#1 2008-05-27 01:09:06

I have two bicycles, don't own a car and all but busted 3 fingers on my right hand biking Sunday evening. Last night. I'm typing one handed.

Still, I side with the motorist on this one. As a rule, cyclists like these are arrogant, entitled, spandex wearing fucks who deserve whatever abuse they suffer.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/beijing2008/ … e=fullpage

#2 2008-05-27 01:34:32

Serves the fuckers right....  I do a lot of bicycling myself, but when I do, I have the common decency to do it on a bicycle trail or up in the woods....  There are a lot of skinny winding roads around here that don't have shoulders on them and during the summer months they are packed with bicyclists riding right in the lane of traffic...  I wouldn't mind so much if the rude fuckers would pull off the road and let you pass, but that rarely happens.  While I'm going off I might as well include Harley Davidson people on my list of rude, inconsiderate assholes who need run down....  I realize that a Harley is smaller than a car, but when you come to a four way stop sixteen motorcycles don't count as one car....   Also, it's extremely rude when one fat fuck on his Harley is driving in the right lane of the interstate at sixty miles an hour while his ugly ass wife rides her Harley in the left lane at the same time blocking up traffic for miles.....  And what the hell are these grown men doing belonging to a gang anyhow?  Seriously, belonging to any gang, biker gangs included is for wayward youth, not rotten old men in their fifties.....  In closing I'd like to express my dismay at anybody who owns a goddam motorhome....   You get these huge semi sized things going through the hills at twenty five miles per hour driven by some ninety eight year old guy and there is no way to pass...  You can't even enjoy any of the scenery while you're stuck behind one of these behemoths because they take up 70% of your field of vision....  I can't even imagine anyone gaining any pleasure from owning one of those things either, they don't handle, they aren't very comfortable, they're noisy as hell with all the dishes clanging around and you sure as hell don't save any money on your travel when you consider the $100,000 plus price tags of these things........  I feel like going off about people who drive minivans too, but I'll save that for another time......

#3 2008-05-27 03:19:45

apparently broke two bones.

just returned from the local ER where they cast my right arm from elbow to  fingers tips so i am out commision for all practical purposes. yeah, right, there goes my love life,

fuck a duck.

what dirck said x 2.

Last edited by choad (2008-05-27 03:21:55)

#4 2008-05-27 03:48:35

I work with a bunch of these fuckers.  We have a lot of non-work-related mailing lists, and every once in a while one of them will go off on some tirade about how cars are so inconsiderate and people honk at them when they have "every right to use the roads" and cars should just get in line behind them and not try to pass them because that would be dangerous and scary.  Their logic goes something like this:  Since getting hit by a car when you're on a bike can kill you, it's the car driver's responsibility to make sure the biker is safe.  If you ask me, any moron with that little sense of self-preservation deserves what they get, and no, I wouldn't do harm to any harmful things to them myself, because unfortunately I'd feel bad for hurting the dumb fucks.

I personally have no problem with bikes being in the lane as long as they're willing and able to go the same speed that the cars are.  Yes, I know you pay taxes, but so do pedestrians, and we don't let them walk down the middle of the fucking street whenever they feel like it either.  It's a little thing called obstructing traffic, and if you're going to bitch about the fact that riding on the side of the lane sometimes means someone might open a car door in front of you, then just measure the pain caused by that compared to the pain of getting your ass run over by a several-ton rolling hunk of metal.

The ones that really get my goat, though, are the assholes riding in Critical Mass in San Francisco.  Some of them actually have the audacity to pretend like it's some kind of protest to raise awareness of commuting by bicycle, and all the while they're purposefully breaking the law and causing as much havoc as possible, chuckling away, and then getting indignant when someone in a car starts yelling.  If you want to be a hooligan, then be a hooligan, but don't expect not to be arrested, and don't pretend you're on some nature ride.  And for those of you who ride in Critical Mass and don't do these things, who cares?  Go bike somewhere else where you aren't in a swarm of bicycle hooligans.

There.  I feel better now.  I really wish there was video, though.

#5 2008-05-27 03:49:22

choad wrote:

apparently broke two bones.

just returned from the local ER where they cast my right arm from elbow to  fingers tips so i am out commision for all practical purposes. yeah, right, there goes my love life,

fuck a duck.

what dirck said x 2.

Nonsense.  That just means that it's time for The Stranger to come over for a visit for a while.

#6 2008-05-27 04:10:20

tojo2000 wrote:

There.  I feel better now.  I really wish there was video, though.

me, too and i haven't filled my vicoden script yet. i'm a pharma neophyte so stay tooned.

i live directly along a major touring bike route and that  pestilence returns every fucking summer weekend. ive seriously considering changing the road signs.

Last edited by choad (2008-05-27 04:11:04)

#7 2008-05-27 09:38:24

I've actually seen an OC Deputy pull over a pack and ticket them for not riding single file. (in OC a bike lane is treated like any other - one vehicle per)

I smiled for the rest of the day after that one...

