#51 2007-10-21 19:30:39

Roger_That wrote:

Oh, aside of the Honda Accord Coupe V6 EX I drive, my other vehicle is a 49" historic wooden sailboat...

It doesn't go fast, but it sure is purrrty.

The coolest car I owned was a 96 Toyota Supra Turbo.  That was a fun car.

Mine was a red '89 Supra Turbo with a targa top and it was the first car Mr. Sofie ever bought me, and it wasn't brand-new when I got it, but I loved that car sooooo much. It was back in '92, and it had the biggest assed cellphone (with a wire, of course) ever in it. I later sold it to my brother-in-law, because he loved it even more than I did. I would get guys leaving notes on my car - not becuase of my hawtness, but asking me to call them if I wanted to sell the car.

#52 2007-10-21 19:52:17

My friend with the biofuel engineering business  located the exact car  I wanted to replace my daily use of a toyota suv I used for work. But as only 1000 of them were imported before the US market became devoid of diesel wagons or larger sedans in 1998, it was a rather desirable auto. He was able to realize a substantial profit by selling it to someone else for more than it cost new. This being  9 year old, 95k mile, Passat diesel wagon. with a single tank warm climate bio fuel conversion, pre-upmarket restyling.

So I settled on a very affordable used Jetta 1.9 TDI I4 and for a paltry sum converted it myself, with guidance  to  run on 100% biofuel. Nothing special was required as I rarely need to start it in  freezing weather. Very simple fuel line plumbing really. My friend had already figured out which electronic control chip to install to retune the TDI engines. I splurged on a large pallet loaded  plastic agriculture tank I keep next to the garage. No fire or EPA hazard, its vegi oil after all. This allows me to participate in community purchases of soy oil. Some large wineries are in our group.  This knocked the price down to  $1.20/ g. The price of bio fuel has gone way up this year but I topped off  6 months ago and should not have to buy fuel till next summer.

Even with the lower energy content of pure soy oil, this car gets over 40 mpg. and has about a 600 mile range. I have only paid at a gas atation on the return trips from the NW.

In 2004 VW again started imported a Diesel wagon. As soon as the price comes down next year I will buy one and convert it.  These newer engines have a redesigned fuel injection control that greatly improves emmissions even if they are a bit more finicky about bio fuel quality when used at high % mixes.

Last edited by Johnny Rotten (2007-10-21 20:33:19)

#53 2007-10-21 20:07:52

Emmeran wrote:

Emmeran commutes with a 2003 Neon SRT-4.  Ugly, cheap car but very fast and good gas mileage.  Am in the market for a mid-sixties Chevy or Dodge pickup though if you're looking to unload one.

I had an early 1960s Power Wagon and another one from 25 years later that had the exact same engine execpt for those pesky emission doo dads Both ran for  300k miles and needed nothing except for hoses, starter and the odd pump seals. The bodies fell apart before the engine gave out and I have fond memories of making a final drive in one of them 40 miles across the countryside in an open seat mounted on the frame rails after all the body panels and cab structure had been removed.

Last edited by Johnny Rotten (2007-10-21 20:13:50)

#54 2007-10-21 20:20:36

Roger_That wrote:

That is why I'm working on my 50 ton inland master's ticket. 

It is one of only 13 that still float.

My captain, my captain.

I bet you would run a tight ship. It takes a firm hand to keep the scallywags in line. Good on ya mate. Do you have all the current time to sit for the tests?

Last edited by Johnny Rotten (2007-10-21 21:23:22)

#55 2007-10-21 22:47:49

Johnny Rotten wrote:

Emmeran wrote:

Emmeran commutes with a 2003 Neon SRT-4.  Ugly, cheap car but very fast and good gas mileage.  Am in the market for a mid-sixties Chevy or Dodge pickup though if you're looking to unload one.

I had an early 1960s Power Wagon and another one from 25 years later that had the exact same engine execpt for those pesky emission doo dads Both ran for  300k miles and needed nothing except for hoses, starter and the odd pump seals. The bodies fell apart before the engine gave out and I have fond memories of making a final drive in one of them 40 miles across the countryside in an open seat mounted on the frame rails after all the body panels and cab structure had been removed.

Well the turbo Neon is doing 32+ mpg and 13 sec 1/4 miles which makes me very happy.  But I need a truck I can Hot Rod out to ease my torque addiction.  Also need a lead sled for my soon to be driving daughter - the princess has made her wishes known!!

Board footer

cruelery.com