#51 2008-08-12 10:43:47

My suggestions (I am trying to keep in mind that they have to be small):

Prescription pill bottle (to represent all toxins, both recreational and prescribed [you know a high percentage of us gotta be on prescriptions])

Booky the Nerdy Cartoon Owl

Sexually suggestive flower (phallic, vagina-like or both; perhaps a stylized orchid)

Lil' Cthulhu

Ass wearing a hat ("ass" meaning either animal or human derriere)

Pistol

Horse head in circle with diagonal slash

...If I have any other flashes of brilliant insight, I'll be sure to share them.

#52 2008-08-12 14:12:14

George Orr wrote:

Horse head in circle with diagonal slash.

Qualifies as a mystical symbol; transforms the crest into an amulet. Are we using it to ward off demons?

Also, what does the owl actually mean?

#53 2008-08-12 21:21:34

pALEPHx wrote:

Are we using it to ward off demons

Is this your first day?

#54 2008-08-12 22:17:48

OH Scotty... Glad you're still among the living!

#55 2008-08-13 00:23:19

Scotty wrote:

Is this your first day?

No. I just see no reason to commemorate/immortalize him, either. There will already be a pre-hatted ass. Additional equines are unnecessary.

#56 2008-08-13 00:36:24

pALEPHx wrote:

No. I just see no reason to commemorate/immortalize him, either. There will already be a pre-hatted ass. Additional equines are unnecessary.

Pale gotta point.  And I say that as the person who proposed it in the first place.

You asked what the Lil' Owl is about...well, it was a link, wasn't it, people?  To one of rcade's other sites?  I can't remember.  I only remember that it seemed incredibly inappropriate, and we ragged rcade about it a lot.

#57 2008-08-16 01:09:37

If only there was some way to make an identifiable graphic out of this:

http://fubiz.net/blog/images/septembre/bong-vodka.jpg

OK, kids. I'm in the home stretch on collecting images. I will still be happy to accept submissions. Strangely, I'm finding the 'drug' images hardest to single out. There are so MANY, but so few lend themselves to combination on a coat of arms. Best if they could be found individually, probably, and are on white/monochromatic backgrounds. I can likely convert a photo to a graphic, but not if the "subject matter" is buried in a bunch of other stuff (i.e., someone is smoking a joint in a group pic, etc).

#58 2008-08-16 17:05:27

I am beginning to edit images. Last call, folks.

#59 2008-08-16 17:18:19

I want a pony!

#60 2008-08-16 17:47:08

Mister Rogers, since all of us love him so.

#61 2008-08-16 19:28:15

tojo2000 wrote:

I want a pony!

You may have two. And three middle fingers, two weed leaves, two lolcats, an owl, a couple of absinthe spoons, a syringe, etc. etc. Here is a partial collection of the images I've assembled and edited to match the old-time-y look of a crest. Obviously, this is in no way final or intended to be representative of the end product. I just need some advice narrowing down the glut of graphic selections everyone has made.

http://www.xmere.com/forums/uploads/highstreet/hs_coa01.jpg

This is far larger than the final size/resolution the crest will be at. It's only this big to see the pieces-parts. We still need some Latin. If I don't get something better than "up yours," then I'll be forced to choose something else, and I don't wanna go with IN CAUDA VENENUM.

Oh, and fuck Mr. Rogers. We may go for a Rape Lite on our childhoods 'round here, but I really don't need good ol' Fred starin' out at me from an image like what will obviously result from the above.

#62 2008-08-16 19:33:34

OK, I advise keeping the center guy-giving-the-bird, the donkey-in-a-hat on the right, the cruel-bodyless-head in the middle (natch), the owl and the right-hand potleaf (which perhaps you could attach to one of those poison-ivy-looking leaves, like they're growing from the same plant?).

For the latin I still suggest "Let the reader beware" (Caveat Lector).

#63 2008-08-16 20:33:21

What was wrong with Facio Quidnam Volo?  (It means "I do what I like.")

Keep the cleaner-looking bong on the right; keep the middle finger to the furthest right; lose the all-black skull and crossbones and the hammerhead shark.  Beheaded Boy is a far better reference to the Cruel of Old than the bookworm owl, in spite of all the stuff I said before.  The grainier image of the absinthe spoon is great; it has a sort of medieval look even if you don't know right off what it's supposed to be.

#64 2008-08-17 00:39:28

Getting closer....

http://www.xmere.com/forums/uploads/highstreet/shield01a.jpg

#65 2008-08-17 00:53:59

I think you're on the right track - however, IMHO, it's a bit heavy on the drug imagery.

#66 2008-08-17 00:55:30

karenw wrote:

I think you're on the right track - however, IMHO, it's a bit heavy on the drug imagery.

I'll second that.  I'm a strict alcoholist myself.