#8 2008-05-27 11:32:00

I disagree with the tactics, sorry guys.  No, I am not a daily rider,and I stay off the main streets.  I got into an altercation with Critical Mass, (yes assholes) but road-rage is road rage.  Nope, there are better ways to handle it.

#9 2008-05-27 14:55:45

It has been downhill ever since man invented the wheel.

#10 2008-05-27 15:15:27

I have to agree with Dusty.   
I hate everything slow that gets out on the road.  However, according to the story, there was more than one lane and they were in the "slow" lane.  Now if the guy in the Falcon had driven through them tossing them to both sides while film was rolling:
http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/3757/200pxdeathrace2000ex6.jpg
That would completely different, a lot more fun, and we'd have video.

#11 2008-05-27 15:51:03

The next time you see one of those arrogant, entitled, spandex wearing pricks acting up, do not hesitate, just throw them off a bridge.

#12 2008-05-27 16:01:08

Okay, so in the really real world I wouldn't slam on my brakes and hurt people, but I have some serious doubts that all 50 bikes were just riding in the slow lane and the driver just decided to slam on his brakes in front of them for no reason.  I doubt there was a good reason, but road rage is usually an inappropriate response to an actual confrontation, not some crazy guy going around trying to get people to run into him.

#13 2008-05-27 16:57:48

tojo2000 wrote:

Okay, so in the really real world I wouldn't slam on my brakes and hurt people, but I have some serious doubts that all 50 bikes were just riding in the slow lane and the driver just decided to slam on his brakes in front of them for no reason.  I doubt there was a good reason, but road rage is usually an inappropriate response to an actual confrontation, not some crazy guy going around trying to get people to run into him.

Poor impulse control.  Maybe he had to wait on a side street while they all went by.  Whether they deserved being hit or not he's going to jail for being a moron.  I still say it would have been more fun to drive through the pack knocking them to both sides.  When people ask why I have the big front bumper on the truck I tell them "Small Japanese cars."

#14 2008-05-27 21:41:08

"Harley riders", including the rice cruiser set, are just that. They are not motorcyclists.

https://cruelery.com/uploads/34_motorvation03.jpg

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#15 2008-06-03 17:12:17

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/00675/cyclist-crash_675860n.jpg

#16 2008-06-03 17:21:11

Where is that from ? That can't possibly be real, could it?

#17 2008-06-03 17:27:31

hedgewizard wrote:

I hate everything slow that gets out on the road.

Pppfffttt.

http://modelt.ironvale.com/21T_01%20(2).JPG

Don't MAKE me mount an undercarriage chain gun.  I DO have plenty of clearance.

http://modelt.ironvale.com/21T_01%20(12).JPG

#18 2008-06-03 17:35:59

Johnny_Rotten wrote:

Where is that from ? That can't possibly be real, could it?

According to the London Telegraph, this happened in Mexico.

#19 2008-06-03 17:54:08

Yeah that would explain the kilometer highway sign and the mid 1980's Olds? with the modern elliptical tube or carbon tubed bike.

#20 2008-06-03 17:56:24

opsec wrote:

hedgewizard wrote:

I hate everything slow that gets out on the road.

Pppfffttt.

http://modelt.ironvale.com/21T_01%20(2).JPG

Don't MAKE me mount an undercarriage chain gun.  I DO have plenty of clearance.

http://modelt.ironvale.com/21T_01%20(12).JPG

That linkage appears to connect to the rear axle. What does it shift in there?

#21 2008-06-03 18:03:13

Johnny_Rotten wrote:

That linkage appears to connect to the rear axle. What does it shift in there?

That is a Ruckstell 2 speed rear.  Not standard, but correct period aftermarket.   It makes a hell of a difference in driving capability... I could probably hit 55 in it.  With a tailwind.  And not that I would.

It's for sale.  I'll take 12 for it.

Last edited by opsec (2008-06-03 18:03:53)

#22 2008-06-03 18:28:38

Nice. I love the black, but did they ever come in any other colors? Or did people ever repaint them aftermarket in the 1920's?

#23 2008-06-03 19:30:53

Johnny_Rotten wrote:

Nice. I love the black, but did they ever come in any other colors? Or did people ever repaint them aftermarket in the 1920's?

Wikipedia wrote:

Henry Ford is commonly reputed to have made the statement "Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants so long as it is black." Actually, Model Ts in different colors were produced from 1908 to 1914, and then again from 1926 to 1927. It is often stated that Ford chose black because the paint dried faster than other colored paints available at the time, and a faster drying paint would allow him to build cars faster since he would not have to wait for the paint to dry. However, this theory is not supported by fact, and the earliest Model Ts were not available in black at all.

Over 30 different types of black paint were used to paint various parts of the Model T. The different types of paint were formulated to satisfy the different means of applying the paint to the different parts, and they had different drying times, depending on the paint and the drying method used for a particular part. Ford engineering documents suggest that the color black was chosen because it was cheap and it was durable.

Go ahead opsec, mount the chain gun and I'll buy it.  Throw in a couple thousand rounds of 30 mm.  I can always move the gun to something better able to carry the weight, and more fun, later.  Or did you mean some wimpy 7.62 mm chain gun?

