• Home
  •  » High Street
  •  » High-Street stats............................................

#51 2008-07-18 06:24:54

Is this thread still here?

I scanned it a bit and decided to say this instead of tl;dr:

I say fuck with the format; as long as we're still able to post links and complain about the changes, I don't see what the problem would be.  I'm also all for removing HTML from the posting areas.  It's just a matter of time before someone does something nasty (at one point only admins could do that, has it changed?).

#52 2008-07-18 06:26:14

pALEPHx wrote:

You can't see who's online, you can't interact in more than a time-delayed fashion . . .

And, that's the way that we like it, damn-it!  Well, it's at least the way that I believe that the majority of us prefer it.  If this place ends up with a "chat feature" which one can't quickly figure out how to opt out of, I am "so fucking" out of here.

pALEPHx wrote:

Cruel is dead, and its spirit is being slowly pureed by a visual paucity that no longer serves the purpose it was intended to fulfill.

Whoa - Hey . . .  Don't go pointing fingers a-round here.  The spirit of Cruel was murdered by Rogers his-self with that final "up-grade."  The spirit died long be-fore the e-body.

#53 2008-07-18 06:54:52

square wrote:

Stock PunBB includes avatars, signatures, locations, and titles.  They've been disabled here, in some cases through configuration settings, in others by modifying the code itself, from what I can tell.

Also exorcised with a wooden stake, an evil incantation, and extreme prejudice, in as many cases as quickly as possible.

#54 2008-07-18 15:32:36

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

The "attract more nOObs with a shiny new interface" argument is specious and unwholesome.

Well, all this aside, do you have a BETTER way to do it? Perhaps you'll be selling Thin Mints outside the local Wal-Mart with your merit-badge sash on?

Square: If you would like for me to create an account for you at XM with admin privs, so you can view the ACP and judge the differences for yourself, then I would be willing to extend you that courtesy. The user would be demoted after you've made your visit.

Choad: Yes, yes, I think we get that you've declared Death to Cute and nixed avatars, sigs, and other frippery. What else died in this purge? Do your original reasons still stand, or is it too much work to undo all the plugs you've pulled? Is this how you see HS continuing, growing, and succeeding in the next 6 months, the next year?

Decadence: I wouldn't be thrilled with a chat feature either. The front page must be updated manually, items that disappear off the first page of threads are often ignored, and there but for the grace of stickies go our five most popular threads. The "extended group of [ir]regulars" don't interact daily, sometimes swinging back by once a month, if that. Retention is as important as recruitment, and I think we're hiding our [dark] light under a bushel, as it were. What have you seen that might prove otherwise?

#55 2008-07-18 15:37:22

Other than cakefa, I mean Paleo, is anyone interested in changing the basic software?

#56 2008-07-18 16:03:13

I happen to like the no avatars/sigs, minimalist thing with very few exceptions.  While it'd be nice to have a proper wysiwyg editor, I get by just fine without it, and everyone else seems to too.

It's your world, holmes, I'm just livin' in it.

#57 2008-07-18 16:09:43

I just don't know enough about this stuff to comment on the software. I find the site easy to navigate, but if there are better ways to do so without messing up the ease of the place, I'd be for it. But, like Jesus, I prefer not having avatars, as well.

#58 2008-07-18 16:28:19

I think the priority should be a better front page, but I can't think of any way that doesn't involve a human doing some write-ups.

#59 2008-07-18 16:58:28

orangeplus wrote:

Other than cakefa, I mean Paleo, is anyone interested in changing the basic software?

Like Taint, I am too ignorant of software in general to feel qualified to comment about it.  I like the look of the site, and how it works now, just fine; but if a redesign would reduce others' labor in the long run, for instance, then I certainly would not complain.

I think avatars and signatures are dumb dumb dumb.  But I wouldn't leave the site if the options were offered and others put them to use.  I notice that the signature option is available, but no one is using it.  (I find it hard to imagine a High-Street with avatars that wouldn't get us all fired from our jobs if we were caught with 'em on our screens during the working day.)

I agree we need new blood (heh), but I can't really think of a way to attract it.  I don't see how a site redesign would do it for us.

