#1 2008-10-01 21:25:01

Do people even fall for internet scams anymore? I'm trying to sell a classic VW on craigslist and received this in my inbox today:

Hi
Thanks for your mail,am really happy to hear that its still available for sales i will like to proceed with your payment asap and will like to handle the shipment myself when you must have gotten your cash at hand.I have a personal shipper who will come for the pick up with some other items i bought after the funds has been cleared at your bank. My mode of payment of payment will be via Bank Certified Check .I will need your your full name and address with phone number to send the check to you which you receive within 2 days. Kindly get the posting deleted if you are ok with my mode of payment. I will await your email asap.
Thanks
Charles King
139 lake rd
ABBOTT, Ms.39773

The spelling and grammar are atrocious, and the narrative makes no sense. I suppose that the scammers wouldn't continue if this didn't work, at least part of the time . . . I'm having trouble imagining what kind of moron would fall for this.

I told him off, but later regretted not stringing him along and having fun at his expense.

Last edited by karenw (2008-10-01 21:25:23)

#2 2008-10-01 22:13:00

karenw wrote:

I told him off, but later regretted not stringing him along and having fun at his expense.

You clearly have a lot of leisure time.

#3 2008-10-02 00:43:26

karenw wrote:

Do people even fall for internet scams anymore? I'm trying to sell a classic VW on craigslist and received this in my inbox today:

Hi
Thanks for your mail,am really happy to hear that its still available for sales i will like to proceed with your payment asap and will like to handle the shipment myself when you must have gotten your cash at hand.I have a personal shipper who will come for the pick up with some other items i bought after the funds has been cleared at your bank. My mode of payment of payment will be via Bank Certified Check .I will need your your full name and address with phone number to send the check to you which you receive within 2 days. Kindly get the posting deleted if you are ok with my mode of payment. I will await your email asap.
Thanks
Charles King
139 lake rd
ABBOTT, Ms.39773

The spelling and grammar are atrocious, and the narrative makes no sense. I suppose that the scammers wouldn't continue if this didn't work, at least part of the time . . . I'm having trouble imagining what kind of moron would fall for this.

Yes, morons fall for it.  I had someone who came to me because she purchased a Harley Davidson motorcycle from craigslist from someone allegedly in Arizona.  It was such a good deal that she could easily afford to have it shipped.  She went to her bank and got financing.  The bank ran the vin number that they were given and it was good.  The bank gave her $8000 to buy the bike.  She sent the check to the seller.

I think you know where the story goes from here.

When she came to me the bank was suing her for the balance due on the loan.  Dipshit thought that because she'd been scammed she shouldn't have to pay the bank, and that it was the bank's fault because they ran the vin.  I didn't take the case. 

Some other attorney took $1000 from her and wrote a few letters.

#4 2008-10-02 09:21:49

Do the scammers ever buy fake motorcycles with fake checks?

And using an address that Google Maps can't even find, that's kind of a tip-off.

#5 2008-10-29 23:25:41

Karen,
I can't thank you enough for your post. Like you, I was selling a car on Craig's List. I responded to Charles Kings' initial response. He wrote back with an almost identical email to what you posted. But, before I saw your post I thought, "Well this is a US address so let's check it out". The first thing that I did was plug his "139 Lake Rd. Abbott, MS 39773" address into www.zillow.com to see if I got a hit. I did not. Then I Googled the address & got a hit on your post. So, when I responded to Mr. Kings' second email I wrote the following;
Charles,
Check out this link!! Ya made the small time bro'!

What he got here was a link to your post!!

Thanks So Much !!
Fred M.

#6 2008-10-30 00:29:58

Amazing what a valuable resource high-street is.  My wife's just glad I'm not spending this time fapping to some Bulgarian chatmodel.

#7 2008-10-30 00:31:11

karenw wrote:

Do people even fall for internet scams anymore? I'm trying to sell a classic VW

If it's a 67 vw bug, I'm interested. No joke.

edit: Sorry, didn't notice the date and it's probably long since sold.

