show to have a toilet flush during the show....in America...it was also one of the first shows to use the word "fag"

And I gotta ask George, was the bear "soiled"?

#12 2008-04-28 21:53:24

My stepmother said that cats protect children from evil spirits.

#13 2008-04-28 21:55:08

I'll give you proper kidhood fear.

https://cruelery.com/img/kidhoodfear.jpg

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#14 2008-04-28 22:06:36

tits_matilda wrote:

My stepmother said that cats protect children from evil spirits.

they also suck the breath out of babies....gawd I love cats....nothing personal Sofie, Nicky is a darling....

Last edited by Lurker (2008-04-28 22:08:17)

#15 2008-04-28 22:21:19

Lurker wrote:

No--it was clean water.  But Teddy still had to have a hot bath in the washing machine, with lots of Tide, because...it was the toilet.  I was four.

#16 2008-04-28 22:43:03

The whole toilet/bathtub/swirling into oblivion is a pretty common fear for the little ones.  At least I can tell mine that it all just goes to the septic tank in the back yard, not into that nasty dirty jobs sewer episode that we saw. 

Personally, I used to jump onto my bed from as far away as possible to avoid any monsters hanging out underneath the bed.  And then I made a pact with Dracula, who apparently had some sway with the other monsters.  I would warn him of upcoming Christian holidays, and the monsters would leave me alone.  Pretty fucked up for a seven year old, but it seemed to work.

#17 2008-04-29 00:37:45

asdf1971 wrote:

The whole toilet/bathtub/swirling into oblivion is a pretty common fear for the little ones.  At least I can tell mine that it all just goes to the septic tank in the back yard, not into that nasty dirty jobs sewer episode that we saw. 

Personally, I used to jump onto my bed from as far away as possible to avoid any monsters hanging out underneath the bed.  And then I made a pact with Dracula, who apparently had some sway with the other monsters.  I would warn him of upcoming Christian holidays, and the monsters would leave me alone.  Pretty fucked up for a seven year old, but it seemed to work.

You want fucked up?  I used to lie awake at night, terrified that one day I would go to heaven.  Not that I would die.  That I would go to heaven, and supposedly you won't miss anyone you left behind, and you'll be there forever... it made my stomach fill with ice cubes.   I'd moved about once every 2 years for most of my life, and it was scary enough starting somewhere new, but to have to be there forever, with absolutely nothing that you love...

#18 2008-04-29 00:56:39

Yeah, scary schmary. None of those pictures feature any austrian grandfathers-what's a few spiders compared with guys like that?

Great pics though. Thanks, Fnord.

#19 2008-04-29 00:56:40

Thanks to sadistic older siblings, I knew about the toilet monster, the under the bed monster, the floor furnace monster, the attic monster, and the storm drain biters among other horrible creatures that preyed on children.  I told my parents very early the “Now I lay me down to sleep” prayer freaked me out, causing sleeplessness and nightmares, so that little ritual stopped.

I have a cousin who had problems with toilet training because he was afraid he would fall in and be flushed away.  He insisted on crapping in a diaper (he was ok with standing in front of the toilet to piss) until his mother refused to deal with it anymore.

#20 2008-04-29 01:00:12

fred rogers words to live by-

You can never go down
Can never go down
Can never go down the drain.
You can never go down
Can never go down

You're bigger than the water.
You're bigger than the soap.
You're much bigger than all the bubbles.
And bigger than your telescope

So you see...
You can never go down
Can never go down
You can never go down
Can never go down

The rain may go down
But you can't go down.
You're bigger than any bathroom drain.
You can never go down
Can never go down
You can never go down the drain.

#21 2008-04-29 01:00:59

In one of my childhood homes, someTHING would tap on my second-floor bedroom window at about 4 am.  It used to scare me shitless.  I was about 8 years old, and nobody would believe me since there were no trees, roofs, or ledges for a raccoon or person to use as a perch, and no sign of anyone using a ladder to get up there.  For months it seemed I only slept when the sun was up,and I started to believe random crazy shit, like that those coal cellar doors you see near sidewalks were emergency rest stations for vampires.

Last edited by tits_matilda (2008-04-29 01:01:35)

#22 2008-04-29 01:32:01

Good Lord, that was some creepy shit.  Man.  I've still got the willies.

Anyone else here have swimming nightmares?  Not in the water--when I'm being pursued on the land, I'll fall, then start swimming.  Front crawl armstrokes pushing off from the ground, legs flutter kicking like mad behind me...

edit:  He did leave out my oldest daughter's fear.  She'd come into our room at the age of 2 or so, insisting that there were cows in her room.  We had to use a spray bottle of water to spray for cows each night for nights on end.  We taught our second daughter that Febreze was magic monster spray, and we would sometimes peer in and see her intently vanquishing monsters and freshening her room...