Let those who have to do the labor put their heads together and decide what to do; and let us kibbitzers stay the fuck out of it.

On the subject of new contributors, many of you seem to have forgotten the old Cruel pattern--the only model we really have to go on:  For every individual who was simultaneously interested, interesting and self-assured enough to weather the initial hazing/abuse, there were scores of people who posted once or twice and then scampered off (due to intimidation, embarassment, boredom, lack of compatibility with our weird-ass moral structure, whatever).

High-Street is never going to be Fark.  And if it were, we'd all leave.

#60 2008-07-18 17:08:47

You want new blood? Link Exchange, it's just that easy.

#61 2008-07-18 17:24:36

Orange is right. Link exchange is a good idea. If Tojo's idea of doing any kind of writing for the front page is feasible, I would be willing to commit to a certain amount on a weekly basis. I suspect you weren't thinking of anything specific, Tojo, but did you have a general idea in mind?

#62 2008-07-18 17:54:03

I would have to agree that the front page--being the first and foremost thing any new visitor might see, short of a direct link to a thread, and I note that my query about SEO was never answered--is currently a bigger handicap than anything else. Any decent CMS could replace it, though I do not personally know which ones work with Pun. (here's one, but there appear to be a number of security holes, according to teh Google)

And let's not get tied up on the whole sigs/avatars thing. While I do feel that they lend more personality to individuals that are just screennames here (and we're never as popular as in our own minds, certainly), I'm still not hearing a specific reason why they were done away with, right off the bat. The impression I'm beginning to draw is that regulars--whether they have any sort of technical knowledge or not seems no bar to having an opinion--want the place to be as unappetizing as the content. In that, there would seem to be no logical argument forthcoming.

Do we genuinely care to have new faces and voices around here, or is it supposed to all be some sort of invite-only backroom where nobody does much inviting? Link exchanges are forum-based prostitution, but they're better than nothing. What exactly would we have to offer another site, presumably a "content peer," and who would those "peers" be?

#63 2008-07-18 18:08:55

Choad did away with avatarts and such when he first set up the site, and a good decision it was. As to the front page, I would just assume as ditch it altogether. This site is about the main forum page, the front page serves no real purpose here and only makes it more difficult to find the good stuff. Now I don't think many people here care too much about the look and feel one way or the other, we come for the conversation and venality, not to be impressed with someone's CSS skills. New blood is good, but I come here for this community and I don't care to see it drastically changed just to see our Alexa ranking to go up or to win awards for our soothing and lovely templates to some out-of-the-box CMS system.

Having said that, I would be willing to add a small blogroll/Link Exchange app. We do that, we trade with Unknown Highway, Fat Jerry, and Everlastingblort and others and we will get new people.

#64 2008-07-18 18:15:43

one thing on look and feel, lets get rid of that blue shit for the default template. it's too strong a color and looking at it gives me a headache if I'm not logged in.

#65 2008-07-18 18:20:49

orangeplus wrote:

one thing on look and feel, lets get rid of that blue shit for the default template. it's too strong a color and looking at it gives me a headache if I'm not logged in.

+1 to that.

#66 2008-07-18 18:38:16

What O+ said X 2. Kill the front page. It's like putting a chastity belt on Tojo's grandmother. Change the default template - it's like drowning a kitten in vomit.

#67 2008-07-18 18:39:51

orangeplus wrote:

You want new blood? Link Exchange, it's just that easy.

I orginally wrote the side banner script to randomly select a link to appear under each image but then I got waylaid elsewhere.

Our greatest number of referrals still arrive thanks to rcade at Drudge and he's no doubt impatiently waiting for us to reciprocate.

#68 2008-07-18 18:44:13

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

What O+ said X 2. Kill the front page. It's like putting a chastity belt on Tojo's grandmother. Change the default template - it's like drowning a kitten in vomit.

I'm there, but strictly out of respect for Tojo's sainted grandma.

Anyone interested in redesigning the default style (fuck y'all, I like blue) has my blessing. Please start with a style like Oxygen ( here and here ) to retain display and enabled function.