#67 2008-08-17 01:10:16

karenw wrote:

Suggestions:  Replace the chronic leaves up top with blue-footed boobies (the pic of one standing on one foot w/ the other foot raised).  Tilt the top of the bong a bit to the right, so it's slanted; tip the finger of the bird gesture so it slants to the left.

Love love love the femur-shadows.  Love the lolcat but not so sure about the asshat.  Perhaps both could be a bit smaller.

#68 2008-08-17 12:02:40

It is a brutal crime against all aesthetic sensibility.  Wonderful!

Last edited by square (2008-08-17 12:13:32)

#69 2008-08-17 16:21:30

karenw wrote:

IMHO, it's a bit heavy on the drug imagery.

It is the sum of what has been directed into it. There are pot leaves, a bong, two hypos, a bottle and two absinthe spoons (which to my eye, visually double as shovels if you don't know what they are). It's presently saved as a 43 Mb layered Photoshop file, so I can drop/add at will. Remove the what, now?

George Orr wrote:

Love the lolcat but not so sure about the asshat. Perhaps both could be a bit smaller.

I think the image generally suffers from being too cramped/crowded. It's not supposed to have its elements quite so on top of one another, as it will be wider and a bit taller, relative to its current size, once it's scaled down to about 600-700 px wide. Throwing another animal in there might unbalance the whole thing. I was going to add some XXXs on the bottle, too.

I will probably also blacken the pot leaves so that they blend into the scrollwork. Any other suggestions before I begin to finalize the thing? "Caveat lector" sounds like Hannibal Lecter. Some Latin phrases, for consideration:

- A verbis ad verbera (from words to blows)
- Abyssus abyssum invocat (my personal fave, "Hell calls Hell," one abuse invites another)
- Aegri somnia (a sick man's dreams)
- Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita (life is too short to dance with ugly women)
- Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam ("I have a catapult. Give me all your money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head" a bit too verbose, but funny)
- Cogito sumere potum alterum (I think I'll have another drink)
- De inimico non loquaris sed cogites (Don't wish ill for your enemy; plan it)
- Eventus stultorum magister ("Events are the teacher of the stupid persons." Stupid people learn by experience, bright people calculate)
- Hostis humani generis (Enemy of the Human Race)
- In necessariis unitas, in dubiis libertas, in omnibus cupiditas (In necessary things unity, in doubtful things liberty, in all things greed)
- In partibus infidelium (In parts inhabited by unbelievers)
- Latro! fremo! (Woof, woof! Grrr!)
- Lupus est homo homini (man is wolf to man)
- Non scholae sed vitae discimus (We do not learn for school, but for life)
- Omnes lagani pistrinae gelate male sapiunt (All frozen pizzas taste lousy...just kidding)
- Omnes una manet nox (The same night awaits us all)
- Pares cum paribus (Like persons with like persons. Birds of a feather flock together)
- Quae nocent, saepe docent (What hurts, often instructs)
- Quod minimum specimen in te ingenii? ("What microscopic evidence of wit can be found in you?")
- Stercus accidit (Shit happens)
- Valui ad satanam in computatrum meum invocandum ("I succeeded in summoning satan into my computer")

#70 2008-08-17 16:32:33

Ab Absurdo

as in

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/9509/highstreetseallg6.gif

#71 2008-08-17 16:46:22

Quae nocent, saepe docent (What hurts, often instructs)

That one.

#72 2008-08-17 18:45:50

Illic es haud periculosus venenum - Tantum periculosus populus* (You know, since the drug theme seemed so popular {I didn't hear you bastards complaining be-fore})

George Orr wrote:

Quae nocent, saepe docent (What hurts, often instructs)

That one.

Yeah - Definitely the most appropriate (Despite our, now, kinder and gentler "nature" {Hey, I'm fucking trying at least.  Give a damned break here!})

*There are no dangerous drugs - Only dangerous people (Or, at least, a "bastardization" there-of)

#73 2008-08-17 19:58:09

Decadence wrote:

Illic es haud periculosus venenum - Tantum periculosus populus* (You know, since the drug theme seemed so popular {I didn't hear you bastards complaining be-fore})

I didn't chime in before because there were already way too many cooks for this particular broth, and there are definitely varying levels of drug use among our members, though I never really saw it as a theme or meme of the board.

#74 2008-08-17 21:15:38

tojo2000 wrote:

I didn't chime in before because there were already way too many cooks for this particular broth, and there are definitely varying levels of drug use among our members, though I never really saw it as a theme or meme of the board.

May-Haps not a theme . . .  I believe that most of the contributors were simply attempting to pay tribute to the muses which guided them in Crueler days™.  Hey, at least he "toned it down a bit" for you, "Squares."