Last edited by whiskytangofoxtrot (2008-04-29 01:35:14)

#23 2008-04-29 01:52:09

I had recurring dreams of swinging in perfect circles, still too young to know carnival rides, and I was terrified I'd wake at the top of the arc, stall and fall.

#24 2008-04-29 02:37:38

choad wrote:

I had recurring dreams of swinging in perfect circles, still too young to know carnival rides, and I was terrified I'd wake at the top of the arc, stall and fall.

Ooh, that's a good one.

My brother used to take the top bunk, and he was afraid that if he hung his feet over the edge witches would come and bite his toes off.

#25 2008-04-29 07:07:58

whiskytangofoxtrot wrote:

We taught our second daughter that Febreze was magic monster spray, and we would sometimes peer in and see her intently vanquishing monsters and freshening her room...

Whiskey, you should send that in to the Febreze folks, it would make a cute commercial...

#26 2008-04-29 07:10:54

For me it was an unreasoning fear of Ma and Pa Kettle.

#27 2008-04-29 07:41:14

Fled wrote:

For me it was an unreasoning fear of Ma and Pa Kettle.

"Unreasoning"?  Those two are in league with Satan.

#28 2008-04-29 07:59:05

icangetyouatoe wrote:

fred rogers words to live by-

You can never go down
Can never go down
You can never go down
Can never go down

You're bigger than the water.
You're bigger than the soap.
You're much bigger than all the bubbles.
And bigger than your telescope

So you see...
You can never go down
Can never go down
You can never go down
Can never go down

The rain may go down
But you can't go down.
You're bigger than any bathroom drain.
You can never go down
Can never go down
You can never go down the drain.

Nice.

Now I gotta find my goddamn tennis shoes and cardigan sweater....

http://image.ec21.com/image/fityoushoe/oimg_GC01670376_CA01718068/Men%27s_Striper_%252F_Boat_Shoes_%252F_Deck_Shoes_%252F_Canvas_Shoes_%252F_Slip_On.jpg

#29 2008-04-29 08:00:25

My horrible dream was arriving at school and realising I'd forgotten my trousers.

I know.

I need to seek professional counseling.

#30 2008-04-29 08:04:06

whosasailorthen wrote:

My horrible dream was arriving at school and realising I'd forgotten my trousers.

I know.

I need to seek professional counseling.

Actually I think that one's pretty common, and not just because I had the same dreamw.  It's funny, because you're mortified, but the fact that you're obviously dreaming because there's no way you could have gotten all the way to school/work/downtown without realizing you were pants-less never seems to occur to you until it's too late.

#31 2008-04-29 08:29:32

whosasailorthen wrote:

Surely you know how common a dream that one is.  I think whole psychology careers have been based on that dream.

I started having it in young adulthood--fear of responsibility, maybe, or fear of inadequacy as I embarked on my own life...for me it was dreams about trying to get to a job interview or the first day of a new job; I'd be constantly sidetracked and distracted as I tried to make my way to my destination, and around the time I realized I was irredeemably late, I'd look down and see I was in a bra and panties.

Not exactly nightmares, but unpleasant enough to cast a pall on the rest of your day.

Are irrational childhood fears really more horrible that rational adult fears?

#32 2008-04-29 10:58:18

Bette Davis in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane.

Bozo with a chainsaw.

Sydney Greenstreet giving me a bath.

Waking up in a vat of live slugs.

Last edited by Fled (2008-04-29 10:58:47)

#33 2008-04-29 12:27:26

Fled wrote:

Bozo with a chainsaw.

Fled, have you ever read the old Clive Barker short story, Dread?

#34 2008-04-29 12:31:36

I had no nightmares or phobias until I was eight. One evening I came home from school and pops was stacking shells into his modded 12-gauge.
Me: What are you doing with the gun?
Him: Going looking for your mother.
There were nightmares after that.
Amusingly enough:
Now I'm the nightmare. Last year I came up a flight of basement stairs, opened a door and found myself at eye-level with a beautiful little blonde-haired boy...child of a friend of the family I was visiting...it was like staring at a photo of myself at the age of three.
Me: (with a snarl, through clenched teeth) I eat children.
Him: Waaaaaaaaaa....
I'm that kid's ogre now. At night his nanny checks under the bed for me.
Slowly, karma and entropy smooth out the world's wrongs.