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

Last edited by choad (2008-07-18 18:53:12)

#69 2008-07-18 18:45:51

Orange et al:  What's your choice for a replacement for the blue?

Last edited by George Orr (2008-07-18 18:48:45)

#70 2008-07-18 18:52:13

George Orr wrote:

Orange et al:  What's your choice for a replacement for the blue?

I'm hep to "sadness", it's easy on the eyes. We'll never have a really good one, since we cannot control how the head banners will look against any given template. I will admit a fondness for dark backgrounds with light text - easier for an old systems guy like me to look at.

#71 2008-07-18 18:54:56

I'm using sulphur. Its colour scheme is simple if a bit ugly, but more important, it's clean, open, and everything is easy to read, despite some weird grey shit happening inside the post boxes. There are others that work equally well. I'd advise against solid colour backgrounds, they might be fun for a while, but ultimately they remind me of children's bedrooms...mmm...children's bedrooms....

#72 2008-07-18 18:56:57

Awright, someone put up a poll listing all the colors of the rainbow. Then we can get to work. My two cents; multi-color does not work at all.

#73 2008-07-18 18:58:52

My vote goes for Cobalt.  It's easy on the eyes, albeit a bit boring.

#74 2008-07-18 19:16:39

I've got an idea. Let's change the site into an MMORPG. I know it's radical, but you can't be radical without the "rad" right? We could wander around a fictional "high-street" conversing and killing each other - not with weapons, but with put-downs, vicious aspersions and overweening displays of intellectual verisimilitude. The medium of exchange could be the "corpsmid," and, of course, the smaller or sexier the corpsmid, the more it's worth. And of course, if you speak the word "Plugh" you're automatically transferred to some mirror of goatse.cx and banned from the site for a week. Well...that's all the time and energy I'm willing to put into that idea. Someone else run with it for a while.

#75 2008-07-18 19:23:57

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

I've got an idea. Let's change the site into an MMORPG. I know it's radical, but you can't be radical without the "rad" right? We could wander around a fictional "high-street" conversing and killing each other - not with weapons, but with put-downs, vicious aspersions and overweening displays of intellectual verisimilitude. The medium of exchange could be the "corpsmid," and, of course, the smaller or sexier the corpsmid, the more it's worth. And of course, if you speak the word "Plugh" you're automatically transferred to some mirror of goatse.cx and banned from the site for a week. Well...that's all the time and energy I'm willing to put into that idea. Someone else run with it for a while.

I have some experience running a Diku MUD, though it has been many years.

#76 2008-07-18 19:32:33

jesusluvspegging wrote:

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

I have some experience running a Diku MUD, though it has been many years.

I played Arctic on-and-off for years. Couldn't make the transition to MMORPG's etc...too unimaginative compared to the beauty of a well-developed text-based universe.

#77 2008-07-18 19:40:39

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

I played Arctic on-and-off for years. Couldn't make the transition to MMORPG's etc...too unimaginative compared to the beauty of a well-developed text-based universe.

Amen.  Plus, any good MUD would allow user submitted mods/regions/quests, an element that WoW and its blasphemous ilk neglect.

#78 2008-07-18 19:50:21

jesusluvspegging wrote:

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

Amen.  Plus, any good MUD would allow user submitted mods/regions/quests, an element that WoW and its blasphemous ilk neglect.

There we go then - I propose we turn High-Street.org into a MUD. Seconded?

#79 2008-07-18 19:51:42

cakefart

#80 2008-07-18 19:51:42

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

Seconded?

No.

#81 2008-07-18 19:53:15

Mr. Orange has made some insightful observations. 

Cruel was a large audience that browsed the site once a day.  A fairly small and courageous (or foolish) percentage made it's way to the forums.  High-Street is mostly composed of us, the dispossessed redheaded stepchildren, who never did care about the front page.  Fortunately this site indexes well, so  new meat springs occasionally from Google. 

If the front page isn't going to be a draw, then kill it.   In the mean time Mods and Admins, please feel free to elevate topics. 

I'm with Tojo on Cobalt, it's a comforting monochromatic.

#82 2008-07-18 19:54:44

opsec wrote:

As I mentioned earlier, Cobalt is my color scheme of preference.