#24 2008-06-03 20:01:37

hedgewizard and Wiki have it mostly right.  The fact is that the green and blue models produced up until '14 were so dark as to be almost black anyway.   The early Ford painting processes were pretty cool, they dipped, combed, brushed, sprayed and baked/dried at various temps while learning how to make it cheap and effective. 

Henry was a conservative bastard, and instead of designing a new model for '26, he came out with the "new" T.  In color.  With wire wheels.  And the same 22 horsepower.  And the same planetary transmission. 

A note operating the planetary transmission.  There are three pedals on your floorboard.  The right pedal when depressed is the brake.  The middle pedal when depressed is reverse.  The left pedal when depressed is low, but when the left pedal is not depressed, the transmission is in high.  Bear with me here.  When the reverse or high/low speed pedal is only halfway depressed, this clutches the transmission.   OK, the throttle is the lever on the right side of the column.  The spark advance is on the left side of the column.  The Ruckstell shifter is mid-floor where you'd expect a gear shift to be. 

12K includes lessons. 

hedgewizard wrote:

Go ahead opsec, mount the chain gun and I'll buy it.  Throw in a couple thousand rounds of 30 mm.  I can always move the gun to something better able to carry the weight, and more fun, later.  Or did you mean some wimpy 7.62 mm chain gun?

Dude.  22 HP.  Unarmored targets.  Let's think more along the lines of 22LR.  Maybe a stripped down AM180.

http://cruel.storagelake.com/AM180_1.jpg

#25 2008-06-03 22:17:39

opsec wrote:

Dude.  22 HP.  Unarmored targets.  Let's think more along the lines of 22LR.  Maybe a stripped down AM180.

Dude, I was buying the gun and ammo.  The car you're mounting it to is like the free glass you got with a fill up at Diamond Shamrock.  (BEG)  I know about driving backwards up steep hills.  I want offensive driving lessons. 
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/52736/sch … e_driving/
I need to go get my dad's 34 Ford.  It has a fuel pump and the controls work like you expect.  Unarmored targets?  You don't visit the right neighborhoods.

#26 2008-06-03 22:48:54

reminds me of when I was stationed in Sicily with all the spandex wearing monkey loving bikers that take up the whole road on the way to the base.

#27 2008-06-04 02:56:37

tojo2000 wrote:

The ones that really get my goat, though, are the assholes riding in Critical Mass in San Francisco.  Some of them actually have the audacity to pretend like it's some kind of protest to raise awareness of commuting by bicycle, and all the while they're purposefully breaking the law and causing as much havoc as possible, chuckling away, and then getting indignant when someone in a car starts yelling.

Annoys the hell out of me. I've lived in San Francisco almost five years now and I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen a bicyclist stop at a stop sign rather than just racing on through the intersection.

https://cruelery.com/uploads/thumbs/12_extraction_of_the_plane_that_crashe.jpg

And airplane pilots who don't signal before they hit the ground really piss me off, too.

#28 2008-06-04 03:15:22

Taint wrote:

tojo2000 wrote:

The ones that really get my goat, though, are the assholes riding in Critical Mass in San Francisco.  Some of them actually have the audacity to pretend like it's some kind of protest to raise awareness of commuting by bicycle, and all the while they're purposefully breaking the law and causing as much havoc as possible, chuckling away, and then getting indignant when someone in a car starts yelling.

Annoys the hell out of me. I've lived in San Francisco almost five years now and I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen a bicyclist stop at a stop sign rather than just racing on through the intersection.

https://cruelery.com/uploads/thumbs/12_ … crashe.jpg

And airplane pilots who don't signal before they hit the ground really piss me off, too.

Yeah, those air brakes never work as advertised.

#29 2008-06-04 03:56:30

hedgewizard wrote:

I know about driving backwards up steep hills.

Ah, enough said.  It's not a skill one expects most people to have.

hedgewizard wrote:

I need to go get my dad's 34 Ford.  It has a fuel pump...

Actually so does this 'T.  It has a bicycle pump hidden under the seat to pressurize the tank.  I'm not above cheating.

#30 2008-06-05 06:12:20

Taint wrote:

Sidepic perfect.

https://cruelery.com/sidepic/corkscrew.taint.jpg

#32 2008-08-13 20:57:22

http://apina.nwpshost.com/8009.jpg

#33 2008-08-14 09:54:50

What gets me here in Florida is that the cyclists complained about how dangerous it was to ride in the street. So the taxpayers (me) ponied up almost $100 million to build a 40 mile, 12 foot wide paved path with night lighting and other amenities. It just finished last year. And you never see a bike on it. Where are they? In the street, same as always, speeding through stop lights and signs, going slow up hills, weaving all over the lane and riding side-by-side. All while there is an empty, new, lighted bike path 10 feet to their right.

#34 2008-08-14 19:09:36

Taint wrote:

tojo2000 wrote:

https://cruelery.com/uploads/thumbs/12_ … crashe.jpg

Awww, shit.  He probably just had the thing waxed, too.

#35 2008-08-18 21:53:37

http://ljplus.ru/img2/e/x/extel/050614_velik.jpg

Board footer

cruelery.com