Last edited by choad (2008-10-30 00:33:55)

#8 2008-10-30 04:21:57

fredm wrote:

Karen,
I can't thank you enough for your post. Like you, I was selling a car on Craig's List. I responded to Charles Kings' initial response. He wrote back with an almost identical email to what you posted. But, before I saw your post I thought, "Well this is a US address so let's check it out". The first thing that I did was plug his "139 Lake Rd. Abbott, MS 39773" address into www.zillow.com to see if I got a hit. I did not. Then I Googled the address & got a hit on your post. So, when I responded to Mr. Kings' second email I wrote the following;
Charles,
Check out this link!! Ya made the small time bro'!

What he got here was a link to your post!!

Thanks So Much !!
Fred M.

Charles, you suck!  Fred, take a look around the site and if you like what you see, stick around and join in the fun and games.

#9 2008-10-30 05:45:17

I would have told that guy off too!  I have a '70 beetle and i would'nt sell it for any amount of money!

#10 2008-10-30 06:23:29

'67 / '70 - johnny-come-latelies - no sweet oval rear windows there. Give me my dad's old '56...now there was a callipygous coleopteran.

Last edited by WilberCuntLicker (2008-10-30 06:23:49)

#11 2008-10-30 07:01:07

WilberCuntLicker wrote:

'67 / '70 - johnny-come-latelies - no sweet oval rear windows there. Give me my dad's old '56...now there was a callipygous coleopteran.

We must be on letter "C" in the old Mensa word-of-the-day study guide!

(he got the guide for free, you know? He didn't even have to take the test because his posse was so smart.)

#12 2008-10-30 07:01:13

fredm wrote:

Karen,
I can't thank you enough for your post.

You're welcome. I wound up stipulating that I would only sell the car in person, and for cold hard cash. Funny how that narrowed the field of potential buyers.

Choad -- thanks for the interest. And yes, the car has sold already. But I've got to tell you all, it wasn't a bug, but rather a 71 Squareback.

https://cruelery.com/uploads/thumbs/430_square.jpg

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

#13 2008-10-30 09:40:39

Nice Type III, but that is one odd paint scheme.

Buy and sell the aircooled stuff over at www.thesamba.com.

#14 2008-10-30 19:23:59

Goob,

Way ahead of you. That's where I bought it, got tips for maintaining it, and eventually sold it. Yeah, I know, the paint isn't OG, but boy did it turn heads.

#15 2008-10-31 07:03:27

Holy cow karen, somehow I missed that it was a squareback. That is a very desirable VW in my area.

#16 2008-10-31 07:14:41

Johnny_Rotten wrote:

Holy cow karen, somehow I missed that it was a squareback. That is a very desirable VW in my area.

NOW you tell me (grin) . . . actually, I thought about posting it here for a minute, but figured I'd be severely blasted for trying to make high-street my own personal garage sale.

Hey choad -- how about a classifieds section? It might bring in some revenue . . . ok, maybe not. I'd hate to see what this crowd would offer for sale.

#17 2008-10-31 12:30:56

karenw wrote:

Hey choad -- how about a classifieds section? It might bring in some revenue . . . ok, maybe not. I'd hate to see what this crowd would offer for sale.

This is not the sort of crowd that wants to own each other's used shit, get involved in money matters with each other, and know one another's personal addresses.

Otherwise, it's a dandy idea!

#19 2008-11-01 01:28:51

karenw wrote:

I thought about posting it here for a minute, but figured I'd be severely blasted for trying to make high-street my own personal garage sale.

WooHOO!

http://51plymouth.ironvale.com/

#20 2008-11-01 10:00:44

In an effort to stimulate our economy I just sold my 2000 to the kids and bought this.

https://cruelery.com/uploads/157_2009_nissan_maxima.jpg

Auto-edited on 2020-08-02 to update URLs

Board footer

cruelery.com