#35 2008-04-29 12:40:17

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

Now I'm the nightmare. Last year I came up a flight of basement stairs, opened a door and found myself at eye-level with a beautiful little blonde-haired boy...child of a friend of the family I was visiting...it was like staring at a photo of myself at the age of three.
Me: (with a snarl, through clenched teeth) I eat children.
Him: Waaaaaaaaaa....
I'm that kid's ogre now. At night his nanny checks under the bed for me.

That is just beautifully cruel.

Watch out, though, when that kid gets up in years...He might load up a modded shotgun and go looking for you.

#36 2008-04-29 12:44:32

George Orr wrote:

[Watch out, though, when that kid gets up in years...He might load up a modded shotgun and go looking for you.

God I hope so.
Someone's got to take me out. (Form a line, boys, form a line.)

#37 2008-04-29 15:03:55

George Orr wrote:

Fled wrote:

Bozo with a chainsaw.

I have not.  I will, on your recommendation, unless you think I will never sleep soundly again.

#38 2008-04-29 15:09:17

I'm that kid's ogre now.

One of my favorite conversations with you children, which I have had on several occasions, runs like this:

Me: I know about your last dream.
Kid: No you don't.
Me: Yes I do. I was there.  I was in your dream.
Kid: No you weren't.  You weren't in my dream.
Me: Oh yes I was.  And I was hiding.  Next time I'm not going to hide.

#39 2008-04-29 17:49:53

Fled wrote:

George Orr wrote:

Fled wrote:

Bozo with a chainsaw.

I have not.  I will, on your recommendation, unless you think I will never sleep soundly again.

I dunno if you would or not.  It features a very cruel character, his victims...and a cheerful clown.

#40 2008-04-29 18:45:42

My nightmares are usually more disgusting than scary, although they can be scary, too.

Consider the following:

I'm in an empty house with brand new light beige carpeting and paint.  In the walls are arched nooks with nothing in them.  I'm just sort of wandering around when I have to cough.  I start coughing harder, and it's really starting to hurt when suddenly I cough something up into my hand.  It's green, and on one side it is tough dead skin with short bristly hairs, like a cat's tongue.  On the other side is a thick, wet gristle.  After coughing up a few of these, I start to head upstairs to find a place to dispose of them when I sneeze, and blood the consistency of ketchup shoots out my nose on the brand-new carpet.  The rest of the dream is taken up by me, on my hands and knees, trying to clean the carpet.

Other themes include spiders and insects, having my skin peeled, and other revolting things.   The carpet dream was so vivid that I felt queasy for the rest of the day.

#41 2008-04-30 01:29:23

I once checked into a hotel in Toronto, and very tired, I took a nap right after I got to my room. I had probably the most vivid nightmare of my life that afternoon.

I remember being chased throughout that entire building by a horde of grotesquely deformed people, hell-bent on killing me.  I ran through every hallway and up and down every stairwell in that hotel. I ran and ran, so panicked, I was crying. Finally, I was forced into a corner where, just as they descended upon me, I woke up.

My heart was racing, I was covered in sweat, and it took every bit of self control I had to not check out of that hotel then and there.

#42 2008-04-30 01:52:31

tojo2000 wrote:

My brother used to take the top bunk, and he was afraid that if he hung his feet over the edge witches would come and bite his toes off.

My brother got the top bunk, too, even after falling out and knocking himself cold. I always favored the bottom shelf because I could rocket propel him with my feet when he misbehaved. His greatest fear were the moths I carefully captured and released around his head.

As little squirts, we were both terrified straying cows from the farm down the hill would come and eat us. Usually, it was just my grandfather, who snored like a freight train. Those cows did favor the grass just below our window, though.

#43 2008-04-30 02:20:41

George Orr wrote:

Lurker wrote:

No--it was clean water.  But Teddy still had to have a hot bath in the washing machine, with lots of Tide, because...it was the toilet.  I was four.

He only looked clean on the outside George.

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/3185/carebearzuti6.gif

Last edited by Johnny_Rotten (2008-04-30 02:38:04)

#44 2008-04-30 02:32:35

asdf1971 wrote:

Man is he ever going to be pissed when he finds out you haven't been keeping up with your pact.

#45 2008-04-30 02:50:45

Fled wrote:

I'm that kid's ogre now.

One of my favorite conversations with you children, which I have had on several occasions, runs like this:

Me: I know about your last dream.
Kid: No you don't.
Me: Yes I do. I was there.  I was in your dream.
Kid: No you weren't.  You weren't in my dream.
Me: Oh yes I was.  And I was hiding.  Next time I'm not going to hide.

That is so wrong on so many levels. I can't wait to use it on some unsuspecting urchin.

Last edited by Johnny_Rotten (2008-04-30 02:51:03)

Board footer

cruelery.com