#83 2008-07-18 20:04:34

jesusluvspegging wrote:

opsec wrote:

As I mentioned earlier, Cobalt is my color scheme of preference.

It's always good to be right with Jesus. 

That's 3 votes, we have a Cobalt bloc.

#84 2008-07-18 20:14:22

At least Cobalt is open and orderly and fills the screen. I don't find the colours inviting, but really, none of the options are beautiful and who the fuck cares. Add me to the Cobalt bloc.

#85 2008-07-18 20:29:50

We can always modify the templates. I like the cobalt layout, hate that power blue, would like layout like cobalt, colors like sadness

#86 2008-07-18 20:36:37

Give me Emergency Day-Glo Orange for the front page, like please.

#87 2008-07-18 20:51:48

Dmtdust wrote:

Give me Emergency Day-Glo Orange for the front page, like please.

If it doesn't strobe between that and day-glo green at ~4 hz then I'm not interested.

#88 2008-07-18 20:58:00

opsec wrote:

If the front page isn't going to be a draw, then kill it.   In the mean time Mods and Admins, please feel free to elevate topics.

Huh? Explain, please.

#89 2008-07-19 00:43:06

No shit, you can't elevate shit around here...

#90 2008-07-19 04:48:12

choad wrote:

opsec wrote:

Huh? Explain, please.

Right, well what I meant was Mods and Admins, feel free to select a topic that you like, and copy the url into notepad.  Then copy or capture a representative still, resize it and upload it to a server.  Add attribution and a witty title, then format it so that it more or less matches the front page template, then post the whole mess to local.  Go back and edit your fuckups, and voila.

I got a little fast and loose with the term "elevate".

BTW, my old tired eyes like new larger Cobalt font.

#91 2008-07-19 05:12:28

opsec wrote:

BTW, my old tired eyes like new larger Cobalt font.

Oh thank cunt, someone else sees it.  I thought linux had had its heathen way with my fucking fonts again.

Last edited by jesusluvspegging (2008-07-19 05:12:40)

#92 2008-07-19 08:21:07

pALEPHx wrote:

most of them don't even know there can be something better, or what the options are

Wow.  High-Street elitism.

I have used the Cobalt setting since the get go.  It looks even better now.

#93 2008-07-19 09:22:06

MSG Tripps wrote:

pALEPHx wrote:

most of them don't even know there can be something better, or what the options are

You're most welcome. Didn't realize so many are using it.

A 10px font is for preschoolers with perfect vision. Shout and I'll change that powder blue text to something more palatable.

#94 2008-07-19 10:28:09

I gotta say, since it's come up, that most of the fonts are really small.  But I just increase the font size in my browser...a couple times.  Maybe three.

#95 2008-07-19 11:01:57

George Orr wrote:

I gotta say, since it's come up, that most of the fonts are really small.  But I just increase the font size in my browser...a couple times.  Maybe three.

I just move my head closer to the screen.

#96 2008-07-19 11:47:28

MSG Tripps wrote:

pALEPHx wrote:

Ditto.  My aging eyes thank you.

#97 2008-07-19 14:25:56

I've been using Oxygen. Cobalt and Sadness aren't bad. On an aesthetic level, they're quite nice, but I find Oxygen easy to follow.

#98 2008-07-19 20:00:37

How did this change from a discussion about software capability into a fey little chat about color schemes? Goodness gracious, have I turned you ALL gay? Fuckitty fuck fuck...

#99 2008-07-19 20:02:10

pALEPHx wrote:

How did this change from a discussion about software capability into a fey little chat about color schemes? Goodness gracious, have I turned you ALL gay? Fuckitty fuck fuck...

Perhaps we should let Pale figure out the color scheme cause he's the gayest one here....  Those fellers are super with that kind of stuff................

#100 2008-07-19 20:05:46

Dirckman wrote:

Perhaps we should let Pale figure out the color scheme cause he's the gayest one here....  Those fellers are super with that kind of stuff................

Where's lurker when you need him?

• Home
  •  » High Street
  •  » High-Street stats............................................

Board footer

cruelery.com