Full disclosure:  Actually, I only saw both drafts shortly prior to my last posting in this thread, and - My-Self - felt rather "over-taken" by the preponderance of that particular influence in the initial draft.  So, the last draft - For the most part - seems a fair compromise to me.  Hey, I've no clue where all of those damned suggestions originated from either (And, I certainly can't be bothered to read the entire thread again).  Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to defecate against the wall, and crawl in-to a small space to sleep for a-while.

#75 2008-08-17 21:27:31

Fair enough.  By the way, was there a sale on hyphens at the Piggly-Wiggly or something?

#76 2008-08-17 21:54:45

tojo2000 wrote:

Fair enough.  By the way, was there a sale on hyphens at the Piggly-Wiggly or something?

I thought that I'd "covered that" on Cruel at some-point; But, put simply, it's a personal protest against Webster's.  Say what you want; But, unlike those arrogant bastards at Webster's, at least I'm not trying to drag any-body else in-to my "cause."

#77 2008-08-17 22:02:48

Decadence wrote:

tojo2000 wrote:

I thought that I'd "covered that" on Cruel at some-point; But, put simply, it's a personal protest against Webster's.  Say what you want; But, unlike those arrogant bastards at Webster's, at least I'm not trying to drag any-body else in-to my "cause."

Plus, the higher I am, the more those extraneous hyphens stab me in the fucking brain.  It's a brilliant tactic, really.

#78 2008-08-17 22:18:59

Decadence wrote:

tojo2000 wrote:

You probably did, but that was ages and three DNS changes ago.  I think it would really drive me batty if it wasn't obviously intentional.

#79 2008-08-17 22:25:54

http://www.xmere.com/forums/uploads/highstreet/highstreet_coatofarms.jpg

#80 2008-08-17 23:04:27

Brilliant!

When will the T-shirts be ready?

#81 2008-08-17 23:07:36

It can go to the left of the top banner of the home page.

Or it can go on the left of the caveat on the home page.  (It could replace Mr. Natural, but I kinda like Mr. Natural where he is.)

#82 2008-08-17 23:11:35

Nice and clean - For the most part, I like it.  Is this the final draft?

The only image which I don't particularly care for is the skull and crossed-bones - Not only be-cause I'm not entirely certain what the reference is supposed to be, but that it stands out - To me - as a bit "cliché" (It is still all-right for a "straight guy" to use the term "cliché" these days, isn't it? {I did sleep through most of a year of French class, if that matters}).

The baby's rattle in the bottom quarter doesn't bother me; But, could some-body - Please - tell me what in the fuck that is?

Post-Script:

Snowball wrote:

Ooh, yeah . . .  Lose the skull and crossed-bones and I'm in for a T-shirt.

Last edited by Decadence (2008-08-17 23:29:34)

#83 2008-08-17 23:14:06

It's a durian.  The world's stinkiest, yet most sublimely tasty fruit.  Kinda like Pale.

#84 2008-08-17 23:22:14

George Orr wrote:

CafePress.com is open 24/7:

http://www.xmere.com/forums/uploads/highstreet/hs_jersey.jpg

WTF is correct. It's durian, but the fact that it resembles either a baby rattle or a mace works too. As for removing the skull, suggest a replacement or STFU. This is a "final" as it's getting this evening. We'll wait and see a couple of days if anyone else wants to chime in.

#85 2008-08-17 23:53:41

pALEPHx wrote:

As for removing the skull, suggest a replacement or STFU. This is a "final" as it's getting this evening. We'll wait and see a couple of days if anyone else wants to chime in.

I'm not exactly what one might refer to as "clear-headed" this evening; But, given our history of file-sharing, a pirate its-self would not only be less of an eye-sore, but - All-So - more appropriate (Yeah, technically, the skull and crossed-bones works on the file-sharing level as well; Still . . .).  But, yeah, I'd like to see more suggestions.  What's the rush?  It's not like we're preparing to invade a sovereign nation here.  Let's see what the citizenry has to say.

#86 2008-08-18 00:07:21

Decadence wrote:

What's the rush?  It's not like we're preparing to invade a sovereign nation here.

What the--So I've wasted my weekend drawing up these maps and setting up all this jamming equipment and--When did the plans change?  Why didn't I get an e-mail or something?

Sonofa.

#87 2008-08-18 02:29:39

Snowball wrote:

What the--So I've wasted my weekend drawing up these maps and setting up all this jamming equipment and--When did the plans change?  Why didn't I get an e-mail or something?

Sonofa.

Yeah . . .  Sorry about that - Last minute "kind-of-thing."  Apparently, one of our operatives had a one-night . . .  Okay, two-night . . .  (Fine it was four nights.  Are you happy?) stand with a "busty" lobbyist for AIPAC, and allowed just a bit too much information to slip (In my defense, I've been training in a fucking desert for the last fifteen years whilst you bastards were "getting the in-side scoop" on the District of Columbia "social scene" - Not a-lot of members of the opposite sex out here).

Any-Way, to make a long-story short, we've delayed all further plans until we can thoroughly analyze the recent video of John McCain be-fore a crowd at a Hooters restaurant in Atlanta, proclaiming that our organization "is a threat to Freedom© which should be handled not with a tender hand, but the harsh lash of a Democratic Peoples© which has a bit of experience on the right side of the whip."  At that point, he seems to "doze-off" for a few seconds mumbling unintelligibly (Seemingly, some-thing about lost change in cushions in which we should not believe - Hard to tell at this point in the video).  At the nudging of an aide, the senator seems to "snap a-wake," stare wide-eyed at the hand-full of seemingly confused gatherers for a few moments, and launch in-to a diatribe about why "Cynthia could take all of you Bitches in a wet t-shirt contest."  Need-Less to say, our operatives have been "having a bit of a time" trying to de-code this one.

So, once we've worked this all out, we'll be in touch.  And, in the mean-time, don't fore-get to water my ficus every-day.  Seriously, those things are quite sensitive.  And, as you should all-ready know, Mister Whiskers only gets the moist food (If you've attempted to feed him "dried cat-foods," you - No doubt - all-ready realize the reason for this).  Oh, and, could you send me some Chap-Stick and any compact discs that Sound Garden has released since that "Down On The Up-Side" disc that you sent me some years a-go (Seriously, that disc has "kept me a-live" out here; But, I've "worn it down," and "need an-other dose").  Thanks!

We may soon enough reclaim our home-land in Georgia (Those fucking Floridians on their own though, as far as I'm concerned).

#88 2008-08-19 01:51:52

Decadence wrote:

Cake-Fart

Replace the skull with what, you said?

#89 2008-08-19 02:07:33

I like the idea of a skull and crossbones, but the one on the shield looks squashed.  If there isn’t another one available, I can send you a transparency of the Flying Spaghetti Monster as an alternative.  You would need to tweak the color to match the tones of the other icons.

#90 2008-08-19 02:23:35

I can get my own FSM graphic, if it comes to that, but thanks for the offer. I can certainly find a different skull, as well. I'd still prefer someone else's suggestion, if they can find a better version.

#91 2008-08-28 00:17:37

Well, it's been ten days and I wanted to know if anyone had a different suggestion for the top quadrant.

#92 2008-08-28 07:19:52

Thanks for the reminder. I've got another skull somewhere; I'll try to find it today or tomorrow. I'm taking to the air shortly after lunch, so my internet access will be limited this afternoon.

#93 2008-08-28 15:48:06

Personally, I think the bong should be replaced with a Bonsai Kitten or a M&M Mini's tube.

#94 2008-08-28 17:19:27

Roger_That wrote:

Personally, I think the bong should be replaced with a Bonsai Kitten or a M&M Mini's tube.

A Minis tube would have more "local" relevance. Using [a] Bonsai Kitten would be "too narrow an application of a broad meme." Which is to say, it was an interesting and putatively 'important' Internet phenomenon, but not one that necessarily defines HS. Besides, add another cat there, and then we have to replace the one to the left. Presently, the only element I'm not personally thrilled by is the owl.

#95 2008-08-28 21:11:43

"... Presently, the only element I'm not personally thrilled by is the owl."

Owl Hater

#96 2008-08-28 21:18:30

The cat needs to be dead, a la "Free Cat".

The donkey needs to be dressed like a woman.

http://www.vbs.tv/video.php?id=823490101

#97 2008-08-28 21:20:13

shagnasty wrote:

"... Presently, the only element I'm not personally thrilled by is the owl."

Owl Hater

Dad, get me a burrow owl, I'll never ask for anything else as long as I live.

#98 2008-08-29 00:10:24

I WANT A SHIRT!!!!

Also, can we make a "junior high streeter" shirt for the kiddies? Even if they can't log on? And without the bong or anything drug/booze related?

Last edited by icangetyouatoe (2008-08-29 00:13:11)

#99 2008-08-29 00:17:24

icangetyouatoe wrote:

I WANT A SHIRT!!!!

Also, can we make a "junior high streeter" shirt for the kiddies? Even if they can't log on? And without the bong or anything drug/booze related?

Yeah, whoever it is who's paying the bills on high-street.org needs to set up a cafepress shop.

#100 2008-08-29 02:34:13

icangetyouatoe wrote:

I WANT A SHIRT!!!!

We're barely done with this one and I have to do a PG-rated version? I'd better get a cut of those CafePress profits.

Actually, whenever we've settled on a final design or designs, I'll make the CafePress thing myself.

Board footer

cruelery.com